For Mani!

Posted By: RR Joker

For Mani! - 05/19/14 07:16 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/17/dog-thinks-shes-a-cat-and-can-i-have-her_n_5340274.html

laugh
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: For Mani! - 05/19/14 07:28 PM

::Like::
Posted By: manimal

Re: For Mani! - 05/19/14 07:48 PM

ADORBS.

Thanks, Joker. smile
Posted By: JWills, CRCM

Re: For Mani! - 05/19/14 08:41 PM

How cute!!

Re: For Mani! - 05/19/14 08:45 PM

That story suits me in more ways than one. wink
Posted By: edAudit

Re: For Mani! - 05/19/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: manimal
That story suits me in more ways than one. wink

Why do you think that you are a cat as well? laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/19/14 08:50 PM

whistle

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 01:03 PM

laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 02:45 PM

This morning my dog thought he was human and that it was acceptable to go to the bathroom inside the house. mad
Posted By: QCL

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 02:48 PM

Mine did that yesterday Mani.
I feel your pain.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 02:49 PM

Well, stop setting bad examples for him then!

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 02:50 PM

This morning my dog thought he was human and that it was acceptable to go to the bathroom inside the house. mad

So long as he:

1) used the john
2) put the lid back down
3) flushed.

It's all good! grin

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Joker

So long as he: What really happened...

Click to reveal..

1) used the john stood outside for five minutes and did nothing
2) put the lid back down waited for humans to leave the room for 30 seconds
3) flushed. left a trail of presents leading up the stairs

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 03:10 PM

If ours were the same breed, I'd say they were related.
laugh
But my trail was in a circle, NEXT TO THE DARN DOOR!

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 03:21 PM

Dang! shocked laugh crazy

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 03:24 PM

laugh QCL !
Posted By: Skittles

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 04:04 PM

Mani - our poor old girl (she's 15 1/2 now and struggling) decided it was acceptable to squat in the house on Sunday night. We have a dog door; however she doesn't like to go out by herself. This morning I had to get up at 4:55 and open the door to the back yard and turn on the light for her.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 04:07 PM

Aw, Skittles! laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:20 PM

She's very old and having a difficult time. You do what you have to, but sometimes when I'm trying to get her to eat and take her pills I get very frustrated. I now cook rice and either chicken or beef - with gravy - for her meals. She won't eat dog food any more.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:23 PM

What a wonderful fur mama you are Skittles!

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:24 PM

Skittles, I have a 14 yr old that's deaf...but although she's really frail, she's still spry as a fox. crazy However, she likes to sleep late which can be difficult on weekday mornings.

So far, she seems to differientiate between weekends (when she can do as she pleases) and week days. I'm not sure what I will do when she doesn't. eek

She's gotten to where she falls alot on the hard floor. I have strategically placed rugs and runners in a complete track from my bedroom door all the way through the living area and out the foyer to the front door...just for her. smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:35 PM

Joker - you are so good to her. I'm sure she appreciates it, even if she doesn't let you know.

Thanks JWills. Having elderly pets (I have two old cats - Skittles who is 17 and Cupcake who is almost 16) can be a full time job.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:38 PM

So true, Skittles! Out of my 9 4-legged beasts, Belle is 14, Blue is 11 (but has really bad arthritis), and Joker is 30 and LM should be around 20 by now...I'd have to look. crazy

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:39 PM

I understand completely Skittles. I have two cats, we call them the 'Old Girls'. They are only 11, but I have a couple more who are quite a bit younger. I took in all of the strays my neighbors had about 7 years ago, and some have already passed over the Rainbow Bridge, but I still have a few left. We do what we can because we love them and they are family.

I will be thinking of you and your pets.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:40 PM

I read a story about the oldest cat alive at the moment - she is 24. Mine is 20 now.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:53 PM

I saw that...now THAT is OLD!

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 05:58 PM

I have strategically placed rugs and runners in a complete track from my bedroom door all the way through the living area and out the foyer to the front door...just for her.

In the mornings I have to slide a dog bed over to the stoop at the bottom of the stairs (it has rubber grippers on the bottom) so the one dog can launch himself over to the area rug. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 06:00 PM

LOL!

