Southerners Check In Please

Posted By: Skittles

Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 01:50 PM

I'm looking at pictures of the storm that hit Georgia, Alabama, etc. Is everyone OK? We had a nasty storm last week (and still have the snow); however we're more prepared in Kentucky.
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 02:05 PM

Nothing but rain in Columbia, SC. But our branches in Northwest SC and Northern GA are closed until noon. My son in Cartersville GA sent some nice pictures of the snowman he built.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 02:24 PM

::waves hand::

A little soggy..well aLOT soggy...but otherwise okay! smile
Posted By: Stupendous Man

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 02:37 PM

Hey, i got a question for any of you guys further north who deal with the cold more often---how effective are snow chains or cables or what have you on ice? or is there a more effective product (short of different tires) that really helps with sliding.

i was thinking of getting some. it's only a day or two here each year that it's a problem (And it's normally ice, not snow) but those days are so bad, that if i can find something to make it manageable, i'd splurge and pay for it. Especially if it would last the rest of my life (or at least the rest of my cars life).
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 02:44 PM

When I lived in PA (for 30+) years and dealt with the snow, chains were very effective but rarely needed. Really, a good set of snow tires usually worked well but if you only need them once a year, kind of crazy to spend that kind of dough. Plus, snow chain and straps that perform similar duties have been developed even further in the time since I've used them. Do a 'net search (while you still can) and find out what works best and get a set.

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 02:46 PM

Here in South Central KY we rarely see chains. Like MB Guy stated, they are rarely needed so most don't fool with anything like that. I don't think many here have snow tires either. We just grin and bear it and hope the road department can salt/sand and assist.
Posted By: DoS

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 02:50 PM

some states don't allow snow chains for the damage they do to the roads. I have lived in MN/WI my whole life and I have never seen anyone use them.
Posted By: ahkcompliance

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 02:55 PM

No one uses chains around here in Iowa. Don't really see snow tires either. I think a just a good set of tires help out tremendously.

Ice is tricking. I hate driving on it. It is kind of unpredictable whiling driving on it.
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:00 PM

It's nice down here. A balmy 59 degrees and sunny.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:02 PM

Ditto the others-No chains cars up here. Good tires and cautious driving is the key. Don't hit the brakes.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:04 PM

I'm of the opinion that nothing helps you drive on the ice. I'll drive through snow but ice keeps me at home. Even if I can trust myself to drive on ice, I can't trust everyone else. Hope y'all get some sun soon! We're supposed to get some snow tomorrow and the dreaded mix on Saturday. I'm ready for winter to be DONE!!
Posted By: edAudit

no chains when they break they tear up the car, road other cars...

learn how to drive by practicing 'donuts" in an empty parking lot. It is also fun.
Posted By: thomasj

I've spent 47 winters in PA and have been driving in these conditions for 31 years. Nothing really helps on ice. Even if you were to find something that was effective, you stand a good chance of getting smashed into by someone else. Traditional chains actually may make ice worse as it reduces the contact of the tire to the pavement. I have not seen chains on a non-commercial vehicle (snow plow) since I was a kid. Some here still do studded tires which might work to some degree on ice, but they are only permitted from November to April I believe and would not be practical for a once or twice a year event.

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:13 PM

thanks for the comments you guys. I really thought they were more common up north, but looks like i was wrong.

Looks like i'll just stick to regular tires and leaving super early so i can be mostly alone on the road (my thought is that if i'm alone the risk is minimal. If there's no one else on the road, the worse case scenario is hitting the curb, and i dont go fast enough to go shooting into the countryside)
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:19 PM

Been here my whole life and have never seen chains or tire studs used. That might have something to do with them being illegal in Minnesota.

Most people find a good all season tire works well in the snow but ice is a whole 'nother beast. Nothing helps with that.

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:24 PM

There is a webpage for that

http://icyroadsafety.com/tips.shtml

number 2
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:33 PM

My truck is wrecked now because of #8. Stopped to help a lady on an icy hill, BAM! Now two cars with damage.

#2 is correct, nothing really works on ice.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:34 PM

I grew up in Chicago, and I remember people changing to snow tires in the winter in the 60s. But that died out once you could buy radial tires with all-season treads. Now that I live downstate, I've had to deal with ice more often, and there isn't anything for that. When you hit the breaks, your car becomes a sled.
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:49 PM

I went to college in Utah, and it was always very obvious which students were from Cali or Arizona when the first snow fell.

