Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange

Posted By: Little Miss BSA

Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 02:21 PM

I wasn't sure if this topic had been done but who has enough cookie recipes for this time of year anyway LOL

Here's a recipe I clipped form our local paper (Miami Herald) and tried last year - they were yummy.....

ORANGE-ROSEMARY COOKIES WITH ORANGE GLAZE
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 small sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 orange, finely zested and juice reserved
2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and rosemary in a large bowl. Cream the butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla and orange zest and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls (about 1 tablespoon each) and place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until just golden at the edges, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the confectioners sugar and reserved orange juice in a medium bowl and set aside.

Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool on the baking sheets about 5 minutes, then top each with about a teaspoon of the orange glaze. Makes about 24 cookies.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 02:30 PM

Toast almonds- spread on baking sheet and insert in preheated 350*F oven, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until nuts are lightly toasted to pale golden brown Process almonds in food processor with the 3 tbs of sugar until almonds are finely ground.
Set aside.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt onto a sheet of wax paper or into a bowl.
Set aside.
Cream butter with remaining 3/4 cups sugar until mixture is light in colour and texture (at least 3 minutes).
Beat egg and almond extract;then the almond mixture into to butter mixture until just smooth.
On a low speed, beat in flour mixture until just smooth.
Cover dough tightly in plastic wrap.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours (or until well chilled) or up to 5 days.
Position racks in oven to center and top third of oven and preheat to 350*F.
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly butter them.
Portion dough into 80 pieces, about 1 tsp each.
Roll into balls.
(I have heard that you can put two bits of dough in one hand and roll them into 2 balls between your palms, which will cut your rolling time in half.) Place balls about 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets.
Do not crowd.
It is likely that 3 sheets will be needed to bake all of the cookies.
Bake, switching the position of the sheets from top to bottom and front to back after about 5-6 minutes.
Cook another 5-6 minutes, or until lightly browned all over.
Let cookies cool on the sheets for about 3 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks and cool completely.
Melt chocolate (a double boiler is recommended, but any method is fine).
Spread about 1/2 tsp on the underside of a cookie, then lightly sandwich between another cookie.
Alternatively-a parchment cone can be filled with melted chocolate and the chocolate can be piped onto cookies before being sandwiched.
Refrigerate cookies breifly to set chocolate, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for some time.
**Fora fancier cookie** Lightly brush each cookie with an egg glaze (beat 1 egg+ 1 tsp water) and top with a few sliced almonds before baking

Or you can go to the store and by Pepperidge Farms Milano cookies

I would go with the latter

http://www.food.com/recipe/pepperidge-farms-milano-cookie-copycat-50133
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 02:38 PM

Christmas Macaroons (old Gilmore family recipe)

1. Go to grocery store
2. Buy macaroons
3. Bring them home and take from original packaging and transfer to Christmas boxes
4. Enjoy
Posted By: Cornfed Turtle

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 03:02 PM

Don't know where this recipe came from, but it's a family fav. They are easy to make and never fail. The cookies are soft, keep well and travel easily. One batch of dough makes about 4 dozen cookies in very little time. The mixed dough even keeps in the 'fridge for about a week. What more can you ask of a cookie?

And yes, LMB, I am constantly looking for cookie recipes! So thanks for thinking of this.

Lumberjacks

1 c granulated sugar
1 c shortening
1 c good, dark molasses
2 eggs, unbeaten
4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Cream together the sugar and the shortening. Add the molasses and the eggs and beat well. Sift together the dry ingredients and add slowly to the wet ingredients. It becomes hard to get the last of the flour in and you may have to stir in by hand.

Roll about a Tbsp of dough into walnut sized balls. Roll in turbinado sugar and place on greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 03:12 PM

I can't wait to try out these recipes! Most likely, I'll get eating the cookie dough in the process, because that's what we did growing up. For those concerned about eating raw eggs (I certainly am not one of *those* people):

Edible Egg-less Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

•1 stick unsalted butter, softened
•3/4 cups packed brown sugar
•2 teaspoons vanilla (based upon feedback, you may want to reduce this amount. I like a prominent vanilla flavor but feel free to adjust)
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 cup all-purpose flour
•2 tablespoons milk
•1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
•1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

1.With your mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add in vanilla and salt, mix.
2.Add in flour. The mixture is going to be crumbly at this point.
3.Add in 2 tablespoons of milk and mix. Now the dough will look like the cookie dough you’re used to seeing.
4.Fold in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips and 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips.
5.Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Freeze for up to three months.

