Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!!

Posted By: RBanker

Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 01:59 PM

Call me a cynic, or call me a realist - but just like in real life the pretty girl that we all thought that wanted a nice guy - went for the good looking hunk - instead of the mature, motivated, friendly, successful, etc...
Never again do I want to hear a woman ask, "Where are all the nice guys?" - they're at the curb where you kicked them!
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Averahe Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 02:03 PM

Ohhhhh Tex, that was harsh! We are not all like that!
Posted By: RBanker

Re: Averahe Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 02:05 PM

Well, I'm still hopeful, for myself and my fellow average joes - but for now I'll content myself with my church, my nieces and nephews, and my job! I think I'm just getting to old for the games!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Averahe Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 02:08 PM

I don't think all women play games, although some certainly do. Those are the 'high maintenance' women and you don't want them anyway.

Re: Averahe Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 02:09 PM

And some guys do, too!
Posted By: Rubaiyat

Re: Averahe Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 02:16 PM

There's the other side of the coin too. Adam was a sweet, successful, yet "average" guy. But, I wonder if he would have been so smitten with an "average" girl instead of the former pro cheerleader . . .
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: Averahe Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 03:22 PM

I hate to say it Maria, but it is fairly accurate what Tex says. At the church I attended several years ago, the women wanted to get married, but considered most of the men in the class "nerds." The woman who shepherded the singles class encouraged these nice girls to go out with some of these guys. Let me tell you, there were some guys there who I would not let my sister date, but there were some very quality guys in that class. These women thought of them as nerds though. This wise woman coined the phrase "recycle the nerd" and encouraged these women to give them another chance. They did and now several of them are married. I am amazed at some of the plainest looking guys who are now hitched to nice looking women. All of this because a wise woman took an interest.

Now, you may be asking yourself, "was zaibatsu one of the nerds?" Well, my wife insists that I was one of the prizes not one of the nerds. I have to say that I never had difficulty getting a date, but then again I never had difficulty asking for a date either.

P.S. My wife watched the last episode of that silly show last night and I caught the very end. All I can say is that fancy-boy that she picked was (in my opinion) just an actor hired to woo her. His pay was probably based on whether he could woo her away from the nerds. He did his job and now she gets to know the real man. I suspect he is a self-possessed creep. He just spends a little too much time on his body, hair, and clothes. She knows how to pick'em.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 03:25 PM

Notice that she really didn't pay Adam that much attention until she found out that he was wealthy. After she discovered how wealthy he was, then she became very humble and attentive to him. I was afraid she was going to pick him just because he was successful and rich. She actually had more in common with Jason than with Adam. And, I don't think she could have made Adam happy. She was very vain and would eventually not want to be seen with Adam because he is not pretty to look at. I was surprised that she didn't choose Adam, because she appeared to be so attracted to his money.

Did anyone else notice how much of last night's show was about her date with Adam and very little with Jason?
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 03:26 PM

If Adam would shave and fix his teeth he wouldn't be so bad.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 03:54 PM

Ah, but that's the point--looks were not supposed to be that important. He was born with those teeth. The shaving thing he could do and probably would if a woman in his life prefered him shaved. He is probably just trying to give his face some definition.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 04:00 PM

Thanks Boomermom - you helped to validate my point - the main reason he wasn't picked was because he wasn't a pretty boy! Why couldn't she accept him the way he was - because of her shallowness. It's a cruel world isn't it - so the next time anyone is tempted to slam men for pursuing the good-looking, younger lady - let's remember the shoe fits on both feet!
OK, hopefully I'm done venting about that ridiculous show - I think the only reason I got sucked into watching is I wanted to see what would win - substance or style - and style it is!
Posted By: VickiS

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 04:10 PM

I think that it's sad that so much emphasis is put on looks in our society. From the minute Jason walked onto the "set" I was sure that she was going to choose him. Does anyone remember the look on her face? Although she seemed impressed by the other two "hunks", she had a different look when he walked in. I think that things were pretty much decided at that point, but she had to continue to play the game and taking an "Average Joe" along to the F2 would keep some people guessing and possibly make her look better.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 04:19 PM

