407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad

Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 07:40 PM

The story.
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 07:51 PM

Saw that on the news. Its quite sad. My guess is they will settle out of court.
On the news this morning they said something about the safety of other passengers had their been an emergency....
Does te airline have an argument? Maybe, but they will settle if they are smart. They will be vilified as the bad guy any way it goes.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 07:59 PM

KLM got her over there, it should have been able to get her back...the aisles are getting smaller it seems, or people are getting bigger...

How come our grandmothers were not overweight, but most of us seem to be?
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 07:59 PM

That's heavy.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
KLM got her over there, it should have been able to get her back...the aisles are getting smaller it seems, or people are getting bigger...

Could be that they walked 20 miles uphill in the snow in each direction to school.
Posted By: Snow Bunny

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 08:27 PM

It doesn't say whether the couple called KLM first to make the proper arrangements?
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 08:38 PM

The story I read said she tried several airlines. The last one put her on the plane, but she was incapable of moving from a wheelchair to her seats, and was too heavy for the crew to move. So they wheeled her off.

Also, the couple, though being from Hungary originally, did not seek medical treatment for her because they didn't trust the doctors over there.

I believe I read it in a British newspaper. This is more than a case of insensitive airlines.

Oh, and both my grandmothers were overweight. And diabetic.
Posted By: Sci_Comply

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 09:11 PM

My first thought when I read the headline to this thread?

"Of course she did...she was still a woman." Aw, my poor brain.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/27/12 09:12 PM

It's sad, but if she had such existing health issues was traveling abroad really in her best interest? And I'm sorry, but accomodating a 400#+ passenger isn't a "simple accomodation".
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:07 AM

Our modern diet has way more sugar in it than in times past. People focus on fat content when they should be focusing on the sugar and glucose content in their food. Problem is, many "low-fat" foods have an increased amount of sugar to make up for the taste.

I cut sugar and wheat out of my diet and have been losing about a pound a week for the last 8 months. Bacon and avocado are no longer "off limits".

Posted By: Skittles

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 01:05 PM

Yum - bacon and avocado. What a wonderful combination.
Posted By: Bankster

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 02:45 PM

Airlines are private businesses, they can deny whoever they want. I don't see a reason for a settlement. No ones rights were denied here, you don't have a right to fly.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:26 PM

I feel somewhat responsible. Had I booked a flight from there I'm pretty sure that they would have put her in the seat next to me. If she had a screaming infant or toddler on her lap, it would have been a guarantee.
Posted By: A_G

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:29 PM

Being fat is not a protected class.
Posted By: chenin

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:33 PM

She was not healthy so should not have traveled there to begin with...her fault, not the airlines.
She was overweight..her fault, not the airlines.
They couldn't ensure her safety so didn't allow her to fly....her fault, not the airlines.
Yet they are to blame for this????
What kind of wacky logic is that? And if they would have let her fly and ANYTHING had gone wrong it would have been the airlines fault, not hers...
Posted By: straw

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MrStillWait4Orny
Being fat is not a protected class.

Yet
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:37 PM

werd
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:38 PM

All of this would have been great (IMO) had she been refused the ticket in America, when she went to get her ticket to fly overseas in the first place. It's an assumption for anybody, fat, skinny, young, old, black, white, that if they fly you over there, they can fly you back.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:39 PM

I know there have been legislative attempts to make obese people a protected class, but being obese, for 99% of people who are, is a choice. No protection should be afforded for this...
Posted By: TB 12

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:39 PM

Being fat calorically challenged is not a protected class.

PC Police stopped by...

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: HermyGilmore
I know there have been legislative attempts to make obese people a protected class, but being obese, for 99% of people who are, is a choice. No protection should be afforded for this...

