Mattress shopping

Posted By: Trees

Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:31 PM

We've thrown in the towel on our mattress. Its way overdue to buy another. Since we purchased ours it sppeears that foam mattresses are being touted as the best thing since sliced bread and that people are moving away from the box springs/coil style.

I know there are a lot of stats out about comparing the two styles.

So, I thought I would reach out to people who reallyneed and deserve a good night sleep_ Compliance folks.

So, if you bought a new one, I'd like to hear which style you bought? If you bought a memory foam type, are you glad you did? I am seeing quite a price range for those as well. Any and all info will be most appreciated.

And: no, I am not going to use my air mattress that we use for campling
I am not going to use our sleeping bags
I am not going to sleep on the floor, in penance for working in Compliance
I will not make a bed of hay or other grains that are being used
I will not give up sleeping altogether so I can spend even more time on Compliance issues
Thnaks!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:32 PM

I'm interested in this myself, although we've probably still got another year or two on the ones we have.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:32 PM

Dhurrie rugs are comfortable as well as roll up bamboo mats.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:35 PM

Our mattress is foam on top with springs underneath. It's the best of both worlds!
Posted By: tdogz

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:37 PM

I'll be looking for a mattress later this year. I've heard good things about latex mattresses, but have never tried one myself.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:40 PM

serta perfect sleeper
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:45 PM

Latex!
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:46 PM

Beautyrest Black series... best mattress I have ever had, and after 6 years, still holding up great.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:48 PM

Sleep number, would not buy another. to many broken and repaired parts (even under warrentee who need the issues)

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:50 PM

Barcalounger?
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:54 PM

Tempurpedic. Love it.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 05:56 PM

My parents have a latex mattress and love it.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:05 PM

This was our last mattress purchase. Simmons Beautyrest Cape Horn Pillow Top mattress.

It is a nice firm bead if that is what you are looking for.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bimmer
Latex!

say Vandalay Industries, say Vandalay Industries!!!
Posted By: Bimmer

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers Mac
Originally Posted By: Bimmer
Latex!

say Vandalay Industries, say Vandalay Industries!!!

laugh laugh laugh

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:23 PM

And: no, I am not going to use my air mattress that we use for campling
I am not going to use our sleeping bags
I am not going to sleep on the floor, in penance for working in Compliance
I will not make a bed of hay or other grains that are being used
I will not give up sleeping altogether so I can spend even more time on Compliance issues

If you just watch a soccer match you can fall asleep anywhere, no matress needed.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:28 PM

We purchased a memory foam mattress about 6 months ago (not a Tempur-pedic). We bought two Twin XL mattresses as we also purchased power bases for our bed so that we could elevate the mattress for reading, watching tv or sleeping. The power base has a zero gravity setting that puts your body in a position similar to the zero gravity lounge chairs that many outdoors stores carry. My back has not felt this good in a long time.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:39 PM

Oh my, at first glance I thought the subject said "Mistress shopping". blush

I've had a sleep number bed for several years. I love it and have never had a problem with it.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:42 PM

I must have gotten a bad one

items replaced:
Both air sections
Padding part of cover
Compressor
Posted By: B_F

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:42 PM

I bought a Serta memory foam mattress years ago, and will never buy one again. Make sure you're combined weight in the bed doesn't exceed the limitations. Mine, and I am not that heavy, broke down and after 3 years was useless. The "10 year warranty" only covered blown springs, because that was the only "manufacturing defect" that could happen in a mattress. Hey wait, this didn't have any springs! PFFFT!
Posted By: Hoosierland

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:47 PM

We got a Tempurpedic about 7 or 8 years ago. At the time, I think they only had 3 different models. We got the "basic" one because it felt the best of the 3 to us, and as an added bonus, was of course the cheapest of the 3. Now, there are probably a dozen to choose from.

Love, love, love that mattress. I hate having to sleep on a regular mattress now when we travel. The only negative I can say about it is that it can get a little bit warm in the summer if you are not a person who moves around a lot in your sleep. You sink into it just enough that it can get a little warm if you aren't changing your position much.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:51 PM

Hoosierland - I read your post too quickly. I thought you said 'We got the "basic" one because it felt the best to the 3 of us. Ha! That's almost as good as 'mistress shopping'.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 06:52 PM

so I was not the only one
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 07:00 PM

We bought the Sealy version of the Tempurpedic (I forget what it's called) 2 years ago. It's the one with the "cool gel" infusion that's supposed to keep you from getting as hot at night as the Tempurpedics are famous for. I will say that it still sleeps warmer than our old spring mattress with the foam topper did, but we still love it.
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:05 PM

I went shopping for mattresses about a year ago. After pricing them, I basically decided that if there wasnt something poking through it and it would remain basically horizontal, its a good enough mattress. smile

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:07 PM

RR Becca - I think that is the iComfort.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Skittles

is that an apple product laugh
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:19 PM

Good topic, as our mattress has seen better days and we'll be in the market within the next few months.

That one that RR Becca got (Sealy version of the Tempurpedic) sounds like what I'd like to get.

