Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions?

Posted By: Snowgirl

Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/12/14 10:52 PM

My husband and I are taking our 4 kids to Hawaii in April for the first time. We are going to Oahu and staying in the Waikiki area. Kids ages 23, 21, 18 & 13. Action is the word! Suggestions of things to do?
Posted By: Xian Ngyuen

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/12/14 11:54 PM

It's in Maui, but biking down Mt. Haleakala is loads of fun.
Helicoptering over the active volcano is also great, I have pictures of a lava stream overtaking a tree, street signs sticking up out of hardened lava.
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 03:50 AM

Bring lots of money. smile

Surfing, kayaking, snorkeling, hike up Diamond Head.

And everyone should see the USS Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor.
Posted By: B_F

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 12:41 PM

Deep Sea Fishing is some of the best in the world out of Oahu.

Free Fireworks on Friday nights at one of the hotels

Dole Plantation, Macadamia Nut Plantation, Dukes Seafood, hit the Bonzai Pipeline on the North Shore.
Posted By: JWills, CRCM

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 01:10 PM

We stayed on Oahu and we also did a submarine tour off right off of Waikiki Beach near the Hilton Hotel. We did the Dole Plantation, a luau one night (that was awesome), toured thenorth shore. We went to the Pearl Harbor USS Arizona memorial, there is a national cemetary. We rented a car and for an island that is less than 50 miles across, we put almost 500 miles on it in 10 days. We had an awesome time. It as just my husband and myself and another couple, no children. Our timeshare had a private beach, so one day we just hung out there. We did find a tiny little restaurant near our timeshare that we had breakfast at the second day, it ended up we went there most days for breakfast. Food was awesome. It was like a place for 'the regulars'. One morning there was a Harley Davidson meeting, the parking lots was filled with bikes. We walked in to a crowd in their biker attire, looking like the tourists that we were, at first feeling kinda out of place, but everyone we came in contact was super nice. We went to a giant flea market at the Aloha Stadium. It was a great time. Hope you have fun!
Posted By: Xian Ngyuen

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 01:27 PM

+1 for visiting the Arizona Memorial. It was a weird feeling seeing someone with my family name listed there, even though I knew it wasn't a relative. (My grandfather served in Japan during the occupation.)
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 01:33 PM

How can you be sure that it is not a long forgotten relative unless you have a more common last name like Roberts or something. smile
Posted By: _erica_

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 01:37 PM

I used to live on Kauai, and have a ton of secret spots. But they aren't tourist-y so wouldn't have the fun things for family to do. They are mainly just nice hidden beaches. smile You will have a BLAST! I am jealous.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 01:42 PM

Stay away from Malaysian Airlines
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit
How can you be sure that it is not a long forgotten relative unless you have a more common last name like Roberts or something. smile

What was Ken's last name?
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: EdAudit

as in "The Dread Pirate Roberts?" How cool...
Posted By: Ted Dreyer

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 02:39 PM

One thing that you can do on Waikiki is take an outrigger canoe ride. The group helps paddle out and then the canoe rides a wave in towards shore like someone surfing. When we did it, we got a ride on three waves and someone takes pictures of the group as part of the package. I still use the picture of our family with Diamond Head in the background as the photo for the desktop on my computer.

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 02:59 PM

Hawaii is one of the places I have no desire to visit

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

I totally agree with this. I don't see what the allure is. Fly half way across the world to experience one of the highest poverty levels, lowest education levels, and the weather that is available in several places on the mainland.

Great. No thanks.
Posted By: gacompliancegirl

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 03:03 PM

My brother is stationed at Pearl Harbor and we visited last year. We did the submarine tour off of Wakiki, Dole Plantation, a luau (which wasn't as great as I thought it would be) and visited the Arizona Memorial (there is LOTS to do - plan for a whole day). We also drove around the island to see the North Shore. I felt like the prettiest beaches were on the east side of the Island. Becuase he is military we were able to go on the Air Force base for our "beach time", but the public beaches over on that side were beautiful, too. There were lots of hiking opportunities all over the island - get a guide book to find the one that best suits your group. And don't miss the Fine A$$ Chocolates over on the east side of the island. The name of the store and the candies are funny, but that chocolate is no joke! Have a great time!!
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Ted Dreyer
One thing that you can do on Waikiki is take an outrigger canoe ride. The group helps paddle out and then the canoe rides a wave in towards shore like someone surfing. When we did it, we got a ride on three waves and someone takes pictures of the group as part of the package. I still use the picture of our family with Diamond Head in the background as the photo for the desktop on my computer.