I also built a carpeted ramp so my heeler can still get in the bed...and they both (the girls) use it to get in my truck. That is the saddest thing because for so long, they both 'loaded up' every weekend with me and the horses and we hauled tail...now they have to have a handicap ramp. frown

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 06:13 PM

AW! Such good doggie -- and kitty! -- parents here. smile

ETA: Cats are good too. smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 06:28 PM

smile
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 06:28 PM

So far no ramps. But we do have one girl who needs her Thundershirt a lot this week. Poor rescue must have spent too much time in a metal pole shed. Just a rumble sends her in to terror. Thankfully, she's pretty much stopped trying to dig through the floor under the beds during a storm.

But my Smidgen is mostly deaf and sight impaired. Hand signals work as long as she looks up. smile She still likes to jump up and try to 'catch' the air coming out of my blowdryer in the morning tho.
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 06:32 PM

LOL!

I also built a carpeted ramp so my heeler can still get in the bed...and they both (the girls) use it to get in my truck. That is the saddest thing because for so long, they both 'loaded up' every weekend with me and the horses and we hauled tail...now they have to have a handicap ramp. frown

I too have rugs all over my house because of my older Aussie. She won't walk on wood or tile. Well, she will walk on tile if she doesn't notice when she follows me into the pantry wanting a cookie. It appears that cookies have powers to make one forget their fears. grin

I say that all the time to my friends and/or family: Load Up! grin I just say it without thinking.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 06:34 PM

TR, I have a rescue (since he was a thrown away little baby along with his brother). He didn't used to be so afraid of the weather...now, if I don't keep bedroom doors locked, he opens them, opens the closets and destroys EVERYTHING he can get his paws on. His brother is a little afraid, but not like him.

How do you do the thundershirt...I mean surely the dog doesn't wear it EVERY day just in case?

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 06:36 PM

My dog would eat the thundershirt-or at least rip it to shreds!

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 06:37 PM

I do the same thing, Okie...Load UP! Cookies do have magic powers...no doubt!

I can't even say how many times I've picked Belle up after she's fallen before I thought to put the rugs down...it's true when they say "I've fallen and I can't get up". She still rules all the dogs, but that "Queenship" has cost her in losing her footing. eek I just truly hope none of the other dogs (well, the boys, no way would Blue challenge her) decide she's no longer fit to be Queen....that could be ultimately very tragic.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 07:07 PM

Mandalaye (a basenji) still rules also. She is the 'Queen' and the other two dogs know it - although they still do test her occasionally. It greatly upsets my husband. Mandy is his baby and he is struggling with all of this.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 07:57 PM

I have lap dog fever. I love wire haired terriers. The kind that has the personality that matches that hair? We do have 4 BIG dogs and right now my husband is saying no to another, so I've been practicing:

Never say never.
I found it. Can I keep it?
It what followed me home. Um, yes, all 43 miles. Can I keep it?
It's a rescue. What could I do? Can I keep it?
They said I could have it. Can I keep it?
You want to hold her? Can I keep it?
She likes you! Can I keep it.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:00 PM

However, she likes to sleep late which can be difficult on weekday mornings.

My Lily likes to sleep in on weekdays too. Every morning it's the same thing. I return to my bedroom to get dressed and I say to her, "Are you going to sleep all day?". To which she wags her tail and stays in bed until I'm dressed. Come Saturday morning I barely twitch and she's up like a shot and ready for the day! Crazy animals.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:04 PM

laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:08 PM

Sarah - that's a riot!

Okie - I like you're style. I say let him hold her and then ask if you can keep her - and fox terriers are adorable!

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:09 PM

I saw a heeler pup on a rescue site this morning...and nearly did something about it. Thank GOODNESS, the next breath was a post 'adopted!'. eek

I DO NOT NEED MORE CRITTERS RIGHT NOW...I DO NOT NEED MORE CRITTERS RIGHT NOW! crazy
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:18 PM

I've got puppy fever so bad right now. Promised myself I'd wait till after baseball season is over but even the kids are wanting one now. Found a baby aussie I may have to get sooner rather than later!
Posted By: bOaty

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:23 PM

Not for my dog, he can't load up anymore, the old fhart will just have to stay home.

Alone.

Ya I say that now......

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:23 PM

How long has it been since you had a puppy? If awhile, PM me and I'll tell you what the little guy in my avatar did. He's almost two now and doesn't look anything like that picture. My husband and I have agreed that we won't get another puppy unless one of us is home all of the time. Ha!

