plants are people too!

Posted By: DoS

plants are people too! - 08/07/15 06:18 PM

here ya go ... better than politics!

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fiel...-makes-the-case

“Providing rights to plants is a way to prevent our extinction,”
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 06:40 PM

I really like the Holocarpha macradenia (also known as the Santa Cruz tarplant).

I feel that the Holocarpha macradenia isn't too flashy, but stands out among other plants. I like that it looks conservative. I value that in a plant. Some plants just seem to be all flash and no plan for growth. cool

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 06:50 PM

Now, I know a lot of you might prefer the Angel's Trumpet, but I don't think it's a plant that belongs in the garden. Sure, it may be appealing early in the season, but would it really be a good choice for leading your garden? The planting instructions seem to be filled with key-words and hashtags. I like the idea of the Angel's Trumpet, but just can't foresee it being in the garden.

I'd be a little nervous about what it might do.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 06:54 PM

does this mean Deek is a murderer?

laugh
laugh

laugh

laugh

laugh laugh
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 07:00 PM

I'm not much for small flowers. I'd prefer a Bush.

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By MyBrainHurts
I'm not much for small flowers. I'd prefer a Bush.

I think you are speaking of the native Floridian Erythrina herbacea. While it is technically a shrub, most refer to it as a Bush.

I can't say I've spent a lot of time researching the Erythrina herbacea, but I agree that it's presence and performance in Florida is a plus. The Calandiva Rubio, on the other hand is a young plant with little experience in the garden. It's a house plant and really needs some time in the sunlight before it can glorify the garden.
Posted By: YosemiteSamIAm

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 07:45 PM

I personally do not care for the Christabellus Christieous...requires WAY too much fertilizer!
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 07:55 PM

Good luck with finding a plant with Jindal, Fiorina, or Kasich in their name.

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 08:17 PM

Do you mean the...

North Korean Rhododendron (Jindal)

Greenbo offers a product called the Fiorina flowers pillow. I hadn't heard of the product until just yesterday, but it seems like it really stood out in the crowd of other garden items. It must have some kind of background in technology to be able to produce such a fine product. Would be interesting to see if the Fiorina flower pillow could do great things for the garden.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 08:42 PM

I found the Trumpet flower rather prickly and unpleasant. It really didn't seem to go well with the rest of the garden. Even though it was the center of attention, I am hoping it is quickly and quietly removed from the garden collection.
Posted By: noelekal

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 08:47 PM

The trumpet vine we have around here is very invasive. It has pretty red flowers which attract hummingbirds. The flowers aren't worth the bother though because trumpet vine is prone to take over in mere weeks, competing with other plants in gardens and flower beds for nutrients and space. It's real persistent though and hard to grub out once it takes hold. Left unchecked, it can spoil a garden.

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 09:06 PM

I'd just hate to see the Angel's Trumpet (turns out it's actually a tree) detract from the other plants in the garden. I like the soil the tree is planted in and think its blooms look appealing, but I agree that it's not something that is going to be around long. You wouldn't want that tree to detract from the more serious plants and end up regretting it when the Acantholimon Hilariae ends up taking over.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 09:18 PM

could be that some gardeners are Biding time and that the Acantholimon Hilariae may not even get planted in the garden
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: plants are people too! - 08/07/15 09:34 PM

Norman, I'll give you a break because it get hot in Terlingua and the plants have a hard time surviving in that dry, hot place. But if the political discussions continue, you'll find yourself weed eaten.