What is it about us?

Posted By: Skittles

What is it about us? - 02/26/13 01:02 PM

My husband says we must have the word 'Sucker' tatooed on our foreheads. To make a long story short, a teenage girl rang our doorbell last night around 7:00 and had a puppy in her arms. She said she found it in our front yard about an hour before and took it home - but her dad wasn't going to let her keep it in the garage until this morning to take it to the shelter. He wanted her to just put the little thing back in our front yard and leave it. This poor little puppy is probably about 8 weeks old - very chubby and well fed - and scared. Of course we couldn't just leave her in our front yard - especially with all of the coyotes in the area. She spent the night in the house with us and neither of us slept much last night. I will be taking her to the shelter this morning and paying her adoption fee. It was just a few months ago that my husband came home with a puppy that followed him around the neighborhood when he was running.

Geesh! I do think we have sucker written all over us.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 01:39 PM

It is the niceness attraction factor. Someone may have left him there knowing you would take care of it. Or perhaps the girl needed to find a home for a puppy and made up the story, which still gets you to the same place.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 01:44 PM

Hey Skittles?

SUCKAH! laugh

wink
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 01:50 PM

Coyotes need to eat too...you're endangering the circle of life...didn't you ever watch The Lion King? Don't upset the balance and natural order.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 02:19 PM

HG - that made me laugh a little. I have seen the Disney version - but my husband and I have tickets to see the play in Nashville in May.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 02:49 PM

What a coincidence! Just last night a puppy found a teenage girl and brought her to our doorstep. Of course we couldn't just leave her in our front yard - especially with all of the coyotes in the area. She spent the night in the house with us and neither of us slept much last night.
Posted By: B_F

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 03:05 PM

Skittles,

Instead of a shelter, consider finding a reputable rescue! If you're willing to pay the adoption fee for her, they will be happy to help you adopt it out.

What kind of puppy does it appear to be?

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 03:09 PM

Good idea B_F - but we cannot keep her any longer - our very old basenji isn't doing well with her in the house. She looks like (by my sister looking at the picture and I agree) that she might be a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. The shelter here is very good - and is no-kill. She will be adopted very quickly.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 03:16 PM

I had 15 dogs at one time because people dropped them off at my place on the river...I swore after all that, I'd never have more than 2 again...then I had 7 at once and now I have 4. At least I'm making progress. smile
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
I had 15 dogs at one time because people dropped them off at my place on the river...I swore after all that, I'd never have more than 2 again...then I had 7 at once and now I have 4. At least I'm making progress. smile

Recovery is all about baby steps. wink
Posted By: Dip

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Skittles
she might be a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix.

My hubby wants her! LOL...do you deliver? grin

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Dip

delivery fees for pets are not tax deductable
Posted By: manimal

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 03:58 PM

laugh !!

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 04:01 PM

Good idea B_F - but we cannot keep her any longer - our very old basenji isn't doing well with her in the house. She looks like (by my sister looking at the picture and I agree) that she might be a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. The shelter here is very good - and is no-kill. She will be adopted very quickly.

That's great news! Many "shelters" are not very good frown

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 04:02 PM

LOL That's when you check for a transport coordinator!
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 04:02 PM

... to go along with how many horses and cats?
Posted By: mtngrrl

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

delivery fees for pets are not tax deductable

They could be if she were a service dog! Dip, don't you need a service dog???

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: B_F

Coming soon to a theater near you...TRANSPORTER 4 - Starring Jason Statham...in this exciting episode, Frank is tasked with delivering a dog cross country, only to find that the microchip identifier located in the dog is really the plans for a nuclear weapon that can be used to destroy downtown San Diego. Frank must deliver the dog to the unsuspecting banker, remove the microchip, kill a bunch of bad guys, and scowl a whole bunch while driving the new Acura NSX.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 04:41 PM

She has been dropped off - received her first puppy shot - and her adoption fee has been paid. That was very difficult, but we had no other option. I'm sure they will find her a good home.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: B_F

Coming soon to a theater near you...TRANSPORTER 4 - Starring Jason Statham...in this exciting episode, Frank is tasked with delivering a dog cross country from an ad in craigslist, only to find that the microchip identifier located in the dog is really the plans for a nuclear weapon that can be used to destroy downtown San Diego. Frank must deliver the dog to the unsuspecting banker, remove the microchip, kill a bunch of bad guys, and scowl a whole bunch while driving the new Acura NSX.

