Cosmos

Posted By: manimal

Cosmos - 03/11/14 01:53 PM

Did anyone watch this weekend? I DVR'd and and watched last night. All I can say is I've NEVER felt so small before. My brain literally can't fathom how big the "multiverse" could really be.
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 01:55 PM

:thought this was a tribute thread to Pele and Giorgio Chinaglia:

I didn't watch.....what channel is it?

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 01:56 PM

I think all the Fox stations were airing it... and NatGeo too maybe?
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: manimal
I've NEVER felt so small before

never experienced this.....

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:02 PM

Sounds pretty cool...may have to check it out.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:03 PM

It came on and I was going to watch it, but my wife was like "Ew, looks like science." and put on QVC instead. smirk

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:06 PM

I think you'd like it raitchjay.

I liked the "history of the universe converted into a calendar year" segment. We (humans) exist only starting in the last minute of Dec. 31st.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:07 PM

The bit that we caught looked like bad animation, so we watch Chopped instead.

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:09 PM

I enjoy bad animation so I watched South Park
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:17 PM

It was not about the Soccer team in NY?

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:20 PM

See? Ed got my reference. smile

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:29 PM

I find it intersting that you think I'm more likely to post about soccer than drinks. laugh

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:31 PM

I really figured you were probably posting about a recent issue of Cosmopolitan. smile

(Ed isn't sure if you like Cosmopolitan for the articles or the pictures.) laugh

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:40 PM

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/2/860814/restaurant/Chicago/Cosmos-Restaurant-Incorporated-Forest-Park

not this one?

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:41 PM

I find it intersting that you think I'm more likely to post about soccer than drinks. laugh

The drink would require some type of cooking skills such as mixing ingredients.

laugh

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:45 PM

Cosmopolitan, the magazine?

I'm insulted. laugh I don't read that carp. Or look at the pictures.
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:53 PM

The commercials made it look like it was going to spend more time on science theory vs science fact. Seems like a lot of time to put into learning could be. What did you think manimal, was it more fact or possibility?
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 02:58 PM

I thought the show was below average. Morgan Freeman's wormhole is a much better program regarding the study of the universe. But yes, the Universe is a very, very large place.

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Wolfy
The commercials made it look like it was going to spend more time on science theory vs science fact. Seems like a lot of time to put into learning could be. What did you think manimal, was it more fact or possibility?

I think there was a good blend of both. What I appreciated was the description of things in easy to understand terms. Using analogies like a calendar to help grasp the history of the universe up until now was beneficial, IMO. I also liked that they started with the "familiar" (our own planet and solar system) and worked up to things we barely are beginning to understand (the edges of the observable universe).

I thought it was a good "first" episode and I'm looking forward to see where they are going in the future ones.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 03:25 PM

I thought it was a good "first" episode and I'm looking forward to see where they are going in the future ones.

To boldly go where no man has gone before! whistle

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 03:28 PM

Q: How many episodes will there be?

A: Billions and billions.
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 03:53 PM

I've been so busy taking care of the folks that I havent seen much TV. Is this the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan? If it is, dont miss the episode where he shows "The Calendar"! Its awsome!

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 03:56 PM

It's a sequel series, BB1. I'm surprised more people here didn't watch it. Or maybe they just didn't like it.
Posted By: Little Miss BSA

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
I've been so busy taking care of the folks that I havent seen much TV. Is this the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan? If it is, dont miss the episode where he shows "The Calendar"! Its awsome!

The narrator/scientist guy on the show was very motivated as a kid by Carl Sagan and his book...I think it's the premise for this show. He spoke of meeting him as a young kid and Carl signing a copy of his book for him etc.

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 04:11 PM

I wouldn't know a picture of Carl Sagan if i saw it.....i just remember Johnny Carson doing his impersonation of him.
Posted By: QCL

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 04:29 PM

It's a sequel series, BB1. I'm surprised more people here didn't watch it. Or maybe they just didn't like it.

It's waiting on the DVR for me smile
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 04:41 PM

I enjoyed it - but I also remember watching the Carl Sagan version as a kid. This show is trying to bring science to a new generation in way that will get them interested. There have been 30 years of discoveries to add to Carl's version, plus the special effects are much better now. Carl Sagan's widow is a creative consultant to the show. And Seth McFarlane (Family Guy) is an executive producer. He supposedly has put a lot of his own money into the show, and was one of the forces getting it aired on Fox.

It's a 13 episode series, and it goes head to head against new Walking Dead episodes for 3 more weeks.
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 04:52 PM

The original series, as narrated by Sagan, was hypnotic to watch. Between that and his book, he made theoretical science come alive for a young BB1 mind. Probably one of the most fascinting things I ever saw or read. I read the book in two days. It would have taken less tme if my mom wouldnt have made me put it down for meals! laugh
Posted By: Stupendous Man

Re: Cosmos - 03/11/14 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Red Herring
Morgan Freeman's wormhole is a much better program regarding the study of the universe.

yeah, probably. but this was the first episode so they may have just started with the "basic" stuff.

My brain literally can't fathom how big the "multiverse" could really be.

yeah, no matter how many times i see something showing it, i still get the weird, anxious feeling in my feet when someone shows it again. If you think the stuff they showed about the size/length of time and space is amazing, wait until they (hopefully) get into the stuff that shows how the two interact with each other. and how wrong our perception of each is.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Cosmos - 03/12/14 01:02 PM

I watched about 45 minutes of it, got bored and changed the channel. The cartoon piece was a bit much for me. Very interesting subject just didn't like how cheesy I felt the show was. Just my $.02. I did DVR it for my 11-year, he may enjoy it.

Re: Cosmos - 03/12/14 01:11 PM

The Cosmos were never the same after the retirement of Pele
Posted By: Stupendous Man

Re: Cosmos - 04/28/14 04:14 PM

Anyone still watching this. I watch it every Saturday night, and then am useless Monday morning since my mind wont let me sleep after. There's always a few tidbits that make me lay in bed thinking about how crazy the universe is.
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Cosmos - 04/28/14 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit
The Cosmos were never the same after the retirement of Pele

And Giorgio Chinaglia.

Re: Cosmos - 04/28/14 06:10 PM

I was hoping Cosmos was a new candy bar to compete against Milky Way
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Cosmos - 04/28/14 06:30 PM

This isn't about cocktails?!?! Sheesh.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Cosmos - 04/28/14 06:37 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one lost in space!
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Cosmos - 04/28/14 06:47 PM

Cosmos Kramer