Snowpacolypse

Posted By: Queen Mum

Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 03:54 PM

Well after two day of being at home I finally made it into work today. It started in Sunday evening and was still blowing and snowing when I went to bed Monday. Official reports say 16-18 inches but I know some people who measured a lot more. I had 18 inches covering my driveway. My front door has a waist high drift in front of it. I had a wheelbarrow sitting in my backyard which is well protected by trees amd it was completely covered with snow, handle and all. There was one fatality when a roof of a house collapsed on a man. There were a couple of other businesses that had roofs collapse also. Some buildings had 10 ft snow drifts covering one side. It has been crazy. Schools are still out as they couldn't get to them to scrape off the lots. They are still working to try to open roads so people can get out, especially in the rural areas and I don't live in a metropolis. We are a good 1 1/2 hours from the next larger town. Surrounded by lots of little farming communities. Some of our employees are still without electricity and some haven't been able to get out on their roads yet. But we are safe and back in business. This is the first time since I have been at this bank (almost 20 years) that we have closed for weather. We might have sent some people home early and left as soon as we locked up, but never not open.
Posted By: DeeQ

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 03:58 PM

Good grief, QM. Hang in there and good luck to your fellow Okies.
Posted By: Dip

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 04:07 PM

I saw all the pics...crazy! How much snow is normal for you guys?
Posted By: manimal

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 04:18 PM

I'm so glad to hear that you and your loved ones are safe and sound!

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 04:25 PM

We don't usually get much when it snows. A few inches usually. We got enough last week that I had to use Thursday to shovel my drive to get out. But it was only about half what this was. Most of the time I can drive over it in my drive with my car. Then it warms up and melts and we have ice.
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 04:32 PM

Good to hear from you QM! We are hearing that there are over 1000 power poles down. My power went out very quickly at the start of the storm and hasn't been restored yet.

We might see a lot of babies born around Thanksgiving this year?!
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 04:45 PM

Global warming is upon us!
Posted By: B_F

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 05:12 PM

Shouldn't this be Snowpacalypse 2, Go West Young Man? We had Snowpacalypse already on the east coast smile
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 05:31 PM

We were almost disappointed that we only got 3-4" (not really). They had built it up that we would get what you got. Then....pffft!
Glad you weathered it, but the folks from western Oklahoma are tough stock!
I guess on the upside, all that moisture will have a chance to soak in and help the short term drought. Its going to take a lot more to bring it back up to normal though.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 07:52 PM

I just looked outside to see how much snow has fallen...would you believe that when it is 75 degrees and sunny that it not only doesn't accumulate, but it doesn't even fall? This is so unfair...

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 07:53 PM

:stares:

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 07:54 PM

hope you're wearing sunglasses, the glare is rough
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 08:13 PM

Wow, Happy. You're so lucky. It's only supposed to get up to 68 today. If is weren't for the sunny skies, I'd be half frozen to death.

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
hope you're wearing sunglasses, the glare from my balding head is rough

fixed for accuracy. smile

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 09:03 PM

I will gladly share snow with anyone. I still have a drift waist high in front of my front door. My back wouldn't let me tackle that one too.

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
I will gladly share snow with anyone. I still have a drift waist high in front of my front door. My back wouldn't let me tackle that one too.

well, waist high is relative...if it is Shaquille O'neal waist, that is an issue...if Tom Thumb waist, hardly worth discussing

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/27/13 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
hope you're wearing sunglasses, the glare from my balding head is rough, although through the smoke-induced-unfiltered-Camel haze you probably think every day is cloudy

Really fixed for accuracy. smile

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/28/13 02:15 PM

QM - I hope you have power back on. Day 4 and I'm ready for mine to come back on. It was 61 degrees in my house this morning. We do have a generator, but it is not big enough to run the entire house. At least we have hot water for a shower. I'm luckier that some others so I won't whine tooooo loud.

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/28/13 02:28 PM

No power for a few hours is an adventure. No power for days (or weeks) is a pita! The ice storm about 6 years ago left us on generator for two weeks. But as you say, at least we had one.
How bout it QM, you off of candle power yet?

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/28/13 05:23 PM

I was one of the lucky ones. Lights flickered and lost power for maybe 30 second tops. I turned my heat up as high as I could stand it to have the house warm just in case. Do not have a generator and my flue is stuck shut. Firewood was covered with snow anyway. But I grew up on the farm and know what it's like. When the electricity was off we couldn't even flush the toilets so you fill the bathtub with water to use to refill the tank. Water wells don't pump too well without electricity.

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/28/13 08:22 PM

I HAVE POWER! Yay.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/28/13 09:20 PM

like the Wonder Twins?

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/28/13 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!

umm, okay...

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/28/13 09:50 PM

NO! 'lectric. You know. 220, 221 - whatever it takes.

Re: Snowpacolypse - 02/28/13 11:39 PM

I HAVE POWER! Yay.

Yea!
Posted By: Pup

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 12:17 AM

SW Oklahoma braced, as we usually do, for the whopping 3-5 inches that was forecast. Final tally was about 1/2 inch, none of which accumulated. 5 miles east of town, there was a line. On our side of the line, wet roads. On the othere side of the line, 3 inches accumulating on the highway with cars littering the ditches.