Fixed laugh
Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Coming soon to a theater near you...TRANSPORTER 4 - Starring Jason Statham...in this exciting episode, Frank is tasked with delivering a dog cross country from an ad in craigslist, only to find that the microchip identifier located in the dog is really the plans for a nuclear weapon that can be used to destroy downtown San Diego. Frank must deliver the dog to the unsuspecting banker, remove the microchip, kill a bunch of bad guys, and scowl a whole bunch while driving the new Acura NSX. In the film's most climactic scene, he screeches the Acura into iDp's driveway, bangs open the front door...

Fixed laugh

Fixed more wink

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 05:43 PM

grin

I'd go see that, Happy laugh

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: DD Regs

... to go along with how many horses and cats?

4 horses and 1 cat...the 1 cat keeps bothering me...it's an odd number and less than 4 by 3. eek

I feel slightly unbalanced. frown

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 07:41 PM

You are unbalanced, dear. smile

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 07:48 PM

Thanks! grin

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 09:16 PM

You need some more cats, goats, rabbits, and chickens. grin
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 09:26 PM

Yeah, cause she'll need something to feed all those pet snakes and alligators she has now that her swamp is flooding! wink

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 09:46 PM

That's where the rabbits and chickens come in. :0
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: What is it about us? - 02/26/13 10:18 PM

circle of life

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 02:44 PM

My dogs ate all of my chickens and most of the previous cats.

Seriously. frown
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 02:49 PM

Can you send your dogs over to my house for a spell? wink

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 02:50 PM

Seriously. frown

I would think it would be difficult for the dogs to eat all of a cat.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 02:53 PM

Seriously. frown

You don't know my dogs. eek
Posted By: Peepers

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 02:55 PM

what, do you keep pet coyotes?

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 02:56 PM

Coyotes won't come near my place. They're skeert.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 02:57 PM

I was going to say... it depends on the dog! Mine will swallow "critters" whole if they know I am going to try and pull it out of their mouth.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 03:06 PM

^^^^SHE understands! smirk
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 03:12 PM

We were up to six dogs, then down to 4 dogs, where we said we'd stay. That didn't last long. Now at five dogs and two horses.

Cats, at our house, are sport, along with skunks, opposum, porcupines, badger and racoon.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 03:37 PM

Two dogs here: Neither have developed a taste for cat yet. But my dad's Australian Shephard loved cat.

The funny thing was, if a cat ran, he was dead meat, but if the cat wouldn't run, he would ignore them.

Thus the smart cats lived, the scared cats died.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: manimal

I was going to say... it depends on the dog! Mine will swallow "critters" whole if they know I am going to try and pull it out of their mouth.

My mom's 28 pound Irish Terrier will do that too! Swalloed a little birdie once to avoid giving it up, and the poor bird was still alive!!! Ick!

Puka ate a dove once...the whole thing. Cat caught it and brought it into the house via the dog door, then Puka stole it and took it back outside (thankfully) to do the deed. Then she puked it up. Then she ate it again. Dogs are weird/gross, even the little 6 pounders wink

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 04:19 PM

laugh @ Dip

My dogs have yet to catch a bird, maybe once we have a fenced yard and they can hunt off leash. I'm pretty sure the one will give up the dog food we buy and just live off what he catches outside. laugh
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 04:24 PM

Nah. Two of mine have a fairly regular diet of moles and they still eat anything that hits the floor indoors, as well. smirk

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 05:25 PM

My cat caught a bird once, I yelled at him and he dropped it. laugh

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 05:31 PM

My cat caught the dove the one time he went outside to chill out without a collar/bell on. Normally he "gets dressed" to go outside. Then at least the birds are safe, though I can't say the same for the lizards and gophers...
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 05:35 PM

Seriously. frown

At the store, they have this stuff.....
"Dog Food".
laugh

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 05:39 PM

My dogs could live off of the copious amounts of goose poop and rabbit poop that cover the land around us. sick

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 05:46 PM

I won't even tell you what my dog eats..... sick

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 05:55 PM

It always makes me laugh when we have visitors who obviously are not familiar with what "farm" dogs like to snack on out in the barn/pasture. They think it's so sweet that my girls want to give them "kisses." eek sick laugh

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Cat poop bonbons? Thsi is why my cat has a top-entrance cat box...

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:12 PM

No....it involves the bathroom trash can.....