Some say being [other "protected class folk" (in certain jurisdictions, at least)] is a choice too! smirk whistle

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
All of this would have been great (IMO) had she been refused the ticket in America, when she went to get her ticket to fly overseas in the first place. It's an assumption for anybody, fat, skinny, young, old, black, white, that if they fly you over there, they can fly you back.

well, if she had been in exactly the same condition, then i think that would be a valid assumption. But she had progressed to the point that she could no longer walk, couldn't get out of a wheelchair, was unable to lift herself, was basically an immovable object and in the event something needed to happen, or did happen, she couldn't have been assisted quickly, and was in jeopardy of putting others in danger.
Posted By: chenin

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:46 PM

They said there was an issue with the seat, not that they were never going to let her fly. If there is an issue with the engine and I don't get to fly for safety reasons is that enough to sue the airlines?
Sorry, rant over. I just get so aggrevated with the sue happy society. No one wants to be responsible for their own actions.
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: raitchjay

well, if she had been in exactly the same condition, then i think that would be a valid assumption. But she had progressed to the point that she could no longer walk, couldn't get out of a wheelchair, was unable to lift herself, was basically an immovable object and in the event something needed to happen, or did happen, she couldn't have been assisted quickly, and was in jeopardy of putting others in danger.

I don't necessarily see the evidence of this in the article, but if circumstances had changed to that degree, i'd agree. It sounded like they had a chore getting her on the original flight too.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: chenin
She was not healthy so should not have traveled there to begin with...her fault, not the airlines.
She was overweight..her fault, not the airlines.
They couldn't ensure her safety so didn't allow her to fly....her fault, not the airlines.
Yet they are to blame for this????
What kind of wacky logic is that? And if they would have let her fly and ANYTHING had gone wrong it would have been the airlines fault, not hers...

Hey now, don't be trying to bring logic into this argument! laugh

A lawsuit will likely occur, and there will be a settlement to save face. Nobody wants to be the airline that hates "fat" people, because there are a lot of them and airlines can't afford the revenue loss or any more bad press.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:48 PM

I saw an article that said she had debilitated to the point of requiring assistance to do anything...

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:49 PM

from Faux? grin
Posted By: Peepers

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 03:52 PM

stick a mast in her belly button and set her in the Atlantic
Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: chenin
...sue Happy society...

Where do I sign up? The lack of appropriate choices in his polls has caused me much anguish and distress.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 04:23 PM

She was air-lifted into the flight out of New York. She was wheelchair-bound before her flight. She was missing a leg before she flew back to her homeland. She was unhealthy long before going to her vacation house and was bound to die anyway. These are the consequences of an sedentary lifestyle.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 04:39 PM

I saw an article that said she had debilitated to the point of requiring assistance to do anything...

This makes me curious. Can quadriplegics fly? Do they need their own assistant? How about people with muscular dystrophy? (I'm not trying to make an argument in favor of this woman; I'm genuinely wondering if accommodations are made for people who cannot get around on their own.)

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 04:53 PM

Presumably, MBH, if those people could fit into an airplane seat and be securely fastened in, they would be permitted to fly. So long as they weren't disruptive.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 05:08 PM

My thoughts are that this is a more a case of "we can't lift a 400+ pound person if something goes wrong" than anything else...I work with someone with MS, she flies frequently, but she also is mobile and requires no assistance...

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 05:09 PM

Probably not though if they weighed 400 pounds; there is a lift to get them into the plane, but may not be portable enough to get a winch down the isle to lift them into the seat(s).
Posted By: Bob The Banker

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:14 PM

In attempt to avoid being sued by her or other passengers due to saftey reasons, the airline is sued.

What a joke.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:15 PM

Doctor cites issues with modern wheat:

Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says"

I'm a believer now - I eat very little wheat these days and have noticed I don't feel as hungry and am losing weight at a steady pace. As of this morning, total weight loss is at 43 pounds since I started in April. I've gone through 2 rounds of clearing out my closet and just got rid of the smaller clothes I had bought in July.

Modern wheat combined with sugar/high fructose corn syrup is a recipe for obesity.

And I LOVE having a salad with bacon, tomato, and avocado.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:17 PM

other than the obvious, wheat bread, what else has wheat? a lot of items?

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:18 PM

As the price of many of these airplanes are very high, many are financed by banks.

