Vegetarianism

Posted By: YosemiteSamIAm

Vegetarianism - 08/10/15 08:21 PM

Have you ever met a truly healthy vegetarian? Or even an octogenarian vegetarian?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/10/15 08:29 PM

no

but I try to avoid questions about peopled food preference.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/10/15 08:36 PM

Just got back from vacation. Was in one restaurant (Arizona) and they had a sign.

"Vegetarian in Native American word meaning Lousy Hunter."
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/10/15 08:39 PM

My friend said she was not vegan because she loves animals she just hates plants. ^_-

Oh and under doctors orders she had to add "some" meat back into her diet as she was not getting enough iron, among other things, from her all plant diet. But she does not really care for it.
Posted By: SeekingKnowledge

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/10/15 08:39 PM

Yes, absolutely. I am not vegetarian myself, but my wife's best friend is. She has been vegetarian for pretty much her entire life and is "truly healthy". She's probably the least vocal vegetarian I've known. In other words, she doesn't beat you over the head with it. She is quite active (running, biking, etc.) and physically fit but not to an extreme extent. She gets a lot of protein in her diet through black beans. Some of her recipes are pretty amazing! Whether she lives long enough to be 80 has yet to be determined.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/10/15 08:55 PM

Let there "Beano" doubt about it then, we have a least one in the affirmative!
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 02:43 PM

protein and iron deficiency are 2 of the biggest issues facing anyone living a true vegan existence...vitamins and supplements can only do so much...I have a friend that went vegan because she saw a video on how they prepare meat in slaughterhouses...she is a shoe and purse freak, so I guess she chose not to correlate these same animals used for meat are also used for leather...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 02:53 PM

You should definitely chose to enlighten her on the subject, and then see if she ends up going barefoot and using a burlap sack for a purse...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 03:07 PM

from my research (not scientific but limited to google searches) there appears to be a know fact that 1)vegans live less due to lack of missing nutrients 2) vegans live longer due to lower cancer and heart disease and 3) vegans live about the same.

it is also noted that if hit by a bus doing 65 it would matter little if you are a vegan or not.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By edAudit

it is also noted that if hit by a bus doing 65 it would matter little if you are a vegan or not.

well, not to quibble, but if you were vegan, you would tend to have less body mass so cleanup would be easier/less when hit by said bus...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 05:50 PM

I heard vegans are like spider-man they could dodge the bus!!
Posted By: swiggles

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 05:59 PM

My niece, who is a walking encyclopedia of health and nutrition facts was a vegetarian (not a vegan) for many years. But she discovered through her constant un-ending research that consuming a vegetarian or vegan diet is NOT a good idea for many people. Now she eats fatty meats, bone broth, platefuls of runny fried eggs, etc, along with her vegies. And is the same weight as always (small woman) but says she feels much better. Her key to good health is that she only consumes whole foods (absolutely NOTHING processed) and tries to choose organic.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 06:15 PM

Why do people feel compelled to research and try this extreme and try that extreme when common sense should tell us that it all goes back to a balanced diet?

I just don't get it.

Sounds like your niece is now eating a paleo diet.
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 06:21 PM

Why? Because everyone's in search of the magic bullet that will make all of their health problems go away, and it can't be as simple as a balanced diet. smile

All I know is that being vegan increases the amount of time you spend talking about being vegan by an infinite amount, and increases the chances of your friends punching you in the face and moving on.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 07:24 PM

Or serving them bacon and watching what happens to their face! laugh!!
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By Matt_B
Why? Because everyone's in search of the magic bullet that will make all of their health problems go away, and it can't be as simple as a balanced diet. smile

Just this afternoon, a co-worker asked me how I lost weight. I said I watch how much I eat and I run a lot. I could tell by her face that I didn't give her the answer she was looking for.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By MyBrainHurts

Just this afternoon, a co-worker asked me how I lost weight. I said I watch how much I eat and I run a lot. I could tell by her face that I didn't give her the answer she was looking for.

Had you said "OMG I totes used this Omega12 Blocker Pill and all the fat just drained out of my ears!" instead, she would've asked where you bought it next. laugh
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 08:33 PM

Yes. I have a good friend who is a vegetarian and in great health/shape. Her marathon PR is currently 3:03 and she's going for sub 3 hours.

