subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel?

Posted By: HappyGilmore

subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 08:41 PM

so i'm in the pre-planning stages of a car purchase, which will take place around April 2015 (yes, i plan far ahead). I've narrowed my choices to:

Honda CR-V (current vehicle)
VW Passat Diesel (high mileage)
Subaru Legacy (had Sub's before and they hold up well)

I like the CR-V as it lets me tote my bike without using the bike rack, but at 29 MPG combined, not the best on mileage. I've had a jetta diesel so no issues with the passat, just more room. i like the way the legacy looks, but both the legacy and passat leave me lugging the bike via rack anywhere i go. anyone currently have one and care to chime in?

(oh, and I can get teh honda and subaru at cost, as both dealers are personal friends)
Posted By: edAudit

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 08:56 PM

I would get an American car in 5 years after the all of the recalls you end up with all new parts in your 5 year old car.

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 09:03 PM

hmmm...hadn't thought of that...haven't had an american branded car since 1985...
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 09:10 PM

I would get the new Toyota as it has a cool feature that accelerates the car for you. Well that was before the recall. Recalls ruin all the fun.
Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 09:16 PM

We've had a couple of Subbies and they are as tough as a tank and will go about anywhere. My personal favorite is the Impreza WRX STI, but it really has nothing to do with praticality, its bloody damned fast. smile
However our current Subaru is the Outback and it has a ton of room and you can get a bike (2 actually) in the back. I have another friend with a Crosstrek and she loves it!

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 09:22 PM

make an offer on this

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/09/29/first-2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-sells-for-825000/

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 09:27 PM

I suffer from advanced "Leadfootitis". I do not believe that the Hellcat would solve my issue.
Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
We've had a couple of Subbies and they are as tough as a tank and will go about anywhere. My personal favorite is the Impreza WRX STI, but it really has nothing to do with praticality, its bloody damned fast. smile
However our current Subaru is the Outback and it has a ton of room and you can get a bike (2 actually) in the back. I have another friend with a Crosstrek and she loves it!

In the process of buying the wife an Outback - having to order it. Don't have it yet but she absolutely loves it, for whatever that's worth. grin

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

In the process of buying the wife an Outback - having to order it. Don't have it yet but she absolutely loves it, for whatever that's worth. grin

For those wishing to buy an Outback

http://www.franchise.org//Outback_Steakhouse_International_LP_franchise.aspx

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: edAudit
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

For those wishing to buy an Outback

http://www.franchise.org//Outback_Steakhouse_International_LP_franchise.aspx

Useful, but not interchangable.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 09/30/14 10:50 PM

CRV. The others are icky.

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 12:56 PM

i've done some reading on the WRX...it is faster than a porsche carrera, both off the line and top speed. pretty sure my license and insurance can't afford the tickets i'd rack up with that.
Posted By: 80's Lady

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 01:06 PM

And the WRX is also the most ticketed car, so you are right on that, Happy!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/30/vehicles-us-most-tickets/16490255/

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 01:10 PM

i read the list, and with the exception of the Infiniti QX56, i think the raeason could be attributed to the other 19 cars being sought after by younger drivers, who haven't yet learned that tickets cost money on insurance (and won't learn that until Daddy makes them pay their own).
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 01:41 PM

Hard choice - both are great

Passat is improving with reliability but has its share of past problems. great mileage and engineering. (Passat was referred to as almost an Audi)

I love Subaru's - the only thing stopping me is there is no need in SC for a 4WD with the extra parts/weight. My brother has one and loves it - one problem - he had a tire blow out with about 10,000 miles wear. He had to replace all 4 tires because it is a constant 4WD and the diameter difference from the wear would put a huge strain on the differential.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 02:50 PM

German engineering!
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 03:39 PM

My daughter-in-law drives an Impreza and my son has a Forester. He is a car guy and loves Subarus.
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 03:58 PM

I have also started looking for a new car with super high standards like cheap, ok millage and not a deathtrap. wink
Posted By: noelekal

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 04:14 PM

Sure was impressed with the BMW twin-turbo diesel wagon, some European-only model we experienced while on vacation. I'd like to know what model it was. I rode around in it a week never realizing it was only a 4-cylinder and diesel at that, only making the discovery when stopping in for fuel. Low-end, neck-snapping torque with effortless high-speed acceleration and cruising capabilities, coupled with what was obviously excellent fuel economy. It belonged to our host.

I could do diesel engines like that one. If the Passat even approached it in drive-ability and economy it'd be a winner.

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 80's Lady

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/30/vehicles-us-most-tickets/16490255/

My car didnt even make the top 20? Thats disgraceful!! laugh
Posted By: VWgirl21

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 04:52 PM

I love my passat, it is a gas though. My family members have diesel VWs and all have had really good luck with them. I would have bought a diesel but the year I bought diesels were not available due to a fire at one of the VW plants. I would really like to have a diesel passat wagon.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 05:43 PM

You don't drive a Mercury Topaz? wink

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 05:47 PM

Suzuki Reno ???

has anyone passed by one of theses or should I try the running thread?