Any more opinions?
Posted By: madukes

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:33 PM

Can't remember what ours is but hate it. Wore out very quickly. We even tried bought of those memory foam toppers for it and neither one of us liked it - couldn't roll over easily and had a hard time getting out of fed LOL. The memory foam topper has now become additional stuffing/padding in my reclining sofa and the remainder will be used as insulation
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:35 PM

I'm not sure if there are different levels of Sleep Number beds, but the one that was abandoned at my house when I bought it a few years ago was garbage. It was only marginally more comfortable than sleeping on the floor. If there are different levels, I am guessing that this was the one that was shipped to third world countries because it was horrible. I did manage to sell it for $300 and probably could have gotten more for it.

I bought a Simmons mattress and it is fine. If you choose to save some money by taking it home yourself in the back of your truck, I recommend double checking the tie down straps before heading down the highway eek
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:36 PM

Yeah, that sounds right. I remember thinking it was an odd name.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit

is that an apple product laugh

Check with Bimmer - he is the BOL Guru of Apple products! In fact, he knows more about apples than Adam and Eve, Mr. Ed, and Granny Smith combined...
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:40 PM

Does anyone else flip and rotate their mattress regularly? That will extend the mattress life.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:41 PM

Yes, I do. It's quite comical do see me try and flip and rotate a king sized mattress all on my own. I've came close to taking down the ceiling fan before. blush

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:42 PM

<<< we rotate (can't flip with the kind we have)
Posted By: tdogz

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:44 PM

I do flip and/or rotate my mattress about every 2 months. Half the time I sleep on the couch though, which also extends the life of the mattress (but I'm sure it is shortening the life of the couch).
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:44 PM

I was forced to sleep on that hot, difficult to move in Tempurpedic foam stuff for a dozen years....when I could I went back to the top of the line Sterns and Foster box and mattress last year.

I now have my last mattress. This one will last me until I get to the nursing home.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:57 PM

Hoosierland - I read your post too quickly. I thought you said 'We got the "basic" one because it felt the best to the 3 of us. Ha! That's almost as good as 'mistress shopping'.

So did I! eek

What amazes me is how people are afraid to spend good money on a mattress. People will spend 15-20k on a car without flinching, which they spend anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours a day in and keep 3-6 years, but are not willing to pay 3-5k for a good mattress that they will spend a third of their day in and seem to keep for 10 years or better.

It is a good nights sleep, it is your energy level and it is your back... a good mattress is a whorth while investment.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:59 PM

JJ - I sleep about 4 hours per night...so should i only spend 800-1000 for mine, since it is 1/6th of a day instead of 1/3? smile

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
I was forced to sleep on that hot, difficult to move in Tempurpedic foam stuff for a dozen years....when I could I went back to the top of the line Sterns and Foster box and mattress last year.

I now have my last mattress. This one will last me until I get to the nursing home.

Most would like to keep their mattress past tuesday. laugh

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyO'Gilmore
JJ - I sleep about 4 hours per night...so should i only spend 800-1000 for mine, since it is 1/6th of a day instead of 1/3? smile

Dork.

Mrs. Gilmore told me how you could get an extra 10 minutes out of it, if your interested.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 09:07 PM

We flipped ours over the weekend, but I'm not good about keeping up with it. Our mattress is almost 10 years old and I think it's almost time. I'm trying to put it off, though; however I do plan on buying a good one when the time comes. JJ - I still think $3,000-$5,000 would be a bit much.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Jay

Dork.

Mrs. Gilmore told me how you could get an extra 10 minutes out of it, if your interested.

10 minutes is being awfully generous
Posted By: *W*W*

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sox in '13
Tempurpedic. Love it.

Tempurpedic. All the way!!

Spring for the Tempurpedic pillows too. They're expensive, but worth it if you think of how many sleeping hours you spend in bed. Hubby and I used to both wake up with lots of aches, pains, and headaches before we got our Tempurpedic.
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 09:49 PM

My mattress is probably 25+ years old. It has held up fairly well, but it is also time for a new one. I just can't decide which kind I would like. I love the memory pillows, but for some reason after time they seem to flatten out some. I have always wondered if the mattresses do the same.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers Mac
Originally Posted By: Just Jay

Dork.

10 minutes is being awfully generous

10 minutes? is that annualized? blush

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 10:01 PM

She likes to stretch it out a bit and play hard to get.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/21/13 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Sleep number, would not buy another. to many broken and repaired parts (even under warrentee who need the issues)

Got one - hate it! There are different firmness settings (which is why people get it, so each can be comfortable). They do that by having separate air cushions for each person in queen and king sizes. Problem, if the person on the firmer side crosses the middle, it's a downhill slide, and if the differences are enough, the person on the softer side wakes-up and the violator has to try and climb up to their side again.

