Heading to Disney for Mother's Day

Posted By: NotDoneYet

Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 05:54 PM

My daughter invited me to join her and my 5 yr old grandson in Disney World over a long Mother's Day weekend.
I believe she is getting two free park tickets from a friend who works for Disney. Otherwise, anyone know some good sites to find deals for our trip? I do belong to AAA and AARP.

I just found out this morning so I haven't had time to start looking since I'm "working".
Thanks in advance!
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 05:58 PM

There's a whole internet board devoted to Disney. Collectively referred to as the "DisBoards." I'd start there. They have forums (forae?) for lodging, meals, tickets, and pretty much everything else you can think of. If there are any kinds of deals (and there always are), that's the place to find them.

Sounds like a great trip!
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 07:02 PM

I hated Disney, so i'm likely not a good source! grin
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 07:17 PM

I think Disney is Deek's favorite vacation destination
Posted By: NotDoneYet

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 07:38 PM

I haven't been there since 1990, and it was a bad trip.
As a grandma, I've found I am game for most anything for my grandsons!
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 07:45 PM

Here is a very informative site:

http://allears.net/index.html

I'm not sure they'll have a lot of info on "deals" because deals are scarce at Disney. You might try Groupon for dining deals outside of the park.

Watch out for the places promoting discount WDW tickets, because many of them are timeshare tour traps.

TripAdvisor also has a ton of Disney info, and not too long ago they added a Disney forum as a subset of the Orlando forum.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1954828-i20534-Disney_World_Florida.html

In contrast to H O'G, I love WDW.

edit to add:

Here's the crowd calendar and event calendar for May. Mom's Day weekend looks to be busy.

http://www.undercovertourist.com/plannin...y-opening-hours

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 07:59 PM

MBH - it is possible my distaste stemmed form a couple of issues:

1. Tickets could not be upgraded to a "park-hopper" without paying an additional $80 per person fee, which was not disclosed when we bought the tickets, because we would have paid the extra $10 at that point to do it, instead of later when we'd had enough of one park.
2. Son and nephew were 12/13 when we went, so a little too old for Disney characters
3. 90% of the rides are meant for kids under 10, and no rides geared to us big kids frown (i love coasters)
4. It is expensive as hades...and waiting 2-3 hours for each ride is silly
5. Park was at capacity each day, meaning long lines for everything...45 minutes in line for a burger was nuts
6. It is expensive as hades...

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 09:56 PM

You must have missed the memo: It's the Happiest Place on Earth!

You also forgot to add:

7. It's the most hot and humid place on Earth.

But I still like it. It's sounds like you never got out of the Magic Kingdom. Hollywood Studios (especially on Star Wars Weekends) and Epcot may have suited 12/13 years olds better.

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/26/13 10:22 PM

we did magic kingdom and hollywood...but had knocked out hollywood by 3 and wanted to go to epcot or animal...only to be told we could only go back to magic...
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 11:38 AM

Disney: eek All of those little evil children... crazy
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 12:20 PM

for Deek

http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 12:46 PM

Our Rules for Drinking at Disney

1. Have Fun
2. Try not to hurt yourself
3. Stay in control
4. Don't frighten the children

laugh

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 12:53 PM

For you 2 of 4 is not bad? laugh

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 01:03 PM

Which 2? grin

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 01:16 PM

1 and 2 laugh

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyO'Gilmore

6. It is expensive as hades...

Yes, but then there's this:
Disney stock price 1/2/2009 = $22.76
Disney stock price today = $56.63
The stockholders thank you.

My wife and I went to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival a few years ago and drank our way around the world. Besides the usual countries at Epcot, many more set up small pavilions. It was hard work, but we survived.
Posted By: NotPerfect

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 02:37 PM

I'm taking my monsters to Disney later this summer. Guess I should start planning soon.

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: NotPerfect
I'm taking my monsters to Disney later this summer. Guess I should start planning soon.

Step 1. ensure deek will not be in the park at the same time laugh

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: NotPerfect

ahhhhh, Orlando in late summer is always a treat

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 03:14 PM

Have no fear. Deek will never ever ever go to Disney again. smile

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 03:18 PM

Coward.
Posted By: Little Miss BSA

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 03:36 PM

If possible have lunch or dinner at the Whispering Pines Cafe located in the Wlderness Lodge Hotel...we had a blast there and the food was really good.
Posted By: QCL

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 04:15 PM

My Brain Hurts gave you some great links, NotDoneYet. You can make dining reservations at 180 days out. So if you want to dine make those reservations now. We are going later this year and already the more popular dining options are full.