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 05:51 PM

Suzuki and Porsche should collaborate on a Reno 911. wink

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Suzuki and Porsche and comedy central should collaborate on a Reno 911. wink

Fixed
Posted By: thomasj

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 08:32 PM

My bank has a Suzuki Kasashi sedan as one of our company cars and it will haul some serious butt. Of course it won't hold a front end alignment so you are going very fast, just not sure which direction.

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 08:40 PM

Geo and Isuzu could collaborate for a Storm-Trooper. smirk

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/01/14 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: GuitarDude

You don't drive a Mercury Topaz? wink

I drive a white car and whites cars werent on the list.
and TJ I'd be out on the Suzuki Kasashi. Thats just too hard to say all at once.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/02/14 02:26 PM

Isn't that a cereal?
Posted By: manimal

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/03/14 04:48 PM

My mother had nothing but expensive problems with her Passat, I'd never ever buy one of those. I love my Subie but I'd have no problem with the Honda either. You don't really need the AWD where you are, but that was something I needed up here so I went with the Subie since it came standard along with heat-up seats.
Posted By: Granny

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/20/14 10:02 PM

I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE my 2014 Subaru Forester - it's the second subie I've owned and they definitely hold their value for trade-in when you're ready for a newer one.

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/21/14 11:08 AM

subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel?

I know where you can get a used 2001 Jimmy fairly cheap. laugh
Posted By: Aggs

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/22/14 07:54 PM

From your choices, I love the CRV the most. I looked into it myself in March but I ended up getting the Acura RDX instead. It was a little roomier/bigger and a smoother ride - AND it had the keyless (touch-door) entry and push-button start. I could not go back to using a car key (haven't had to since 2010) so Acura it was.

However, the 2015 CRV redesign now includes the push-button start - Honda is finally catching up! The 2015s now come with CVT (continuosly variable transmission) and you have to decide if you like that or not. I had CVT in my Altima and Rogue and it was fine, but I realize I'm not a big fan. I love my Acura the most of any car I've ever owned.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/22/14 08:40 PM

Acura is luxury Honda, I wonder if the push button start wasn't on the Honda because it's kind of a lower end Acura

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/22/14 08:55 PM

Ehh, that's like saying Lexus is a luxury Toyota or Audi is a luxury VW. Whatevs! laugh

My Nissan (a lower end Infinity) had the push button start years ago. More automakers need to get with the times!

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/22/14 09:13 PM

Yes, there was just an article in my neighborhood about a rash of cars being stolen with the push button thingy as people are leaving the fob in the car.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/22/14 09:19 PM

Just another electronic gadget that will not last beyond 10 years and will cost you your fist born child to repair.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/22/14 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Just another electronic gadget that will not last beyond 10 years and will cost you your fist born child to repair.

Not a first born, but $210 for the fob and an additional $80 for programming. Did not need another key though - the original one was good, just wet after going through the wash. (Avalon)
Posted By: thomasj

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/23/14 01:12 PM

Has anyone bought a pre-owned car recently that came with both of the keyless entry remotes or intelligent keys? Both of the pre-owned cars we have bought in the past 5 years had one or both remotes missing. The last place even had a sign on the desk that said "Cars come with one key/remote, do not ask for more, we don't have them".

What's happening is that wholesalers, auctions, rental places and even the dealerships themselves are selling the second remotes to people who sell them online. In fact I know of a guy who has a huge business buying these things in bulk from car salesman, auctions, and car rental places and resells them online. He pays approximately $10 a piece for them, then resells them for $20 online, and he's doing quite well.

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/23/14 01:18 PM

I think the problem is people not knowing where the second intelligent key is... When I traded my Altima in (in 2012), I had no idea where the spare was. I found it last month when we were moving. LOL

Most of the time when I've traded cars in I didn't have the second set of keys for one reason or another. So maybe it's not all crooked dealerships? smile

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/23/14 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: edAudit
Yes, there was just an article in my neighborhood about a rash of cars being stolen with the push button thingy as people are leaving the fob in the car.

Well, that's just dumb! grin

They're obviously leaving their cars unlocked then and not even trying to lock them - if you leave the fob in the car, the car won't let you lock it and gives off an obnoxious beeping sound.

It's another thing I love about it - I can't possibly lock my keys in the car.

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/23/14 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggs
It's another thing I love about it - I can't possibly lock my keys in the car.

well, you could lock your keys in IF the engine was running and you got out of it...i saw someone at a gas station last week that did that...

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/23/14 01:45 PM

Weird... None of my cars would ever let me do that, even if the engine was running. I'd often start my car when it was cold, then take the fob out and lock the door. It will not let you lock the door from the outside if the fob is inside.

But then again, I am only used to a few car brands, others may let you do that.
Posted By: DoS

Re: subaru legacy or VW Passat diesel? - 10/23/14 02:05 PM

so ... where do you put your deer after you shoot it? laugh