That said, I couldn't do it. I agree with the comments regarding a healthy balanced diet filled with whole foods staying away from the processed stuff. That said...I refuse to give up cupcakes. smile

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 08:38 PM

You could make your own cupcakes so they would not be processed.
Posted By: QCL

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 08:41 PM

All I know is that being vegan increases the amount of time you spend talking about being vegan by an infinite amount, and increases the chances of your friends punching you in the face and moving on.

Why did I have to take a drink of my water while reading this?
laugh

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 10:01 PM

You discovered the secret QCL! If you laugh whilst eating/drinking, you'll never be able to consume ANY calories! Guaranteed to lose weight.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/11/15 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By RR Joker
Or serving them bacon and watching what happens to their face! laugh!!

This sounds practical and just. smile

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 01:29 PM

change "vegan" to "crossfit" and it slips in perfectly...

and heaven forbid if they do crossfit and are vegan...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 02:01 PM

Then they trip themselves up trying to decide which to boast about first!
Posted By: noelekal

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 02:13 PM

Funny stuff posted here!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore

change "vegan" to "crossfit" and it slips in perfectly...

and heaven forbid if they do crossfit and are vegan...

No no no silly...crossfitters are paleo crazy
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 02:58 PM

I could easily eat Paleo but Paleo-ists are almost as annoying at Vegans.

My 12-yr old niece is vegetarian. She saw her mom shaping hamburger patties a couple years ago and hasn't eaten meat since. She was also gluten-free for a while but has given up on that. I assume she's happy with her food choices but she's just a kid.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 03:08 PM

Why would one be gluten-free if it was not due to a medical condition?
Posted By: DoS

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
She saw her mom shaping hamburger patties a couple years ago and hasn't eaten meat since.

it amazes me that something as insignificant as this can disgust someone to the point of changing their diet. Obviously, she never had to kill her own meal growing up.

Americans are so disconnected from our food sources that it makes me fear for our survival.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 03:28 PM

My daughter went vegetarian for about a year after her FFA calf was killed by a tree falling on him after a storm, she was bout 13. She found him in the field and said she could tell he struggled. I believe bacon was what brought her back.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By RR Jen
I believe bacon was what brought her back.

never underestimate the restorative powers of bacon!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 03:41 PM

Why would one be gluten-free if it was not due to a medical condition?

because some people must follow the latest trend, regardless of why or what it means (see "baggy/saggy pants" as an example)
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 03:55 PM

I helped butcher chickens when I was a pre-teen. I didn't go full one vegetarian but it took me a long, long, long time to even think about eating chicken again.
Posted By: CULady

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By DoS
Americans are so disconnected from our food sources that it makes me fear for our survival.

This reminded me of my husband's aunt... She was responding to something having to do with Cecil the lion and said: "So few of us are truly hungry to the point of killing for nourishment to survive."

Because apparently when you order from a fancy restaurant the food magically appears and there are no dead animals involved in your filet mignon... *eye roll*

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By DoS

Years ago, two nieces spent the night with us. They said they wanted mashed potatoes for dinner. When my wife got out some potatoes and started peeling them, they wanted to know what she was doing. They had never seen mashed potatoes that weren't poured out of a box.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By CULady

Because apparently when you order the food magically appears and there are no dead animals involved

well, if you frequent McDonald's, that would be a correct statement...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By MyBrainHurts
They said they wanted mashed potatoes for dinner. When my wife got out some potatoes and started peeling them, they wanted to know what she was doing. They had never seen mashed potatoes that weren't poured out of a box.

no offense to Mrs. Hurt Brains, whom i assume is a wonderful cook, but I prefer instant over home made mashed taters...my family thinks i'm weird, but indulges this folly when mashed taters are served...they make home made for everyone else, and I get my own little serving of instant...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 04:32 PM

It's funny because she lives in Montana. Hardly a booming metropolis far removed from hunting and agriculture. As far as gluten free, she had some digestion problems and assumed gluten was the culprit or more appropriately her mother assumed gluten was the culprit.

She would likely starve at my house. We have very few meals that do not contain some type of meat as a main component.

Instant mashed potatoes are an abomination in the same way Cool Whip and Miracle Whip are abominations and crimes against nature.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 04:37 PM

now wait just a cotton pickin minute...cool whip is awesome...I put it in the freezer and eat it just like ice cream...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 04:41 PM

cool whip is worse than Reddi Wip which is an abomination.

In best Peeper voice; "aren't there any women that can make the real stuff?"