It's not fun, and it definitely cuts down on closeness (if the occupants have different sleep number settings). Good part, if we go with a different mattress, we can use the sleep number as expensive floaties.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: RR Jen
Yes, I do. It's quite comical do see me try and flip and rotate a king sized mattress all on my own. I've came close to taking down the ceiling fan before. blush

What you do in the privacy of your own home is none of our business. blush smirk
Posted By: Basket Lady

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 02:28 PM

Bought a Stearns & Foster mattress and box springs a few years ago. Expensive, but the best money I've ever spent. You can't flip it - the mattress is not reversible, but I do rotate it every six months or so. You can't tell from looking at it that it's ever been slept in. Firm enough for my bad back, but enough give to be comfortable.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 03:13 PM

I guess I'm strange (or just conditioned) because I rotate my matress one week and flip it the next.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 03:20 PM

^^^ strange indeed. smile

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 03:33 PM

Look who's talking. wink

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: O'BaconBoy!
I guess I'm strange (or just conditioned) because I rotate my matress one week and flip it the next.

^ That's a man serious about maintaining a mattress.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 04:21 PM

or covering up the stains

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 04:23 PM

LOL laugh

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 04:25 PM

::stares::

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 04:58 PM

well, when the visquene parties leave the mattress saturated, turning weekly is the only course of action...
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 06:10 PM

Some motels put sheets on both sides of the mattress and just flip them after each customer.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 06:17 PM

eek sick

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 06:37 PM

it's ok, all of the alcohol flowing through your system should ward off the effects of bed bug bites
Posted By: Citrus

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/22/13 10:13 PM

I heard on the news - just earlier this month - that Consumer Reports has done their first comprehensive mattress testing in their 77-year history ... so you might want to check on that.

I was in an accident years ago and woke up in pain every day until I bought a new bed less than two years ago. I began feeling better right away after sleeping in a comfortable bed - I am no longer in pain - what a difference the new bed made in my life! smile

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/23/13 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Citrus
I heard on the news - just earlier this month - that Consumer Reports has done their first comprehensive mattress testing in their 77-year history ... so you might want to check on that.

I was in an accident years ago and woke up in pain every day until I bought a new bed less than two years ago. I began feeling better right away after sleeping in a comfortable bed - I am no longer in pain - what a difference the new bed made in my life! smile

What mattress did you buy that made your life so much better...Inquiring minds want to know. wink
Posted By: NotPerfect

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 11:59 AM

Love our tempurpedic. We got the high end one after returning the i-Comfort due to a defect. Hated the Sleep Number that we got rid of after 5 years.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 12:56 PM

I stayed at a hotel once that had a sleep number bed... it was not comfortable at all.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 02:35 PM

Our tenants just called and said they had bedbugs... NJ state law says WE have to pay for their problems. mad

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 02:39 PM

eek

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DeeQ
Our tenants just called and said they had bedbugs... NJ state law says WE have to pay for their problems. mad

wasn't the Joe Pesci movie "The Super" based on your tenement housing? Did you learn nothing from that?

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 02:46 PM

Evict 'em.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 02:51 PM

NJ law is not landlord firendly and very expensive.
Posted By: Dip

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 03:14 PM

I got a Tempurpedic, one up from the base model since it is slightly firmer than the thicker spendier models they have. i LOVE it. My husband does not. It does take a little getting used to since it conforms to your shape, when you move at night to change position it takes a little more effort to change from you "mold." But you get used to it and could love it just liek me. I got the moving base too and love sleeping with the back slightly up and the feet a little more up....but the hubby does not. When we get a bigger house and upgrade to a king, we may do the split in the middle thing so i can have my Tempurpedic and he can have something made of cement wink

And I say bigger house because I refuse to part with this bed, so it will go in a guest room when we have one laugh
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 07:20 PM

Has anyone tried a Cellupedic mattress?
Posted By: GenerousLife

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/25/13 07:35 PM

Simmons Beautyrest Classic Plush Top

After doing alot of research, I found out that every major mattress brand labels their mattresses for the stores selling them. So the identical mattress being sold in five stores will have five different names. I figure this is the way they prevent you from price comparisons.

I went to several stores and tried out various mattresses and decided on the one I liked the best, but due to customer service issues I did not want to purchase from the store where the mattress was located.

So I figured out what the base model was and went to another store and ordered it. Got exactly what I wanted and ended up paying several hundred dollars less. Plus it was no tax weekend.

Very happy with it. $1,000.
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/26/13 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Sox in '13
Tempurpedic. Love it.

Agree. I went with the most firm of the Tempurpedics which is actually the least expensive. Bonus.
Posted By: *W*W*

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/26/13 04:57 PM

I've watched several episodes of "Infested" on Animal Planet, which featured begbug infestations. Bedbugs are DISGUSTING and very hard to get rid of. Good luck! eek
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/26/13 05:24 PM

Had to deal with bedbugs in one of our rentals. Cost 5k for initial treatment then $75 per month for a year as follow up.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/26/13 06:22 PM

The homeless shelter I am affiliated with had them, and the only way they could completely eradicate the bed bugs was to get rid of all of the wooden bunks and replace them with metal ones, and get all new mattresses.

It was an expensive remediation.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/26/13 06:37 PM

I just scratch a lot, you learn to live with them.

Re: Mattress shopping - 03/26/13 06:45 PM

Well, you would be the expert in that field.

Happy birthday, Peepers. smile