All 50 States!!!

Posted By: basilring

All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 03:59 PM

Even as an adult, when I travel I love to play the game where you look for as many state plates as you can find. I usually get pretty close to 30 and quite often around 40.

For the first time in my life, I got all 50 states and Washington DC!!!!! In fact, I got Hawaii 3 times. Believe it or not, Wyoming and Montana were the last hold outs (I was traveling on the east coast). But, I finally got them.

Of course, it helps when your destination is a Marine base :-)
Posted By: Need Coffee

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 04:20 PM

How long of a travel time?
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 04:26 PM

You next goal, should you choose to accept it, is to find all 57 states!
Posted By: Xian Ngyuen

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 04:26 PM

Cool! When we play, extra points are given for Alaska, Hawaii, and cars with Texas plates. (because they are less frequent than trucks with Texas plates.)
Posted By: _erica_

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 04:41 PM

I love the game where you find numbers in order and see how far you can go.. 2-9 are the hardest because they have to be isolated.. Me and the husband only got to 100-something on our way from Pensacola to Tulsa... and we played the ENTIRE TIME.

We may try states next!
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 04:46 PM

I thought there were 60 states. (57 plus 3 more to go).
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: _erica_
I love the game where you find numbers in order and see how far you can go.. 2-9 are the hardest because they have to be isolated.. Me and the husband only got to 100-something on our way from Pensacola to Tulsa... and we played the ENTIRE TIME.

We may try states next!

That sounds like a drinkin' game. whistle

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Need Coffee
How long of a travel time?

It was about 16-17 hours to get to our destination. We took the PA turnpike and down through VA, which helped with a lot of the plates. We arrived with 42 plus DC (at this point we already had Hawaii). We were at Camp LaJeune about 10 days, but had all the plates by the 4th day. Found all but the last 2 in the first day.

My daughter and son-in-law live off base, but I think 3 of the plates were found on base when we went on a tour.

We keep track of Canadian plates too and oddly enough only had Ontario on the way down. We got one more (Quebec) on the way home. Usually, we get about 3 (mainly on semi's).
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 05:17 PM

On long trips, I just play Slayer really loud and drive aggressively. smirk
Posted By: Skittles

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 05:21 PM

Basil - my husband and I do the same thing. Our 'last' one was Rhode Island, but we got that several years ago in an off-season visit to Fripp Island, SC. In the two hour trip from here to my parents I usually get between 13-17 states. Of course you can't count Canadian plates - and only passenger vehicles.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 05:59 PM

Yeah, but how many of the Mexican states did you find?? smirk
Posted By: chenin

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:03 PM

I must have lead a sheltered life. I've never played this, but plan to next road trip to MI we take.

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:09 PM

It's funny chenin - once you start you look at almost every license plate that passes you - especially if you're on the Interstate.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:22 PM

My daughter has been watching for the car with license plate number next after hers. We saw it this weekend.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:29 PM

Cool!
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:43 PM

For those who play the game with your spouse on a road trip - shouldn't the person driving the vehicle be paying attention to, oh I don't know, the ROAD?????!!!! smirk shocked
Posted By: Peepers

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Cool!

you have this same reaction to shiny objects, don't you?

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Purple Pride
For those who play the game with your spouse on a road trip - shouldn't the person driving the vehicle be paying attention to, oh I don't know, the ROAD?????!!!! smirk shocked

I was thinking the same thing...especially if they were near sighted. shocked

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers
Cool!

Depends..what KIND of shiny objects? smile

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:54 PM

Nah - it works out fine for us. Heck, you're looking at the cars passing you anyway. The only issue is sometimes when you speed up to see a license plate - then it might get a little dangerous.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:55 PM

Cool!

Some one in the random thread may have some use for those Depends. laugh

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 06:56 PM

True. whistle

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Skittles
It's funny chenin - once you start you look at almost every license plate that passes you - especially if you're on the Interstate.

I learned to drive in Detroit, part of our game is nobody passes us, except on the shoulder!

