Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd

Posted By: Anonymous

Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 04:04 PM

"The 2004 list of words that should be banished for 'misuse, overuse and general uselessness,' according to Lake Superior State University:

| Metrosexual: An urban male who pays a great deal of attention to appearance.
| X: As in "X-Files," Xtreme, Windows XP and X-Box.
| Punked: To dupe, popularized by the MTV show 'Punk'd.'
| Place Stamp Here: Printed on return envelopes.
| Companion animals: Also known as pets.
| Bling or Bling-Bling: Flashy jewelry.
| LOL: E-mail speak for 'laugh out loud.'
| Embedded Journalist.
| Smoking Gun.
| Shock and Awe.
| Captured Alive.
| Shots Rang Out.
| Ripped From the Headlines.
| Sweat Like a Pig: The problem is pigs don't sweat.
| In Harm's Way.
| Hand-Crafted Latte.
| Sanitary Landfill: Also known as a dump."
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 05:44 PM

To which list I would append "my bad."
Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 05:46 PM

Lets add also "Fo Shizzel", it's startin to bug me a bit
Posted By: obx nut

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 06:03 PM

how about "Rose Ceremony"...as much as I hate to admit I watch these "reality shows"...the "most shocking ROSE CEREMONY ever" stuff is just ridiculous.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 06:23 PM

How about this oxymoron:

Simplified Disclosures

AS IF!!!!!
Posted By: Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 07:58 PM

Speaking of oxymoron, how about REALITY TV

Posted By: jcrump

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 08:16 PM

"Talk to the hand" or do I only hate that b/c it comes out of the mouths of my children (when they are talking to one another, of course, since they wouldn't DREAM of saying it to ME!)
Posted By: JacF

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 08:19 PM

Quote:

"Talk to the hand" or do I only hate that b/c it comes out of the mouths of my children (when they are talking to one another, of course, since they wouldn't DREAM of saying it to ME!)

Just respond to that one the same way Arnold did in Terminator 3. Your children will stop in no time.
Posted By: Pup

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 08:21 PM

Quote:

How about almost anything that Snoop Dog says!!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 08:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You got that right I don't understand how some1 could talk like that with a straight face, I would be laughing at myself---alot
Posted By: deppfan

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 08:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You got that right I don't understand how some1 could talk like that with a straight face, I would be laughing at myself---alot

Ditto. I mean, does he even understand himself. At least there is some rhyme and reason to Pig Latin. Not that "izzel" stuff.
Posted By: jcrump

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just respond to that one the same way Arnold did in Terminator 3. Your children will stop in no time.

Speaking of Arnold...The Governator. That's gotta go, too.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 08:30 PM

I just remember kids doing that in junior high and getting laughed at...it was a secret code, not a public phenomenon!! Childish and ridiculous!! Ahhhh, the tortures of having a grasp of the english language (poor me)

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 09:13 PM

My kids have been warned that they WILL NOT respond with "whatever" in my house. That has got to go. Replace it with RESPECT!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 09:30 PM

Quote:

My kids have been warned that they WILL NOT respond with "whatever" in my house. That has got to go. Replace it with RESPECT!

Oooh, Thats another one that gets me...
Posted By: DawgFan

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 09:51 PM

RANT WARNING
I don't know about you guys, but I look on much of pop culture with a certain element of disdain. Thanks to pop culture, people find it acceptable to spell things wrong, to talk like they have absolutely no education, and to dress like they slept in a clothes hamper. Sorry about that, rant over.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 10:02 PM

I agree. (I can not spell- my brain does not work that way.) Am I sounding like my parents?

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 10:13 PM

To follow-up on the "Whatever" phrase that has got to go, I must admit I still use it!! But, if my child even thinks about responding to me with "Whatever, Mom!", he better start running! I would be so irritated if he tried that on me! What a double standard I've set!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 10:18 PM

Quote:

To follow-up on the "Whatever" phrase that has got to go, I must admit I still use it!! But, if my child even thinks about responding to me with "Whatever, Mom!", he better start running! I would be so irritated if he tried that on me! What a double standard I've set!

or "Fine" or "I got it" T-girl tries both of those, and ducks when she sees the response she gets!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 10:18 PM

Quote:

RANT WARNING
I don't know about you guys, but I look on much of pop culture with a certain element of disdain. Thanks to pop culture, people find it acceptable to spell things wrong, to talk like they have absolutely no education, and to dress like they slept in a clothes hamper. Sorry about that, rant over.

well said....I've actually found myself "censoring" already for my 9 yr. old daughter. If she's in the car, it's country music. Depressing, yes, safe, yes. The pop stations play songs with violence, sexual reference and I agree that the lifestyle implied and referenced leads directly to the above quote!! Wish I could raise my kids in a vaccuum!!

