Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL

Posted By: HappyGilmore

Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/29/15 06:43 PM

Guess Peyton will be driving an Equus next year instead of a Buick

Quote:
DETROIT (AP) — The National Football League is getting a new official automotive sponsor: Hyundai.

The Korean automaker announced the sponsorship deal Monday, replacing General Motors Co. The deal gives Hyundai the ability to use NFL trademarks in its marketing and access to big events year-round such as the Super Bowl, playoffs and the widely watched draft of college players.

Hyundai Motor Co. wouldn't disclose how much it's paying, but it's likely close to what GM spent, about $25 million per year.

"There is no better venue to reach consumers," Hyundai Motor America CEO Dave Zuchowski said in a statement.

The automaker said the deal gives it a chance to show its products to the NFL's 188 million fans. Hyundai will launch its sponsorship during NFL kickoff activities on Sept. 10 .

General Motors' GMC brand had been an official NFL sponsor, but the company confirmed that it has decided not to renew the deal.

''We value our relationship with the NFL and its fans, but have decided to focus our sponsorship resources in other areas in the future," GM said in a statement.
Posted By: SeekingKnowledge

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/29/15 08:11 PM

Been driving Hyundais for years, great reliable cars!
Posted By: noelekal

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/29/15 08:19 PM

Based solely on reviews and seeing the cars on the street, it would appear that Hyundai has really "upped their game" since the early days of the brand's importation.

Don't blame GM for dropping the NFL sponsorship as the NFL hasn't "upped their game." At least I won't be one who sees Hyundai's efforts to showcase it's products in association with the NFL for I'm no fan.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/29/15 08:31 PM

My wife drives a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. We really like it. It's very roomy and comfortable, and gets really good gas mileage. Huge trunk, too. We've had a couple electronic glitches that required a trip to the dealer. But overall it's been a good car.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/29/15 08:49 PM

I've never owned a Hyundai but I read a lot of car reviews and publications and overall they are good cars. As noelekal mentions, a more recent Hyundai (along with sister brand Kia) is leaps and bounds above what they were when they were still new to the U.S. market.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/29/15 09:31 PM

Beats the 1998 (or so) Hyundai Sonota that a cousin bought new that had an engine problem within weeks of purchase. They took it back to the dealership who couldn't agree that anything was wrong until the engine threw a rod through the side of the crankcase right there in the service bay.

The cousin and his wife did receive a proper warranty adjustment.

I don't keep up with such things. So, is Kia kin to Hyundai? Are they built by the same company?

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/29/15 09:44 PM

I believe Hyundai owns part of Kia and they share a certain amount of design and components.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/29/15 10:10 PM

I rented a Hyundai Sonata last winter and it was a rental car, pure and simple. I'd consider a Genesis or an Equus, though.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 12:45 PM

my Dad is on his 2nd Azera, and I have to say, the new one is much nicer than the old one...very comfortable, roomy, power everything...
Posted By: Bankster

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 12:58 PM

I know that the NFL cares only about the mighty dollar, but it just seems wrong on some level that they wouldn't partner with an American automaker.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 01:00 PM

My brother in law is an engineer for Honda America. He said that Hyundai is a force to be recon with. Said they have a tremendous learning curve and are every bit the car that Honda is.

He said that KIA too is make great inroads on quality.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By GoBucs
I know that the NFL cares only about the mighty dollar, but it just seems wrong on some level that they wouldn't partner with an American automaker.

I used to think that too, but then when you look at a Ford and see a large percentage of parts were sourced overseas and assembled in Mexico, and then a foreign maker with similar parts procurement but assembled here, who is really the American in the bunch anymore?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 01:29 PM

Camry

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/buyers-guide/american-car-truck-article-1.2275107
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 01:43 PM

My first Tiburan ran for over 250,000 miles and my second is over 120K and handles like anew car. Wife has it now so not sure how long it will last as maintenance is a evil word to her.
Posted By: DoS

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 02:28 PM

they don't make a pick-up though ....

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 02:37 PM

Bummer Wolfy! Maintenance is so cheap when compared with car payments or repair bills due to neglect.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By #Just Jay

I used to think that too, but then when you look at a Ford and see a large percentage of parts were sourced overseas and assembled in Mexico, and then a foreign maker with similar parts procurement but assembled here, who is really the American in the bunch anymore?

