Dear Young People entering the workforce...

Posted By: HappyGilmore

Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:38 PM

Here are some helpful hints:

1. When talking to your boss, put away your phone
2. it's "specific", not "pacific" (which is an ocean)
3. you don't need to say "you know" at the end of every sentence.
4. if you can't bend over without worrying about how much of your stuff is showing, then yes, the skirt is too short
5. dress like you are attending church with your grandmother, not a club with your friends
6. being polite goes a long way
7. there is nothing wrong with being wrong, or making mistakes, or trying something new
8. showing up every day on time without calling in sick once is not a valid reason to ask for a raise
9. having a degree is what got you in the door, what you do now that you're here is what keeps you here
10. it really is not a good idea to say "yo dog, what's up" to the President, unless you work for a software development firm or he is your father/brother/best friend since grade school
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:41 PM

As for 9.....you mean getting a law degree means you actually have to practice law and know what you're doing? People aren't supposed to just throw money at you cuz you have a law degree?

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:42 PM

it is a crazy concept, i will admit
Posted By: Stupendous Man

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:42 PM

Old Man Yells At Cloud

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:45 PM

?
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:48 PM

We had a kid come for an interview dressed in a wrinkled polo shirt, khaki cargo shorts and flip flops. Now it was a position in the call center and the dress code is fairly relaxed but nowhere on earth should that attire be acceptable for a job interview! Needless to say he did not get the job.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:49 PM

11. Do not use your work computer during bank hours to post on Facebook "this job sucks."
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:52 PM

AMEN!
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:53 PM

Or if you do, immediately update your status to:
Unemployed at...home
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 03:54 PM

12. Get a baby-sitter for your children. The bank lobby is not an appropriate place for them to wait for you. The tellers are not a day care service.
Posted By: burkemi

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 04:25 PM

13. Remember, it usually requires more work and effort to get out of doing the work you were asked to do...This also provides a short trip to the door.

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
11. Do not use your work computer during bank hours to post on Facebook "this job sucks."

This post could have been shortened to "Do not use your work computer during bank hours to post on Facebook." eek
Posted By: mtngrrl

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 04:49 PM

Or, "Do not use Facebook to post 'this job sucks'. Word gets around."
Posted By: Compl101TX

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Dani York, CRCM
12. Get a baby-sitter for your children. The bank lobby is not an appropriate place for them to wait for you. The tellers are not a day care service.

Here the kitchen is used as a day care for about an hour...it gets loud but the President allows it, not much we can do.
Posted By: manimal

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Plenty of us do similar griping here on BOL. Just saying, I'm guilty of it as well.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 05:12 PM

^^ Silly young person.

Silly old people already employed: Hurry up and get fired or retire so we can get the good jobs! Also, learn how to use Excel, or call IT, not just any random person that's under 35 is here to be your tech support (or to help you with your computer/phone/laptop at home). I'll help if needed, but don't call me first.

And I'm going to keep walking on your lawn, no matter how much you yell at me. I don't respect authority and can outrun you.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B
^^ Silly young person.

Silly old people already employed: Hurry up and get fired or retire so we can get the good jobs! Also, learn how to use Excel, or call IT, not just any random person that's under 35 is here to be your tech support (or to help you with your computer/phone/laptop at home). I'll help if needed, but don't call me first.

And I'm going to keep walking on your lawn, no matter how much you yell at me. I don't respect authority and can outrun you.

I didn't create a filable expense form for you to print out and fill in crazy
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 05:26 PM

Add to #9 - Just because you have an advanced degree (MBA, etc) that does not mean you automatically know more and should get paid more than the person who's actually been working in the field for 15+ years.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 05:28 PM

Number 4????
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Add to #9 - Just because you have an advanced degree (MBA, etc) that does not mean you automatically know more and should get paid more than the person who's actually been working in the field for 15+ years.

AMEN!
Posted By: Sunshine Lady

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 05:37 PM

I love number #9. You can sometimes fill a thimble with what they know about the job vs someone who has been doing it for a long, long time. Knowledge is power.

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 06:43 PM

I don't respect authority and can outrun you.

this old guy clicked of a 6:30 mile earlier this month...bring it junior...

and i was using Macs probably before you were weaned...my excel macros can out pie-chart yours...
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 06:44 PM

Learn how to read and comprehend what you read. You only get to ignore the procedures if you're the CEO and ,no, that's not gonna happen at your next promotion.....
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 06:47 PM

Can you outrun the "jet spray" setting on a hose nozzle? laugh

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

and i was using Macs probably before you were weaned...my excel macros can out pie-chart yours...

