love me some Jiffy corn breads
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Cornbread - 11/18/14 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: edAudit
is that like an instant grit?

Yes. grin
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: Cornbread - 11/18/14 10:34 PM

Wait...there's another kind other than Jiffy?

Re: Cornbread - 11/18/14 10:39 PM

Jiffy is to cornbread what McDonald's is to fine cuisine.

I'm a cornbread snob...i admit it.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Cornbread - 11/18/14 10:55 PM

Big Mac Incoming!!
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Peepers
Big Mac Incoming!!
grin
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:35 PM

TJ has never tried cornbread so I bought a box of Jiffy. Guess if he doesn't like it I can blame the mix. laugh
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Jiffy is to cornbread what McDonald's is to fine cuisine.

I'm a cornbread snob...i admit it.

raitchjay and I think alike.

I will admit, however, there is one use for jiffy that actually works. It was a quick/easy winter recipe my mother used to make.

Chicken Shortcake.

Make Jiffy muffins

Pour mixture of chicken, broth, cream of chicken/mushroom soup, boiled eggs stuff over split in half muffins.

Eat.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:46 PM

Regional foods sure are interesting smile
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Soccer
Regional foods sure are interesting smile

Right! I had never heard of scrapple until I moved to PA. sick

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:50 PM

What is scrapple?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Soccer
What is scrapple?

The reason that PA does not have to many residents.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:51 PM

Jiffy is good in a crunch. But its just as easy to make your own and tastier...

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:52 PM

Composition

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added.[3][4] The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.[5]

A few manufacturers have introduced beef[6] and turkey varieties and color the loaf to retain the traditional coloration derived from the original pork liver base. Home recipes for chicken and turkey scrapple are also available.[7][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 03:55 PM

I liked it until I found out what was in it. sick
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 04:02 PM

I'd eat it.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 04:07 PM

I would try it. I'm guessing it's not too bad all mixed together and fried.

The ingredients on their own may not be so good.

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 04:13 PM

Tracey Ullman's character makes scrapple in the beginning of "A Dirty Shame".
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 04:41 PM

Homemade corn bread is the only way to go. I do enjoy the green chili version that I've had in some other areas (big in Colorado, green chilies in everything! yum) too.

Jiffy is like a tube of the cut and bake cookies. It's better than no corn bread, but not by much.

Family heritage type foods are interesting too. My wife's family is all Czech in background. Earlier this week she got jaternice out of the freezer (pronounced Ee-thur-neeet-suh, I don't get it). It's like a fatty not tasty sausage. They put it on toast with maple syrup and serve it with mashed potatoes... I don't even know what to do with it.

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: edAudit
Composition

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added.[3][4] The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.[5]

A few manufacturers have introduced beef[6] and turkey varieties and color the loaf to retain the traditional coloration derived from the original pork liver base. Home recipes for chicken and turkey scrapple are also available.[7][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

I'm pretty sure around here, that's called hogshead cheese, or maybe souse meat. eek

Or wait, maybe not...I didn't see the cornmeal part at first!!
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 04:53 PM

Around here (meaning my home, office, car, etc.) it is called "gross". wink

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: GuitarDude

Agreed, Yuck-sorry I asked!
Posted By: Aggs

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: GuitarDude

Hahahahaha laugh
Posted By: NotDoneYet

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 08:04 PM

I look forward to scrapple with breakfast when we camp.
Around here, we add a little maple syrup before eating. But I like it plain just as well.
I like Jiffy cornbread, too.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt_B

Jiffy is like a tube of the cut and bake cookies. It's better than no corn bread, but not by much.

I'm really disappointed in you #1. It doesn't get much better than a tube of cookie dough, a spoon, and a scary movie.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 09:44 PM

I said it before and I will say it again.

I loves Jiffy Corn Bread! Baked in an iron skillet. Just straight up with butter, with soup beans with chili. You name it, ther is nothing better.

I have had the "Southern" kind, it is BLUCKY!!! and don't even try to pass that stuff from cracker berrel to me. YUCK!

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DD Regs
You name it, ther is nothing better.

Real cornbread.

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 10:00 PM

I really can't comprehend someone not liking the kind of cornbread i'm talking about...i'm thinking you must have had some nasty old crumbly yellow cornbread or something. The kind i'm talking about (white cornmeal, no sugar, cooked in a cast iron skillet, topped with butter and then eaten with anything) is too good not to like.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Jen

I'm really disappointed in you #1. It doesn't get much better than a tube of cookie dough, a spoon, and a scary movie.

I don't use any of those three things. Sorry.

Re: Cornbread - 11/19/14 11:15 PM

I really can't comprehend someone not liking the kind of cornbread i'm talking about...i'm thinking you must have had some nasty old crumbly yellow cornbread or something. The kind i'm talking about (white cornmeal, no sugar, cooked in a cast iron skillet, topped with butter and then eaten with anything) is too good not to like.

