Suburbs biggest problems still not well known.

Posted By: buggs

Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/14/14 05:09 PM

I recently found a blog named "Strong Towns." It has opened my eyes regarding some of the biggest problems being faced by the public as suburbia ages. Suburbs were built without any real thought for the future. They are just a place to live away from urban areas, but close enough to commute to urban areas to work. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but have we now painted ourselves into a corner? Perhaps, unless we start rethinking our suburbs.

If you're into community development or if you're a CRA professional, this is a blog you should be following.

http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2014/11/12/the-death-of-second-ring-suburbs
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/14/14 06:10 PM

I don't think community development (especially if you are a CRA professional) means what you think it means.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/14/14 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
I don't think community development (especially if you are a CRA professional) means what you think it means.

Then you're not thinking fourth dimensionally, Pale. Broaden your horizons, my friend.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/14/14 08:50 PM

Yeah, Pale. Drop a tab first.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/14/14 08:58 PM

Good article, Buggs. We have a suburb near here that was anchored by a mall, like the town in the article, and commercial sprawl all round it. The housing in the town is mostly post-war ranch homes, rapidly aging, and a bunch of apartment complexes. Traffic is always a mess in by the mall, and the mall has seen better days, and with Amazon and e-commerce, who goes to the mall? You can't walk or bike anywhere in town because the roads don't have room for it.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/17/14 08:50 PM

Right on, MBH. This is the piper that suburbia is now having to pay. Short sighted planners who are still stuck in the 1950s and believe that their jobs are just about moving automobile traffic.

Pale, where this ties in to CD and CRA is that our blighted and destitute inner and second ring suburban communities in metropolitan areas have no hope of rising above the poverty level until these problems are addressed. Some folks are moving back into the urban areas, but that won't help the suburbs.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/17/14 09:05 PM

It is nice that once again someone (the article and not a comment on one or any BOL posters) pointed out the obvious (that local politicians can not figure out) with out a solution other than change.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/17/14 09:20 PM

I think one city that I'm familiar with that has this nailed is Ft. Worth, TX. They have taken a downtown area that had seen better days, and created a mixed use area...offices, restaurants, apartments, condos, performing arts center, theater, outdoor market, public square...as well as many other things.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/17/14 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: buggs
where this ties in to CD and CRA is that our blighted and destitute inner and second ring suburban communities in metropolitan areas have no hope of rising above the poverty level until these problems are addressed. Some folks are moving back into the urban areas, but that won't help the suburbs.

but, until city leaders wake up and approve changes, there is no CD or CRA option. From the article, I can't believe they were concerned with "additional traffic" and "not a Minnetonkan value" as reasons not to approve. Drawings looked great, and bringing back business to an area that has none seems like a no-brainer to me. Seems like soemthing cities today should be seeking out, not avaoiding.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/17/14 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
I think one city that I'm familiar with that has this nailed is Ft. Worth, TX. They have taken a downtown area that had seen better days, and created a mixed use area...offices, restaurants, apartments, condos, performing arts center, theater, outdoor market, public square...as well as many other things.

True, cities are taking steps to revitalize their urban cores, but the suburban governments are busy perpetuating their problems by repeating the actions that have caused the problems in the first place. As tax revenue goes down, they must try to milk other sources for revenue. Sometimes the quickest way to do that is through traffic tickets. Unfortunately, this creates the most burden for low income people and causes them to sink even lower. Which in turn does not solve the revenue problems and even makes them worse.

There can be community development opportunities if bankers will take the initiative and begin trying to bring people together. Government is not doing it. The community groups are too busy fighting with each other or protecting their turfs. Forward thinking bankers are finally in a position to be true leaders. That is, if we are willing to wake up to the opportunities and take a longer look down the road past out next scheduled examination.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 02:50 PM

Poverty causes bad driving?
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 03:05 PM

The new income maker for our area is Tickets as Buggs stated. New "Destracted Driver" ordinance. Cell Phone, Drinking, eating, etc. $149 per pop. Last month the city wrote 849 tickets. Cha Ching!!

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 03:11 PM

There can be community development opportunities if bankers will take the initiative and begin trying to bring people together. Government is not doing it. The community groups are too busy fighting with each other or protecting their turfs. Forward thinking bankers are finally in a position to be true leaders. That is, if we are willing to wake up to the opportunities and take a longer look down the road past out next scheduled examination.

While i agree in theory, in practice it is another animal. If a government is not willing to change, nothing that a banker, or anyone else in the community, does will get past that hurdle. If you need government approval for building, and they won't issue it, then all effort to that point is wasted. Not sure about where you work, but in my world Bankers and not big on wasted time and effort with no return.

In NO, many bankers serve on various groups, there is a technology group that procurred numerous businesses to move to the city, there is a group that worked to get a new VA Medical center built. But trying to get funds for building low cost housing, government wanted nothing to do with that.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 07:39 PM

I understand, Happy. I get the same defeatist reaction in my areas too. We get what we settle for, I guess.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 07:46 PM

Not sure I would call it a defeatist reaction...if the powers that be hold the final say, and their final say is no, i would call it a realist reaction rather than defeatist.

I'll phrase another way...when a young lad, my family had several cars, but with 7 kids, until we bought our own car, you were at the mercy of one of the 3 family cars. 2 of these were sedans, and one was a conversion van. if you had a date, you were restricted to a sedan, the van (with the plush leather sofa/bed in the back) was off limits. You could ask my dad week in and week out to use the van for a date if the other cars were taken, but the answer was always going to be no. At some point, we all realized asking was futile if a date was planned...his cars, his rules.

their town, their rules...

