would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow?

Posted By: HappyGilmore

would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 08:42 PM

So, i saw teh Philly/Detroit game and the stands in Philly looked packed, even with close to a foot of snow falling during the game...

head west a few hours and Pittsburgh/Miami had muich lighter snow, but the stands looked about half empty (or half full if you prefer).

Baltimore/Minn seemed to have a light dusting of snow as well, but also seemed to be full...

Are Steelers fans wimpier? Would you sit through an NFL game in a blizzard-like snow as shown in Philly? Or would you watch in the comfort of your home?
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:09 PM

I had a chance to go to the Bears/Cowboys game tonight. Snow wasn't even thought about, it's significantly cold enough that I had no desire to tail-gate or go to that game for what it was going to cost.

Then again, I care about the NFL about as much as I care about the NHL, or the...whatever soccer has. USSF?
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:22 PM

I loved seeing all the snow, to me that is how football should be played, not in some dome on carpet.

I am hoping the superbowl game in NY has a driving blizzard.

Personally, I would.

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B
whatever soccer has. USSF?

Places Matt on the naughty list...Santa is watching
Posted By: QCL

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:32 PM

I had a chance to go to the Bears/Cowboys game tonight. Snow wasn't even thought about, it's significantly cold enough that I had no desire to tail-gate or go to that game for what it was going to cost.

Then again, I care about the NFL about as much as I care about the NHL, or the...whatever soccer has. USSF?

WHAT?!?! You aren't going?

Coldest game that I ever went to was the Bears - December 2005 = temperature of 12 and a -18 wind chill.
The Beer was freezing and exploding while we tailgated.
And according to Wiki attendance was 62,170 smile
Posted By: edAudit

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
whatever soccer has. USSF?

Places Matt on the naughty list...Santa is watching

Matt is is the "NASL" North American Soccer League laugh
Posted By: thomasj

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the Eagles fill the empty seats in the stadium with homeless people and people from local half-way houses shocked

I didn't notice the empty seats during the Steeler game. It could be because it costs an arm and a leg to get tickets, park, and eat there. Combined with the horrible season they have had, I could see that.

I love seeing games played in the snow like that - that's football.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:39 PM

We're just happy if its cold out for the football games.......
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:40 PM

I love football in the snow! I've attended my fair share of Illini, Northwestern, Purdue, and Bears games in the snow. Fun! A little peppermint-schnapps-laced hot cocoa and a lot of beer and you barely even notice the cold!
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:47 PM

I have been to a lot of games in the cold and snow - Old municipal stadium to see the Browns, Ohio State, and the stadium at the Pro football hall of fame (I think its Fawcett Stadium) for the Ohio HS state championship. We had snow fairly oftern at our high school games growing up. To me, that's just good football weather. If you dress in enough layers, it's really not that bad.

I was surprised at how many empty seats there were at the Steelers game - usually those are some pretty die hard fans who turn out no matter what the weather is.

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BurntSienna
I love football in the snow! I've attended my fair share of Illini, Northwestern, Purdue, and Bears games in the snow. Fun! A little peppermint-schnapps-laced hot cocoa and a lot of beer and you barely even notice the cold!

Yes, Rumple Minze is a great peppermint anti-freeze!
Posted By: Sci_Comply

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 09:58 PM

I would definitely sit through a game like that! My hubby and I were discussing what to wear and bring to stay warm if we ever got to go to one in those conditions. It would definitely be a story to tell when you get old(er)!

(All I would need is a margarita and I'd be set....those make me sweaty! :D)

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Matt is is the "NASL" North American Soccer League laugh

Ed - strangely enough, the NASL made a come back last year and is the first division professional soccer under MLS...and where the MLS expansion teams are now coming from

Matt - FIFA is the governing body for soccer worldwide, but the highest professional level in the US is MLS...USSF is the governing body for all soccer in the US...

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 10:09 PM

U nited
S tates
S issy
F ootball

?

laugh
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 10:13 PM

I've never been to a pro game, but we are getting ready to find out. I've got tickets to the Chief's game 12/22. I'm going to be a popsicle!
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: QCL-MamaBear

WHAT?!?! You aren't going?

Nope. They bought the tickets too long ago and paid way too much for them vs what they'd cost today. Five hours of driving each way, two days off work, cost of tickets, food, drinks, etc. No thanks, I don't splurge like that, especially on something I don't care about.

Make it a BOL gathering of cool people getting drunk and trying on goofy boots...yeah, then I'm in with no qualms.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 11:05 PM

Make it a BOL gathering of cool people getting drunk ...

The ticket price for this would be much cheaper than NFL games because NFL teams only play 16 weeks per year (not counting post-season and bye weeks) and certain BOLers get drunk 52 weeks per year with no bye weeks. laugh
Posted By: Peepers

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Are Steelers fans wimpier?

yes
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/09/13 11:24 PM

:walks in, notices there is no poll, walks out:

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/10/13 12:11 PM

For Deeq; Just trying to be helpful laugh

Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/10/13 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit
U nited
S tates
S issynooze
F ootballest
?

laugh

Fixed laugh
(although technically Ed's definition was correct as well)
Posted By: QCL

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/10/13 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Sci_Comply
I would definitely sit through a game like that! My hubby and I were discussing what to wear and bring to stay warm if we ever got to go to one in those conditions.

