It's *not* a joke.

Posted By: buggs

It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 12:40 AM

10 Reasons Why
See reason number one. This is why joking about this is obnoxious and definitely not funny. Only a bully would think it is funny.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 12:36 PM

Shireen is a YourTango writer, a sometimes writer, sometimes photographer trying to drop the sometimes. When she’s not writing she’s usually having full conversations with her cat, most of which revolve around trying to keep him away from her cheese. You can find her at JustShireen.com

http://thoughtcatalog.com/shireen-dadkhah/

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 12:42 PM

http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/112118/depression/

At least a article from someone in the health care profession if you believe the story or not is you choice.

Much like global climate change one can find an internet post that will clearly show both sides to the coin. Believe what you choose.
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: buggs
10 Reasons Why
See reason number one. This is why joking about this is obnoxious and definitely not funny. Only a bully would think it is funny.

If you truly have a problem with depression than I apologize. I thought someone else just made the claim up. We don't see eye to eye very much but I am sure you are a good person, and deserving of dignity.
Posted By: Xian Ngyuen

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: edAudit
http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/112118/depression/

At least a article from someone in the health care profession if you believe the story or not is you choice.

What are MerelyMe's healthcare credentials on this topic?

Putting that aside for the moment, both writers suffer from depression, and agree that depression expands to affect one's entire family. One believes that you can't just think yourself out of the pit, and one wonders if it might be possible.

Oh, and to my earlier question:

Originally Posted By: MerelyMe's profile

Bio: I am a published writer who suffers from depression and MS

ABOUT ME:
I have suffered from depression for as long as I can remember and I am now in my *gulp* mid-forties. Depression is an on-going battle for me and especially now as I have been diagnosed with a chronic disease, Multiple Sclerosis. Anyone who has depression knows that you don't endure this in a vacuum. Depression affects every aspect of your life and particularly your relationships. It is particularly difficult, sometimes, for family members and friends to understand what you may be going through. One of the struggles for me with having on-going depression is how to cope with the stressors of being a parent and also having a mood disorder. I have two boys and my youngest son has autism. It has been quite the challenge to find ways to meet my family's needs as well as my own.

One of the ways that I cope with things is to write. I am a newly published writer. I have written the first chapter in a book entitled, Embracing Autism, detailing my experience as both a parent and teacher to my son with autism. I wish to take my passion for writing and healing to share with you here. I will be primarily writing about my personal first hand experiences of how I have coped with depression for more than several decades now.

I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Special Education. I am also very close to obtaining my Master's degree in Social Work with only ten credits to go. My hope is to go back to school to finish my degree as well as pursue my writing endeavors. I really want to make a difference and help others who are also dealing with lifelong challenges

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 02:16 PM

I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Special Education. I am also very close to obtaining my Master's degree in Social Work with only ten credits to go. My hope is to go back to school to finish my degree as well as pursue my writing endeavors. I really want to make a difference and help others who are also dealing with lifelong challenges

Not the ideal person to write about a medical condition but has some medical training.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 02:20 PM

My point is and has been in several threads is that it may be best if actual experts are cited in theses types of discussions otherwise there citations are no better than the opinion some random bank employee on a bankers thread.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 02:28 PM

I would hope that first-hand experience has some value.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Xian Ngyuen
I would hope that first-hand experience has some value.

Probably not. A person with first hand experience may be biased one way or the other to rationalize their behavior. I have no opinion on whether depression is a choice, but I'm just asserting that a person with the condition may not be an unbiased observer.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:06 PM

Well, of course not. Therein, from my perspective, lies the value of their first-hand description of their own experience.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:07 PM

i've had many a broken bone, but I don't think that qualifies me for orthopaedic dissertations...

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:11 PM

Agreed. It does qualify you to describe how a broken bone feels, what treatment is like, and what recovery is like.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:14 PM

point taken

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:14 PM

Agreed. It does qualify you to describe how a broken bone feels, what treatment is like, and what recovery is like.

but a broken bone feels different to each person, treatment can vary, and recovery is not the same for all age groups.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:17 PM

And each person's experience has value.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:49 PM

Much like global climate change one can find an internet post that will clearly show both sides to the coin. Believe what you choose.

Ah, but on one I have *personal* experience. Do you?

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:51 PM

Who gives a damn about this person's healthcare credentials. I don't see you throwing out your credentials on most of the topics you discuss, however, you seem convinced we should listen to you. Why is that?
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:52 PM

The problem too, as with many other issues, is that we live in a society where people think they should have an opinion on everything, and that their opinion matters on EVERYTHING. My opinion on the best way to bake a souffle is worthless.
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:53 PM

Wouldn't that depend on how good your souffle is?
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:54 PM

It would....and since i've never made one and i'm sure the one i did make would suck, my opinion on it would be worthless.
Posted By: QCL

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:55 PM

My personal experience with depression is that after a very short time with meds, I can now handle it on my own and have done so for over 10 years, medicine free.
Posted By: noelekal

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 03:58 PM

Who gives a damn about this person's healthcare credentials. I don't see you throwing out your credentials on most of the topics you discuss, however, you seem convinced we should listen to you. Why is that?