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Becca
It always makes me laugh when we have visitors who obviously are not familiar with what "farm" dogs like to snack on out in the barn/pasture. They think it's so sweet that my girls want to give them "kisses." eek sick laugh

As a previous city girl I shudder at the thought of some of the things I've now seen on the farm. sick
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:33 PM

My dog loves what the rabbits leave behind. I do not.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:36 PM

My dog's philosophy is that if it is on the ground, it is fair game. And if it makes her chase it, it tastes better! Oh yeah, and sometimes bark on trees isn't safe either. smirk

All that said, the absolute manna from heaven is that which the horses provide. wink

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:43 PM

Now that my dogs are bound inside a fence...I feel sorry for them missing out on their barn treats...so, when the farrier comes, I take them some of the hoof trimmings as a treat. smile

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:45 PM

Mine love the trimmings off of the hoof when the horses are getting shod. They will dart in and snatch up that morsel.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:52 PM

My sister's dog has a weak constitution and ralphs all over the place if he gets to the hoof trimmings. Lily, on the other hand, has a stomach of steel so she gets them all. smile

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 06:56 PM

My little cat likes used Q-tips... sick

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ

who doesn't?!
Posted By: DoS

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 07:26 PM

My dog just chewed all the branches off of my cherry tree I planted last year. This dog better be able to flush enough pheasants to make it worth it ....

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers Mac

who doesn't?!

eek

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 07:34 PM

Maybe the title of this thread should be "What is it about dogs' stomachs?" laugh

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 07:53 PM

my dog eats...wait, i don't have a dog, i feel so left out of this thread... frown

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 07:55 PM

You don't have a dog? Seriously? What HAPPY person doesn't have a DAWG??? shocked

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 07:56 PM

I don't have a dog, I don't like dogs. They smell and drool and they bark and you have to walk them and pick up their poopies...

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 07:58 PM

we had a cat once...MsGilmore ran over it in the driveway...i think that was enough trauma for the kids...

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:12 PM

I don't have a dog, I don't like dogs. They smell and drool and they bark and you have to walk them and pick up their poopies...

As opposed to cats that leave fur on your pillows, claw the furniture, and have stinky litter boxes through which you must run seek-and-destroy missions?

wink laugh

<<-- has 3 cats, 3 dogs, and 3 horses. Now THAT is OCD at it's finest! grin

ETA: I forgot! I also have 3 saltwater fish in the aquarium and 3 goldfish in the water trough.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:14 PM

So what you are staying, is you have eddie instead?

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:15 PM

That about covers it, Odd.

Becca... what is up with the 3's? LOL

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:22 PM

Becca... what is up with the 3's? LOL

It's just worked out that way! I had four goldfish until my pony squashed one of them a week or so ago.

Speaking of....anyone want a pony? wink

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:24 PM

I am having a hard time picturing a pony with it's leg in a fish aquarium. laugh

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:26 PM

grin

It's one of those big black rubber stock tanks in their pasture - I keep goldfish in it to eat the mosquito larvae. Her Pudgy-ness likes to climb into it and splash around on warm days.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:44 PM

Oh! Duh! Stupid city brain. Imagine that, animals that actually live outside. Doh, Mani. crazy

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:52 PM

Oh! Duh! Stupid city brain. Imagine that, animals that actually live outside. Doh, Mani. crazy

Midewestern Horses have a bedroom in the main house? smile

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:54 PM

Have you seen some of the mansions up round these parts?! laugh
Posted By: bOaty

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 08:55 PM

No....it involves the bathroom trash can.....

Have that same problem with the former boyfriend/sometimes fiance's dog. sick Dang dog will eat a n y t h i n g.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 10:04 PM

]

Don't laugh..In Zanesville there was a story of a lady who rescued a horse and it lives in the house like a dog eek

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 10:15 PM

My poor thread

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 10:20 PM

My poor thread

laugh I was thinking the same thing! Might have been at the time we turned to "poop", but really, are you surprised?

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 10:22 PM

laugh !

Will the shelter keep you posted on if she gets adopted?

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 10:24 PM

]

Don't laugh..In Zanesville there was a story of a lady who rescued a horse and it lives in the house like a dog eek

Hah, don't forget Dillie the Deer!

Dillie is Part of the Family!

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 10:27 PM

]

Sara Jessica Parker lives in Zanesville? laugh

Where is Peepers when you need him?

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 10:28 PM

Our two new dogs "The blabs" as I like to call them, eat everything in the yard. I swear, if ever I have to go rabbit and deer poop hunting, they are the best. 2 things that are most annoying is when they roll in it and when they eat then decide to ralph it up in the living room mad

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 10:29 PM

I call one of ours Pac-Man because he will just follow the trail of poop. NOM NOM NOM

laugh
Posted By: bOaty

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 11:28 PM

Ugh! How can that not be horrifically unhealthy??? eek
Posted By: RebekahL CRCM

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 11:52 PM

My hound dog likes to bury her treats for later. That's cute, until it is a gopher stuffed into the cushions of the couch. In August. For days.