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:32 PM

I have puppy fever as well. A couple weeks ago a co-worker brought in her german shepherd puppy. So freaking cute! I almost scooped her up and ran off with her! Love puppy breath.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:37 PM

It hasn't been long. We last had a mutt puppy last year but she was a chicken and car chaser so we found her a new home more suited to her quirks. I left a message with the breeder so hopefully they're willing to hold the mini I want until baseball is over in 3 weeks.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 08:45 PM

I keep telling myself you know you have enough dogs when you buy 120 pounds of dog food at a time.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:08 PM

Now that a fenced-in yard is (supposedly) in our future, the other human at home has been scouring the husky rescue website again. Apparently someone's memory isn't that good... the last rescue required surgery within the first few months to the tune of $3,000. cry

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:13 PM

I don't get why all of you people are talking in a thread that's only for Mani, but hey, why not?

My wife last night had the idea that we should adopt a rescue so our 3 month old puppy would have a friend to play with. I just stared at her and shook my head. The puppy is too much work, let's get another dog too! laugh No. Down the road when we can handle this one, absolutely!

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:14 PM

HAHA poor Matt.

Well, if everyone leaves I'll just talk to myself. I do that all the time, I'm quite pleasant company. smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:16 PM

Plus I'm really funny.

At least I think so.
Posted By: DoS

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:20 PM

my next door neighbor just got a husky puppy, they are new to the puppy world but fortunately whenever she gets out she ends up in my yard playing with my dogs toys (not in the street or running away)!

It's funny to watch Lightning looking out the fence at the puppy playing with his Frisbee.

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:25 PM

Yes, having a husky means being SUPER careful about open doors and busted fences. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:29 PM

Mani, stop talking to other people! You're making your other personalities jealous smirk

I'm glad our puppy is no longer small enough to find his way under the fence (without ample time to dig his way there at least). He tries for the door sometimes, but he's big enough to easily block now, as long as you're watching for him. He just wants to go out and try to "meet" the birds that are in his yard! laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:30 PM

You sure are super, Mani.

Tell me about it.

And so smart and funny.

I know, right?

Let's go get a beer.

Can I fruit it?

Only if Happy isn't around.

Better?

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:36 PM

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 09:37 PM

You sure are super, Mani.

Tell me about it.

And so smart and funny.

I know, right?

Let's go get a beer.

Can I fruit it?

Only if Happy isn't around.

Better?

Oh goodness...come on...no more caffeine or sugar for you today.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B
I don't get why all of you people are talking in a thread that's only for Mani, but hey, why not?

I never thought I would have to explain to a millenial how the internet world wide web interwebs works. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/20/14 11:01 PM

Gimme an Man
Gimmie an EH
Gimme an Mal

Whats that spell?

Manehmal

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 12:03 PM

You seem to be very pleasant company, Mani.

I love puppy breath, too - but have chairs and carpet and table legs that were shredded by <----- that guy over there. Oh - and the privacy fence has seen some major damage also. Of course now that he's almost two and has calmed down a little he seems to get sweeter every day.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Jen

Sorry Jen. I think the audit is getting to me. crazy

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 01:51 PM

Sorry Jen. I think the audit is getting to me. crazy

It will be ok...promise.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:02 PM

Jen, if you're going to be that easy on her, we might as well give her some Red Bulls and 5-hour energy shots and really see what craziness can happen!

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:10 PM

While we have the dog-market cornered here...I have a question. My son has a humongous bulldog/mastiff mix. He is OBSESSED with frisbees and is really good at catching them! But when I say he is obsessed, I'm not joking.

The problem we are having is finding one that will last more than 15 minutes...his jaws are massive and he accidentally breaks them quickly. I've tried the cloth ones, the soft bendy rubber ones (all dog ones) and the dense foam (Academy sports) ones.

The Kong ones have changed in some way and the reviews aren't as good, so I have not tried those.

Any recommendations out there?

PS. It is hilarious once it breaks them, bringing the tinist piece and still demanding to play. He also washes them. grin

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:13 PM

I was going to recommend the Kong. Kong's are the only toys my terriers haven't been able to destroy. There was another...it was from Target, but I haven't seen them in forever...the label had "Bad Kitty" on it. It was a "Chuck a Duck" and had a rope ring with a Kevlar fabric middle that had a duck on it. It didn't throw as far as a normal Frisbee but far enough for them to play/chase and they didn't shred it either.