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 04:47 PM

"Instant mashed potatoes are an abomination in the same way Cool Whip and Miracle Whip are abominations and crimes against nature."

I can do instant mashed potatoes and really enjoy them, all while acknowledging that they are a different dish than the real thing.

I have no patience with Cool Whip, Miracle Whip, or any sort of margarine or spreads. Same goes for sugar substitutes. I'd rather do without completely than to eat any of this stuff.

There's too much perfectly good whipped cream, mayonnaise, unsalted butter, and cane sugar in the world and life is already too short to have to eat fake or substitute food.

There are so many wonderful meat dishes in the world that I'm not afflicting myself with any sort of diet that doesn't include meats.

Moderation in all things ... says the compliance officer who is munching Ghiradelli 60% dark chocolate squares, provided by his good wife, as he types this.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 05:01 PM

Sorry Hap! Cool Whip is a menace to society. It resides in my garage freezer only during the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas so my misguided husband can consume it on his pumpkin pie.

I don't despise Miracle Whip to that point but it's close. I don't even consider margarine a food.

Please note I grew up eating margarine, MW and Cool Whip because my Okie daddy married a northern girl and it took awhile for her to assimilate.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 05:14 PM

http://www.thealternativedaily.com/a-health-nightmare-nothing-cool-about-cool-whip/

No health nut here, I'm less concerned about the ingredients than I am the comparatively wretched taste when compared with yummy whipped cream as has always been served up by Mrs. noelekal, and my mother, aunts, and grandmothers before her. I'd have to just throw my slice of holiday pumpkin pie out in abject disappointment if it was adulterated with Cool Whip.
Posted By: #ONENANA

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 06:15 PM

Happy I too keep the cool whip frozen and eat it like ice cream. Let the badgering begin.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 06:17 PM

A scoop of frozen Cool Whip in hot chocolate is amazing. Well, not today, it's like 90 degrees out there.
Posted By: #ONENANA

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 06:17 PM

As far as the mayonaise miracle whip debate goes it depends what I'm putting it on. Bacon sandwich miracle whip, ham and cheese mayonaise, balogna(I know)miracle whip etc.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 06:21 PM

I only use miracle-whip on deviled ham sandwiches...not sure that is real meat, so why use real mayo? otherwise, I eat no mayo, and nothing with mayo in it...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 06:25 PM

Hah! Can't stand Miracle Whip but love deviled ham and other canned "mystery meats."

There's just no accounting for tastes.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 08:29 PM

we only use Duke's Mayo at my house.... been thinking about learning to make my own... Cool whip only when I don't have time to make the real thing. I don't like instant mashed potatoes. I CAN tell the difference in taste and only like the real thing...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 08:32 PM

There is certainly a difference the taste of instant mashed potatoes and the mashed potatoes "Mother used to make." I just happen to like instant mashed potatoes as well. Don't get them but once in a blue moon because my wife prefers the genuine article.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 09:04 PM

found out last week that potatoes are the cause of the downfall of civilization so we do not get them at home anymore.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/12/15 09:45 PM

my only issue with home made mashed potatoes is that there could be a few small lumps (or big lumps) and if you use just a little too much or not enough of something, it is an inconsistent result...with instant, open and dump a bag in some water and you're pretty much done...
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 12:09 PM

To avoid the lumps, Happy, you have to make sure they are all out prior to adding the milk. I was taught that way by my mother and aunt. If I have lumps in my potatoes I'm quite upset with myself. No one else cares, but I do.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 12:16 PM

If you put the boiled potatoes through a ricer prior to adding the milk and butter you won't have any lumps. You also want to make sure that as much of the moisture as possible is out of the potatoes prior to mashing. I always try to make sure that the milk and butter are as close to room temp as possible prior to adding them.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 12:56 PM

or, I can just rip open the packet of Betty Crocker Instant and i'm done!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 01:00 PM

Thomasj,
Have you heard of using a ricer for cauliflower - to make a cauliflower pizza crust?

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By QCL
Thomasj,
Have you heard of using a ricer for cauliflower - to make a cauliflower pizza crust?

Why would one ruin a pizza like that?

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 01:22 PM

Hardy har har Ed, for the kiddo. smile

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 01:22 PM

I've heard of the cauliflower pizza crust but have never tried it.

