Superbowl picks?

Posted By: edAudit

Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 02:34 PM

The winner will be the NFL due to money paid by the sponsors.

Looser will be the fans. There will be some controversy revolving the half time show.

Game will be a snoozefest.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 02:40 PM

I can't decide which team I dislike the least.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 02:50 PM

I think it will be the Cheatriots.
Posted By: basilring

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 02:51 PM

I'm not a fan of either team - but I will cheer for the Seahawks because I'm tired of Brady. How's that for a reason.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 02:54 PM

I think how the Seattle safeties match up with Gronk will be an interesting storyline through the game. I think those safeties have the size and speed to cover Gronk but we will see.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: edAudit
Looser will be the fans. There will be some controversy revolving the half time show.

it will be spinning?
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 03:07 PM

Looser will be the fans.

hopefully those fans will tighten up...
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 03:25 PM

I don't know, I'm just a little deflated that the Pats are in the Super Bowl again. Maybe Seattle will knock the air out of New England.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 03:26 PM

HA!

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 03:43 PM

i'm not overly pumped up with either team...
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 03:44 PM

I thought da Pats already let the air out
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 04:25 PM

Should be a great game.
Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 05:08 PM

If my Seahawks play like I know they can, we can win it. smile Sunday's game was unbelievable and so emotional!! I still can't believe they pulled off a win! As much as I love my Hawks, they played horrible for most of the game and did not deserve the win, but I am overjoyed that they did and we're going to the big dance again!! There are some definite weak spots that they need to work out this week so they're ready for the Patriots. I told my husband he has to be a Seahawk bandwagon fan for Super Bowl since his 49ers aren't playing. I even threatened to get him a Seahawks shirt to wear. He didn't find that as entertaining as I did laugh
Posted By: CULady

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 05:51 PM

Rooting for my Hawks! That game was a rollercoaster! I can NOT believe they pulled off that win, but happy they did!
Posted By: B_F

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 06:14 PM

I'm rooting for the meteor to fall from the sky and hit Belicheat directly in the face.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 06:42 PM

Well that is very Christian of you.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: #Just Jay

In all fairness, he didn't say what size meteor or that he wanted it to kill him smirk

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:02 PM

The superbowl...an insignificant boring game that can only be made worse by including some teenybopper pop music person the halftime entertainment...

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:12 PM

If only you knew what that even meant, you might remember King David cried out for the heads of his enemies to be put under his boot.
Posted By: Aggs

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:16 PM

So hard to decide, I love both teams. But Brady is my all-time favorite player and I really want him to win #4. I live in Indy so everyone hates him (and me whenever I walk around wearing my Brady jersey laugh )

Once Brady retires, I will probably go back to hating New England like I used to before they drafted him. lol

That GB-SEA game was absolutely insane.
Posted By: Jade'sFire

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:17 PM

I honestly thought Green Bay won. I left to go get groceries when I thought there was about 3 minutes left in the game.

I don't really care this year, I am a Broncos fan smile

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggs

actually, for the first 2 hours and 48 minutes (of a 1-hour game) it was downright boring...the last 3 minutes of regulation, or 27 minutes of real time, had the insanity...

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: DD Regs

In all fairness, he didn't say what size meteor or that he wanted it to kill him smirk

and let's not forget it is an indoor stadium, so any meteor likely would have its velocity reduced by crashing through the roof, so likely it would cause just minor damage or bruising...and since the NFL has concussion protocols for any head injury, they could quickly evaluate if he is able to continue coaching!

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: B_F
I'm rooting for the meteor to fall from the sky and hit Belicheat directly in the face.

Is this about the formation stuff, deflating the balls or both?
Posted By: Stupendous Man

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:50 PM

I blame McCarthy and his super conservative decision making. The guy who slid on the interception should have kept going, but i bet a lot of people criticizing him also criticized Demarcus Lawrence in the Cowboys/Lions game for not just falling on the fumble. Also Bostick should have blocked and never even tried to catch that onside. CUT!!!

As for the Superbowl--on the one side you got Gronk and Tom Brady and Bellicheck. Just when i start to hate Bellicheck he goes and comes up with crazy formations and deflating balls and i love that grumbly troll all over again. Then you have SEA with Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman's trash talking, Marshawn Lynch scoring touchdowns while grabbbing his crotch and making NFL reporters cry, and Kam Chancellor hurdling mountains (All good things!).

it's close, but the tie-breaker is i'd rather see Bill Simmons sad than happy. SEA 24-13.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:56 PM

Don't forget having the towel boys relay messages from the opponents locker room, and the CBS TV in the bar that only NE coaches can see.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/19/new-england-patriots-deflategate-bill-belichick-tom-brady
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
I blame McCarthy and his super conservative decision making.