Fat Cat Dog Toys

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:16 PM

Oh! I got him one of those, Jen, and he somehow twisted the rope and it can't be untwisted and so it's warped like all heck!

It IS the only one still in one piece at my house!

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:18 PM

Jen, if you're going to be that easy on her, we might as well give her some Red Bulls and 5-hour energy shots and really see what craziness can happen!

I can tell you right now: Instant sugar high then immediate sugar crash. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:18 PM

I'm glad I thought of them and found the website. Pete and Polly need some new ones.

This green kitty is a favorite and is looking very rough! The new dog likes soft toys and this might make her happy but yet not be destroyed by the rats.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:19 PM

Then we give you more Red Bull and watch it all over again!

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:23 PM

My poor sugar coma.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:23 PM

A little pricey but he should not be able destroy

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/amusement-park-games-giant-frisbee-big_847958821.html

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:25 PM

OMG Ed! That dog would bite that thing and swing round and round and ROUND! I could see it now! laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:30 PM

Thanks Jen. My guy loves to chew on squeaky toys and ours are in rough shape. He's also got an old Coffee Mate creamer container (large) that the dog sitters gave him. He's probably had it for about a year and it has lots of teeth marks, but he still gets it out and plays hockey on the wood floors with it. Loud, but hysterical.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:34 PM

Then we give you more Red Bull and watch it all over again!

Sugar-free Red Bull? No sugar rush to crash from, just lots of caffeine!

Frisbee related: I tried to get our puppy to go after one at the dog park the other night...he'd chase it down, but wouldn't touch it or try to pick it up, much less bring it back. Instead, we all got to run around a bit smirk

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Skittles
Thanks Jen. My guy loves to chew on squeaky toys and ours are in rough shape. He's also got an old Coffee Mate creamer container (large) that the dog sitters gave him. He's probably had it for about a year and it has lots of teeth marks, but he still gets it out and plays hockey on the wood floors with it. Loud, but hysterical.

These toys have held up very well for mine.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:45 PM

The Aussie pups were all sold. So we're going with my second choice. Going to visit a Jack Russell puppy this evening after work. The kids are excited to have a puppy that will be an active dog unlike our geriatric Wemaraner. Hurry up 5:00!!

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 02:51 PM

Aussies are usually abundant on rescue sites...just saying. wink

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie
The Aussie pups were all sold. So we're going with my second choice. Going to visit a Jack Russell puppy this evening after work. The kids are excited to have a puppy that will be an active dog unlike our geriatric Wemaraner. Hurry up 5:00!!

When did the weimie become inactive? I just 'rescued' a 6 year old and she is still full of energy and easily able to run 3 miles with me.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 03:17 PM

Maybe I need to look into an Aussie rescue around here. I'm so torn. I love both breeds so much. I know I'll love either one. Heck I'll probably get one of each!

Jen our old man is pushing 15 this year. He's getting to where he pretty much lays around all day when it's hot. He's still active in the mornings and the late evenings but not much for running around with my little guys. He's been a great dog and I just want him to live comfortably for however he's got left.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 03:26 PM

I love me some JRT. I've had two. A rubber band on cocaine has always been my description. I remember when my husband would get to the top of the house stairs with me down below and we would toss a tennis ball back and forth. We were attempting to wear out our first JRT puppy so we could go to bed. I've always thought that Terriers have so much personality.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 03:28 PM

Maybe I need to look into an Aussie rescue around here. I'm so torn. I love both breeds so much. I know I'll love either one. Heck I'll probably get one of each!

Jen our old man is pushing 15 this year. He's getting to where he pretty much lays around all day when it's hot. He's still active in the mornings and the late evenings but not much for running around with my little guys. He's been a great dog and I just want him to live comfortably for however he's got left.

I will ask around up here at our dog rescues to see if there are any young Aussies.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 03:38 PM

WOW! 15 is old for the breed, is it not? I thought their life expectancy is more like a lab at 10-12. Good to know though...our new girl is quite sweet but needs her play time.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 03:56 PM

Thanks Okie!