Honestly, I rarely make home made mashed potatoes anymore - just on special occasions. The Bob Evans mashed potatoes that you heat in the microwave are much easier when the entire house is starving and wanting dinner on the table on a work night.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 01:42 PM

When consuming lumpy mashed potatoes, I suppose that thinking of each lump as a mini-baked potato wouldn't work.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 02:11 PM

Here's the recipe that we're going to try for the cauliflower pizza. http://blog.paleohacks.com/hacks-cauliflower-ricepizza-crust/

I've also seen these used for taco shells.

Similar recipe - but talks more about processing the cauliflower. http://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust-recipe/

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 02:24 PM

I was going to post why would fake pizza be on a I food real sited until I realized the other site was a Paleo site.

For pizza go to NY and you will find real pizza that is not Paleo. Or you can have Chicago style which makes you look for Paleo and cauliflower. laugh

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 02:46 PM

eater.com had a really good article on NY pizza the other day...proud to say I've eaten at many of the places they covered...and I agree, Chicago style pizza really pales in comparison - just a bunch of thick dough and tomato paste...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 02:59 PM

we only use Duke's Mayo at my house

This.

You can make instant taters taste nearly like the real thing by swapping the water/milk ratio (or eliminating the water all together ) and adding extra pepper. I don't know why the pepper is so important, but it is.

Having said that, I couldn't even tell you the last time I had ANY kind of mashed tater.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 03:17 PM

a shirt I saw with a picture of a deer on it:

Hey vegetarians - my food poops on your food

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 03:23 PM

I saw a picture of a hunter with a trophy buck captioned:

"Vegetarians - this guy was eating your food. Don't worry, I took care of him. You're Welcome."

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 03:24 PM

I don't mind lumps in mashed potatoes. If I've got non-lump people, I just whip the potatoes with a mixer. If it's just for my family, I smash the potatoes with a masher then add the butter and milk.

I've never had Duke's mayo. Is it that much better than Hellmans? I like their olive oil may especially in casseroles.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 03:47 PM

I don't mind lumps in mashed potatoes. If I've got non-lump people, I just whip the potatoes with a mixer. If it's just for my family, I smash the potatoes with a masher then add the butter and milk.

This. And if the mixer makes them too pasty, they just get more milk and/or sour cream added in.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 03:47 PM

Hunting season can't come soon enough. A Safety & Soundness exam derailed plans for a vacation in July.

Wonder if they sell this Duke's mayonnaise in Texas. I've not heard of the brand. Love good mayo which leaves out Kraft.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By RR Becca

This. And if the mixer makes them too pasty, they just get more milk and/or sour cream added in.

^^ Like. Sour cream in mashed potatoes is to die for!!
I need to make some mashed potatoes tonight. Hmm what meat dish to make with them...

BTW the best part of mashed potatoes is the leftovers which turn into potato pancakes on Saturday mornings. Mmmmm

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 03:56 PM

This dumb thread has made me crave mashed potatoes. Like I "need" mashed potatoes ...
Posted By: DoS

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By noelekal
Hunting season can't come soon enough.

Couldn't agree more ... turkey and archery deer and small game start mid-September. of course I have a CRA exam and external auditors and a couple of seminars to attend in September

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By RR Joker

Having said that, I couldn't even tell you the last time I had ANY kind of mashed tater.

oh, you poor thing...why do you do this to yourself? I even had Andouille mashed potatoes last week...which was the first time having but certainly won't be the last...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By DoS
Hunting season can't come soon enough.

Couldn't agree more ... turkey and archery deer and small game start mid-September. of course I have a CRA exam and external auditors and a couple of seminars to attend in September

The same story in our house. Apparently there are geese that need to be shot in September and pre-teen daughter is concerned with her groupings (or lack thereof) for youth deer season, that begins the second week of October.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 05:51 PM

potatoes just don't make it to my grocery list. Once in awhile I'll make homemade tater chips in the microwave (yum)...but I just don't buy starch...never really crave it I guess!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 05:53 PM

Unfortunately starch is one of my many downfalls..... I love potatoes: mashed, baked, fried, salad, pancakes, well you get the picture.....
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 06:00 PM

I made twice baked potatoes for the first time a few nights ago. My husband loved them.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 06:24 PM

Leftover mashed potatoes became potato pancakes in the morning, growing up. Starch was everywhere.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 06:53 PM

walden, now that you mentioned potato salad, that's probably the only reason I would buy potatoes. I do love me some tater salad during the summer!
Posted By: NotDoneYet

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/13/15 07:42 PM

Leftover mashed potatoes becomes mashed potato salad. Yum!!!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 02:04 PM

Love 'em, won't let myself eat 'em...see the Office Bod thread... wink
Posted By: cbu3

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 05:12 PM

Making mayonnaise is really simple; it's an emulsion of egg, oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt and optionally dry mustard. Some even add pepper, which makes a great spread for sandwiches. Naturally, you can experiment and create your own specialty mayo!