From what I saw from watching the last part of the last show only: She was playing a game for the cameras. It was not a hard choice...she was after the actor who acted like he was a nice guy. The real Jason (or whatever his real name is) will come out soon and she will hit the road. Or maybe two self-absorbed people can find happiness in this world. Although I have never seen it happen.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 04:19 PM

I can't agree with you guys yet. My guy, who is an absolute sweetheart, never cut his hair (I hate long hair on guys) and his clothes were always awful (didn't match, wrinkled, spotted, even). Talk about a nerd, all he needed was the pocket protector. But, he's very smart and has a great sense of humor. He now gets his haircut every 7 weeks (still too long for me) and takes his clothes and shirts to the cleaners (yes, I pick them out). And, he is my very own geekish type guy.
My ex was completely the opposite, he spent more time getting ready for a social event than I did. Maybe that's why I went for the nerdy guy I adore.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 04:24 PM

Anon - I also believe in making the best of what you have. If he truly wants to find a nice lady, why doesn't he try to make himself presentable? Sure there are a lot of nice guys that are not hunks. I'm not exactly a fashion model either, but I try to make myself look the best I can.
Posted By: JacF

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 04:46 PM

In light of the conversation, I couldn't resist this one:

Husband Mart

A husband shopping center (Husband Mart) has just opened where a woman may go to choose a husband from among many men. The store is comprised of six floors, and the men increase in positive attributes as the shopper ascends the flights. There is, however, a catch. As you open the door to any floor you may choose a man from that floor, but if you go up a floor, you cannot go back down except to exit the building.

So a woman goes to the shopping center to find a husband. On the first floor the sign on the door reads: ‘Floor 1 - These men have jobs.’

The woman reads the sign and says to herself, "Well, that's better than my last boyfriend, but I wonder what's further up?" So up she goes.

The second floor sign reads: ‘Floor 2 - These men have jobs and love kids.’
The woman remarks to herself, "That's great, but I wonder what's further up?" And up she goes again.

The third floor r sign reads: ‘Floor 3 - These men have jobs, love kids and are extremely good looking.’
"Hmmm, better" she says. "But I wonder what's upstairs?"

The fourth floor sign reads: ‘Floor 4 - These men have jobs, love kids, are extremely good looking and help with the housework.’
"Wow!" exclaims the woman, "very tempting. BUT, there must be more further up!" And again she heads up another flight.

The fifth floor sign reads: ‘Floor 5 - These men have jobs, love kids, are extremely good looking, help with the housework and have a strong romantic streak.’
"Oh, mercy me! But just think... what must be awaiting me further on?" So up to the sixth floor she goes.

The sixth floor sign reads: ‘Floor 6 - You are visitor 123,456,789,012,345 to this floor. There are no men on this floor. This floor exists solely as proof that women are impossible to please. Thank you for shopping at Husband Mart and have a nice day.’

The views expressed in this joke do not necessisarily reflect the views of the poster.
Posted By: RandomName

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 05:12 PM

Really, I'd like to see this show recycled as Average Jane and see what kind of commentary ensues when some dude gets to choose between some women of moderate attractiveness and normal bodies and a set of smokin' hot glamour babes.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 06:02 PM

Jac, that was very funny!
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 06:20 PM

I have to say that I think you guys and gals are taking these reality shows too seriously! No one in their right mind would go on these shows to find true love and romance! These people - men and women - just want to be discovered and make lots of money!

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 06:25 PM

I don't watch the reality shows per se, but have been known to watch one every great once in awhile. I tell you one thing, I'll be glad when this 'Trista and Ryan' thing is over. It's WAY too much for me. Their $1 million wedding was paid for by the network and they got paid $1 million to boot. Yes - true romance in the making.
Posted By: VickiS

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 06:28 PM

So much for "reality"!!!

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 06:33 PM

Quote:

Anon - I also believe in making the best of what you have. If he truly wants to find a nice lady, why doesn't he try to make himself presentable? Sure there are a lot of nice guys that are not hunks. I'm not exactly a fashion model either, but I try to make myself look the best I can.

My sentiments exactly! He looked like he had just rolled out of bed. It was as if he didn't care enough to put on a nicely ironed shirt and suit and shave. He mentioned how he kept getting nervous and using extra cologne. That could have backfired on him, too.