Or back in the heartland of rural Iowa!!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 10:44 PM

Speaking from rural Iowa. You can't control everything that your kids hear or see. You only hope that in the short time you are given, you can impart the wisdsom to use good judgment. I think that pretty muchs sums up parenting.

We were going to spend Christmas day with just the four of us (five including the Lab.) When my kids found out that my wife's 91 year-old grandmother was going to be alone at the nursing home, they begged to make the 90 minute drive to see her. The fact that they insisted on spending 3 hours in the car just to visit this chair-bound little old lady brought a tear to my eye. We must have done something right.
Posted By: DawgFan

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 11:24 PM

Well, I'm not for censorship, but I don't see trading in your intelligence for popularity. I have no children (so this is probably somewhat ignorant), but I believe in raising children to make proper choices, rather than censoring everything. At some point, they will leave home, and I will wind up in a six foot hole somewhere. If I don't raise them to make responsible choices, they'll wind up becoming what I am trying to keep them from.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 11:47 PM

Well said DawgFan. Nothing encourages experimentation like curiosity. And nothing fosters curiosity like complete censorship. Think about the story of Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit. Think about Pandora's Box.

I agree that I don't care for a lot of what's portrayed in popular culture, and my daughter knows what my views are and my my husband's views. Just as she was able to tell the difference between fantasy and reality, I believe she can tell the difference between "Show Biz" and what is proper behavior for the real world.

The complaints that we have today about Pop and HipHop culture are not much different than the complaints made about The Beatles, Elvis, and in earlier generations, The Jitterbug and automobiles.
Posted By: Dan Persfull

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/02/04 11:59 PM

Quote:

When my kids found out that my wife's 91 year-old grandmother was going to be alone at the nursing home, they begged to make the 90 minute drive to see her. The fact that they insisted on spending 3 hours in the car just to visit this chair-bound little old lady brought a tear to my eye. We must have done something right.

You must be proud. The thoughtfulness (love) your childdren showed, well I must have something in my eye........

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/03/04 07:52 PM

Omega, having grown up in rural Iowa and now transplanted to Lawton, Oklahoma, I can see a huge difference in lifestyle, values, etc. Of course, there is the element of time mixed in there as well. If you are a native Iowan, you are probably aware of the outstanding track record Iowa has with its education system. When I was there, we were either #1 or #2 (behind Wisconsin) every year. I'd imagine it is still the same. Oklahoma ranks in the 40's somewhere. I don't remember having athletics being even offered in elementary school like they are here, far overshadowing the importance of education, especially in the eyes of a young child. Remember the story of the Texas Cheerleader Murdering Mom (something like that), that made no sense to me whatsoever until I moved here. Now, I see how insane parents are here about the "success" of their children at such a young age.

Rant over, I can add that my 9 yr old is in the accelerated learning program and highly values knowledge over all else. I'm EXTREMELY proud of that fact and I hope that it doesn't turn into an obsession for her like a lot of things can for us. She's a smart kid, and I agree that censorship must be limited. Thanks for the advice!!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/04/04 07:38 AM

I was talking to my daughter about some of her friends from Elementary school, and if she still stays in contact with some of them. My daughter went to a private Presbyterian school for grades 1-5. I remember a friend she had whose parents were very strict and (overly) protective.

I can understand wanting to meet with the parents before having your daughter spend the night at a friends house, but these folks had to meet the parents on several occasions, and then come to the house and look around (I guess to make sure we didn't have something offensive lying around? Or perhaps to see if they approved of our interior decorating?). The girl and her sister were not allowed to listen to radio, nor could they watch TV unless it was Disney (and the parents had to be in the room with them). The parents strictly controlled what they wore, what they listened to, who they could talk to, and so on.

At any rate, I asked my daughter if she had heard from "Lisa." My daughter replied "Oh yeah, Lisa and her sister went totally "Goth" and have a wild reputation." (My daughter is very dismayed that another old friend of hers also went Goth*.)

So, I guess there is something to be said in all that.

*(Goth = Gothic dress, make-up, and mannerisms. Thick black mascara, black lipstick, black nailpolish, collars with studs, jewelry that combines crosses with pentagrams and ankhs, heavy on the vampire look. Think of kids who want nothing more than to look like a cross between Marilyn Manson and Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas. Kink of like Punks, only much more depressed.)

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/05/04 03:14 PM

Bonnie: I had a friend like that in H.S. Her parents wouldn't even let her attend the senior prom! And she was a good kid. (good grades, outgoing, funny, sweet...)

