Harry's

Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Harry's - 03/25/15 06:32 PM

Anyone have any experience with Harry's razors https://www.harrys.com/? Replacement cartridges for the Gillette Fusion are just crazy expensive.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Harry's - 03/25/15 07:48 PM

I use Dollar Shave Club and have been very happy. I get 4 of the executive level blades every other month and it costs me $9 per order.

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/
Posted By: bOaty

Re: Harry's - 03/25/15 08:19 PM

I do the dollar shave club as well. Does a great job on my beard and no razor burn.

Re: Harry's - 03/25/15 08:23 PM

I was wondering about my mankini area wink.

I'm reluctant to sign up for anything that ships automatically...I have commitment issues. I had forgotten about Dollar Shave Club and might give them a try.
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Harry's - 03/25/15 08:37 PM

I have not hread of Harry's but my dad ran out of blades for his Gillette and decided he was not going to pay the 17 bucks for more and grabbed a bag of Bic disposables and proceeded to shred his face. I can not recall the last time I saw so many razor cuts and gashes on one persons face.

I asked why he kept going after the 1st couple cuts and he said he was mad by then and did not want to admit he wasted money on the cheap razors. O_o

OK now we know why we pay for the good stuff. Though I think the dollar shave club is the way to go and will suggest it to him.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Harry's - 03/25/15 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By Purple Pride
I use Dollar Shave Club and have been very happy. I get 4 of the executive level blades every other month and it costs me $9 per order.

OK, I actually just signed up for this exact same program.
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Harry's - 03/25/15 09:13 PM

I hated $Shave Club. I like the fact that the razors were dirt cheap, but as the adage goes... You get what you pay for. I returned to Gillette and haven't had a knick or razor-burn yet.

This is one area of life where you shouldn't go cheap.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 01:10 PM

I saw an informercial with the guy from PawnStars promoting a Single Blade, that looked really good.

Also, I started a thread a month or two ago about dollar shave that had some other good options in it.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 01:21 PM

I have been happy with DSC.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 01:44 PM

Because you're cheap
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 01:45 PM

Can't argue with Turd.
Posted By: noelekal

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 01:46 PM

Being stuck in the past, I punted on Gillette Fusion blades and their exorbitant and ever-increasing cost with diminishing quality a few years back and again took up with the double-edge razors with which I began a shaving career.

I currently order double-edge blades from internet suppliers and use them in a 1934 vintage Gillette Aristocrat razor with a shaving brush. Makes one feel like Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, or Humphrey Bogart. I loathe the chore of shaving but it all makes it kinda fun.

There are forums dedicated to all this.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By Norman Paperman

I hated $Shave Club. I like the fact that the razors were dirt cheap, but as the adage goes... You get what you pay for. I returned to Gillette and haven't had a knick or razor-burn yet.

This is one area of life where you shouldn't go cheap.

Ever since I went to dry shaving (no shaving cream) I have not had a nick or cut when shaving. I use baby oil as an aftershave and my shaves have never been closer or less painful. I have been happy with the quality of the blades from DSC but have given consideration to trying the safety blade.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 01:57 PM

How do you Dry Shave? It would rip my face off!
Posted By: BSA_DCVA

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 02:07 PM

I have been using razors from Harry's. They're not bad. I started with their Truman set. The blades last as long as those from Gillette. I'm not fond of their shave gel though. I only wish the Harry's blades had the precision blade like the Gillette Fusion blades have.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 02:08 PM

I've read of both dry shaving and cold water shaving and given each method a try but neither "cuts it" for me.

The safety razor and double-edge blade isn't a bad way to go. New razor blades from a myriad of brands are available from many sources and blades can be shipped right to your home for anywhere from $10 per hundred to about $35 per hundred (if you have more discriminating tastes). I use a blade a week so a hundred blades lasts a couple of years.

A really inexpensive way to get a really good shave unless it becomes a hobby and you find yourself haunting antique malls and Ebay, attempting to build a collection of one of each example of 20th century Gillette safety razor models.

Hint: the older Gillette models render superior, more comfortable shaves to either their newer ones or the modern companies' offerings. Especially the pre-WWII Gillette open-comb models.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 02:23 PM

I shave in the shower and use either Coconut Oil or Argan Oil and maybe a little shave gel or conditioner that works. I had a Fusion but got tired of the ridiculous prices for blades.

Almost forgot, how do you dry shave? Eek.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 03:55 PM

Dry shave for me is a slow dangerous event. If I go to fast I get razor burn and cuts. I prefer using my electric Braun if going dry. But neither are as close a shave as my Gillette when wet.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 04:36 PM

Bunch of sissy's!

Where is Pale? Guys, stop collecting vintage razors. It's a chore, not a hobby.

Pull out your bayonet and shave like your grandfather did.

The wussification of the American man continues.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 05:12 PM

Hah ... My grandfather began shaving in about 1906 and even he adopted the safety razor over the straight razor.

There's no wussification involved in shaving with a Gillette Single Ring safety razor made in 1909. You gotta be tough ... and attentive.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 06:25 PM

Dry shaving makes my face sting hours afterwards. I prefer shaving in the shower and using a shaving gel.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 06:30 PM

Why don't y'all just go for the wax? laugh Problem solved.
Posted By: #ONENANA

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 06:36 PM

Or you can try Nair! It's not just for short shorts anymore!
Posted By: Ric30

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 06:46 PM

Anyone try the No-No? I HATE shaving and am lazy so if I can find something that would be quick to do the job well...