This.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 07:59 PM

if nothing else, Belichick should be fined for wearing those stupid hoodies with the sleeves cut off and banned from the sideline for a season...

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 08:15 PM

snip from SI article DD referenced above:

"Officially, this allows people in the parking lot to watch TV. Is it a coincidence that you can see that TV from the Patriots’ sideline, but not from the opposing sideline, making it easier for the Patriots to watch replays and decide whether to throw the challenge flag?"

Really? Does this clown know that they show replays on the jumbotron for everyone to see as well as having coaches up on the box looking at replays?

Just a load of [censored].

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 08:25 PM

To be fair, I think the SI writer was writing that "tongue in cheek".

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 08:38 PM

To be fair, I think the SI writer was writing that "tongue in cheek".

to be fair it is SI laugh
Posted By: Aggs

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

actually, for the first 2 hours and 48 minutes (of a 1-hour game) it was downright boring...the last 3 minutes of regulation, or 27 minutes of real time, had the insanity...

Sorry, I should have clarified. The last 5 minutes of that game were insane.

smirk
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 09:59 PM

Green Bay choked, pure and simple. And I don't care what New England is reputed to have done or not done: no way was Indy going to win that game. They were thoroughly outclassed.

I can't stand either Super Bowl team. I hope they both lose.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/20/15 10:17 PM

Well like the king said (Richard Petty) "if you ain't cheaten, you ain't tryin."

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 12:30 PM

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/new-engl...haters-gon-hate

My pick would be for Mike Foss to stop writing about the game which he has no respect for.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 01:37 PM

how does deflating the ball by 2 pounds make a difference? every game I've played, a deflated ball is worse, not better.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 01:45 PM

it is claimed to be easier to throw and catch. It has also been stated in other articles that the offense of each team gets a supply of balls to use on its downs so that each team uses a different set of balls and a different set for kicking.

It was also stated many years ago that the Raiders doctored some kicking balls with helium.

I do not know it it does make a difference or not (or if all balls were out of spec due to some type of malfunction, hey it is possible) but the writer of the story does not seem to care about the integrity of the game.

See citation for a laugh.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/football-helium-fly-farther/

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 01:45 PM

We are talking Football, not Futball.

A deflated ball in colder, wetter weather permits for better grip for the runner and thrower and catcher of the ball.

2 lbs would make a big difference in this case.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 01:47 PM

NFL Testing results show that 11 balls on the NE side of the field were under inflated. All 11 of the balls used on the Colts side were properly inflated.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl...-game/22087953/

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 01:49 PM

NFL Testing results show that 10 of the 11 ball on the NE side of the field were under inflated. All 11 of the balls used on the Colts side were properly inflated.

so there you have it another fine example of a conspiracy against the patriots shocked
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 02:33 PM

What can the NFL do? They certainly cannot put the Colts in the SB. So since this appears to be a pattern with Belichick (south park pronunciation) you either ban him or do another slap on the wrist. Too much money in football to ban him, so they lose another draft pick. Big deal! The Pats do more with free agency.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 02:39 PM

The loss of a draft pick is huge especially if it is a number 31 or 32 overall. smirk

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 03:10 PM

unless you're a colts fan, does anyone even care?
Posted By: DoS

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 03:11 PM

I think congress should get involved ....

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
unless you're a colts fan, does anyone even care?

Brady had mentioned in an interview in 2011 that he like using under inflated footballs (as a joke maybe?) don't they check these things (not just the pats)?

One would think it would be a regular part of the game.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 03:16 PM

They are inspected by the officials 2 hours before the game.
Posted By: Melissa S

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 03:23 PM

And don't the officials handle the ball throughout the whole game? You would think they would notice a difference.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Sox in '13
They are inspected by the officials 2 hours before the game.

and then handed right back to the team...

so the NFL will now have someone inspecting the balls at random points in the game, any team found having an inflation/deflation device on the sideline will be subject to fine...Belichick/Patriots will be fined some stupid amount of money that they will be happy to pay as they are going to the superbowl...Goodell will again look like a clueless buffoon...

in short, nothing really changes
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: DoS
I think congress should get involved ....

I agree. They'd be very good at inflating footballs with hot air.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 04:29 PM

I would not want to be the official that has to checks the teams' balls throughout the game.
Posted By: Bankster

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic
What can the NFL do? They certainly cannot put the Colts in the SB. So since this appears to be a pattern with Belichick (south park pronunciation) you either ban him or do another slap on the wrist. Too much money in football to ban him, so they lose another draft pick. Big deal! The Pats do more with free agency.