That actually sounds like something I'd like to try.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 04:15 PM

Where on the mainland can you get the same experiance as Hawaii?

I went to Islands of Maui and O'ahu. The weather was perfect everyday. Great food! Prices were higher, but not outrageous.

Great Golf, and best of all NO SNAKES!

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: DD Regs

Bayonne NJ laugh

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/13/14 04:21 PM

Pearl Habor was special for me since my Grandfather was there during the attack. Toured the Missouri, the Arizona, and then took a bus tour of the island. Visited the punch bowl crater.

Walked up to and through Diamond Head.

Really enjoyed it, may go back someday to see the main island, and have some friend who just moved to Maui.

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 02:37 PM

I went to Islands of Maui and O'ahu. The weather was perfect everyday. Great food! Prices were higher, but not outrageous.

Not a beach person, don't play golf, just not a place I want to go. I'd rather spend the same amount of money and go to Europe...i'll include Ireland because they have no snakes either. (and I have friends that own a B&B in Hawaii, so i have a free place to stay...no thanks, not my thing).
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Snowgirl
My husband and I are taking our 4 kids to Hawaii in April for the first time. We are going to Oahu and staying in the Waikiki area. Kids ages 23, 21, 18 & 13. Action is the word! Suggestions of things to do?

Adopt me so I can go. laugh

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 02:50 PM

Not a beach person, don't play golf, just not a place I want to go. I'd rather spend the same amount of money and go to Europe...i'll include Ireland because they have no snakes either. (and I have friends that own a B&B in Hawaii, so i have a free place to stay...no thanks, not my thing).

Ireland is on my bucket list, too. Hawaii was just simply beautiful, as I am sure a Caribbean island trip would be. Not a beach guy either, other than taking in the scenery, if you know what I mean.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 02:53 PM

What kind of scenery would you expect on a beach in Hawaii? whistle
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 02:56 PM

I've been twice, and I'd go back in a heartbeat, if I got cheap airfare. I've never been to Oahu, so I can't help with the topic, but we've been to Lanai for a week and to Maui for two weeks. Maui is an incredible island. It's so lush on the northeast coast, but you can find a desert of black lava in the south.
Posted By: CULady

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 03:13 PM

Pearl Harbor for the Arizona memorial.
Aloha Stadium for the flea market. You can get all your touristy souvenirs cheaper there than the International Marketplace (which is in Waikiki, still worth a walk through though!).
Surfing, you can rent boards right on the beach in Waikiki. You could check with the hotel and see if they offer board rentals and lessons.
Go up to North Shore. Waves won't be huge in April, but still cool to see. Stop by Matsumoto for shave ice. Make sure you buy a pineapple from a roadside stand! Best pineapple on the island and they will cut it up for you right there.
Koa Pancake House in Kaneohe if you make it up that way. Or Wailana Café in Waikiki. Wonder if they still have all you can eat pancakes... Best deal in Waikiki! And they have an awesome coconut syrup!
Hike Diamondhead. Beautiful view from the top.
I personally would tour University of Hawaii at Manoa campus, but mostly because I graduated from there and would love to see it again! While you are up that way, you can hike Manoa Falls too.
I'm sure I'll think of more, but those are the big, have-to-do-touristy things I can think of.
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 04:42 PM

See if they are filming Hawaii 5-O and bring the kids to watch.