This response is unnecessarily unkind to Xian Ngyuen.

You are the one original posting this thread. You must have been soliciting responses. Now you've gone and set one of those chips on your shoulder again, wanting someone to knock it off.

Xian Ngyuen responded and you want to pick a fight over it.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: QCL
My personal experience with depression is that after a very short time with meds, I can now handle it on my own and have done so for over 10 years, medicine free.

I know this is the experience of some people, and I'm truly glad this has worked for you. smile

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:09 PM

I have experience with individuals (not on bol so no need for anyone here to get defensive) who refuse to take the necessary steps to at least attempt to fix what is wrong and takes it out on others.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: raitchjay
It would....and since i've never made one and i'm sure the one i did make would suck, my opinion on it would be worthless.

Still, your first-person account of your attempt to make a souffle could be instructive, or at least entertaining.
Posted By: QCL

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:11 PM

I have experience with individuals (not on bol so no need for anyone here to get defensive) who refuse to take the necessary steps to at least attempt to fix what is wrong and takes it out on others.

I have a similar experience. NOT on BOL either. In this case (that I am thinking of) we had to take the necessary steps for that person to get them the help they needed.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:16 PM

You guys would argue about how paint dries. Why is that?

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:18 PM

You guys would argue about how paint dries. Why is that?

Would that be water-based or oil?
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:21 PM

What color? Indoor, or outdoor?

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:22 PM

Temperature and humidity?
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:29 PM

If I'm wrong, then let it roll off your back.

In other words, don't call me on behavior of which I am accusing you.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:33 PM

Flaming post edited out.
Next step will be to trash the entire thread.
No further warnings will be issued.

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:36 PM

i remember seeing an article recently about how big pharma is not about finding a cure, but about finding new customers. to some degree, i think that add, adhd, ptsd, depression, and a host of other mental illnesses can be attributed to this.

Please don't misunderstand what i am saying, there are many people that need medication for these and others, but the quick diagnosis and writing of prescriptions is done so willy-nilly. I know someone who was diagnosed as clinincally depressed by their OB/GYN, another by their internist, and one by their dentist - yes, their dentist. I wonder their actual qualifications to make that diagnosis.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
i remember seeing an article recently about how big pharma is not about finding a cure, but about finding new customers. to some degree, i think that add, adhd, ptsd, depression, and a host of other mental illnesses can be attributed to this.

Please don't misunderstand what i am saying, there are many people that need medication for these and others, but the quick diagnosis and writing of prescriptions is done so willy-nilly. I know someone who was diagnosed as clinincally depressed by their OB/GYN, another by their internist, and one by their dentist - yes, their dentist. I wonder their actual qualifications to make that diagnosis.

Unfortunately, I think this applies to so many medical maladies in modern society. Imagine the number of people & corporations who rely on these research and cure R&D organizations, and who would be eventually out of work if a "cure" is found for said illness.

Sort of a medical version of the military industrial complex that feeds and fuels itself.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 08:14 PM

My Mother went thru a great deal in her childhood and young adulthood. Her GYN diagnosed her as "clinically depressed" and gave her addictive drugs to take. She has taken them since she was 21 - she is now 78 and her brain is mush... Not once did he or any of her doctors send her to a qualified psychiatrist to obtain the real help that she needed. It was "just throw pills at it" approach. Her depression ruled her life-even with the pills. She learned how to use it to her advantage to get what she wanted from others. My sister and I feel robbed of the person she could have been with the proper therapy... I realize that clinical depression exists in the world, but believe that a lot has been misdiagnosed and really needs to be evaluated. We All have hard times and unhappy times, we don't need to let those rule our lives and determine our state of mind.
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 11/24/14 08:19 PM

My own doc warned me that she is pressured to write me a script rather than give me the information I really need to heal. So drugs it was till I was better and my doctor was sure it was because of my won work rather than the chemical help she had proscribed. But if she had said that to a insurance dept person she would have been fired or written up for sure.
Posted By: jaenelle

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 12/01/14 08:18 PM

I think for many people the stigma attached to mental illness makes them reluctant to seek help. I know that was the case for me. I have depression, anxiety, and panic disorder, and was pretty good at covering it up, I think. It took a suicide attempt for most people to even realize I had a problem. That was 8 months ago.

I'm glad I didn't succeed, and I'm proud of the progress I've made with the help of therapy, but most days are honestly still a struggle.

Although it *can* be funny (in a bizarre way, not a haha way) mental illness is never a joking matter.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 12/01/14 08:34 PM

we're glad you didn't succeed, jaenelle....
Posted By: Sunshine Lady

Re: It's *not* a joke. - 12/01/14 08:37 PM

Your are right, it is never a joking matter. Depression runs in our family, so we have all been affected by it. Some people believe that there is not such thing as depression and you can "just get over it". To those people, I say "walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me." I have worked since I was 12 years old and my motto daily is "to put one foot in front of the other and do the very best I can do."