***there's a warning with this recipe--"6.UPDATE: It was brought to my attention that there is a small risk you can still get sick from eating raw flour. Please consume at your own risk." Boo!
Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 03:57 PM

Here's a delicious one that I made last year and my family requested them again:
Turtle Pecan Cookie Recipe (http://pixelatedcrumb.com/2012/01/11/chocolate-turtle-cookies/)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg, separated, plus 1 egg white
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/4 cups pecans, chopped fine
14 soft caramel candies
3 tablespoons heavy cream

1.Combine flour, cocoa, and salt in bowl. With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
2.Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk egg whites in bowl until frothy. Place pecans in another bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, dip in egg whites, then roll in pecans. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Using 1/2-teaspoon measure, make indentation in center of each ball. Bake until set, about 12 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking.
3.Microwave caramels and cream in bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Once cookies are removed from oven, gently re-press existing indentations. Fill each with 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture. Cool 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Try not to devour them all at once.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 04:05 PM

After reading these recipes I am thinking we need to drop the ornament exchange and have a cookie exchange.

Busy Bee, I am going to be printing that one out for the wife.
And Cornfed, will be trying that one too.

I will have to bring mine in from home to post, (Since BOL will only let me log on from one PC since the "upgrade") have a very good family favorite Sugar Molasses recipe I will share.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 04:07 PM

I would so join a cookie exchange as a taste tester.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 04:29 PM

Busy - those sound fantastic. I may have to try them.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 04:38 PM

I'll add my recipe tomorrow.

I agree with DD! I'd love to get cookies in the mail!!
Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 05:01 PM

They're amazing!! Although...one batch only makes about a dozen cookies. I quadrupled it last year to get 4 dozen. My family loved them!
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/10/15 05:19 PM

Not a cookie - but I have a recipe for the best Cranberry Almond Walnut Pie that is wonderful. More like a bread but so tasty. I will find that recipe and post it here too.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/12/15 03:56 PM

COWBOY COOKIES

1 cup shortening (butter or margarine may be substituted)
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup chopped pecans
6 ounces chocolate chips

Cream together shortening, sugar and light brown sugar until mixture is light. Add eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla extract. Beat until well blended. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in oatmeal, pecans and chocolate chips, blending well. Drop by spoonfuls on well-greased cookie sheet. Bake in 350-degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Makes 6 dozen.

Variations: Replace nuts with wheat germ. Or, reduce oats to 2 cups and adds 2/3 cup shredded coconut and 2/3 cup raisins.

Per serving: 90 calories (48 percent from fat), 4.8 g fat (1.3 g saturated, 1.5 g monounsaturated), 5 mg cholesterol, 1.1 g protein, 10.8 g carbohydrate, 0.7 g fiber, 53 mg sodium.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 02:09 PM

Trying to keep this thread alive for the holidays grin

BROWNIE KRINKLES
This recipe must be prepared in advance. From “Cookie Love” by Mindy Segal with Kate Leahy (Ten Speed Press). Bake the cookies until just the edges are set and the tops no longer look raw. “The cookies dry out and lose their fudgy center if baked too long,” Segal writes.

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
1/2 cup canola oil or sunflower oil
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

In a double boiler over gently simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula. Remove from heat and keep warm.

Crack eggs into a small bowl and add vanilla extract.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, kosher salt and sea salt.

In a bowl of an electric mixer on low speed, mix canola oil (or sunflower oil) and granulated sugar for 1 minute. Add melted chocolate and mix to combine, about 30 seconds.

Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase speed to medium and add eggs and vanilla extract mixture, one yolk at a time, mixing briefly (about 5 seconds) to incorporate each yolk. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula and mix for 20 to 30 seconds.

Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture all at once, mixing dough until it comes together but still looks shaggy, about 30 seconds. Do not overmix. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl with a rubber spatula and give one final stir to bring dough together.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is firm, at least 30 minutes or overnight.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Using a 1 1/2 tablespoon ( 3/4 ounce) scoop, portion dough into mounds and roll into balls. Coat balls completely and generously with powdered sugar (you will not use all the powdered sugar). Dough should resemble snowballs.

Space dough balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets and add a generous pinch or 2 more powdered sugar to the tops. Bake for 8 minutes. Rotate pan, and bake until cookies form crinkles and are set in the middle, another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Dough can be refrigerated up to a week.

Yield: 3 dozen cookies

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 02:17 PM

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/49...s_Food-_-494895
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 02:26 PM

I combined a cupcake and a brownie, I call it a crownie
Posted By: DoS

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By Peepers

did you just put the brownie on top of the cupcake?

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By DoS
Originally Posted By Peepers

did you just put the brownie on top of the cupcake or just crammed the two into your mouth at the same time?

Fixed for clarity

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 02:44 PM

it was really arts and craftsy Tony Romo's idea

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 02:46 PM

I prefer Tony Roma but sadly all closed in my area.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 02:48 PM

http://www.nutritionrank.com/calories-to...tamins-analysis

As we can see absolutely no nutritional value.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 03:05 PM

I love these cookies. They're the perfect combination of chocolate and peppermint.

Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
Prep Time:3 Hours
Difficulty:Easy
Cook Time:9 Minutes
Servings:36 Servings

Ingredients

•2 sticks Salted Butter, Slightly Softened
•1 cup Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
•1 whole Egg
•2 teaspoons Vanilla
•2-1/2 cups Flour
•1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
•1 teaspoon Salt
•4 ounces, weight (4 Squares) Almond Bark Or White Baking Chocolate (almond Bark Works Best And Is Cheaper)
• Large Handful Of Red Or Green Peppermints

Instructions

Cream softened butter with powdered sugar. Add egg and vanilla and mix to combine. Add dry ingredients and mix together until dough comes together. Place plastic wrap on surface of dough and refrigerate for 2 hours.

In the meantime, unwrap candies and place them in a plastic bag. Beat with a mallet until finely crushed, leaving larger chunks if desired.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Roll cookie dough in walnut-sized pieces and place on a cookie sheet. Gently press balls flat with a plain, smooth surface. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, being careful not to burn. Cookies will remain the same general size and shape after they bake. Remove from oven and place cookies on a cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely.

Place crushed candies in bowl. Melt almond bark in the microwave. Dip cooled cookies into almond bark, coating half the cookie. Immediately sprinkle crushed peppermints over both sides of the almond bark. Gently set on parchment paper or other nonstick surface and allow to cool before serving.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 05:08 PM

OK, Okie. I gotta ask. I have tried on a number of occasions to dip in melted bark. What's the trick to this? I remember my gran's perfectly dipped cookies and candies. How do y'all do it? Do you skewer them? How do you let them drip?

I have avoided any dipped cookie or candy for too many years, but these cookies sound too good.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 05:45 PM

I would think you would need to add wax to the chocolate or Almond Bark.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 06:14 PM

I don't add anything to the almond bark. I keep it warm in a double boiler and I make sure the cookies are cool but not cold. This is a very sturdy cookie so it holds up to the dipping really well. I hold the cookie with my fingers and just dip half of the top in the almond bark. Then I sprinkle the peppermints on top. If I try to dip in the peppermints, it gets too messy. I like the looks and flavor or them only half coated in the bark and peppermints.

Don't be afraid Corny!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 06:20 PM

I don't add anything to the almond bark either. I warm small batches in the microwave, you just have to be careful to not scorch it. I prefer the taste of real chocolate though. Bakers has a microwavable cup that I use to dip strawberries in that works well and tastes pretty good. On strawberries I hold the stem to dip them. On pretzels or cookies I typically only do 1/2 to 3/4 of it so I can hold it too. On Oreo truffles, I use a spoon and make a HUGE mess but its so good.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 06:28 PM

Mmmmm Oreo truffles. Speaking of Oreos, the new peppermint ones are amazing!!!!!!!