We've done subzero Bears games a couple of times. Best advice I ever got - buy a Chicago Tribune (or other thick newspaper) and put it between the concrete floor and your feet as you sit and watch the game. It insulates your feet from the cold concrete. My feet were warmer than my sister's in her stupid Ugg boots. laugh

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/10/13 01:47 PM

so it was -9 at the game last night? brrrrr.....
Posted By: B_F

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/10/13 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: QCL-MamaBear
Originally Posted By: Sci_Comply
I would definitely sit through a game like that! My hubby and I were discussing what to wear and bring to stay warm if we ever got to go to one in those conditions.

We've done subzero Bears games a couple of times. Best advice I ever got - buy a Chicago Tribune (or other thick newspaper) and put it between the concrete floor and your feet as you sit and watch the game. It insulates your feet from the cold concrete. My feet were warmer than my sister's in her stupid Ugg boots. laugh

HAH! My dad taught me that trick when I used to watch Sweetness in the snow!
Posted By: Bankster

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/10/13 04:57 PM

I had a chance to go to the Steeler-Dolphin game and said no thank you. They stink this year, and proved it again by giving-up more than 30 points to the Dolphins. No way I'm sitting in the cold for this team. I also don't like fighting traffic, paying $30 bucks for parking, or sitting amongst a bunch of drunks, but I would have gone if it were 50 or 60 degrees.

As far as the die-hards they are getting priced-out of going to games. It will be interesting to see who shows-up for the Super Bowl in New York. No way the celebrities and corporate suits are going to sit in the cold.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/10/13 05:49 PM

My brother went to the "Snow Ball Bowl" in the old Jungle. He was in a Press BOx though whistle When Sam took the mic and said "We are not in Cleveland" laugh
Posted By: PATSGirl74

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/10/13 06:13 PM

SNOW all the way !!!! I have been to Patriots games in freezing cold temps and snow and it is far more enjoyable (if your bundled up and have the right booze to body weight ratio) than sitting in driving rain. Done that too and it stinks

Have also sat through a Patriots game (in Foxboro) on January 2nd when the temp at game time was 60 degrees ..... Gotta love New England
Posted By: Beagles22

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/13/13 09:25 PM

Well, I know I am late to the conversation, but as a Green Bay Packer fan - the obvious answer is yes. Frozen Tundra all the way!!!

Last week a bunch of the beer and soda lines froze though, so as a die hard BOL drinker, that may impact my decision to stick around. Cold and drunk is one thing, cold and sober is crazy.
Posted By: noelekal

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/18/13 10:26 PM

I'll sit in a duck blind in driving snow but not an NFL game.
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/18/13 10:44 PM

Pro games are only fun to go too if its -10 and snowing so hard you can barely see. I mean, that's the whole point isnt it? A chance to dress up like Ralphy's little brother and drink warming, system depressing, adult beveages from a pair of hollowed out binoculars!?!?
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/18/13 10:57 PM

I'll be at the Chief's game on Sunday. The forecast is 23 and snow. Wish me luck!
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/19/13 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Jen
I'll be at the Chief's game on Sunday. The forecast is 23 and snow. Wish me luck!

Take a chunk of carpet or an old blanket folded up to stand on. Its what they all do there to keep their feet warm.
It works too.
Posted By: grmasterb

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/19/13 04:16 PM

My observation is that most people who claim that football is meant to be played in snow are likely to be watching the game from their warm, comfy couch. It may be OK as a player because you get warmed up through the physical exertion, but as a fan it sucks. Then again, I'm a Colts season ticket holder, so the weather usually doesn't damper my experience (My trips this season to Cincinnati at '08 to Cleveland were in terrible weather).

For those of you heading to Arrowhead this Sunday - Go Colts!

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/19/13 04:21 PM

Football is about the fans?

when did that happen?
Posted By: WonderWoman

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/27/13 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Beagle Queen
Well, I know I am late to the conversation, but as a Green Bay Packer fan - the obvious answer is yes. Frozen Tundra all the way!!!

I went to my first Lambeau game in October of 2011. I was bummed because it was like 65 degrees out. My dream is a FrozenTundra game - full of snow & the Green Bay Packers!!!
Posted By: JacF

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 12/27/13 08:48 PM

I was at the Philadelphia/Detroit game that prompted this discussion. We hardly noticed the snow (except to note that it made seeing the field difficult).
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 01/02/14 06:41 PM

Last week a bunch of the beer and soda lines froze though, so as a die hard BOL drinker, that may impact my decision to stick around. Cold and drunk is one thing, cold and sober is crazy.

They better have that issue resolved by Sunday!
Posted By: Peepers

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 01/02/14 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: #Just Jay

They better have that issue resolved by Sunday!

the stadium should be emptying out by mid 3rd quarter, who would want to sit and watch the Packers get blown out even further?
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 01/02/14 07:00 PM

mad
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 01/02/14 07:06 PM

Three of this weekend's games, including the Packers, are not sold out, and could be blacked out locally. Maybe the NFL needs to think about ticket/parking/beer prices.

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 01/02/14 07:20 PM

How about the 105,000 hardy souls who sat in the Big House yesterday to watch hockey's winter classic?
Posted By: manimal

Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? - 01/02/14 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Backstreets
How about the 105,000 hardy souls who sat in the Big House yesterday to watch hockey's winter classic?

That was a fun game to watch!