Bottom line, drive extremely cautiously, don't make sudden movements (either turning or braking), and watch out for other drivers.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 03:51 PM

I'm in Raleigh this week. Staying in the hotel today. The power finally came back on. Kid wonder said it snowed a little bit in Tucker but it has all melted now. Plenty of work to do......
Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 04:50 PM

I'm in central WA and live at a higher elevation than if we were in town. When there is an inch or two in town, we get a 10 to 12 inches. I have an all wheel drive vehicle with studded snow tires. It does incredibly well. I have complete confidence in the car's ability to travel through winter conditions. We've had a mild winter, but there was one day that it rained a little and froze then snowed on top. My car was a little squirrel-y, but it was on a weekend so we got home and stayed home.

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM
. My car was a little squirrel-y, but it was on a weekend so we got home and stayed home.

https://websquirrellolz.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/i-have-a-new-shiny-red-car-wait-what/

This explains it
Posted By: BotV#6

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
Hey, i got a question for any of you guys further north who deal with the cold more often---how effective are snow chains or cables or what have you on ice? or is there a more effective product (short of different tires) that really helps with sliding.

i was thinking of getting some. it's only a day or two here each year that it's a problem (And it's normally ice, not snow) but those days are so bad, that if i can find something to make it manageable, i'd splurge and pay for it. Especially if it would last the rest of my life (or at least the rest of my cars life).

Growing up, I remember my dad putting chains on and they are very effective. That said, with newer vehicles, I wouldn't recommend using them due to the risk of damaging the vehicle.
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 06:00 PM

Mount Rainier National Park Tire Chain Requirement:
All vehicles are required to carry tire chains when traveling in the park during the winter season (November 1 - May 1). This requirement applies to all vehicles (including four-wheel-drive), regardless of tire type or weather conditions.

The only reason why I purchased cables for the SUV.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 06:02 PM

Like Backstreets mentioned central SC (AKA Midlands) was just above freezing, and had a bunch of rain - the upstate/mountain areas got some snow.
Lucky for us - there's probably more salt in your lunchrooms that the SC DOT has saved up for the streets.

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 06:03 PM

A lot of mountain passes in CO used to have those requirements when I was a kid. I remember stopping on the side of the highway and my dad would have to chain up the truck to get up the pass.

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 06:09 PM

OK, what if i just make some kind of a metal tire or possibly a roller that i push in front of my car. Then i just heat it up red hot with a torch in the morning (in the process making my own tootsies nice and warm) and happily drive to work knowing i've outsmarted the ice.

Problem 100% solved with no unintended consequences!
Posted By: noelekal

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 06:29 PM

Sounds like a solution devised by a government agency to me.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 07:12 PM

spent close to 6 hours driving south through the rain yesterday...oh, joy

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
spent close to 6 hours driving south through the rain yesterday...oh, joy

Good thing you did not start in Key West laugh
Posted By: PrimeTime

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 07:34 PM

I'm from Massachusetts and we're at I believe over 90 inches of snow this winter alone and I have never seen a car with snow chains/cables in my life. I'd say the tires are probably more effective, and don't damage your vehicle.

That being said, I'd also venture to assume that our road crews are better equipped to clear and prep the roads as well, so that might be a factor. There's some slippage from time to time, but that just keeps you alert on your drive home after a long day!

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 07:43 PM

Just FYI, I did a quick search and there are plenty of different types of chains and cables out there that are guaranteed not to break under normal usage, so if you're going to get a set just do your homework and don't chintz out on the cost if you're not going to invest in a good set of snow tires. They will come in handy for emergencies.

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: edAudit

learn how to drive by practicing 'donuts" in an empty parking lot. It is also fun.

We did this as teenagers. We'd go to a big empty lot, like a church lot, and learn how to steer out of a skid. Better than having your rear end swing around on the interstate, and having to think, "now which way do I turn the wheel?"
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Originally Posted By: edAudit

We did this as teenagers. We'd go to a big empty lot, like a church lot, and learn how to steer out of a skid. Better than having your rear end swing around on the interstate, and having to think, "now which way do I turn the wheel?"

If there wasn't too much snow, we'd often go out on the frozen lakes and "practice" our donuts.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 08:53 PM

I rarely engage the 4 wheel drive in my truck unless there is a possibility of getting stuck. I get a little sideways sometimes but it keeps me in practice of steering out of a skid. I hit black ice a few months ago and had the back end of the truck jump out nearly 90 degrees to the left doing about 45 mph. When I corrected it went 90 the other way and finally I reeled it back in.