Why not? Why reward the Pats for cheating again? Make them stay home. Send the Colts to the Super Bowl. That would really show that Goodell's weren't deflated.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 04:53 PM

They could have a sudden death play off of all teams that were alleged to be cheated by the pats but that would include all teams

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 04:57 PM

I think Tom Brady should go to jail.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 05:21 PM

his right hand should be cut off

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 05:28 PM

make Tom play with Rodgers max inflated footballs and see how weak his grip really is.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 05:48 PM

Mike and Mike show reported it this morning -- Colts footballs rechecked and OK at halftime.

So it appears it wasn't a weather thing....

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 06:44 PM

From WEEI.com

According to a report from Pro Football Talk, the NFL reviewed its game officials’ actions Sunday and determined that they properly checked the footballs before the AFC championship game.

It was later determined that 11 of the 12 footballs the Patriots were using on offense were substantially deflated from the minimum accepted pressure of 12.5 pounds per square inch (PSI).

The Pro Football Talk report, which credits a league source, also indicated that the two-pound difference in PSI would not be obvious to an official handling the ball unless specifically looking for it.

The Colts reportedly alerted the officials to the issue during the first half, and the balls were tested at halftime and reinflated to the proper amount. It did not have a detrimental affect on Tom Brady and Co., as the Patriots outscored Indianapolis 28-0 in the second half en route to a 45-7 victory

How foolish. Besides breaking the rules, it wasn't even necessary to do. The Pats would have won using a bowling ball.

For the haters, it only reinforces the cheating aspect of their success over the last 14 years. For the Patriot lovers, many are disgusted by this idiotic move.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 07:12 PM

The league's cred is on the line because of this. They must do something.

QBs paying to have balls deflated or scuffed up has been a long standing problem.

Either have the rule or don't. They can't ignore.....

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
The league's cred is on the line because of this.

please...this league lost credibility years ago as they've continued to tweek rules to protect certain players but not others, inconsistency on rules (ground can't cause a fumble to a runner but it can to a pass), hands to the face, head, tackle with crown, blah blah blah...

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 07:57 PM

I agree with Sox, deflating the footballs did not result in a 38 point victory for the Patriots. While it may have provided some competitive advantage, it would not have been enough to contribute significantly to such a lopsided win. I believe that the league will probably take away a draft pick or 2, but I do not see the punishment going any further.

With that said, Go Seahawks! (Russell Wilson especially)

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 08:24 PM

this is likely just a publicity ploy by the NFL to try and generate interest in what will be a boring game...

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 08:58 PM

This really is just perfect for me. I get to hate on the Patriots, but if they win I wont mind as much because i like the image of Slick Willy Bellicheck coating his running backs shoes in flubber and throwing pocket sand in receivers faces. Plus, Goodells gonna look dumb again.

I thought i had used all my 2015 sports schaudenfreude up when Florida St and Alabama lost. But now it looks like 2015 is just gonna keep giving and be the best hatin' year ever. Just 12 months of Kobe bricking his way to 19 wins and A-Rod making the Yankees clubhouse awkward. I should put money on Duke losing in the first round!!
Posted By: noelekal

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 10:17 PM

I'm giving the whole thing a miss.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/21/15 10:23 PM

it sounds to me a lot of people were in on the deflated football thing

I see the only solution to be:

cut Brady's right hand off
brand the center's buttocks with an 'L' (that's where the football met Brady's hands)
sew sleeves back onto Belichick's hoodie (but ones that don't match)
poison Drew Bledsoe's vineyard
make Chris Christie hug Robert Kraft all creepy like

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Purple Pride
I agree with Sox, deflating the footballs did not result in a 38 point victory for the Patriots. While it may have provided some competitive advantage, it would not have been enough to contribute significantly to such a lopsided win. I believe that the league will probably take away a draft pick or 2, but I do not see the punishment going any further.

But it may be enough for the win against the Ravens

Does anyone believe that this is a one time on shot deal?

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 12:40 PM

But it may be enough for the win against the Ravens

Does anyone believe that this is a one time on shot deal?

Probably not the first time. It sounds like a common practice for all teams-Aaron Rodgers has said the prefers over inflated balls, Brad Johnson, QB for the Buccaneers for their Super Bowl win said he paid people to scuff up the balls to his specifications prior to that game.