I cannot wait until I retire and can let it go ZZ Top style.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 06:51 PM

The guy from ZZ Top who does not have a beard is named Frank Beard. crazy

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 07:17 PM

ZZ top taught me that every gal loves a sharp dressed man. And the video guy was clean shaven with a Gillette Fusion I believe. ^_-

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By MB Guy
I shave in the shower and use either Coconut Oil or Argan Oil and maybe a little shave gel or conditioner that works. I had a Fusion but got tired of the ridiculous prices for blades.

Almost forgot, how do you dry shave? Eek.

For both you and DD: I use a blade and water. Dry shaving is just no shaving cream as it can damage your skin. The method I followed when I began was to use baby oil in place of shaving cream for 5 shaves. After that just the blade and water. I shave at the sink after my shower so my face is moist. The first couple of times it burned, but as I have done it more I find my face feels better than it did when I used shaving cream. The baby oil as after shave might be helping as well.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 08:10 PM

Face smooth as a baby's butt. whistle

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 08:20 PM

Now if only I wouldn't get 5 o'clock shadow at 10 AM. smirk

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 08:43 PM

Conditioner works wonders as well.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 08:54 PM

Is the use of shaving creams/soaps made for the purpose somehow inferior for the purpose of shaving and detrimental to the skin?

I'm trying to justify the use of these substitutions in my mind.

Maybe the shave products dry the skin or perhaps these other methods provide a superior shave. Actual shaving products have worked well for me.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 08:56 PM

Classicshaving.com is a great place to get safety razors and blades. I recently bought a nice badger hair brush and some Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream (this stuff is sinfully nice to use). I also bought some shaving soap that is also very nice and makes shaving much more pleasant.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 09:07 PM

I've found that mild oil-based products offer me the closest and nick-and-drama free shave, no matter the shaving instrument.

Argan or coconut oils work great for me.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 09:18 PM

Here is the article that started me on the path to getting rid of shaving cream:

https://tucker.liberty.me/2014/07/16/shaving_cream/

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 09:24 PM

I've found that slapping my face with fresh lavender and mint leaves prior to shaving really prepares the skin to receive the razor. Additionally, I always have a pure-bred Persian cat observe while listening to soft acoustic guitar in the background. The cat just makes me feel more comfortable, which in turn, helps relax the face.

And I always take a chewable Flintstone vitamin afterwards.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By bOaty
Conditioner works wonders as well.

Conditioner in the shower is good for lots of things.

Re: Harry's - 03/26/15 11:17 PM

Why yes, it is!!

You'd like it even more if you had hair. grin
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 11:31 AM

I have a sad story to tell you
It may hurt your feelings a bit
Last night as I walked into my bathroom
I stepped in a big pile of...
Shaving cream, be nice and clean
Shave every day and you'll always look keen

I think I'll break off with my girlfriend
Her antics are queer, I'll admit
Each time I say, "Darling, I love you"
She tells me that I'm full of...

Our baby fell out of the window
You'd think that her head would be split
But good luck was with her that morning
She fell in a barrel of...

My old lady died in a bathtub
She died from a terrible fit
In order to fulfill her wishes
She was buried in six feet of...

When I was in France with the army
One day I looked inside my kit
I thought I would find me a sandwich
But the darn thing was loaded with...

And now folks my story is ended
I think it is time I should quit
And if anyone of you feel offended
Push your head in a bucket of...

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/b/benny_bell/shaving_cream.html

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 02:37 PM

I remember that one.

Not being as ancient as you are Ed, I only remember it from it being played on the "Dr. Demento Show" on KNUS Dallas in the 1970s.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 02:48 PM

My dad would sing it prior to mom making him shave he may have gotten is from the show smirk

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 03:03 PM

Why yes, it is!!

You'd like it even more if you had hair. grin

And speaking of hair, head shaving requires a minimum of 4 blades or more. Never try it with a single or double blade...one can end up looking like one shaved with a cheese grater.

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 03:14 PM

Ow. frown

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 04:09 PM

Yeah.

I shaved my head while at a conference in Chicago and really nicked it pretty bad. So bad I wrapped toilet paper around my head like a turban. I also put a hand towel on the pillow before going to bed.

Hand towel didn't stay in place, head bled during the night, bloody pillow case the next morning. Thankfully I was checking out that morning. The maid service probably checked under the bed for a body that morning.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By 'Lil Freak!
The maid service probably checked under the bed for a body that morning.

As should be standard practice when you check out of a hotel room. wink laugh

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 05:14 PM

I'm hoping that you removed the turban before your appearance in the hotel lobby that morning! grin
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 06:18 PM

Quote:
The baby oil as after shave might be helping as well.

MB beat me to it...but I was going to suggest you try coconut oil in place of the baby oil...that stuff is AWESOME! smile
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 06:40 PM

I'm hoping that you removed the turban before your appearance in the hotel lobby that morning! grin

That seems a little racist...

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 07:03 PM

Seriously?

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 07:35 PM

Well sure because anyone wearing a toilet paper turban is sure to be one of those people.

smirk
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 08:08 PM

I was being sarcastic. Guess I should have included a emoticon.

Re: Harry's - 03/27/15 10:53 PM

wink