A few tips:
Have everything at room temperature
When adding the oil while whisking the egg (or whipping it with a mixer or your equipment weapon of choice), add the oil in a slow, thin stream

I'm not familiar with Duke's mayonnaise. I prefer Best Foods, which is Hellman's (it used to be east of the Rockies, I'm not sure if that is still the case)

Cool Whip for me is a definite "no thank you", all I taste is chemicals.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 05:23 PM

A question asked from pure dietary ignorance and apathy but is the potato (and starches in general)now considered so bad for us that we should completely avoid them?

I love potatoes as much as any one else but realistically only eat them a time or two per month, mostly as the baked item and then not loaded (a little real butter or sour cream and black pepper). I hardly ever eat fries though I like good home made fries because we hardly ever eat at fast food joints and if we do I mostly don't bother with their fries.
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 05:28 PM

...and Miracle Whip are abominations and crimes against nature....

Bite your tongue, woman! shocked The tangy taste of Miracle Whip is delicious. My wife even gave me a jar at Christmas! Miracle Whip and Wonder Bread...that was my favorite sandwich as a kid smile
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 05:56 PM

That ^^ certainly explains a lot, Freak.

wink

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 06:04 PM

This thread did make me go home yesterday and eat "mayonnaise crackers" before mowing the yard. My wife showed me "mayonnaise crackers" only a year or so back, saying they used to eat mayonnaise spread on saltine crackers when she was a kid.

Good stuff!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By califgirl
That ^^ certainly explains a lot, Freak.

wink

C'mon...next you'll be dissin' Velveeta.... wink

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 06:14 PM

A question asked from pure dietary ignorance and apathy but is the potato (and starches in general)now considered so bad for us that we should completely avoid them?

Like many things, a potato is not bad for you (165ish calories, almost no fat, 25% of your potassium for the day, 37g carbs, almost 20% of your fiber, even 4.3g of protein! all assuming you eat the skin, which you should!), it's how they're prepared that makes them bad. Fried, soaked in butter, etc.

Now, you could find better alternatives for every nutrient source in them, sure, and if you have potatoes, plus bread, etc. you're probably overdoing your carb needs, but potatoes can certainly be in a healthy well-balanced diet.

ETA: Doused in cheese sauce/Velveeta is another bad option, Freak, even if there're a few specks of broccoli in there!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 06:16 PM

Thanks Matt a great idea why did I miss it a cheesy Potato sandwich.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 06:32 PM

Mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce on a (real) turkey sandwich, man... one of the best parts about Thanksgiving leftovers!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 07:13 PM

Mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce on a (real) turkey sandwich, man... one of the best parts about Thanksgiving leftovers!

All those different food categories should not be touching each other in a sandwich. That's just wrong. Yeah, there's a reason I'm a fan of those divided cafeteria trays.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 07:19 PM

Love real cheeses of all kinds but Velveeta holds no appeal.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 07:20 PM

Love real cheeses of all kinds but Velveeta holds no appeal.

That's because Velveeta is not a real cheese...now, just what is Velveeta...?
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 08:01 PM

processed cheese food

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 08:02 PM

Food of the Gods

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 08:02 PM

Divinity

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 08:03 PM

Deliciousawesomeness!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 08:26 PM

Yummy cheeses
http://www.cheese.com/roquefort/
http://www.cheese.com/stilton/
http://www.cheese.com/camembert/
http://www.cheese.com/fresh-mozzarella/
http://www.cheese.com/cheddar/
http://www.cheese.com/feta/
http://www.cheese.com/gruyere/

The Un-Cheese
http://www.kraftfoodsgroup.com/brands/largest-brands/brands-v/velveeta.aspx

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 08:32 PM

Do they still make that awesome cheese that squirts out of the can? You just open your mouth and press the white squirt tip.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 08:46 PM

Yep. One of my kiddos loves spray cheese. Although when I'm around I make him spray it on a cracker or something.
Posted By: EB, CAMS

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 09:33 PM

Real butter is very good. Good for you and definitely a preferred alternative to margarine.