All I saw of this series was about half an hour last night, so I don't know each person's history, but I couldn't believe he showed up for the finale looking so disheveled.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 07:03 PM

I only saw part of the last half hour, but I am willing to bet that the producers had something to do with his appearance. Do you really think the producers don't have something to do with everything that goes on? Some contestants from some of these shows have even said that reaction shots were placed after a particular happening when that is not what happened at all. I am sure they manipulate all of this!
Posted By: JacF

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 07:07 PM

Quote:

Do you really think the producers don't have something to do with everything that goes on? Some contestants from some of these shows have even said that reaction shots were placed after a particular happening when that is not what happened at all. I am sure they manipulate all of this!

Which makes reality tv no different than 'magazine' news shows such as 20/20, Dateline, 60 Minutes, etc.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 07:11 PM

Or any other program out there. It's all for ratings. I understand that, but don't try to play it off as reality.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 07:12 PM

Even better - the next reality show will star Adam - all cleaned up and good looking!
Posted By: Georgia Golfer

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 08:05 PM

Did anybody see Joe Schmo on Spike? It was the same thing, but only one guy thought it was a realit show and everybody else was an actor. It was a spoof show that was kinda funny, but reality TV has taken a turn for the worse. Fear factor, give me a break & this wedding thing, I mean I'm trying to eat supper when this stuff is on!!!!! The only good reality show is The Osbournes & The Big Break. Of course, the Big Break guys are chops & are playing for crappy exemptions onto a crappy tour, but it would still be fun to try to some of those shots. Sorry for the mini-rant
Posted By: RGS

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 08:05 PM

Quote:

Even better - the next reality show will star Adam - all cleaned up and good looking!

Skittles is on to something, even though I never saw the show, I can see it now. Adam does a spot on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and they fix him up. Then he segues on to his own reality show where he has to choose between "plain" women who are funny and intelligent and "gorgeous" women who are less funny and less intelligent than most rocks. (Might as well stick with stereotypes.)

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 08:09 PM

RGS - I didn't watch the show either. I can just pick up enough reading the posts.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 08:25 PM

Even better - send him to Extreme Makeovers and see what happens. The ideas are just flowing now.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/09/03 09:06 PM

Don't forget "The Newlyweds". Jessica may not be very smart but at least Nick is good to look at.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/10/03 08:05 AM

Quote:

Don't forget "The Newlyweds". Jessica may not be very smart but at least Nick is good to look at.

I heard that Chicken of the Sea is considering using her for commercials. I really do fear for our future....
Posted By: mfc

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/12/03 03:54 PM

Quote:

Ah, but that's the point--looks were not supposed to be that important.

But they are in a since. You can't be married to someone if you don't think they are attractive!!! What would everyone be saying if she picked Adam.....that she only picked him for his money!!!

Z...Would you have married your wife if you didn't think she was beautiful. Just because someone is attractive doesn't mean they can't have everything else. I have always said (Im sure people will think I am shallow) that you can always be friends with "NICE" guys, but the man you want to marry is nice and attractive!! They are out there...I found one.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/12/03 06:13 PM

I knew she wouldn't pick an average looking guy when they showed the commercials with her first reaction to seeing the guys. Her disgusted expression, quickly covered by a plastic smile, said it all.

The problem with the show is, it is too short a time to get to know each other. If she took, say, 6 months to a year, she would see that the average joe's qualities can make him more attractive than the hunk who is a mama's boy. Relationships based on looks fail, because looks fade, wrinkles develop, weight is gained, etc.

Don't get me wrong; looks can cause initial attraction, but you still need to get to know the person to decide whether you are compatible enough that love can bloom.

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/12/03 08:09 PM

Quote:

If she took, say, 6 months to a year, she would see that the average joe's qualities can make him more attractive than the hunk who is a mama's boy.

Is it so impossible that a "hunk" have an incredible personality too????? Good looking guys get such a stereotype as well.
Posted By: mfc

Re: Average Joe gets the Rasberries!!!! - 12/12/03 08:12 PM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong; looks can cause initial attraction, but you still need to get to know the person to decide whether you are compatible enough that love can bloom.

My point exactly....you probably wouldn't start talking to him if you weren't initially attracted to him!