Hmmm maybe I have a thing for choc and peppermint.
Posted By: TXBSA

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 07:09 PM

On the Oreo truffles- If you stick a toothpick in each one about halfway through before you freeze them you can dip each of them by holding the toothpick. Then give the toothpick a twist after they are dipped and it slides right out and the small hole can be covered up. Lots less messy.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 07:13 PM

/http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Nabisco-Chips-Ahoy-Copycat-Recipe.html

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 07:23 PM

I am very afraid, CO!

And one of you needs to post a recipe for an OREO Truffle!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By Cornfed Turtle
I

sit in Barco lounger
yell out "women get me some Oreos"
Wife brings Oreos
Enjoy

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By edAudit
I

sit in Barco lounger
Wife brings Oreos throws Oreos at ed
Enjoy

Fixed for accuracy

For the Oreo truffles:
crush 36 oreos into fine crumbs, add 1 block of cream cheese and beat until well mixed. Form the mixture into balls and either freeze or refrigerate to harden. Then you dip them in melted white or milk chocolate. They're so yummy. Most of the time I just keep mine in the fridge and never dip them in the melted chocolate.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 08:05 PM

Thanks you were able to get the mega stuff ones.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 09:04 PM

Y'all are going to become diabetics!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 09:13 PM

as now we find out that dark chocolate is good for you and coffee adds years to your life

some day we may find that mega stuff Oreos maintain a healthy sugar level

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 09:15 PM

and baconators clear your arteries

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
I

sit in Barco lounger
Enjoy

Fixed for accuracy

For the Oreo truffles:
crush 36 oreos into fine crumbs, add 1 block of cream cheese and beat until well mixed. Form the mixture into balls and either freeze or refrigerate to harden. Then you dip them in melted white or milk chocolate. They're so yummy. Most of the time I just keep mine in the fridge and never dip them in the melted chocolate.
[quote][/quote]

Yep...that's pretty much what I do. I always dip in white almond bark and drizzle with chocolate. Or sprinkle with some Oreo powder.

I've tried the toothpick but must be in too big of a hurry, or maybe should freeze and not just refrigerate, they seem to fall off into the almond bark.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/17/15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
[quote=Cornfed Turtle]I

sit in Barco lounger
Enjoy

Fixed for accuracy

Getting back to this would it be considered tossing you cookies?

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/23/15 06:52 PM

OKAY.....I'm going to try this OREO thing. I saw raspberry OREOs at the grocery yesterday and I'm thinking they could be incredible covered in dark chocolate.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/23/15 07:33 PM

I wonder who figured out you need precisely 36 cookies...and I assume that is NOT double stuff? laugh!
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/23/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By RR Joker
I wonder who figured out you need precisely 36 cookies... laugh!

Someone with a lot of free time and Pepto Bismol. grin

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/23/15 07:40 PM

I dump the entire package of Oreos (minus any I eat) into my food processor with the cream cheese. I have no idea how many it truly is.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/23/15 07:44 PM

I dislike posting about any type of food - the weight gain is imminent.

HOWEVER, a baker friend recommended King Arthur Flour, not only the flour, but the website. The recipes are rated, and the instructions are very easy to follow. The following is the link for cookies. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cookies-bars-and-candy The bread and cake recipes are totally awesome too.
(Just gained 2 pounds typing this.)
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/23/15 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By Pale Rider
Y'all are going to become diabetics!

DONE!!!

As American's it is our civic duty to consume! ^_-

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/23/15 11:13 PM

[quote=Rocky P]I dislike posting about any type of food - the weight gain is imminent. quote]

You know my husband likes the fact that I bake and bake and bake at Christmas, but we don't eat them. He might get a handful of cookies and that's it. I drop off 8 dozen at the middle school, 5 dozen at the bank, 4 dozen at youth group and 13 dozen at the church cookie walk. The rest of the cookies go on trays for friends and neighbors. Done! My kids get a cookie in the lunch box here and there in December. The husband eats 2 Russian Tea Cakes on Christmas Eve (count 'em....just the two with a glass of milk!) and that's about it here.