I think 15 is really old! He was my dad's dog and when he passed away in 08 I inherited him. He was always on the lazier side for a weimie but the heat really bothers him these days. He's so docile he'll let chickens eat his dog food with him. He's not a typical weimaranar.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 04:14 PM

For as high energy as this girl is, she is GREAT with little kids. My 15 month old grandson loves her. I've noticed her not liking the heat. I'm cold natured, so I have only turned the air on once or twice so far this year. I'm usually happy in the house with the windows open up to almost 80 inside. She is not. She was panting enough the other night I got out of bed and turned the air on for her. I had a moment laying there after realizing what I had done.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 04:21 PM

What we don't do for our babies. smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 04:24 PM

Yesterday it got up to about 75 degrees here. My house heats up quickly so I'm usually not shy about turning on the central air. It was comfortable in the house last night with just opened windows so I left the air off. I was laying on the couch reading. Lily came over and sat in front of my face and panted like she was dying. Really??? Has it come to that? I told her she was fine and to go lay down. She did and she was fine. But yeah, for a moment there I felt myself getting up to turn on the air.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 04:37 PM

Jen and Sarah - I can relate. When we had our greyhound we kept the air on 72 and would cover our legs with a blanket while watching TV because he was so hot natured. I've noticed both of the shelties are panting a lot and it's only in the 70's out. Our air is running for them more than us right now. I think we need to shave their bellies. It's funny because they will plant themselves on the floor vents when the air kicks on.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 04:43 PM

Every morning when I am ready to leave for work, my dog Cyrus, who is a pit bull, is usually laying on my bed. I give him a kiss on the head, and cover him with a blankie. Just in case he gets cold.

I know, I am kinda weird that way.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 04:44 PM

My rats nestle into any blanket they can find. She throws them all on the floor and sleeps on the leather couch.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 04:45 PM

Air only goes on if we're having a stretch of really hot and humid air. Both my mom and I dislike air conditioning so we have box fans, ceiling fans and tower fans all over the house. The dogs have learned to lay in the breeze and they're all fine.

As for toys, the girls aren't much for them anymore altho Smidgen has one she will get out of the basket on days when she feels she hasn't gotten enough exercise chasing the cat around. Right before dinner time, Smidgen will case Widget up one staircase, over and down the other while the others bark and sometimes lung at them whizzing by. As soon as I start towards the kitchen all five of them (3 Cavaliers and 2 cats) rush to their places in the kitchen to wait to be served their dinner. laugh

Quite a swing between an Aussie and a JRT. A working breed vs a terrier. You'll need good fencing either way.
Posted By: DoS

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 04:53 PM

my lab loves the kong Frisbee. my main problem with them is they are heavy and don't fly as far as some others that I have. So, far he has only been able to remove a small piece from one.

oh yeah, they also don't float so don't give one to your father to throw into the lake for the dog to retrieve ... it takes the dog a while to realize the Frisbee isn't coming back up. smile
Posted By: mtngrrl

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:17 PM

We use westpaw frisbees:

https://www.westpawdesign.com/dogs/dog-toys/zogoflex-dog-toys/zisc-flying-disc

They aren't exactly indestructible (when faced with German Shepherd jaws) but they certainly have lasted longer than any other brand. And they do float. Deja is such a frisbee hound that we have resorted to saying "The F Word" rather than "Frisbee" because she will stop everything and start begging to go play! Unfortunately, we think she's now learning to spell...

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:19 PM

The weimaranar has never stepped foot in the house no matter how much I try when it's really hot or really cold. It's only been the last couple years that he would even come in the garage to sleep. He's always been an outside dog but last summer I got a fan and aimed it right at him in the garage to help him stay cool.

Yeah we like high-energy dogs. Luckily we've got LOTS of room for a dog to run and play. I grew up with aussies that worked cattle. And had the most wonderful pit bull until she passed away a couple years ago. That probably contributes to my love of JRT's. My pit was such a bouncy sweetheart I figured a JRT would be the next best thing without trying to replace her.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:28 PM

You all I'm really loving this thread. I'm picturing Aussie and JRT puppies -and all sorts of dogs. Puppies are just too cute - and as my husband says - 'the wigglier the better'.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:36 PM

I cannot believe how you all completely SPOIL your dogs. whistle

I'm a huge Australian Cattle Dog (Blue/Red Heeler)...I'm not a fan of JRT's. But the two mixed together is pure Tazmanian Devil Dog! eek

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:36 PM

Me too but it's not helping the time tick any faster towards 5:00 though!
wink

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:37 PM

Nothing ever does. crazy

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:42 PM

I've got a heeler and a mystery mutt. The heeler drives me nuts with all of his energy but that is most likely because he's not got enough to do here living in my postage stamp backyard. (This isn't my full time dog or I never would have rented this place)

The mutt lies around until it's time to go and then he's up for anything.

