Anyone for a cruise?

Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Anyone for a cruise? - 02/12/13 10:43 PM

I think Carnival will be offering discounts soon.

Quote:
On Monday, a passenger told ABC News by text message that cabin toilets were overflowing and the carpets were wet with water and urine.

Other passengers reported no air-conditioning inside cabins and an increasing stink inside the ship from sick passengers and a lack of food refrigeration.

Brent Nutt told the Associated Press that while those on board were being fed, his wife, a passenger, told him the vessel was becoming increasingly dirty.

"There's water and faeces all over the floor,'' he said.

"It's not the best conditions. You would think Carnival would have something in place to get these people off the ship.''
Posted By: basilring

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/12/13 10:45 PM

At least that ship isn't on its side near Italy.....

Or maybe that would be better?
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/12/13 10:46 PM

this just reminds me of home

which I should really clean one of these days
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/12/13 11:22 PM

Whenever I see "feces" in an article, it reminds me of Donnie Darko where the school gets flooded and one girl asks her friend "What's feces?" to which the first girl responds, "Baby mice." Awww!!
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 12:04 AM

"Everyone report to the poop deck!" shocked
Posted By: Big Dog

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
"Everyone report to the poop deck!" shocked

I can't - urine the way.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 01:35 PM

eek

wink
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 02:04 PM

Makes me nervous. Just booked a cruise last week on Carnival....

eek
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 02:16 PM

I have no idea why anyone would want to go on a cruise...if you want the experience, just go to Shoney's or Denny's around breakfast time on social security day...you'll have the same experience of waiting in line for food behind a bunch of old, retired people...and save a ton of money

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 02:29 PM

I have to agree with Happy, I did it once, and will never again... too many people. eek
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
I have to agree with Happy, I did it once, and will never again... too many people. eek

It gives me a chance to wear my tux

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 02:31 PM

eek You wear a tux to the buffet? laugh

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
eek You wear a tux to the buffet? laugh

The buffet is for peasants unless you are talking about the midnight dessert buffet and dress code would be; shorts, t shirt, sneakers, cumberbun and bow tie. Don't they teach you guys anything in the midewest? laugh

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TINKERBell

eek

You may have to change your username to TINKLEBell. smile
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 03:09 PM

I have enjoyed the cruises that I have been on, but I probably prefer just going to the beach. You can surf or swim or go into the jungle and hike, look at ruins, poop where you want, etc.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 03:23 PM

Subject line from the email I received from Sun Country Airlines this morning read "Hot deals on Caribbean cruises!". Ya think? laugh
Posted By: Happy Drugs

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 07:13 PM

Taking a cruise in a few months on that ship!!! I hope they have de-pooped the deck and have all their problems solved by then.

A friend came back from a cruise on this ship 2 weeks ago and they were having problems then with the propulsion.
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 09:04 PM

On Wednesday, Carnival Cruise Lines decided to cancel 12 more trips for the Triumph. The four-and five-day cruises from Galveston will be canceled between Feb. 21 and April 13. Carnival had previously canceled the next two trips departing on Feb. 11 and Feb. 16 after the ship's propulsion was knocked out Sunday morning.

Those guests who had planned trips will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, as well as non-refundable transportation costs, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities and government fees and taxes. Guest will also receive a 25 percent discount on a future three-to-five-day Carnival cruise or a 15 percent discount on a six-to-seven-day cruise.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/...led-4275429.php

It's going to be quite a long cleanup job.
Posted By: Big Dog

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 10:19 PM

In other news, the ship will be renamed "Triumh". (Notice there is no "P" in it?)
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/13/13 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bacon BooBoo
Originally Posted By: TINKERBell

eek

You may have to change your username to TINKLEBell. smile

grin

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/14/13 01:59 PM

slated to dock today...those wanting to leave today will be bussed in "luxury motor coaches" to New Orleans for a night on the town and on to Galveston tomorrow. Those staying until tomorrow in Mobile will be flown home.

I think i'd rather just rent a car and drive myself or fly out tonight on my own nickel and have them reimburse me...

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/14/13 02:16 PM

luxury motor coaches = 1964 yellow school bus with optional opening windows
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/14/13 05:37 PM

I actually went on a Carnival Cruise last May and loved it. It wasn't full of old retired people. Lots of young couples and young families. It was lots of fun and I would do it again. But it was on the new ship Magic.

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/14/13 05:48 PM

young families are even more wearisome than old people... ugh... whiny, snotty kids... eek

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/14/13 05:53 PM

I would never go on a cruise with that many people. How much time would you spend standing in lines? Not my idea of a good time.

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/14/13 06:02 PM

why would I go on a cruise to experience over flowing toilets, I'll just use my basement bathroom
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 04:17 PM

Just to add insult to injury...

Carnival Bus Breaks Down Carrying Passengers Who Were Aboard Cruise Ship

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 04:37 PM

Good grief, thos epoor folks.. eek

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Bimmer

did they hand out red bags?