Here's hoping I can master the whole cookie dipping and OREO crushing thing. I love the encouragement I can count on here at BOL.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 02:43 PM

encouragement...enablement...same thing! laugh laugh

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By RR Jen
I dump the entire package of Oreos (minus any I eat) into my food processor with the cream cheese. I have no idea how many it truly is.

So, how many oreos are in a package? (thinks Jen really eats them down to 36) smirk
Posted By: Bbgreen

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 03:37 PM

Nutterbutter cookies dipped in white chocolate... simple & amazing!
Posted By: Tarhe

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 04:31 PM

Does anyone have a good recipe for Kolaches (Kolackies)?
Posted By: #ONENANA

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 04:46 PM

I don't know what a kolache is but after reading this thread I want some :}
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 05:28 PM

How do you not know what a kolache is? Have you never been to West?!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 05:42 PM

What is a kolache? (I've never heard of it).

A Kolach is a type of pastry that holds a dollop of fruit, rimmed by a puffy pillow of supple dough.

I think RR Becca makes these. smile
Posted By: Need Coffee

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 05:47 PM

Kolache = savory eclairs. Ham/cheese; sausage/cheese; pizza, etc.
Posted By: Need Coffee

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 05:48 PM

I am sure they aren't always savory but all the ones sold around here always have meat and cheese.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 05:56 PM

They aren't always savory but both kinds are good. I like the ones that are like mini danishes with cream cheese and fruit; Mr EGB and the Junebug like the ones that are filled with jalapeno sausage.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 07:42 PM

It is a Chech thing. Lots of central European settlers came to the central part of Texas after it won independence from Mexico. From Caldwell near College Station over to the Hill Country (Boerne up to West- think Andy Z). Check out the Kolache festival in Caldwell every year.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 09:44 PM

To West what?

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 09:46 PM

RR Joker I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 09:49 PM

West is the name of a town in TX. Ironically it's not in the western portion of TX. crazy

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 09:54 PM

I live in East Texas is that where West is located?

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 09:58 PM

West is just north of Waco. If I ever left OK (not likely) I'd move to east Texas. It's gorgeous around Tyler.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 10:00 PM

I live in Mineola and it is beautiful here!!!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 11/24/15 10:01 PM

Mineola is about 40 minutes from Tyler.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/02/15 02:31 PM

These are really decadent.....

Sweet Munchies Cookie
By Samantha Eichenberg of The Dessertist

10 caramel candies
½ pound unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups Oreos, roughly chopped
½ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup dark chocolate chips

Unwrap caramel candies and place in the freezer. (You will use these later.)

In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars until smooth.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Add eggs and vanilla to butter mixture, making sure ingredients are well incorporated. Gradually add dry ingredients to bowl, 1 cup at a time, and mix until dough is sticky.

Add in Oreos and slowly mix, followed by chocolate chips. Mix dough only until all the ingredients are incorporated.

Let dough chill for 15 to 20 minutes in the refrigerator. While dough is chilling, pre-heat oven to 350°F.

Once dough is chilled, line the baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a scoop or spoon, drop cookie dough onto sheets, leaving room between each cookie.

Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges become golden brown.

While cookies are baking, remove caramels from freezer and on a cutting board chop into tiny pieces. When cookies are done, remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chopped caramel candies on top so they melt into the tops of the cookies.

Let cool and enjoy!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/02/15 02:32 PM

Gingersnap Cookies

For the dough:

¾ cup of butter (softened)
1 cup of light brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
¼ cup of molasses
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of grated ginger root
2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda
½ tablespoon powdered ginger
½ tablespoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground cloves
¼ teaspoon of salt

For the dusting sugar:

1/3 cup of sugar
½ teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
¼ teaspoon powdered ginger

Cream together butter and light brown sugar in a large mixing bowl with a handheld mixer. Add the egg, molasses, vanilla, and grated ginger root, scraping down the sides as you go to ensure everything is combined.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, powdered ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Refrigerate the cookie dough for a few hours or overnight. (Chilling the dough will give you the best texture.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Have a aluminum foil-lined baking sheet nearby.