The heeler has had a green JW bone shaped toy for months and hasn't been able to chew through it yet although I notice the squeaker has finally fallen out.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:47 PM

I'm a huge Australian Cattle Dog

Does this reflect more poorly on you, or on the breed? laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 05:47 PM

I wouldn't know how to find my closet after work or the door to the outside if it weren't for mine herding me to them. laugh

However, back in their younger days...between the Border Collie 'heading' and the Heeler 'heeling'...the horses were 'stuck' at times. The heeler was also awful about grabbing a tail and just swinging along...she wouldn't let it go!
Posted By: Sci_Comply

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JWills
Every morning when I am ready to leave for work, my dog Cyrus, who is a pit bull, is usually laying on my bed. I give him a kiss on the head, and cover him with a blankie. Just in case he gets cold.

I know, I am kinda weird that way.
I don't feel so weird now! My 14 year old Chihuahua Vegas has a favorite toy hedgehog that he sleeps with at night. I fix his blankets, put the toy in there to the right side, and then tuck him in with a kiss on the head. He won't stay in his bed if my husband fixes it first. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:05 PM

I love talking about my brood. We put in underground fence around 6 acres and are so pleased with it. Our girls are rather social and like to visit. They'll troop the mile and a half to visit a neighbor or go to the south 80 to swim in the pond. My mastiff thinks every head of cattle on the place is a bestie. It is a hoot to look out the window to see her and a few head of cattle having a stare down and they are only about 3 feet apart. She just sits there like that dog in the cartoons that would clock in and out every day. She never chases or lunges at them.

Now they only occasionally have to wear the collars to remind them. At least we don't get calls from the neighbors any more.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:08 PM

I'm looking into the fence because the weimie knows no boundaries! Do you mind sharing the brand do you have?
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:11 PM

It sounds like the dogs have all of you trained rather than the other way around. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:16 PM

Definitely Guitar Dude. We used to cover Mandy (the ailing basenji) up at night with a blanket - even in the summer. They are an African breed and she loved laying in the sun. Now the poor thing doesn't like it and gets confused. My husband has rolled a towel up and she uses it like a pillow.
Posted By: Hoosierland

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:24 PM

I'm usually happy in the house with the windows open up to almost 80 inside. She is not. She was panting enough the other night I got out of bed and turned the air on for her. I had a moment laying there after realizing what I had done.

How about this? When we bought our house many years ago, we had no central air. . .but we did have a pug. Guess what our first big home improvement was when that first summer rolled around (and not because it was what WE needed first, but what the pug needed first)??

Just last night, we had windows open and ceiling fans on, but our two pugs were panting and panting, so we turned on the A/C. Yes, they are spoiled rotten!

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:32 PM

nah, I don't think mine are spoiled...at least not by me. My daughter and eldest gran each own one of three Cavs and my daughter, in particular, is total mush with them letting them on furniture and in her bed, etc. Me, they listen to and don't pull stuff on. Smidgen knows the only time she's allowed on the bed is when MOML is away on a business trip. And getting them all to sit quietly and wait at their respective food bowls took some training too. Now if I could just get the cats to sit and not circle around me and the dogs caterwauling for their food.... But then, you mostly herd cats, not train them, right? crazy
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:36 PM

While we have the dog-market cornered here...I have a question. My son has a humongous bulldog/mastiff mix. He is OBSESSED with frisbees and is really good at catching them! But when I say he is obsessed, I'm not joking.

The problem we are having is finding one that will last more than 15 minutes...his jaws are massive and he accidentally breaks them quickly. I've tried the cloth ones, the soft bendy rubber ones (all dog ones) and the dense foam (Academy sports) ones.

The Kong ones have changed in some way and the reviews aren't as good, so I have not tried those.