Go to www.waltdisneyworld.com and sign up for a “My Disney Experience” account. It has a ton of neat features for when you are at the park, and you can create an itinerary and make reservations now. Go here to find a list of activities that are age appropriate - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/

Buy your park tickets in April - they traditionally go up in May. We are NOT doing the park hopper option, sorry happy. It adds $57/per ticket/day.

Also, go to www.touringplans.com it has a great crowd calendar, wait times for rides, ticket calculators, and dining menus for Disney locations.

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Coward.
It was so icky, and sticky and noisy... Blech laugh
Posted By: JacksTigger

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 05:31 PM

We have done Disney World a bunch of times and we love it.

However, this year I'm taking my daughter to Disneyland (CA)--over the fourth of July

Anybody have any suggestions for CA instead of FL?? I went to Disneyland as a child and remember only a little bit.

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 05:37 PM

The traffic in and around Los Angles has increased since the 1950's laugh

Try to find a place to stay that is close.

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 06:09 PM

We stayed at a motel just outside of the park, if I recall correctly. That would have been about 1967. Things may have changed since then.
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 06:19 PM

Whenever we go, I try to stay in one of the park hotels. It may cost a little more, but they offer busing to and from all the parks and Downtown Disney. That saves on the parking cost. also, they drop off and pickup right at the front gate - no walking or taking a shuttle to your car. A lot of the resort hotels also offer character breakfast/dinners. If the little one is into the characters, you could try this. It beats standing in line to meet the characters. If there is one ride you have your heart set on, get a Fastpass for it. It will give you a time you can return and get on the ride, usually in less than 15 minutes. Disney is pretty good about allowing you to bring snacks in. We usually carry a backpack with snacks, just check ahead of time what you can bring. Try to mix indoor activities with the outside ones, to give yourself time to cool down. There's a lot more, but you can find all that on the websites previously mentioned. Just have fun.
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksTigger
However, this year I'm taking my daughter to Disneyland (CA)--over the fourth of July

Anybody have any suggestions for CA instead of FL?? I went to Disneyland as a child and remember only a little bit.

That will probably be one of the busiest times of the year. Definitely use the PastPass system and read up on all the websites that others have listed. How old is your daughter? Do you know where you're staying? I would make reservations asap.

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: califgirl
Originally Posted By: JacksTigger

That will probably be one of the busiest times of the year. Definitely use the PastPass system and read up on all the websites that others have listed. How old is your daughter? Do you know where you're staying? I would make reservations asap.

Yeah we know it's the busiest time of year, but we are going with friends to Irish Dancing National competition that week. Staying in one of competition hotels ((The Marriott)) I think.
So that part is already done smile We are part of the cheerleading crowd. We went with them 4 years ago when the competition was at Disney World--so have to go again.

Daughter is 8 yr--she is excited becuase she can see Sleeping Beauty's castle (her favorite) instead of Cinderella's castle.

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 07:55 PM

will your boss keep your job open for you?
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers Mac

grin

I think 8 is the perfect age for Disneyland. They can walk by themselves and carry their own stuff, and I don't get hit in the ankles with the stroller. grin

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 08:14 PM

Sorry simple math, step in front of the stroller get hit in the ankle.

Ps do not look back for an apology or I may tell you that it is your own fault.

That was my last trip to disney with a 3yr old in a stroller.

And do not be the security personel who will tell you to park the stroller in a area that is to small to fit said stroller even if it was not occupied by 4 people. I have been know question the mental ability of said security person.

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: califgirl
Originally Posted By: Peepers Mac

grin

I think 8 is the perfect age for Disneyland. They can walk by themselves and carry their own stuff, and I don't get hit in the ankles with the stroller. grin

I had forgotten that smile The last time we were there, we had the stroller--this will be the first time (since my honeymoon) that I won't have worry about stroller parking laugh

She loves getting autographs from the characters. Last time we spent so much time in lines waiting to see someone and get them to sign the book--but she never complained and loved every minute and couldn't wait to go find the next one.

As far as I know I will still have a job when I get back whistle

Re: Heading to Disney for Mother's Day - 03/27/13 10:06 PM

On the other hand, the stroller was great for carrying everything and leaving it conveniently nearby.