What Zombie movies get wrong

Posted By: ComplianceDude

What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:21 PM

Why are there so many zombies when every time they catch someone, they eat them?

They often show someone completely devoured by a huge pack of them. If that's what they are doing to the people they catch, how could there be thousands or millions of zombies?

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:22 PM

Why don't the surviving humans just migrate to northen Canada? Wouldn't the Z's freeze up? They have no way to keep warm.
Posted By: acquiescent

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:24 PM

You turn into a zombie once you're bitten. That's why some walk with limps, because someone tried to eat their femur ;-)
Posted By: raitchjay

(Not meant as an attack on your post, your post just reminded me.....) I'm sick of hearing about zombies and the "zombie apocalypse". When/why did this become a phenomenon?

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: acquiescent
You turn into a zombie once you're bitten. That's why some walk with limps, because someone tried to eat their femur ;-)

True, but some movies show that there is nothing left to get up and walk.

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
(Not meant as an attack on your post, your post just reminded me.....) I'm sick of hearing about zombies and the "zombie apocalypse". When/why did this become a phenomenon?

Millenial angst, or something. One theory is that people who obsess about it actually, deep down, wish it would happen.

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:27 PM

Why don't they obsess over some other fantasy.....like the Cubs winning a World Series or something? smile
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:31 PM

Why don't they obsess over some other fantasy.....like the Cubs winning a World Series or something? smile

That's too far fetched to believe. laugh
Posted By: Peepers

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:33 PM

I'm sick of hearing about zombies and the "zombie apocalypse". When/why did this become a phenomenon?

is obviously not prepared and will be one of the first to perish

nice knowing you

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:32 PM

It's also our own arrogance. We fantasize that we'll be able to say, I'm the only one in my town who survived, or who saved his own family. All those other people who turned in to zombies? Bunch of chumps, they were. Should have been more awesome, like me.
Posted By: noelekal

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:39 PM

There's money to be made off of Zombies.

Zombie marketing.

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Peepers
I'm sick of hearing about zombies and the "zombie apocalypse". When/why did this become a phenomenon?

is obviously not prepared and will be one of the first to perish

nice knowing you

laugh

Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust
It's also our own arrogance. We fantasize that we'll be able to say, I'm the only one in my town who survived, or who saved his own family. All those other people who turned in to zombies? Bunch of chumps, they were. Should have been more awesome, like me.

I guess that's what i'm getting at....it almost sounds like people really believe this stuff.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 03:02 PM

In a world where everyone's turned into zombies, why would you want to be the one left alive anyway? That sounds depressing.

And Raitch, have you heard about the tropical fungus that infects ants and turns them into zombie slaves?? Someone could weaponize that and apply it to humans! Because you know, we've got a lot of evil geniuses out there that want to destroy the world.

People like disaster scenarios, for whatever reason.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 03:03 PM

Quote:

umm, that there really is no such thing as zombies?
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 03:08 PM

The best way to combat zombies is to lure them to the ocean and have sharks with laser beams attached to their fins finish off the walking dead.

For me, I think the frightening thing about the zombie fantasy is, even in death there is no rest.
Posted By: buggs

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 04:21 PM

Why are there so many zombies when every time they catch someone, they eat them?

They often show someone completely devoured by a huge pack of them. If that's what they are doing to the people they catch, how could there be thousands or millions of zombies?

Because every dead person who ever lived and died has turned into a zombie. They're billions and billions of 'em.
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B
In a world where everyone's turned into zombies, why would you want to be the one left alive anyway? That sounds depressing.

See "I Am Legend". Almost the same thing.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 05:13 PM

^^^^That is a freaky movie.
Posted By: manimal

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 06:52 PM

That movie made me cry. (No surprise there, if you know me you know why.)

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Backstreets
Originally Posted By: Matt_B

See "I Am Legend". Almost the same thing.

Walking Dead. Very depressing.
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: manimal
That movie made me cry. (No surprise there, if you know me you know why.)

Very girly dude. eek
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 07:01 PM

Mani might have an undiagnosed case of Low T. Don't be insensitive Monkee!
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 07:07 PM

laugh You're right.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Quote:

Based on recent election results, I'm not so sure. wink

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 07:23 PM

::shrugs::
Posted By: Sci_Comply

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 07:42 PM

I kinda liked the Warm Bodies movie about zombies. It was a cute concept.

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 08:08 PM

Me too Sci. Disclaimer: I think it was based on a book, which I haven't read.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 08:27 PM

Yeah, Sci, and no animals were shown being harmed in that movie, either. (If I remember correctly).

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: buggs

Because every dead person who ever lived and died has turned into a zombie. They're billions and billions of 'em.

So every grave opens, and they come climbing out? Maybe. But that explanation doesn't work with the flicks that base transmission on a bite or a virus (say, Shaun of the Dead, among many others). Nobody gets dug up and bitten in those movies.

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 09:32 PM

Maybe the two thoughts will be combined: zombies will one day become the Chicago Cubs and win a World Series.

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 09:57 PM

So every grave opens, and they come climbing out? Maybe. But that explanation doesn't work with the flicks that base transmission on a bite or a virus (say, Shaun of the Dead, among many others). Nobody gets dug up and bitten in those movies.

They only come climbing out to the extent they are able to escape and have the ability to actually move. Zombies can die from starvation (I'm told), so most of the zombies that live in graves will never see the light of day.

The thing is, people *assume* a bite from a zombie transmits the disease, but that's not the way it works. See, the film "Fido," explains that the zombie disease came from the trail of a comet through with the earth passed. The comet trail infected the atmosphere of the planet. Everyone is a zombie now.

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 09:58 PM

That would explain much that afflicts our nation in this generation.

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: noelekal
That would explain much that afflicts our nation in this generation.

This generation? What about the preceding generation that has delivered so much violence and misery upon the world. They were not only the "greatest" generation, they were also the worst.

Research how many people were killed or oppressed during the 20th Century.

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/25/14 10:09 PM

Historically, there have been worse "zombie-fied" generations than the "greatest generation." Much worse. No generation has the market cornered on being virtuous zombies.
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/26/14 02:33 PM

being one that does not have TV in the house it is scary to hear all my friends talking about all the dreck they fill their brains with turning them into unthinking consumers.
(def of zombies by Bob Hope is the best)

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/26/14 02:38 PM

Yea, Wolfy!

We have a TV, for watching old films on DVD. It has no antenna, no subscription to broadcast service.

We love avoiding modern television as it is served up to viewers these days.
Posted By: YosemiteSamIAm

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/26/14 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Quote:

What about soccer fans?
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/27/14 02:44 PM

Zombies are the PC version of mobs "upset" by something so they have to loot and destroy to feel "justice" was done
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: What Zombie movies get wrong - 08/27/14 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Wolfy
Zombies are the PC version of mobs "upset" by something so they have to loot and destroy to feel "justice" was done
For example, soccer fans. whistle wink