PS. It is hilarious once it breaks them, bringing the tinist piece and still demanding to play. He also washes them. grin

Try the Jawz competition frisbees. So far that's the only one that our giant heeler hasn't destroyed within 5 minutes. However - we also learned really quickly to only let her have them during playtime or else she turns them into chew toys.

And I know exactly what you mean by 'obsessed.' You've met Lucy and her tennis ball, right? wink

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:43 PM

I'm looking into the fence because the weimie knows no boundaries! Do you mind sharing the brand do you have?

I will ask my husband and let you know.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:49 PM

I'm telling you, try that westpaw frisbee. You still have to take it away, but it lasts way longer than anything else. They have other shapes of toys, too - one bone shaped one that lasted for 6 years, even WITH her gnawing on it regularly.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 06:55 PM

I'll look into all of the above...YES, definitely have to put away the toyz!

Becca...yes...he is much like Lucy is with her ball! He plays til he could literally DROP! crazy

And, if you tell him you can't reach it when he brings it to you...he throws it at you! laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 07:00 PM

And, if you tell him you can't reach it when he brings it to you...he throws it at you! laugh

Deja will bring a toy and drop it in your lap. If it falls off (like a ball or a bone), she'll pick it up and drop it in your lap again. If you KEEP ignoring her, then she'll start shoving her nose under your arm, pushing your hand toward the toy.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 07:05 PM

My shepherd does this too mtngrl smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 07:12 PM

^^^^ grin

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 07:38 PM

We turn on the AC and keep the heat low for our dogs. The sun bakes our bedroom in the afternoon, so it's really needed sometimes.

I'm pretty sure once we have our yard the one will try to live outside. crazy

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 07:59 PM

I cannot believe how you all completely SPOIL your dogs. whistle

I'm a huge Australian Cattle Dog (Blue/Red Heeler)...I'm not a fan of JRT's. But the two mixed together is pure Tazmanian Devil Dog! eek

Love the avi! That's totally what an Aussie/JRT mix would look like!!!!

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 08:22 PM

We turn on the AC and keep the heat low for our dogs. The sun bakes our bedroom in the afternoon, so it's really needed sometimes.

I'm pretty sure once we have our yard the one will try to live outside. crazy

I thought it was cold in Millenialicious (Midewest)

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 08:25 PM

Hey, hey! Mine are not spoiled or catered to. They are productive members of society. Have you seen how much fertilizer one mastiff, one Aussie and two Rotts can produce?! Plus the added bonus of having a yard free of living critters such as skunks, porcupines, opossum, masked bandits, those birds that plant their eggs on the ground and then tempt you away from their nests by limping away dragging a wing? Enough dog hair that I could make pillows if I ever had to! Priceless repayment! Worth every penny.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 08:29 PM

Cold?? Psh, yesterday afternoon it was near 90 before the storms blew in. Our little black fur ball wasn't too interested in being outside at all, until the thunder and lightning started.

Re: For Mani! - 05/21/14 08:36 PM

We get all four seasons in the Millenialicious MidEwest, Ed. smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 01:59 PM

I got my JRT puppy last night. Her name's Sadie and of course she's adorable. No accidents last night so she's obviously the smartest dog in the world too!

Hurry up 5:00 again so I can go home and play with her!! grin

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 02:05 PM

Congratulations!! smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 02:07 PM

Puppy kisses! smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 04:19 PM

I featured my puppy in an all-staff training this morning on ID theft red flags... I didn't even fake trying to tie them together, I was just like "And here's my dog eating ice cream."

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 04:20 PM

I pink puffy heart love that Matt!

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 04:31 PM

LOL @ Matt

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Jen, you may want to get an extra tall one. My ex-neighbors weimie jumps right over the 6 foot fence. Anytime she wanted to come over and play, she would just climb right over a visit with us. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 04:48 PM

LOL @ Matt

To be fair, it was on the very last slide, after the questions, and non-intrusive. Not like...slide 17, in the middle of "serious" stuff (my trainings are far from serious anyway) and suddenly a transition to a slide show of my vacation photos from last summer. But, it was still funny!

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: bOatn Shasta
Originally Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Jen, you may want to get an extra tall one. My ex-neighbors weimie jumps right over the 6 foot fence. Anytime she wanted to come over and play, she would just climb right over a visit with us. laugh

She stays in the 6 ft tall kennel, she's a good girl...I'm looking at the underground invisible fencing. smile

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 06:39 PM

My neighbors use the wireless Jen...look at that too...no digging.laying of wire required!