But, I'm a real butter, real cheese, whole milk kinda girl.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/14/15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By The Frog Lady
Real butter is very good. Good for you and definitely a preferred alternative to margarine.

Me too! Earlier today I gave the new employee a dirty look when she said she like margarine on her baked potato. sick
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/16/15 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By waldensouth
Unfortunately starch is one of my many downfalls..... I love potatoes: mashed, baked, fried, salad, pancakes, well you get the picture.....

what she said...there is hardly a meal in our house without potatoes. add boiled, with butter, with cheese, with bacon and cheese, potato soup, cheese potato soup.

some one asked what meet to have with their mashed potatoes, I would suggest beef, (or in my case canned deer meat) added to a can of brown gravy and french onion soup. cooked in a crock pot all day. Then when I get come make hot roast beef sandwiches out of it.

then far as lumpy mashed potatoes, that is my favorite at thanksgiving or Christmas with a mixture of reds and kennebec potatoes boiled and mashed with the skins on. add lots of real cream, butter and a dab of sour cream.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/16/15 01:23 AM

call me weird but i also like corn or noodles on my mashed potatoes.
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/16/15 04:19 AM

Ok, that's weird.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 01:02 PM

It is actually a pretty common meal in SE Ohio. When you go through meal lines that have each, they will ask, "What would you like on your mashed potatoes, corn, noodles or gravy?"

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 01:12 PM

My mother and sisters eat noodles/gravy on their mashed potatoes. The first time my wife saw this she said, "It must be a Pennsylvania thing."

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By BaconBoy
Originally Posted By The Frog Lady

Me too! Earlier today I gave the new employee a dirty look when she said she like margarine on her baked potato. sick

I find most people that think they are using margarine these days are using oil spread instead. Now days I use withe real butter or that Omega 3 based butter mix that says it has the good cholesterol added to it.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 01:59 PM

Like that Country Crock stuff, Wolfy? Have a close family member that serves that stuff. A particular flavor of "yuck" spread on one's dinner roll.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 02:07 PM

Ok noodles on mashed potatoes is weird. I've never seen such a thing. But corn on mashed potatoes is common but not my taste.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 02:15 PM

TJ,
The Der Dutchman Restaurant has Chicken Noodles on Mashed Potatoes as a menu item.

ETA: I say this because they claim to be Pennsylvania Dutch.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 02:54 PM

I had chicken noodles on mashed potatoes at the restaurant in Shipshewana. Amish cooking is great!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 03:06 PM

Creamed peas or corn on a baked potato... yum!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 03:21 PM

Salsa on a baked potato is surprisingly good.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 03:31 PM

Definitely! Especially with sour cream and cheese. Mmmm.

Now I want some potatoes.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 03:32 PM

I need to stay out of this thread because it's 2 hours until lunch and now all I want is a baked potato loaded with butter, sour cream, pulled pork and bbq sauce.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 03:36 PM

I need to stay out of this thread because it's 2 hours until lunch and now all I want is a baked potato loaded with butter, sour cream, pulled pork and bbq sauce.

Oh, our local Bar B Cuties has those. One of my favorite indulgences.

Or with Brisket

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 03:45 PM

When my mother would make Sunday dinners there were usually home made noodles and gravy regardless of the meat that was served. My mother and sisters always put the noodle/gravy mix on their mashed potatoes. I am not a big noodle or gravy fan, so that is not something I picked up. I believe it was passed down from my great-grandmother on my mom's side.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 03:46 PM

Every BBQ restaurant around here has loaded baked potatoes and it's my favorite thing to get. Billy Sims (of OU football fame) has a chain of BBQ joints and while it pains this OSU fan to admit, he's got really good food. There are also great loaded baked potatoes at the OK state fair.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 04:17 PM

Like that Country Crock stuff, Wolfy? Have a close family member that serves that stuff. A particular flavor of "yuck" spread on one's dinner roll.

No none of that yucky stuff. Land O'Lakes for me. But it is still not as good tasting as real butter.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/17/15 04:19 PM

I grew up on Country Crock, actually miss it. Of Course, dad had a Heart attack at 50.

Our house has the real stuff and that stuff Paul Harvey would promote with the mega 3 in it.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 02:23 PM

Quote:
noelekal said: This thread did make me go home yesterday and eat "mayonnaise crackers" before mowing the yard. My wife showed me "mayonnaise crackers" only a year or so back, saying they used to eat mayonnaise spread on saltine crackers when she was a kid.