RIP, sweet La-Z-Boy. How I miss you. Alas, the greasy grimy gopher stain proved the victor.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: What is it about us? - 02/27/13 11:54 PM

I thought I remembered that Ceasar Milan did an episode on this issue. Maybe it'll help some of you.

I've found that feeding our dogs treats like bananas and carrots and giving them leftovers mixed in with their dry food for dinner has helped balance them. They don't go into the trash cans anymore while we're at work.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/28/13 12:16 PM

My poor thread
laugh

Re: What is it about us? - 02/28/13 01:02 PM

Banana's, Truff. Maybe I should try that.

BTW - we call our shelties 'Roombas' - because they'll vacuum the floor if you spill anything.

Re: What is it about us? - 02/28/13 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: RebekahL CRCM
My hound dog likes to bury her treats for later. That's cute, until it is a gopher stuffed into the cushions of the couch. In August. For days.

RIP, sweet La-Z-Boy. How I miss you. Alas, the greasy grimy gopher stain proved the victor.

OK...THAT needed a spew warning! laugh

You owe me a new keyboard!
Posted By: The Minion

Re: What is it about us? - 02/28/13 03:50 PM

Hey, wait a minute. crazyYou liked Baby Rooney when I brought her over for a visit! Baby the cat didn't like her, though! laugh

My English Springer Spaniel was not a trained hunter. She went on instinct. She would carry birds or baby opossums, or whatever she caught, and play with the bodies as if it were a ball. First, crack the neck. Second, throw it up and catch it a couple of times. Lastly, drop it at Mommy's feet because she would scream, DROP IT NOW! Ahhhh, the memories. frown

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:00 PM

So - Sunday morning I'm looking into our back yard. We have a six foot privacy fence and live in a subdivision. Off of the back of the house my husband built a raised planter bed - approximately 18 inches up off of the ground. And I see . . . two baby rabbits. They must have been born there and it's the first time we've seen them. They're about 4-5 inches long so they're young, but old enough to be on their own. My husband put fencing up so the dogs can't get up there (remember - we also have a dog door). I'm trying to figure out how to get them out before they venture out and the dogs do get them. They have been living underneath some evergreen type bushes.

Geesh - it's always something.

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:10 PM

There are some nice guy on the TV show Duck Dynasty who would know what to do with them. Dinner laugh

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:13 PM

They are WAY too little for dinner. Plus we couldn't do that. They are awfully cute - I just don't want to come home one and find a dead baby rabbit in my house that the dog drug in.

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:15 PM

Train the dogs to keep the dead baby rabbit outside.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:15 PM

Not to diminish your concern, but rabbit is delish!
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:20 PM

If you do eat them, save the heads for mani's dogs.

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:23 PM

You could call Billy the exterminator. He always catches and releases in the wild.

Then again, they would make great exercise and entertainment for the dogs. whistle

And JJ is write, mmm, add some carrots, celery, onions, salt & pepper, mmmmmmmmm. Put in a crock pot and wait for the goodness.

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:42 PM

I've had plenty of rabbit in my day - and yes, it's good; however there is no way I could do that to these tiny things - and no way my husband would ever eat it.

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: 'Lil Freak!
If you do eat them, save the heads for mani's dogs.

I was going to say... I'm going to save tons on dog food once I get a fenced in yard.

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:49 PM

no they will eat the dog food as well.

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 07:52 PM

They very much enjoyed the leftover homemade chicken soup last week...

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 08:09 PM

My dogs caught a huge rabbit in their fenced yard last summer...it was AWFUL. Rabbits scream like a mad woman! He nearly made it through the 2x4 no climb, but he was too big to get all the way through it...

then..a hawk caught a baby one out there and it was just as awful. frown

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 08:16 PM

RR Joker is right. There's a reason dog toys squeek all high pitched like that......

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 08:23 PM

Rabbit death screams are the worst. eek

Fortunately for the rabbits in my neighborhood my dog thinks of them as her friends. My yard is a safe haven of sorts. Good for bunnies, not good for my plants.

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 08:27 PM

coyotes sometimes eat their rabbit kill in my back yard

I haven't heard any rabbit screams though, they may kill them in someone else's yard and just use mine for their dinner table
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 08:29 PM

Maybe they know your place is a good one to set up a sloppy meal and not have to clean up after themselves?

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 08:31 PM

maybe they've seen me through my living room window in nothing but skivvies, a wife beater and eating four hot pockets

Re: What is it about us? - 04/02/13 08:31 PM

it was some what commical to watch a 10lb terrior on the trail of a rabbit. After she caught it she would shake it and throw it up in the air (snap). she would then push it with her paw to try to get it to run again. You would think that after the first 14 of them she would get the point that they dont run after they are dead.