When she moved to the Dallas area to attend UTA, she went WILD. I don't think I ever saw her sober for the first couple of years of school. She did eventually come back to earth, married an army officer, has 4 beautiful kids and teaches English at a base in Italy. I just can't help but wonder if she could have been spared 2 years of hangovers, if they had just loosened up a little bit.
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/05/04 03:55 PM

Quote:

If she's in the car, it's country music. Depressing, yes, safe, yes.

Safe? Better listen again. I couldn't believe a song I heard while with my daughter. It was supposed to be about off-roading in a 4WD, but the words. "I leaned over and kissed her and then I put it in (pause, pause, pause) 4WD." It goes on about taking it out and putting it in all with big pauses to make you think something other than putting your vehicle in 4WD.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/05/04 04:02 PM

Quote:

well said....I've actually found myself "censoring" already for my 9 yr. old daughter. If she's in the car, it's country music. Depressing, yes, safe, yes. The pop stations play songs with violence, sexual reference and I agree that the lifestyle implied and referenced leads directly to the above quote!!

Jeremy - we already do that for the Bug - when she is in the car, it's only Classical music or NPR (and not even all of NPR.)

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/05/04 04:06 PM

Gah, let me amend that - we are NOT in favor of censorship at all; however, while she is in this huge sponge mode and soon will be learning to talk, we want to be extremely careful about what she is hearing and learning to say. When she is older and has both an ability to understand what she is hearing/seeing, and to make a judgement about it, then we will allow her to have greater access to things. But for right now, the last thing we want is for her first word to be unprintable!!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/05/04 04:15 PM

I agree to a point. GIGO. You need to protect children as long as you can. When there is a movie that one of my kids wants to see that may be questionable, and there is some value to it, I let them see it - WITH ME! I use phrases like " but that is not what we believe" and ask " but what do you think?" Yes I try to impart my beliefs on my children. They are my children.

I am confident that good judgment starts with a solid foundation. They need a point of reference and please don't tell me that society provides one. It is in my job description not that of a sports figure or some pop star.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/05/04 05:03 PM

I am sorry for cluttering up this thread. I should have expressed myself elsewhere.

There are plenty of words / phrases that make me cringe. Phrases like these have always existed and always will. I just can't imagine Thomas Jefferson claiming "my bad", or Abraham Lincoln replying with "whatever". Maybe there was a kinder, gentler press at the time. (Yea, right.)
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/05/04 11:39 PM

Quote:

I just can't imagine Thomas Jefferson claiming "my bad", or Abraham Lincoln replying with "whatever".

No, because they were like, educated, you know? TJ was like "When in the course of human events," and John Hancock was like "I'm down with that; where do I sign?" And Abe was like, let my people go and stuff. And the South was like, no way, Jose. And the North was like, way.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 01:49 AM

Should be banned..........
What EVERYONE says when you use the word "ASSUME"
It used to be a perfectly good word.
Oh Well.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 02:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I just can't imagine Thomas Jefferson claiming "my bad", or Abraham Lincoln replying with "whatever".

No, because they were like, educated, you know? TJ was like "When in the course of human events," and John Hancock was like "I'm down with that; where do I sign?" And Abe was like, let my people go and stuff. And the South was like, no way, Jose. And the North was like, way.

Steve, that was FAR OUT! LOLOLOL

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 02:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

......and it was cool!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

......and it was cool!

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy.....
That is so 80's. It wasn't cool- it was all good.
Posted By: Brandy Osborne

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 02:41 PM

like, um gag me with a spoon!
the other word i would like banned FOREVER is irregardless!! ahhhhhhhhhhh i hate that non word!

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

......and it was cool!

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy.....
That is so 80's. It wasn't cool- it was all good.

Dude, except, like, in the South, it wasn't all good. It was like, so punk. People were, like, losing their cribs and stuff.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 03:12 PM

Quote:

Dude, except, like, in the South, it wasn't all good. It was like, so punk. People were, like, losing their cribs and stuff.

My bad.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 03:17 PM

Jac - LOLOLOLOLOL

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 03:30 PM

Custer looking down at a small group of Native Americans at Little Bighorn "its all good".
Custer's last words that same day "my bad".
Posted By: Jokerman

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 04:01 PM

The Indians were all "WHASSSUUPPP!!!"
Posted By: Walleye Woman

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 01/06/04 05:09 PM

Kewl!
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 06/21/07 09:44 PM

Good gravy!
Posted By: Mrs. Rizzo

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 06/21/07 09:48 PM

Good gravy is right...why are you bringing up something from 2 yrs ago?
Posted By: doobydoobydoo

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 06/21/07 09:49 PM

Feeling especailly productive at work today.

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 06/21/07 09:50 PM

I see!!!
Posted By: X O

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 06/21/07 09:53 PM

3 years can't you count?

Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd - 06/21/07 09:58 PM

NO! i can't! That's why I'm in banking!