Sound like a reason to blame the banking industry as the industry is blamed for everyting else that is wrong in the world these days. eek smirk

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: FinallyOrnified

Pasta, pizza dough, beer... my three primary food groups.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:22 PM

Anything made with flour - so most bread, rolls, cake, cookies, pastries, tortillas (other than corn tortillas), and on and on.

This blog goes into more detail:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/20-common-foods-containing-wheat/

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:24 PM

ok, that makes sense, most anything with carbs
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:27 PM

So you are bascially doing a version of Atkins or South Beach... low carb.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Pasta, pizza dough, beer... my three primary food groups.

I'll second that!
Posted By: Bob The Banker

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo

I'm a believer now - I eat very little wheat these days and have noticed I don't feel as hungry and am losing weight at a steady pace. As of this morning, total weight loss is at 43 pounds since I started in April. I've gone through 2 rounds of clearing out my closet and just got rid of the smaller clothes I had bought in July.

Modern wheat combined with sugar/high fructose corn syrup is a recipe for obesity.

...right... over-eating and lack of excercise are just overblown. It must be the modern wheat and sugar.

LOL.

People go the every length to place the blame anywhere but themselves.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:00 PM

All things in moderation.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:10 PM

Wait...moderation? Surely that does NOT apply to BEER! laugh

jk

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:10 PM

He's a quack.
Posted By: cbu3

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:49 PM

I think it depends on your definition of "moderation." laugh

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:50 PM

If the cost to consume beer exceeds 75% of your net income, you are not practicing moderation.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:51 PM

so you're saying 74% is ok
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:55 PM

so you're saying 74% is ok

Yes, but buying cheap beer is not an option so you may need a second job.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:55 PM

That's exactly what I'm saying, to comply with the rules of moderation.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 08:56 PM

I wonder if Happy has tried the Christmas Ale from the makers of Fancy Lawnmowers? Now that is some good beer! Probably has a lot of carbs and is not cheap.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 09:00 PM

It isn't wheat per se that is an issue. Processed wheat has none of the nutritional value that non-processed wheat has i.e. white bread is nutritionally awful vs. wheat bread which has nutritional value.

Processed foods contain higher sugar, less nutritional value, causing people to feel hungry soon, despite eating many calories.

I switched to a higher protein, lower card diet, eating less bread and less processed food, lost 15 lbs. without altering my exercise habits and my cholestorol fell as well.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker

...right... over-eating and lack of excercise are just overblown. It must be the modern wheat and sugar.

LOL.

People go the every length to place the blame anywhere but themselves.

Okay - be a smart @$$. I have tried restricting calories and doing exercise programs only to wind up gaining even MORE weight. But cutting out the sugar and wheat has resulted in a reduction of 4 dress sizes, and I have not even started a regular exercise program. The exercise program is my New Year's resolution so that I can get down to a size 4 which is only 3 sizes down from where I am at now.

But hey - everyone likes to sound like a know-it-all in the Cooler. I'm only speaking from personal experience so..., you know... whatever.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 09:16 PM

I wonder what size dress I can get into if I follow this.......

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 09:17 PM

So straw...you're eating fewer cards...has that reduced your fiber intake, by chance? smirk

(sorry...just could not help myself)

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 09:17 PM

shocked eek crazy

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
So straw...you're eating fewer cards...has that reduced your fiber intake, by chance? smirk

(sorry...just could not help myself)

lol

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Jay

It's based on the principles of those diets although I don't focus on carbs per se, but the TYPE of carbohydrate - i.e. those from processed foods. I wouldn't say it is the Paleo diet either since I have dairy products, but I have managed to stick to a plan of between 1200 to 1500 calories per day with a focus on salads, meat, nuts, fruit and veggies.

I also take cinnamon and coconut oil capsules which helped me to break the craving for sugar and wheat products.
Posted By: Snow Bunny

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 10:00 PM

So how did they get her back to the US or did they bury her there?