Buy a eukalaylie ( <--- how do you spell that?) and a grass skirt then drink alcoholic liquids from pineapples till you learn to play, sing and dance all at the same time. ^_^

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 04:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I know my 13 year old has some pretty big ideas - wanting to Parasail, snorkel, scuba! When my husband and I went many years ago, we loved snorkeling and hiking up to some falls. I don't think the kids will be too thrilled with hiking - not enough adventure! And the Pearl Harbor Arizona memorial was very good, although the long line to get in was not at all fun! Will definitely check out the Aloha Stadium for the flea market. We are planning on renting a car, so will definitely tour different parts of the island.
Posted By: CULady

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 05:03 PM

Oh and Hanauma Bay for the snorkeling! Make sure to go early and to avoid some of the crowds!

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 05:14 PM

Have a hot dog

http://nypost.com/2014/03/14/hawaii-tries-to-ban-eating-cats-and-dogs/

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 05:44 PM

You can buy tickets online ahead of time for the USS Arizona memorial. I think they have a reserved time system.

http://www.leonardshawaii.com/ for malasadas. yum

http://www.tedsbakery.com/ bakery, plate lunch, in Sunset Beach on the north shore.

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 05:52 PM

OH, got to have a puka dog smile

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 05:54 PM

OH, got to have a puka dog smile

the site says Hawaiian style. Real dog?
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 05:55 PM

Isn't that what Dpi's dog is named?

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Isn't that what Dpi's dog is named?

Yeap smirk

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 07:45 PM

It's on Kauai - wrong island.

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 08:02 PM

http://nypost.com/2014/03/14/hawaii-tries-to-ban-eating-cats-and-dogs/
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 08:07 PM

Not really the same as Hawaii, but I would say the Florida Keys are about as close as you can get on the mainland. SOmething about island people...just tend to be laid back. smile

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 10:25 PM

Yay! No Snakes!
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/14/14 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Snowgirl
Yay! No Snakes!

I'll take "Things Samuel L Jackson has Never Said in a Movie" for $600 Alex. smirk

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/17/14 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: CULady
Oh and Hanauma Bay for the snorkeling! Make sure to go early and to avoid some of the crowds!

Best to buy tickets ahead of time for this and Pearl Harbor so that you are guaranteed room smile
Posted By: joser

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/17/14 12:32 PM

Rent a car. Heard needed tickets for Pearl Harbor - nope - went on a Sunday at opening 8:00 - got the first (free) tickets out to the Arizona - less crowded until the other boat shuttles arrive. Worth going through the museum as well. Be prepared for a very moving experience.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/17/14 04:05 PM

It rains there a lot!
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/17/14 06:55 PM

My only suggestion - Have Fun! I've never been, but my parents loved it.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/18/14 03:45 PM

Just a suggestion for next time; try the 7 day cruise. I've been to Hawaii twice, first time before kids and we went to O'hau and Maui, we wasted precious time doing inter island flights; fast foward 20 years and two kids later, we did the cruise, it was great. We left out of O'hau,spent 2 days in Maui, 2 days on the Big Island and 2 days on Kaui. It was prefect. We rented cars and explored ourselves, took helicopter ride in Kaui (which is my favorite island) and just had a relaxing time. Either way you can't go wrong, it is poor in some spots but nothing like a caribean cruise, at least you are still in the US.

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/18/14 04:35 PM

Quote:
Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions?

yes, leave the family home, take your girlfriend/boyfriend instead!
Posted By: gacompliancegirl

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/18/14 05:10 PM

If you are going to rent a car, try to do it pretty far in advance.
Posted By: chenin

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/18/14 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Soccer
Just a suggestion for next time; try the 7 day cruise. I've been to Hawaii twice, first time before kids and we went to O'hau and Maui, we wasted precious time doing inter island flights; fast foward 20 years and two kids later, we did the cruise, it was great. We left out of O'hau,spent 2 days in Maui, 2 days on the Big Island and 2 days on Kaui. It was prefect. We rented cars and explored ourselves, took helicopter ride in Kaui (which is my favorite island) and just had a relaxing time. Either way you can't go wrong, it is poor in some spots but nothing like a caribean cruise, at least you are still in the US.

I did this a couple years ago and LOVED it!

Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? - 03/18/14 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: gacompliancegirl
If you are going to rent a car, try to do it pretty far in advance.

Yes, get it reserved, BUT, check prices along the way, sometimes they go WAY down...