I don't say that to defend what happened-the Patriots deserve the heat they get given their history. But lets not make it sound like this stuff doesn't happen elsewhere.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 01:56 PM

Quite honestly, if the defense is getting good pressure on the quarterback and the defensive backs and linebackers are covering the receivers well then it would not matter what they did to the footballs. Personally, while I do believe it is cheating to adjust the air pressure in the footballs, if the defense does its job and executes then it would not matter.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 04:37 PM

Either way almost nothing can or will be done. Not that I like the Pats. I am loving all of the jokes about Brady and his dainty weak little hands.

Football has become so over regulated. Why each team gets their own balls I don't know. The League should issue balls that meet certain conditions. If a QB cannot throw those balls, then that is his (or her in the case of Brady) problem.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 04:39 PM

Quite honestly, if the defense is getting good pressure on the quarterback and the defensive backs and linebackers are covering the receivers well then it would not matter what they did to the footballs. Personally, while I do believe it is cheating to adjust the air pressure in the footballs, if the defense does its job and executes then it would not matter.

Because Brady is an accurate passer for about 15 yards. There is always a spot that a QB can put the ball where his player will make the play. A perfect pass is indefensible. But also look at the weather conditions. Wet, cold weather. Hard balls are tough to throw and catch. They are also harder to hold on to when running. I am sure the Pats did this on purpose but I don't really care.

Until the NFL stops over litigating and creating millions of rules, football is unwatchable.

Case in point the Seahawks game..... if offensive PI was ever called in a game the Seahawks would not be in the SB.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 04:55 PM

The coach says he knows nothing about the balls. Suggests reporters ask Brady.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic
Case in point the Seahawks game..... if offensive PI was ever called in a game the Seahawks would not be in the SB even posses a winning record.

fixed

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 05:41 PM

Given the amount of contact they are allowing on the defensive side these day, it kind of evens the score. Let them fight for it.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 06:41 PM

from Belichicks press conference:

“I think we all know that quarterbacks, kickers, specialists have certain preferences on footballs. They know a lot more about it than I do. They’re a lot more sensitive to it than I am. I hear them comment on it from time to time, but I can tell and they will tell you that there is never any sympathy whatsoever from me on that subject. Zero. Tom’s personal preferences on his footballs is something he can talk about in much better detail and information than I can possibly provide."
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 08:41 PM

Sounds like they need to call in the Football Inflation Control and Enforcement Network, or FInCEN. wink

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 08:50 PM

From the press conference by Belichick it is clear that the blame should go to the "Ball Regulatory Agency development yutz" (BRADY)
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 09:44 PM

Spiking the ball deflated it?

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 09:50 PM

What was this I was just told!?!? The Seahawks lined up an extra man on the onside kick and no one noticed till now?

wowzers if true

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 10:06 PM

I find it hard to believe that the numerous TV analysts that are behind the scenes would have missed this...I can understand Joe and Troy not catching it...Troy probably can't count higher than 7...and Joe is so busy staring at Troy he doesn't even look at the field...

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 10:10 PM

This just in Romo just broke another of Aikmans Cowboy QB records. Romo just counted to 8 fortunately the season is over for the cowboys as it has been reported that Romo is seeking help for a migraine. laugh

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/22/15 10:15 PM

I am glad to hear that both coach and Brady did not notice the under-inflated balls. Since Brady has been handling the Pats footballs for the past 11 years it can only be said that they must have been under inflated for all those years.
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/23/15 04:57 PM

So tell me this.....the refs handle the balls every down. Are you saying that not a one of them noticed something different? If it was that much different, wouldn't they notice between the balls used by the 2 teams?

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/23/15 05:01 PM

QM, only would be noticed if they tried squeezing the ball. To just pick it up and set, no.

ed, Brady said in his press conference that he prefers balls that are at 12.5 PSI. So, obviously he would not ask for the balls to be deflated.
Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/23/15 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
So tell me this.....the refs handle the balls every down. Are you saying that not a one of them noticed something different? If it was that much different, wouldn't they notice between the balls used by the 2 teams?

I had this same question! My husband and I couldn't understand how the refs wouldn't know since they handle the balls between every play.

Will be interesting to see if there is any discipline issued against the Patriots.

I'm still just excited my Hawks are in the Super Bowl again! laugh I put in green and blue lightbulbs in my outside light fixtures last night. I told my husband that we'll put in red and yellow when his 49ers make it again.

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/23/15 05:26 PM

ed, Brady said in his press conference that he prefers balls that are at 12.5 PSI. So, obviously he would not ask for the balls to be deflated.

yeah, not like he would be truthful and say he prefers them at 10...because that would look like he was cheating or something...

Re: Superbowl picks? - 01/28/15 08:15 PM

Marshawn Lynch is a national treasure.

And the NFL/Goddell is horrible. Threatening a 500k fine. They dont fine guys even half that much when they purposely try to injure other players multiple times.