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 10:01 PM

So long as you can incorporate bacon into your diet, I'm fine with you. smile

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Santa Bunny

I don't recall reading that she was returned to the US, but she would be in cargo so heavy machinery could be used with ease and there should be sufficient room for the corpse.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 10:14 PM

It's based on the principles of those diets although I don't focus on carbs per se, but the TYPE of carbohydrate - i.e. those from processed foods. I wouldn't say it is the Paleo diet either since I have dairy products, but I have managed to stick to a plan of between 1200 to 1500 calories per day with a focus on salads, meat, nuts, fruit and veggies.

I also take cinnamon and coconut oil capsules which helped me to break the craving for sugar and wheat products.

does processed proteins cause any problems?

I'm thinking of things like (to the extent they're processed) pizza burgers, bacon, packaged chicken, slim jims, cheese

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Santa Bunny

I read that she was buried in her home country, and her husband, back here in the US, said he was glad he had to work on Thanksgiving to keep his mind off missing her.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 11:03 PM

I would guess PR has less problems with broken underwires with the drop in dress sizes....

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 11:40 PM

I would guess PR has less problems with broken underwires with the drop in dress sizes....

Unfortunately the "girls" are a bit stubborn - so while my pant size has dropped dramatically, the top hasn't been as quick to follow. However, many people tell me I shouldn't complain, so I don't.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 11:41 PM

does processed proteins cause any problems?

I'm thinking of things like (to the extent they're processed) pizza burgers, bacon, packaged chicken, slim jims, cheese

If the protein is processed with sugar and/or wheat, then yes - it's a problem. Bacon, so far, has been fine. Packaged chicken, lunch meat and cheese have been okay. I'm not real sure WHAT is in a Slim Jim so I tend to avoid 'em.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 11:49 PM

Not sure about you, but the rest of us will lose weight by throwing up and/or simply losing our appetite. laugh

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/28/12 11:53 PM

"Two Fingers To Thinner Thighs" - Colleen Kristen-Brewster

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 03:25 PM

Unfortunately the "girls" are a bit stubborn

See! I knew Happy was right about the other connotation in the BOLer I'd like to meet thread.

Speaking of said thread, how YOU doin'? wink

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
Unfortunately the "girls" are a bit stubborn

See! I knew Happy was right about the other connotation in the BOLer I'd like to meet thread.

Speaking of said thread, how YOU doin'? wink

I'm doing just fine Shug.... whistle
Posted By: swiggles

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:06 PM

...because the generations before us were NOT sedentary people who consummed massive amounts of over-processed food and junk food. This why I wash my own car (by hand in the driveway), mow my own lawn, clean my own house, exercise, etc, etc and try real hard to eat whole foods (meat, fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, healthy oils, nuts, legumes).

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:07 PM

But they DID eat greens seasoned with animal fat...biscuits made with lard...lots of fried meats....

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:13 PM

Our modern diet has way more sugar in it than in times past. People focus on fat content when they should be focusing on the sugar and glucose content in their food. Problem is, many "low-fat" foods have an increased amount of sugar to make up for the taste.
I cut sugar and wheat out of my diet and have been losing about a pound a week for the last 8 months. Bacon and avocado are no longer "off limits".

Exactly!!! Most low-fat, low-sugar or no-added-sugar products are actually UNhealthy. The hunter-gatherer diet makes a lot of sense. If what your putting in your mouth is not a food that our ancestors would have hunted or gathered, run the other way. And with that diet, most grains are off limits because grains are a crop....ancient ancestors had no crops.

A department at work hosted a "health fair" and everyone was supposed to bring healthy foods. You wouldn't believe the junk that was introduced.....most of it in the low-fat "diet" category. And that's because people don't get the difference between diet food and healthy food.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:15 PM

and low fat diet, not only has sugar for flavor but LOTS of salt. bleecchhh!

<<<---is not a health food nut, but does not like anything "diet".

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:15 PM

Or learn to enjoy life because it's short while also knowing how to live in moderation.

I'll have a Big Mac™ if I want. What I won't have is a Big Mac™ every other day (let alone week or month) like some people.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:16 PM

werd

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:17 PM

Why have a big mac when you can have a 4X4 with animal style fries?