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 07:51 PM

The powers that be can be influenced if we try. That's what I mean by leadership.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 07:52 PM

They call that bribery

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 07:58 PM

Ed, you're making a joke, right?

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 08:04 PM

If you say so.

If the people who live there do not want it (NIMBY)and the pols do not want to fight for it a simple banker has no recourse.
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 08:03 PM

tilting at windmills

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: edAudit
If you say so.

If the people who live there do not want it (NIMBY)and the pols do not want to fight for it a simple banker has no recourse.

True. A person who only wants to be a banker has no recourse, but let's be honest. That is by choice, not by fate.

If they don't want it, then they don't. But there are plenty of communities who *do* want it. Why did you even bring that up?

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/18/14 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic
tilting at windmills

I take it you're one of those "simple bankers" Ed mentions?
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/19/14 04:07 PM

Let the free market decides these things. Big government is bad government.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/19/14 04:15 PM

If you say so.

True. A person who only wants to be a banker has no recourse, but let's be honest. That is by choice, not by fate.

If they don't want it, then they don't. But there are plenty of communities who *do* want it. Why did you even bring that up?

I live in an area where whenever a proposal for development is suggested it is swiftly canned and met with protest(unless it is another shopping center or strip mall)

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/19/14 05:16 PM

The powers that be can be influenced if we try. That's what I mean by leadership.

i'm guessing you don't have much experience dealing with entrenched city leaders who are set in their ways. or worse, vote solely along political or racial lines, which prevents any type of progress that benefits the city and the people who live there.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/19/14 05:37 PM

If you say so.

You know what else is a choice?

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/19/14 06:14 PM

If they don't want it, then they don't. But there are plenty of communities who *do* want it.

haven't you just validated what everyone is saying - that if a community doesn't want it then nothing can be done?

and yes, for the ones who do realize the benefit and want it, getting their support is easy...

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/19/14 08:10 PM

i'm guessing you don't have much experience dealing with entrenched city leaders who are set in their ways. or worse, vote solely along political or racial lines, which prevents any type of progress that benefits the city and the people who live there.

You're in New Orleans, right? That's a whole different world of corruption down there, I'm told. Let's make an exception for you, Hap.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/19/14 08:10 PM

If you say so.

You know what else is a choice?

Your avatar, I believe.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/20/14 08:31 PM

You're in New Orleans, right? That's a whole different world of corruption down there, I'm told. Let's make an exception for you, Hap.

why, Buggs, are you suggesting just throw out this viewpoint because it doesn't match what you are stating? I'd say that this is laughable, but I think you beat me to that already...

Some of here use very twisted logic to bend facts their points of view.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/21/14 12:49 AM

No, Happy. It was meant as a joke. Based on what I've read about N.O. from many different sources, you guys have issues to deal with politically than others of us don't, with the possible exception of Chicago.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/21/14 12:41 PM

Right on, MBH. This is the piper that suburbia is now having to pay. Short sighted planners who are still stuck in the 1950s and believe that their jobs are just about moving automobile traffic.

Pale, where this ties in to CD and CRA is that our blighted and destitute inner and second ring suburban communities in metropolitan areas have no hope of rising above the poverty level until these problems are addressed. Some folks are moving back into the urban areas, but that won't help the suburbs.

That assumes there is no such thing as income/class mobility.

No hope = absolute that can be easily refuted.

I guess I don't understand your argument here. Because of poor city planning, poverty in suburbs is hopeless and cannot be stopped? Seems like there is a podcast for everything under the sun. I am going to make one on why Turkeys are really mammals and not birds.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/21/14 12:43 PM

NOLA has suburbs though right? According to the logic in the link you provided, all suburbs should subject to the same problems.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/21/14 12:48 PM

Believe it or not Buggs, while I just want to disagree with you because I think it can be fun, I sort of agree with you on this. But I have to ask you a few questions.

1) Why do you care?
2) Did you read this entire problem? The reason I ask this part is because in the link you provided, the problem was predicated on: "These suburbs would like to grow their tax base, but they haven’t much additional land to grow outwards. All new growth must go upwards. It is this dynamic that has longtime residents at odds with the future non-existent residents."

You and I have been on BOL for a long time and if you were actually having a problem with this, I would note that this goes against everything you have ever supported. This implies that the problem is really a desire to expand a local government via taxes and outlays. With the exception of privacy concerns, you have always supported such positions. So why the concern now?

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/21/14 01:53 PM

No, Happy. It was meant as a joke. Based on what I've read about N.O. from many different sources, you guys have issues to deal with politically than others of us don't, with the possible exception of Chicago.

Buggs, first I apologize for the misinterpretation.

I think the NO city leaders in NO have come a long way from the reputation they hold among the rest of the US...but still have a long way to go.

But cities such as L.A., San Fran, Jackson, MS, Miami, NYC, all make the news with divisive issues, often cut along party of racial lines. I'm sure many other small towns have issues of this nature as well - growth and change verus NIMBY. I live in a small town (8,500 people)about an hour north of NO, and a local private school wants to tear down and build a new gym...it has passed the planning and zoning board, but the "beautification" committee refuses to give the approval because 1 oak tree may need to have some branches trimmed...the tree remains, and the plans also call for planting additional trees on the property.

If leaders remain entrenched in their ways, there is not a lot an outsider can do to change this.

Re: Suburbs biggest problems still not well known. - 11/21/14 01:57 PM

That assumes there is no such thing as income/class mobility.

Funny you should mention that, because what is often referred to as "white flight" contributes much more to decay of inner cities as the tax base relocates to the suburbs, and leaders are left with how to fund and keep a city running with many of the high wage earners no longer paying taxes within the city, but driving in every day to work there.

In my area, the suburbs are much nicer than inner city living.