But, you'll be limited by diameter of reach.

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 06:40 PM

Wait...how does wireless work??? Cause digging/laying wire in rocky SWMO will stink!

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 06:44 PM

Just like it sounds. YOu have a robot-looking 'tower' that you put whereever. The dog wears a collar just like with the other kind. It radiates out 90 feet (I think ) from all directions from the unit.

PetSmart has them and their collars are rechargeable. The ones in Fosters and Smith aren't rechargeable...that collar has the round batteries. Pay attention to those little details if you consider that type!

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 06:46 PM

Our tower is 120 ft.

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 06:48 PM

Just googled...THIS is what I need. Thanks ladies!

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 06:56 PM

So QCL, is that diameter or feet/direction. I've not seen one that had a 240' diameter...I'm curious.

[there is one that claims 400', but the reviews are not good]

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 07:08 PM

I got the measurement wrong - it's up to a 1/2 acre (180-foot diameter). We put it in the center of the house, then figured out using the collar where the "line" was. Then we threw up some flags for our girl to learn the boundaries. She still obeys the line now, even when she's not wearing a collar. smile

http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Wireless-Containment-System-PIF-300/dp/B0001ZWZ8O

http://www.petsafe.net/media/manuals/pif-300-wireless-containment-system-manual.pdf

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 07:08 PM

I'll be filing this one away for if I ever have kids! laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 07:09 PM

That's the one I looked at. Thanks QCL!

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 07:13 PM

I featured my puppy in an all-staff training this morning on ID theft red flags... I didn't even fake trying to tie them together, I was just like "And here's my dog eating ice cream."

We regularly attend all day seminars produced by our legal consulting team. One of the attorneys always includes slides of her dogs here and there throughout the presentation, literally to break up 8 hours of regulation. She's known for it, and it doesn't feel inappropriate at all.

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 07:19 PM

Ours is "Sport Dog" underground fence around 6 acres with wireless collars.

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 07:25 PM

I got my JRT puppy last night. Her name's Sadie and of course she's adorable. No accidents last night so she's obviously the smartest dog in the world too!

Hurry up 5:00 again so I can go home and play with her!! grin

Congrats! I'm almost jealous, but I know that I'm still not ready for one (I lost my 16 yo JRT last May). Enjoy your little toot!

Re: For Mani! - 05/22/14 07:30 PM

Oh and congrats CompliantOkie!!

Re: For Mani! - 05/23/14 12:02 PM

So CompliantOkie - how is Miss Sadie doing this morning?

Re: For Mani! - 05/23/14 12:18 PM

http://www.longisland.com/news/05-08-14/oceanside-man-arrested-for-reckless-endangerment.html

Oceanside Man Arrested for Reckless Endangerment
Press Releases
By Long Island News & PRs Published: May 08 2014

The Fourth Squad reports the arrest of an Oceanside woman for Reckless Endangerment that occurred on Tuesday May 6, 2014 at 5:10 p.m. in Oceanside.
[Oceanside Man Arrested for Reckless Endangerment]

Oceanside, NY - May 8th, 2014 - The Fourth Squad reports the arrest of an Oceanside woman for Reckless Endangerment that occurred on Tuesday May 6, 2014 at 5:10 p.m. in Oceanside.

I guess the police could not tell if it was a man or woman. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/23/14 02:11 PM

What a perfect post for my thread. laugh

Re: For Mani! - 05/23/14 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Skittles
So CompliantOkie - how is Miss Sadie doing this morning?

She's awesome! Thanks for asking. Still no accidents in the house. She used her puppy pad yesterday. She's started chewing shoelaces so the kids and I went around yesterday and put up all the shoes. It's amazing how such a tiny little creature can fill hearts!

Re: For Mani! - 05/23/14 05:11 PM

Yay for Miss Sadie. Sounds like she's doing exceptionally well. Is she sleeping during the night?

Re: For Mani! - 05/23/14 05:33 PM

I was fully prepared to get up with her a couple times a night but so far she has slept all night through. We put her out right before we go to bed at 10ish and she makes it till 5 or 6 when I get up. Much better than I expected!!

Re: For Mani! - 05/23/14 05:47 PM

Fantastic!!