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:17 PM

<----- prefers most diet pop/soda flavors over regular...too much sugar taste in regular.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:27 PM

I recently saw a photograph of a rather rotund woman with her mouth wide open and someone had captioned it "Big Mac™ Incoming!"

Don't know why these posts made me think of that, but it made me laugh. Now back to your original thread about morbid obesity.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:30 PM

Atkins....South Beach.....unhealthy

There are lots and lots of complex carbs in fruits and vegies.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:31 PM

Still sugar, although absorbed more slowly.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: straw
It isn't wheat per se that is an issue. Processed wheat has none of the nutritional value that non-processed wheat has i.e. white bread is nutritionally awful vs. wheat bread which has nutritional value.
....not unless the wheat bread is whole grain wheat bread....which, most wheat bread you see in the supermarket are not. Instead the supposedly "wheat" bread is just bread made from unbleached wheat flour.....no better than white bread....nothing good or nutricious about it.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:33 PM

The first three letters in the word diet are:

DIE

I gave up diet soda also as well as fruit juice and sweet tea. My indulgence these days is sparking water.

But those size 10 hip hugger jeans are now starting to fit a little looser...

(Can't wait for the after-Christmas sales....)

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:38 PM

Speaking of coconut oil......this a GREAT and healthy oil to use in baking, frying, on salads. It has an incredibly long shelf life and stands up to high heat (unlike the other healthy oil, olive oil).

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
But they DID eat greens seasoned with animal fat...biscuits made with lard...lots of fried meats....
There is nothing wrong with animal fat. I will bet money that if people cut out everything processed and grains and sugars (other than organic honey) and ate all the uncured bacon, meat, eggs they wanted, they would see NO increase in cholesteral level.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:46 PM

People tend to equate the word "diet" with weight loss. Your diet is what YOU consume. You can have an unhealthy diet, a healthy diet, a weight loss diet, a weight gain diet.

But yes....foods labeled as "diet" foods, make me run the other direction....as well as low-sugar, no sugar added, and foods with ingredients I can't pronounce.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:47 PM

Big Mac (subtract plants) not a diet food but a heathy food?
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:47 PM

<----- prefers most diet pop/soda flavors over regular...too much sugar taste in regular.

Agreed. I think i was the only 10 year old I knew who preferred diet soda over regular.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 09:48 PM

With some it doesn't matter as much - like ginger ale.

But regular Coke... sick

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: swiggles
Speaking of coconut oil......this a GREAT and healthy oil to use in baking, frying, on salads. It has an incredibly long shelf life and stands up to high heat (unlike the other healthy oil, olive oil).

Also - Coconut Oil is an anti-yeast and anti-fungal agent. Over the summer I would buy these half-flats of fresh strawberries at the farmers markets. Now most of the time, unless you can eat all of the strawberries within a couple of days, or make jam out of them, you're going to throw a lot of them away because they literally spoil overnight.

However, I found that if I drizzled the strawberries (after washing them and cutting the tops off) with a small amount of melted coconut oil, they would keep in the refrigerator for just over a week!

The good news for women is that Coconut oil will kill Candida yeast in your body.
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 10:23 PM

Canadian yeast?!? What's that???

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 10:24 PM

eh

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 10:42 PM

I'm guessing it causes more discomfort than Anne Murray.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BobbyBoucher
See! I knew Happy was right about...

Much like the "understood you" at the beginning of a command sentence in the English language is a given, "I knew Happy was right about..." is also a given in BOLland

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 11:19 PM

are absolutely right, once again.

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/29/12 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 'Lil Freak!
Canadian yeast?!? What's that???

Itchy as he-ll, that's what!
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/30/12 11:24 AM

JJ? Care to opine? smile

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/30/12 01:21 PM

Deek - I thought you were the bread baker? laugh

Re: 407-Pound Woman Denied Flights Home, Dies Abroad - 11/30/12 04:28 PM

Puts a little different spin on the phrase "Bun in the oven", n'est-ce pas?