For me...as a kid....mustard sandwich. I piece of soft processed white sandwich bread, spread with French's yellow mustard and folded over.....delicious!!!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 02:32 PM

Back to weight loss and fad diets.....sheesh. It's calories in vs calories out.....God's law, not mine....and each person's natural resting metabolic rate, which can be heightened with more lean muscle mass. True though, heredity/genetics does play a part in each person's tendency to gain weight or ability to lose weight.

Eating whole foods exclusively (which is a challenge) accompanied by exercise will probably cause weight loss in most people.

When I turned 50, all of a sudden, it became a challenge for me to stay at a healthy weight. Grrrr!!

My boyfriend doesn't understand why he doesn't lose weight. I attempted to explain to him that he DRINKS his daily allotment of calories and then eats solid food too....a typical day: a couple of gatorades, a bucket of regular soda, 2 or 3 beers at night.....he almost never drinks water.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By swiggles
2 or 3 beers at night.....he almost never drinks water.

replace those 2-3 beers with Coors Light, the has more water in it than water...

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 03:27 PM

Drinking your daily calories has become so yummy it is hard not to do it. I try to pick water over soda or even juice but most tap water tastes so bad I have to choke it down. Bottled water is fine but it is hard to pay more for water than for a soda.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 03:28 PM

Can someone tell PITA that while they eat their veggies those very same veggies could have been picked by a 10 year old or younger?

Let us worry about children instead of animals (even though some children could be considered animals)

A child of any age may be employed by his or her parent or person standing in place of the parent at any time in any occupation on a farm owned or operated by that parent or person standing in place of that parent.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/childlabor102.pdf

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 03:35 PM

Quote:
noelekal said: This thread did make me go home yesterday and eat "mayonnaise crackers" before mowing the yard. My wife showed me "mayonnaise crackers" only a year or so back, saying they used to eat mayonnaise spread on saltine crackers when she was a kid.

For me...as a kid....mustard sandwich. I piece of soft processed white sandwich bread, spread with French's yellow mustard and folded over.....delicious!!!

Something that some would consider to be a "bit off the wall" is peanut butter and yellow mustard sandwiches. My grandmother showed me peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. I love 'em. I can see her and her kitchen every time I eat one.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 03:39 PM

Peanut butter and Miracle Whip are the sandwiches my dad ate when I was a kid.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 03:44 PM

Can someone tell PITA that while they eat their veggies those very same veggies could have been picked by a 10 year old or younger?

PITA - flat hollow unleavened bread that can be split open to hold a filling.

PETA - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (or around here People Eating Tasty Animals)

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 03:50 PM

PITA Pain in the ...
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 04:09 PM

A little late to the potato discussion, but since I'm from Idaho, I feel like I should weigh in.

I generally eat some form of potatoes 2-3 times a week. Some of my favorites are:

Mashed w/ gravy, w/ chicken and noodles, w/ beef stroganoff

Baked w/ pulled pork, w/ Chili, w/ chicken and cheese sauce

Twice baked, homemade fries/chips, etc, etc

I'm like the Benjamin Buford Blue (Bubba) of Potatoes.

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 04:18 PM

A little late to the potato discussion, but since I'm from Idaho, I feel like I should weigh in.

not everyone from Idaho is late smirk laugh

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 07:11 PM

Let us worry about children instead of animals (even though some children could be considered animals)
.....due to poor parenting and a me-me world.

I can't believe what I see children doing out in public with totally oblivious parents standing nearby. Forevermore!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 07:23 PM

I can't believe what I see children doing out in public with totally oblivious parents standing nearby. Forevermore!

So you agree that the children should be in the fields picking veggies so that veggie-tarinans do not have to eat a cow as permitted by US law and most likely other nations?

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 08:06 PM

Quote:

Something that some would consider to be a "bit off the wall" is peanut butter and yellow mustard sandwiches. My grandmother showed me peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. I love 'em. I can see her and her kitchen every time I eat one.
Is that something like an acid trip? laugh

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 08:06 PM

PITA Pain in the ...
Royal!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 08:08 PM

So you agree that the children should be in the fields picking veggies so that veggie-tarinans do not have to eat a cow as permitted by US law and most likely other nations?
Werd!

Re: Vegetarianism - 08/18/15 08:56 PM

Absolutely not. What gave you that idea?