I miss snow and may have to drive up to see the Mum!! smile

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 02:14 PM

Buckle up northeast...prediciting more storms for you starting middle of next week through the weekend...
Posted By: bOaty

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 03:27 PM

I'm happy to report 72 degrees here today. smile

::ducks to avoid onslaught of snowballs::

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 03:44 PM

Buckle up northeast...prediciting more storms for you starting middle of next week through the weekend...
I don't believe those dorks. smile
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 03:56 PM

The "dorks" say rain
Posted By: Pup

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: bOatn Shasta

It's going to be 76 in Wichita Falls, TX on Monday. We have planned for some work to be done there on Monday, so I think I'll have to go "check it out". smile
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 08:54 PM

I can beat that, bOatn! 84 here today!
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 09:53 PM

I'm happy to report I'm 72 here today. smile

Originally Posted By: califgirl
I can beat that, bOatn! I'm 84 here today!

I had no idea you ladies were so old.

::runs out of thread::

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 09:54 PM

oh la-ti-da...

Pale is 25,956,352,154,636,947 give or take a year

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DD Regs
I'm happy to report I'm 72 here today. smile

I can beat that, bOatn! I'm 84 here today!

I had no idea you ladies were so old.

::runs out of thread::

Happy birthday if you can remember it. laugh
Posted By: bOaty

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 10:03 PM

(notice how I'm ignoring those silly boys)

Wow, 84?!?! shocked I'm going running at the beach in a couple of hours while my son goes surfing. smile Hope you get out and enjoy it (while it lasts) as well!

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 10:07 PM

hope you aren't in Australlia, where a shark ate a surfer yesterday

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/01/13 10:58 PM

It's 37 here now. Snow has melted a lot except in my backyard. I am keeping my daughter's dog while she is out of town and we will be taking a walk when I get home to find a patch of grass. She goes out into my backyard and as soon as she steps off the patio area she sinks in up to her chest. For some reason she just won't go. She went on the patio last night, but this morning I had to carry her out. I opened the back door and she turned and ran the other way!
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 02:16 PM

We actually had snow flurries here in the deep south yesterday. It was 29 when I got up this morning..... bit chilly. All my azaleas are in full bloom - this freeze will probably kill them and we won't have a beautiful Easter...
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 02:36 PM

Going to 85 today!

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 02:48 PM

Word is we'll hit 50 F early next week... that's of course after we get another 5-9 inches of snow tomorrow. cry

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 03:07 PM

Looking forward to more rain this coming weekend. Hopefully we are on our way to busting our drought. We were in the "extreme drought" category until last week's rain and snow. Our crops are looking much happier now. Keep it coming!
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 03:10 PM

We are scheduled to receive another 5-8" of snow today through tomorrow morning. Just another day in the life...

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 03:16 PM

never got about 50 this weekend, although sunny...high today is back to our normal 70 for this time of the year

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 03:21 PM

they are predicting a blizard and 40 degree temps. do the even pay attention to the temps?
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 03:54 PM

I got stranded on the tarmac in DC trying to get to Charlotte Saturday, tried to go through Chicago, it was snowing there, so I said goodbye to US Air and got back to Texas on Ameican.

It was a beautiful cloudless day and about 74, supposed to get up to 80 today.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 04:02 PM

It's boys basketball tournie week = the last snowfall of the season. Honestly, it happens this way every year. So all we have to do is weather the storm tomorrow and then SPRING! cool
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 05:11 PM

Saturday is supposed to be in the 60s, then highs in the 50s the next few days, so I have declared Saturday to be Grass Seed Day. Looking forward to getting out in the yard again.

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/04/13 05:46 PM

Looking forward to more rain this coming weekend. Hopefully we are on our way to busting our drought. We were in the "extreme drought" category until last week's rain and snow. Our crops are looking much happier now. Keep it coming!

Amen!!!
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/05/13 03:04 PM

Been snowing for the last 6-8 hours or so, thankfully it's the light stuff though. Lots of stuff closed/delayed, but it's not that bad. The one nice thing about coming to work before 7 is that the roads are empty enough that I don't have to worry about stupid people!
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/05/13 03:19 PM

We probably got around 5" or so last night. People were driving this morning like it was their first snowfall ever. crazy
Posted By: NotPerfect

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/05/13 05:46 PM

Its snowing here. Looking forward to my commute how with said idiots on the road.
Posted By: JacksTigger

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/05/13 07:35 PM

Me too frown
During last week's storm it took me almost 1 1/2 hr to get home--it normally takes about 30 minutes.

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/05/13 09:45 PM

Just keep it. I don't want any more!

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/06/13 02:51 PM

We got 7.6 inches yesterday. With what we already had on the ground, it's almost a foot deep now. Aaaaaand it's March. laugh

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/06/13 02:56 PM

We are supposed to get rain this weekend! grin
I'm running in the rain
Just running in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
smile
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/06/13 03:24 PM

We have good sized drifts, but the streets are all pretty much clear after some melting yesterday. The stuff on my deck all has at least a foot piled on it though, great for an overflow beer cooler.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/06/13 05:37 PM

Well a lot of the 3 feet we got from Nemo is gone, just in time for the foot plus coming between tomorrow night and Friday morning. The RI house in July has never sounded bettah.....

Re: Snowpacolypse - 03/06/13 06:23 PM

Do you guys cook cawd and lobstah when you are there? Or is this just an unfair but delicious sounding stereotype?