The donuts on the ice reminds me of a picture that someone posted on facebook from my hometown. When I was about 10 years old, the temperature dropped to below zero for a couple of weeks. The river was frozen over and a couple of guys decided to drive up the frozen river to a town about 10 miles away. After they drove back, one decided to do some donuts on the ice where the river passed through the main part of our town. Apparently it was more than the ice could take and the front end of the van broke through. It sat there for several weeks until someone was able to drag it out. It's one of those memories that never seems to fade - seeing that van stuck in the ice.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
If there wasn't too much snow, we'd often go out on the frozen lakes and "practice" our donuts.

Just to beat Peepers to the punch:

mmmm... donuts

laugh

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: thomasj
I hit black ice a few months ago

my one and only time hitting this my car spun completely around at least 3 1/2 times, and I ended up on the shoulder facing the wrong way, just as an 18-wheeler came flying over the bridge...2 seconds sooner and I was crushed.

and for those who remember the old Speed Racer cartoons...yes, my facial expression and noises I was making were 100% similar to what Speed did every time the Mach-5 went into a spin...

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 10:12 PM

I can't imagine how scary that was for you Happy. And yes, I remember Speed Racer. My younger brother loved it when we were kids.
Posted By: ahkcompliance

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 10:18 PM

A few years ago, I was heading home after it had snowed that day and when I got off the interstate I did a 360 turn-a-round all while on the phone. I did not go off in the ditch or anything. I literally spun around and off I went.

I know I should have not been on the phone but I was impressed that I was able to still talk and keep it on the road!

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Skittles
I can't imagine how scary that was for you Happy. And yes, I remember Speed Racer. My younger brother loved it when we were kids.

it really wasn't scary until the 18-wheeler came barreling by...
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/26/15 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sox in '13
Good tires and cautious driving is the key. Don't hit the brakes.

exactly, the car in front of you will stop your momentum

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 03:28 PM

or a bridge abatement

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
thanks for the comments you guys. I really thought they were more common up north, but looks like i was wrong.

Looks like i'll just stick to regular tires and leaving super early so i can be mostly alone on the road (my thought is that if i'm alone the risk is minimal. If there's no one else on the road, the worse case scenario is hitting the curb, and i dont go fast enough to go shooting into the countryside)

SM, check out this quick and easy solution check out www.zipgripgo.com
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 04:00 PM

I am not sure we are going to survive in Texas. Very cold here....
Posted By: SociallyInept

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 04:07 PM

Checking in from Cullman, Alabama. We are about an hour north of Birmingham. We had between 8, and 12 inches of snow. The city doesn't have any way of clearing the roads, so we closed Wednesday at 1, and just opened back up this morning.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 08:04 PM

I know you southern folk aren't used to the snow and cold so hopefully it warms up soon for you. We have had at least 13 days straight below zero and truthfully I might be wrong with that number because I lost count, and lots of snow. The other day the air temp was -20 with a wind chill of -36. Just don't ever remember a winter this bad in a very long time!
Stay Warm
Posted By: Happy Drugs

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 10:23 PM

I know everyone up North gets a kick out of how pathetic we become here in Texas when the temperature drop to 30 or more for a few days and we have to drive in some ice or snow! We admit it we don't get it, so we don't know what to do with it when we do get it! Schools are shut down, business close early when we have just see snow falling! It's serious for us! Well maybe I exaggerate on the snow flakes! I think you get my gist of things!

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 10:32 PM

We've got 2 inches on the ground. All the branches are closed but of course corporate had to stay open. Not looking forward to my normally 35 minute commute taking well over an hour. Apparently the roads are pretty bad. Northerners don't understand how truly unprepared we are for snow/ice. Oh well. Round 2 of snow/ice tomorrow. Gonna hibernate until Monday!!
Posted By: Happy Drugs

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 10:48 PM

Be safe going home Okie!

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 02/27/15 10:50 PM

Thanks HD. I plan on taking back roads. They'll be slick but should be devoid of idiots which is the most dangerous part of driving in winter weather!
laugh
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 03/02/15 05:49 PM

Are you referring to Happy?

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 03/02/15 05:56 PM

No way!! The idiots are the ones driving either 75 or 5 MPH on solid ice. The commute was interesting to say the least. However the roads were mostly deserted after I got out of town so that was nice.
And in true OK weather fashion, tomorrow's forecast high is 60. Then more "mix" on Wednesday with a high of 34!

Come on spring!!!
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 03/02/15 06:26 PM

My sister had a flight with a layover in Dallas over the weekend. Apparently, there was about an inch of snow on the ground and everything was cancelled because the airport didn't have any ice removal equipment.

Re: Southerners Check In Please - 03/02/15 07:16 PM

A Canadian couple we know was forced to extend their month long vacation in Puerto Vallarta by two days due to flight cancellations. They're having a hard time getting any sympathy on facebook.