I can still outrun you, but I respect your time none the less. smile I was Office XP expert-certified, but didn't bother to keep it up and go on to the 2010 stuff since I use nothing complex here, and can google anything I need to learn.

I've said it before, my generation, and younger generations will never be smarter than the old people, we are simply better at knowing how to find the answer instead of devoting memory to knowing the answer. Besides, pie charts?? Psh, nobody uses those, unless they're made from pies! Mmmm pie.

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 07:21 PM

For the record, my agreement with #9 isn't related to the person's age or experience...just the many people i've known (not all, obviously) who have law degrees who seem to think "boom, now that's done....let the money come rolling in".

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 07:50 PM

are you kidding? our ALCO folks live for pie charts...and bar graphs...both horizontal and vertical...

Originally Posted By: youngwhippersnapperpunk MattyB
I can still outrun you

in that case, i'll transition to the car. Outrun this! shocked

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
For the record, my agreement with #9 isn't related to the person's age or experience...just the many people i've known (not all, obviously) who have law degrees who seem to think "boom, now that's done....let the money come rolling in".

i know an attorney who is the customer service manager at the local winn dixie. i know another who sells insurance. a 3rd is a high school civics teacher...not always what people think it is cracked up to be

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 08:09 PM

On the flip side...way back in my days in college, a case study was done that showed a sizeable number of upper level management in larger companies were either lawyers or CPAs. The person that can manipulate the law and/or money generally has some sway.

***I want to add that I can't remember any percentages or numbers. Or even if it is still true today. But at the time I thought it was interesting.*** smile

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 08:19 PM

Some of the sharpest people i know are lawyers, no doubt. I know many others that aren't in the top 50% of sharpest people i know. Always have to take people one at a time.
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 08:21 PM

Raising Arizona - Evelle: H.I., you're young and you got your health, what you want with a job?

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/19/14 08:30 PM

Young people entering banking and wanting to rise into management have to understand that this is not McDonalds. Your work week is not exactly 40 hours. Sometimes you go to meetings in the evening, like Chamber of Commerce meetings. Sometimes you come in really early or on a weekend to get work done. Sometimes you spend your personal time at community service events. You're a banker 24 hours.
Posted By: MonicaMc

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 01:31 PM

Also, learn how to use Excel, or call IT, not just any random person that's under 35 is here to be your tech support (or to help you with your computer/phone/laptop at home). I'll help if needed, but don't call me first.

This. I am the youngest person in my office and definitely the most "tech savvy." I'm not sure how it got around that I knew my way around a computer, but I am always the one that people go to, even before calling IT.
Posted By: JWills, CRCM

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MonicaMc
Also, learn how to use Excel, or call IT, not just any random person that's under 35 is here to be your tech support (or to help you with your computer/phone/laptop at home). I'll help if needed, but don't call me first.

This. I am the youngest person in my office and definitely the most "tech savvy." I'm not sure how it got around that I knew my way around a computer, but I am always the one that people go to, even before calling IT.

My son is an IT guy, and I sometimes email him at his job to ask how to fix something at my job. Any my husband is not tech savvy at all, so when he asks something.....boy, watch out!
Posted By: ahkcompliance

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

I can still outrun you, but I respect your time none the less. smile I was Office XP expert-certified, but didn't bother to keep it up and go on to the 2010 stuff since I use nothing complex here, and can google anything I need to learn.

I've said it before, my generation, and younger generations will never be smarter than the old people, we are simply better at knowing how to find the answer instead of devoting memory to knowing the answer. Besides, pie charts?? Psh, nobody uses those, unless they're made from pies! Mmmm pie.

We had an ex EVP who LOVED pie charts! He would make one for everything.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: JWills
My son is an IT guy, and I sometimes email him at his job to ask how to fix something at my job. Any my husband is not tech savvy at all, so when he asks something.....boy, watch out!

We had an IT guy with a sense of humor.
Told one person that he determined their problem was between the keyboard and chair.

One other case, he said it was a "one D ten T error"
(1D10T)
Posted By: Cornfed Turtle

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 02:26 PM

BOD loves the pies charts here, too.

But, just because there's a "pie chart" button doesn't mean it's really that easy. Many a new hire thinking that they can out Excel me has failed in making a pie chart or a graph. I have gotten to the age where I feel like my first boss. He wouldn't let me use the auto-plotting software until I could show him my data on graph paper first. Had to know what I was doing before I could just hit "Pie Chart" and publish something meaningless for the board.

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 02:43 PM

My son has a great sense of humor. There are some of the professors that irritate him, but most of them he is on first name basis with. Last week he said he had to walk across campus to help someone, only to find that it needed to be plugged in. But he laughed when he told me, probably not when he got to the classroom to fix it.