I know. We're losing our identity. Our Fords are from Mexico, our Budweiser is from South Africa, our blue jeans are from China, our game show hosts all have foreign accents, and now our NFL stars are going to be squeezing into hyundais.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 02:47 PM

For myself, I always wanted to drive a '50s Packard from Detroit.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 02:53 PM

umm, our Budweiser is brewed and bottled in USA...
Posted By: Hobbes

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By noelekal

The Packard brothers were from my hometown, and built cars there before they moved to Detroit. A bunch of things in town are named after them. There's a small museum in town, and every summer Packard owners from all over converge and have a car show. Some of those old ones are tanks, but the Caribbeans from the 50's are nice.

Back to Hyundai, I don't know what their high-end car is. What car will the Super Bowl MVP receive?
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 03:26 PM

Who let Ward Cleaver in here?

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 03:27 PM

Hyundai Equus is their top car, but the Genesis is their premium middle offering. Nice cars.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
umm, our Budweiser is brewed and bottled in USA...

Yeap, inside 270 in Worthington Ohio is one brewery.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 03:39 PM

Back to Hyundai, I don't know what their high-end car is. What car will the Super Bowl MVP receive?

Enough money to buy whatever car he wants. smirk laugh

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By CompliantOkie

Inflation gauge

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 04:23 PM

Anheuser-Busch was bought-out by inBev years ago. I think it's a South African company, but not sure exactly.

I don't think Americans will ever picture 'High-end' and 'Hyundai' together.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 04:31 PM

InBev is Belgium based...but they still make Budweiser in USA...InBev also bought the largest beer manufacturer in Brasil, where their CEO is from

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By CompliantOkie

From above:

Originally Posted By MB Guy
Hyundai Equus is their top car, but the Genesis is their premium middle offering. Nice cars.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 04:42 PM

InBev is Belgium based...but they still make Budweiser in USA...InBev also bought the largest beer manufacturer in Brasil, where their CEO is from

So South African they are laugh

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By TB 12

Who let Ward Cleaver in here?

https://www.google.com/search?q=1950s+pa...280&bih=896
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 06:11 PM

Anheuser-Busch was bought-out by inBev years ago. I think it's a South African company, but not sure exactly.

I don't think Americans will ever picture 'High-end' and 'Hyundai' together.

I agree, they need to make up a premium brand like Accura or Infinity and re-badge a few of there higher end cars charge an extra 10 grand and they will be fine.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 06:17 PM

Budweiser = High end?

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By edAudit
Budweiser = High end?

I remember my days working at the grocery store.

On the weekends, the night started with "High End", Bud, Coors.
When they would come back later, hurting for some cash, they dropped to the Old Milwaukee, Miller
Then when they were really scrapping, they dropped to the Milwaukee Best, Schlitz

laugh

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 06:33 PM

When we were getting tight on cash in college, we grabbed the National Bohemian, ugh.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 06:35 PM

When we were getting tight on cash in college, we convinced someone else to have a party an invite us.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By edAudit

So South African they are laugh

So the editors agree that an American icon is now foreign-owned. Thanks for the Wikipedia update.

The next thing you know, our President will be born in a foreign country (not a political statement).

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 06:56 PM

http://www.ab-inbev.com/about/country-information.html

no South Africa or other countries in Africa (that in itself is strange)

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 06:57 PM

The next thing you know, our President will be born in a foreign country (not a political statement).

Mr. Cruz has not even won a primary yet but if you insist.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 06/30/15 07:44 PM

If the NFL were to focus on American-made as someone mentioned earlier, it looks like the Toyota Camry is the most American-made car.
Posted By: Pup

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 07/01/15 04:14 PM

I just traded away my Hyundai Veloster, not because I didn't like it. I loved it!! Almost 40 mpg, sporty (not fast, but sporty), fully loaded, super comfortable on trips. I had to let it go mostly because my back really couldn't handle the in and out of a vehicle that low to the ground and also because Ethan is getting a little big to be crawling across the back seat.

Went to a new Nissan Rogue.

Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL - 07/01/15 04:42 PM

Hey Pup. You could easily get in and out of a Packard.

Of course parts and service you could not get.