How confident are You?

Posted By: Norman Paperman

How confident are You? - 06/05/13 04:58 PM

Hello BOLers,

I spent most of the day yesterday working on some spreads and produced some analysis that I'm pretty happy with. I had a meeting with some members of management today to recommend some changes based on my analysis.

Here's the problem. Sometimes I start to second guess myself and analysis when it comes to suggesting major changes to bank policy. Am I the only Compliance Guy that does this? I can be so confident and then I start thinking in circles and end up building doubt. Overall I still think I'm right but my darned mind keeps making me doubt myself.

I think it comes from wanting to be a perfectionist. I know that if I don't control myself that I will end up re-analyzing at least three or four more times.

I did this a lot in college.

What about you? Are you ALWAYS confident in your work?

GO!
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:03 PM

I think everyone has their moments of doubt, Garret. smile
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:04 PM

Word.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:06 PM

Rarely ever am I confident in anything I do, but I project confidence and people generally believe me! I blame it on lack of experience and lack of guidance, but I'm almost two years into this compliance thing now and expect myself to know everything.

If I'm doing anything with analysis though, I'm prone to redoing the work multiple times. I don't want to be proven wrong, lest I undo any bit of credibility I might have! Part of the reason I never pursued an accounting job, I was never efficient because I spent too much time second-guessing myself.
Posted By: manimal

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:07 PM

Totes.
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:11 PM

Analysis paraysis. It happens to everyone!
There is a reason that you came up with those suggestions and it is your job to make them when you think they should be done. It is managements job to review and scrutinize them. Sometimes they go with it and sometimes they chose not to. Either way you did your job if you made your suggestions on sound information.
Unfortunately, all the anaysis in the world rarely gives you true black and white answers. smile
Posted By: NotDoneYet

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:41 PM

I gave up on all the over-analyzing I always did in my many years of banking. I found out most of the time I was right on and for the rest, I was usually wasting time. I point out to co-workers, I am human and could make a mistake so feel free to look it over and offer any insight if you disagree. I keep my documentation as to how I reached a conclusion.
And when I do goof, I apologize and move on. That happened once that I can remember, but I realized my mistake before the meeting was out and corrected it in front of them all. They never forgot that I didn't have a problem being honest. No finger pointing or anything! Imagine that.
Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:42 PM

I am 100% confident...

Click to reveal..
...that double (or triple) checking the numbers is always a good idea. smile
Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:44 PM

I am about 65% confident...

Click to reveal..
...that you thought the previous spoiler would say something about mole-asses! laugh laugh
Posted By: Peepers

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Garret01
What about you? Are you ALWAYS confident in your work?

sometime after spending so much time double and triple checking it you just have to say Phuket and move on
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 06:23 PM

Confident? Most def. Well, most of the time, yes...ommmm...let me think about it....ahhh...okay, I'll just look that up again...

::DANI...would you please analyze this, sum it up and send it to me ASAP? kthx!::
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 06:26 PM

I would, but I'll have to double and triple check my work.....then go back to the reg to make sure I really understood what I thought I knew....then proof it one more time before I run spell check and send it to you.

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 06:34 PM

Why? Do you have confidence issues or something? crazy

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 06:35 PM

Nope, just an overachiever! laugh
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 06:46 PM

It's really not how much confidence does one have in oneself, but rather how incompetent everyone around you is!

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 06:46 PM

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 06:57 PM

laugh
Posted By: Peepers

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 07:15 PM

I'm generally confident except for the moment right when getting out of the pool
Posted By: manimal

Re: How confident are You? - 06/05/13 07:35 PM

Is it George Costanza Day around here or what?? laugh