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Skittles
Nah - it works out fine for us. Heck, you're looking at the cars passing you anyway. The only issue is sometimes when you speed up to see a license plate - then it might get a little dangerous.

It's funny... my 9-months pregnant daughter and son-in-law were in the car with us and the 3 of us saw Delaware (which I think was about #46 or 47) and we all screamed "DELAWARE" in excitement.

My husband, who was driving - did not find that very funny. We about scared him half to death!

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 07:04 PM

I think I might have a pass here? My husband has been a cop for 25 years - so he's used to looking at plates as he drives! grin
Posted By: Xian Ngyuen

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 07:55 PM

as opposed to paying attention to the cars on the road?
Posted By: Peepers

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/10/13 08:28 PM

Cool!

from the dollar store
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
I learned to drive in Detroit, part of our game is nobody passes us, except on the shoulder!

Yup! Once my sister used the shoulder to pass a car pulling a boat on the entrance ramp merging from one expressway to another (was in the back seat of that ride and swore never to ride with her again). I live here and will admit that most drivers are nuts!

Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 02:49 PM

I play a similar game. Its called "How Many Cars From Anywhere Can I Pass?" laugh
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 03:08 PM

I'm contemplating a "how many slow-driving trucks that want to drive exclusively in the left lane can i flip the bird to" game. Truck traffic around here is insane for no bigger than this area is.

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 03:10 PM

Truck traffic on my exit alone is ridiculous! AND, they take pride in pulling out in front of you every chance they get. mad

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 03:13 PM

My favorite truck move: red light 50 feet away. Two trucks are in the right lane. Truck two decides at last minute to swing over into left lane so that truck #1 and truck #2 can then drive beside each other for the next 11 miles.

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 03:15 PM

And people wonder how road rage happens.
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 04:27 PM

From my perspective, most of the time it's a car driver doing something stupid and not a truck driver. I can't tell you how many times I have seen cars cut off trucks or try to pull out in front of them or cause them to swerve or jam on their brakes. Last month, a Mercedes tried to pass a truck on the right as both were going through a roundabout. You should have seen that mess.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
From my perspective, most of the time it's a car driver doing something stupid and not a truck driver. I can't tell you how many times I have seen cars cut off trucks or try to pull out in front of them or cause them to swerve or jam on their brakes. Last month, a Mercedesazda tried to pass a truck on the right as both were going through a roundabout. You should have seen that mess.

you are from NJ
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 04:39 PM

Gotta keep sticking your hand in the cage, don't ya? grin

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 04:42 PM

There are a lot of stupid drivers out there, i agree with that. But why the burning need for these trucks to be in the left lane at stop lights? I also nearly got side-swiped by a truck about 6 months ago as i was going by him on the left (we were the only 2 vehicles around)......he covered at least half of my lane as he weaved across.
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 06:07 PM

If you are on a motorcycle and you pass said two trucks at said light, in the space between them (which is legal in a few places), the drivers of said trucks seem to grow an affinity for their horns. grin

Yes, I know......
Posted By: _erica_

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 08:42 PM

As much as semi-drivers are on the road.. you'd think they would be great drivers. Not so much.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: _erica_
As much as semi-drivers are on the road.. you'd think they would be great drivers. Not so much.

Same goes for bus drivers, company trucks, taxi drivers, etc. In Vegas, the only thing more dangerous than being in a taxi is being in a crosswalk when a taxi is nearby. eek

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/11/13 09:33 PM

Watch out for the little old lady from Pasadena!
Posted By: MidwestCFE

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/16/13 06:03 PM

we play that game and "didn't make it"-which is a count of how many dead animals we see on the side of the road & what types...we are required to be the 1st to say "didn't make it". its the twisted side of our family trips...

Re: All 50 States!!! - 09/16/13 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: MidwestCFE
we play that game and "didn't make it"-which is a count of how many dead animals we see on the side of the road & what types...we are required to be the 1st to say "didn't make it". its the twisted side of our family trips...

This sounds just like my family's sense of humor! (may have to add this game)