In two weeks he gets to travel to Dover, DE to set up computers at a college. He will be there for two weeks, then the other IT guy goes, then my son for two weeks again, until the end of the year. He is super excited!

He is not a true young person (just turned 28), but he was never the way some of our younger workers are.
Posted By: ahkcompliance

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 02:45 PM

Our new IT guy has no sense of humor. Everyone pretty much tries to avoid him because if you ask a question you get the whole back story as well!

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 03:31 PM

That is what my son said about the IT department at the college he is going to in Deleware. Not people friendly.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MonicaMc

sorry, but you're complaining about fulfilling a need and making yourself somewhat indispensable because why exactly? We all came in the door with something we were good at and used it to get other assignments that we got good at to get to the jobs and salaries we're making now. That's how this process works. My sharing my knowledge with you and you sharing your knowledge with me is what being on a team is all about.

Now, if someone is asking you to do it FOR them instead of asking you to show them how to did it themselves, that's a different story and an opportunity to learn how to deal with the people in the world who will take advantage of others.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 03:54 PM

This is one instance when it is nice to be labeled as an old person leaving the workforce....

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 04:41 PM

TR, I've yet to have someone want me to teach them how to do something. Usually I'm met with things that happen quarterly, or otherwise not real often and they say "I'll forget how to do this by next time, but I won't forget how to find you!" Or...you could take notes? crazy Or when they bring in their laptop from home and want you to work on it for them. I've done that a few times, but I had one particular person that kept destroying their machine with viruses and I ended up billing them after the last one that I spent a solid 10 hours on. They haven't come back to me since wink

I don't mind helping people, but when they walk past the IT team, which has an over-staffed help desk program so they can track issues and respond appropriately, it just seems backward to go to the compliance person (or anyone else) instead.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 05:14 PM

Totally agree on the points you raised, Matt.
You're a saint for fixing someone's private machine.

As for the 'I won't forget how to find you' commenter, I'd have a good retort at the ready for next time. Something along the lines of 'and I'll be waiting at your desk on pay day for you to reimburse me for doing your job!' You have to say it with a big smile and then turn back to your own work. Unless this person is your superior, they'll get the message.

And yes, for those of you who see my responses and say 'yea, that's easy to say but hard to do' you're right. It is. But, like voting in an election, you don't have the right to complain if you're not willing to take the steps to change the situation.
Posted By: Xian Ngyuen

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocky P

Told one person that he determined their problem was between the keyboard and chair.

PEBCAK - Problem exists between chair and keyboard

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 07:45 PM

I think it's a myth that younger people are better at computers than we old folks. Last week I had to show a guy 20 years younger than me how to print a Google map. Printing, in general, seems to be a difficult task around here. Knowing keyboard shortcuts is like knowing some secret black magic. Yes, those keys at the top with the little F's actually do something.

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 07:51 PM

For me, i can navigate computers fine in most areas of my job, but i have problems with things like Word and Excel, simply because until my current job, i never had any use for them (or training in them), so in the formatting areas, etc. i struggle with it. My go-to gal on all things Word and Excel left last year too....
Posted By: ComplianceDude

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 08:39 PM

Had someone slightly younger (5 years?) sit with me for an hour and train me on (what I considered to be) advanced excel tactics. Her one hour of volunteered time (the company's time) ended up saving me about 1 to 2 hours per week, and I'm very grateful. I don't, however, run back to her each time with repeat requests to do or say the same thing.

There's definitely a difference between "do it for me" and "teach me." I have people here that ask me to do things for them all the time, both in Excel and Word. I stand behind them and ask them to do make the clicks and type the formulas, and I say, "Okay, write this down..." before I start.

Have very little respect or tolerance for people who flat out refuse to do anything in Excel, or to even try. I think it is a job requisite at this point, and refusing to try to learn is basically a request to retire.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 09:02 PM

But will asking for help kill you?
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/22/14 09:52 PM

not asking could
Posted By: BurntSienna

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/26/14 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocky P
Originally Posted By: JWills

We had an IT guy with a sense of humor.

One other case, he said it was a "one D ten T error"
(1D10T)

laugh I am an IT person, and at a former job we used the acronym PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair) quite often. We also used the "One D Ten T" code. Thanks for the big smile and happy memory. laugh
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/26/14 06:12 PM

Dilbert's boss is the E-Director of Information, Operations and Technology (E-DIOT). laugh
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/27/14 12:58 PM

Manimal,

I thought you made an interesting point, but apparently no one else did. wink

Dear Pot,

Yes, I am black.

Love, Kettle
Posted By: noelekal

Re: Dear Young People entering the workforce... - 09/30/14 09:30 PM

Manimal does speak truth.