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 05:27 PM

OMGoat! After all that, the last thing I would want to do is ride on a bus for several hours. frown

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 05:44 PM

And those were supposed to be the "luxury buses" to transport the passengers?!?!

crazy

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 05:45 PM

at least they didn't force onion sandwiches on them

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 05:47 PM

Cheese sammies on white bread would have probably helped with the no toilet situation...

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 05:53 PM

good thing they didn't serve bean burritos and fire brand chili
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 08:00 PM

"All 3,143 passengers aboard the 900 foot colossus, ..were already being given a full refund for the cruise, transportation expenses and vouchers for a another cruise. Carnival Cruise Lines is now boosting that offer to include another $500 per person. Gerry Cahill, president and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines, announced the additional compensation Wednesday. "

....this is not enough for 4 days stranded at sea ....
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 08:12 PM

What more should they get?

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Jay

Tickets to a Tiffany concert.
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 08:15 PM

They will likely get a lot more than this. I believe that there will be lawsuits. Especially if anyone's time is worth more than $125/day. I think the average compliance officer gets paid a lot more than $125/day.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 08:32 PM

I have never been on a cruise - and this makes me think twice about ever going on one.

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 09:01 PM

I would poop in a bag for $500

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 09:04 PM

i think that is more than enough...they aren't "owed" anything else...

although i'm sure there was more than 1 attorney standing at the bottom of the gangplank handing out his business cards and hoping to file a class action...

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Skittles
I have never been on a cruise - and this makes me think twice about ever going on one.

Bad things can happen anywhere - car/plane crashes, hotel fires, robberies, whatever. It wouldn't stop me from going on another cruise, but it certainly wouldn't be a Carnival cruise, or any cruise with that many people.

On an Alaskan cruise, our ship lost power, but only for about 5 hours. The crew was able to fix the problem, after they took a lifeboat into the closest port to get a part that was needed. There was no hot breakfast that morning. frown

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 09:22 PM

No hot breakfast!?!?! What in the world is wrong with you. I would have sued. Cold bacon just isn't as good, ya know.

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
i think that is more than enough...they aren't "owed" anything else...

although i'm sure there was more than 1 attorney standing at the bottom of the gangplank handing out his business cards and hoping to file a class action...

I am going to have to disagree with you on this. As part of an agreement (transactions) both parties agree to terms and conditions both written and unwritten. I do not think that Carnival met the terms, but the customers did (by paying). Thus, I expect that in the end the people will end up with a lot more than $500.

Carnival made $93MM last quarter. Profiting is no longer acceptable in the US. They will get sued.

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 09:50 PM

But they are getting refunded the cost of this cruise, credits toward another, cash, and transportation taken care of, thus compensated more than they paid.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 10:05 PM

After that ordeal, to be offered a bus ride for over 500 miles back to Galveston (if that is where your car was parked) would be dissapointing to say the least.

I like the idea of the lady saying she would check into a Mobile hotel and get home on her own.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/15/13 11:28 PM

You'd think Carnival would have a better Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity plan in place for this situation.

It's not like an engine fire hasn't happened before on a cruise ship. Anyone remember Carnival's Splendor back in 2010?

Cruise Ship fires

I thought this was an interesting article:

What cruise lines don't want you to know

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/16/13 12:05 AM

But they are getting refunded the cost of this cruise, credits toward another, cash, and transportation taken care of, thus compensated more than they paid.

Compensated more than they paid? Do you mean refunded their payment and given $500?

Do you really believe this will end at $500?

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/16/13 01:34 AM

And another free cruise (if they like), plus compensation for transportations changes, lodging, etc. to get them home. They will probably end up with some more cash when this is done. We took a Carnival cruise years ago and we had some engine issues as well. Granted, we did not lose power, but I thought they did an excellent job at making us more than whole for our inconvenience.

The cruisers signed off on iron clad agreements before getting on the ship. Awful thing to happen yes, but they were inconvenienced, not hurt or injured. They should be made whole and then some, but there is no reason any guest on that cruise should be made more than that. People néed to keep in mind that they went on a vacation on a boat in open waters with limited and minimal resources in the first place. When things go wrong, it's not going to be pretty.. It's no walk on the beach.
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/19/13 05:27 PM

Someone said it was hard to get off the ship there were so many lawyers trying to get back on. Wonder who they would sue if their car broke down in the desert and it took days to get repairs in to the little gas station that was the only thing within miles and miles. The car company? You take a chance anywhere you go and they should know that. Was it unforunate? Yes. I wouldn't want to go through it, but again I didn't like using an outhouse when I spent summers at my grandparents but I did.

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/19/13 05:31 PM

I think you got the point perfectly, QM. Some people are so sue crazy, though.

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/19/13 06:49 PM

saw a blurb on the news at lunch that there have now been 3 lawsuits filed for this, and one of the attorneys is trying to get it class action status. was across the restaurant and only saw the scroll, couldn't hear the talking head providing wisdom around this...
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Anyone for a cruise? - 02/19/13 07:21 PM

I heard something that Maritime Law will prevent anyone from being able to obtain much in the way of damages. I am not sure how accurate this is since I am not all that familiar with Maritime Law.