You'll have to find a recipe so we non-cornbread lovers can be converted.

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 12:37 AM

Here's the way i make it:

heat up vegetable oil in a skillet and preheat oven to 400(about 3 tablespoons maybe....1 of them will go in to the mix, the other 2 stay in there)

mix a cup of white cornmeal (not corn flour...finding a really high quality cornmeal is the most important part of this entire recipe) with 3/4 cup of milk and one egg, then after the oil is heated up, pour a tablespoon or so of the oil in and continue to mix well. (Leave the oil on the stove to get good and hot...you want it to sear as you pour the mixture in.)

Pour the mixture in, leave it on the stovetop for maybe 30 seconds, then bake in the oven (30 minutes or so....you want it good and brown on top). Take out, butter, and enjoy.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 01:35 PM

Here's the way i make it:

heat up vegetable oil in a skillet and preheat oven to 400(about 3 tablespoons maybe....1 of them will go in to the mix, the other 2 stay in there)

mix a cup of white cornmeal (not corn flour...finding a really high quality cornmeal is the most important part of this entire recipe) with 3/4 cup of milk and one egg, then after the oil is heated up, pour a tablespoon or so of the oil in and continue to mix well. (Leave the oil on the stove to get good and hot...you want it to sear as you pour the mixture in.)

Pour the mixture in, leave it on the stovetop for maybe 30 seconds, then bake in the oven (30 minutes or so....you want it good and brown on top). Take out, butter, and enjoy.

I do this recipe with buttermilk. It makes it a little fluffier. smile

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 02:29 PM

I'll have to try it that way sometime Becca. (That recipe ^^ is basically a half-order for a smaller sized cast iron skillet....i'd double it if you want to make it in a large cast-iron skillet...unless you prefer your cornbread pretty thin.)
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 02:34 PM

I don't actually remember the proportions for the skillet cornbread off the top of my head like I do for the sour cream cornbread - I don't make it nearly as often. But when I do, I use buttermilk.

ETA: I also use buttermilk if I'm making corn muffins.

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 02:37 PM

my favorite recipe for Cornbread.

Walk into house and yell "women fix me some cornbread"

enjoy laugh
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 02:40 PM

I make the cornmeal/flour kind and use buttermilk too. Really gives the bread a nice fluffy texture. I think I'll try RJ's next time I'm making beans or chili!
Posted By: Cornfed Turtle

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 02:49 PM

And it's even better if you use your Grandmother's ancient, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. The best!

Another thought on Jiffy..... when I moved to the Midwest, found they mix it with corn, creamed corn, etc and bake a casserole with it.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Cornfed Turtle
And it's even better if you use your Grandmother's ancient, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. The best!

Another thought on Jiffy..... when I moved to the Midwest, found they mix it with corn, creamed corn, etc and bake a casserole with it.

Yes my favorite "Baked corn" recipe. Box of Jiffy corn bread, one egg, one can creamed corn, one bag of our home raised corn.

Mix and bake in 9x9 pan.

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 04:56 PM

As raitch said...good cornmeal is a 'must'. If you don't have your own homegrown, stoneground, then Alabama King is really good.

I don't heat my skillet on the stove tho...I stick it in the blazing hot oven [while it's preheating] and then pour the mixture in...I love watching it brown and bubble.

My 'secret ingredient' is to sprinkle the top lightly with salt. I'm not a salt eater, but this is a MUST to me for real cornbread. I do mine in an 8" skillet and it puffs up to round nicely to the top.

A comfort food for leftover real cornbread on a cold night:

Break up a hunk o cornbread into a coffee mug...fill with milk...warm up in microwave to eatable temp...get a spoon and eat.

Posted By: Cornfed Turtle

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 05:32 PM

Great...now I'm craving cornbread. And I believe I already posted somewhere that, according to my southern grandmother, I can't get good cornmeal OR buttermilk. (or flour for that matter!)

And, Joker, my grandfather used to take that cornbread mix in his lunchbox. I'm missing him just thinking about it.

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 05:47 PM

raitch what brand of cornmeal do you use?

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 05:56 PM

Quote:
And, Joker, my grandfather used to take that cornbread mix in his lunchbox. I'm missing him just thinking about it.

smile Warm thoughts and good memories!

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie

Shawnee's Best. It's the only kind i'll buy. I bought some Aunt Jemima's once cuz i couldn't find the Shawnee...big mistake.

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie

Shawnee's Best. It's the only kind i'll buy. I bought some Aunt Jemima's once cuz i couldn't find the Shawnee...big mistake.

you do not grind you own? shocked laugh
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 06:12 PM

You ain't never had my cornbread
It's a little bit of heaven, and a little bit of oh yeah.

Dave Matthews

Re: Cornbread - 11/20/14 06:44 PM

Thanks raitch. I use Shawnee Mill's everything else so that makes sense! I think what I have at home is the Aunt Jemima's.