In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the dusting sugar (sugar, cinnamon and ginger). Pinching off pieces of the refrigerated dough and roll between your palms to make balls about 1-inch in diameter. Roll the balls in the dusting sugar, and place them on the baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches of space between each. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/02/15 02:34 PM

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt Potato Chips
Makes about 4 dozen cookies

2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons hot water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt or kosher salt
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into ½-inch chunks (about 2 cups)
1 ½ cups crumbled gourmet potato chips (see Ingredient Note)
Flaky sea salt for sprinkling

INGREDIENT NOTE: It’s important to use artisanal or natural-type potato chips; something a bit thicker than old-school super-thin potato chips. Crumble them until the pieces are the size of cornflakes.

Position one oven rack in the lower third and another in the upper third of the oven. Preheat to 325°F.

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and both sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes, stopping every few minutes to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the eggs, vanilla, and hot water, and mix to combine.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of the mixer and mix on low speed until no flour is visible. Stir in the chocolate chunks and 1 cup of the potato chip crumbles.

Scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough (about 1 ½ inches each) onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between them. Sprinkle a pinch of flaky sea salt and press a few of the remaining potato chip crumbles on each dough ball.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown, rotating the baking sheets from front to back and from the upper and lower racks halfway through for even baking. Set the cookies aside to cool slightly before removing them from the baking sheet. Bake the remaining dough in the same way.

Recipes from Around the World by Kelis (Kyle Books).

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/02/15 04:42 PM

You are awesome, LMBSA!

I've been looking for a good gingersnap recipe.

Kids had a 2 hour late on Tuesday and I got up at the reg time and baked cookies. Choco-Mint Blossoms! Would have been better had I added the flour. Nothing like an oven fire to wake the kids!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/02/15 05:02 PM

Nothing like an oven fire to wake the kids!

shocked eek laugh laugh

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/02/15 05:19 PM

OMG Turtle!!! I can imagine that smell...hope it's not still lingering LOL

I really like that Ginger Snap recipe because it uses both real and powdered ginger so the taste is pretty distinct. Ive been wanting toplay around and add candied ginger but that may be too much LOL .

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/02/15 07:07 PM

Quote:
In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment

Well this counts me out! laugh!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/02/15 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By Little Miss BSA
OMG Turtle!!! I can imagine that smell...hope it's not still lingering LOL

I think I may be getting new cookie sheets from Mr Turtle. The smell was really something. Lesson learned: Coffee first...than bake!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/11/15 03:18 PM

Bought the berry OREOs and the cream cheese. Here goes nothing!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/11/15 08:25 PM

Keep us posted on the turn out smile

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/15/15 06:12 PM

I made the raspberry ones...but I didn't dip in chocolate. Seems like chocolate overload somehow. They are hard to make into nice balls tho...or maybe one should use a melon scooper or something? crazy

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/15/15 06:18 PM

I used the melon baller but I'm not sure it helped. Did make a mess of the scoop!

And, yes, dipping in the choc seemed like too much. Maybe had they been smaller? I don't know. They seemed HUGE for the richness of the "cookie."

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but they weren't as overwhelmingly sweet as I had expected. Still rather overwhelming in general, but perhaps it was a combo of the size and the dipped choc.

My daughter wants to make mint ones, so that's next. Sticking with the almond bark this time.

Funniest part was when I started counting out the 36 cookies and my husband asked why. I had no answer. What...was I going to eat the other ones? I don't know. I was messing with his big Ninja blender, so he was all involved! Think he's just happy that I got it clean.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/15/15 08:16 PM

I bought a container of mint...but decided it was just easier to eat them straight up! laugh! My package had LESS than 36...I just used the whole thing.

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/22/15 03:32 PM

Customer just dropped off homemade chocolate covered cherries in drive-up. I can only say how grateful I am that it was auditing day.

Unbelievable!

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange - 12/22/15 10:12 PM

We got home made fudge here!!