What are you reading? (2016)

Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

What are you reading? (2016) - 01/02/16 02:07 PM

"Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath" by Ted Koppel (2015). Okay, the title sort of sketches the plot: "...imagine a blackout lasting not days, but weeks or months." It's interesting, but it's one expert after another being quoted as saying this is possible and that we are toast if it does happen; at 34% it's beginning to get pretty repetitive.

Thus susceptible to diversion, I downloaded a book it alluded to, "One Second After" (2011) by William R. Forstchen a novel focused on a rural community in North Carolina when the lights go out after an NEMP. It's very simply written, but still a very good read and thought provoking. (It's apparently become the preppers': We told you so!) It was good enough that I also read the sequel, "One Year After" (2015) which is little more than a script for a great action movie. (There are really good parts for Pierce Brosnan, Helen Hunt, Chris Pine, and Cuba Gooding, Jr.)
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/03/16 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By Ken_Pegasus
"Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath" by Ted Koppel (2015). Okay, the title sort of sketches the plot: "...imagine a blackout lasting not days, but weeks or months." It's interesting, but it's one expert after another being quoted as saying this is possible and that we are toast if it does happen; at 34% it's beginning to get pretty repetitive.

Thus susceptible to diversion, I downloaded a book it alluded to, "One Second After" (2011) by William R. Forstchen a novel focused on a rural community in North Carolina when the lights go out after an NEMP. It's very simply written, but still a very good read and thought provoking. (It's apparently become the preppers': We told you so!) It was good enough that I also read the sequel, "One Year After" (2015) which is little more than a script for a great action movie. (There are really good parts for Pierce Brosnan, Helen Hunt, Chris Pine, and Cuba Gooding, Jr.)

Ken, your post reminded me of a call I received from my sister a few weeks after Hurricane Ivan. Her home was the last in town to get power back, 2 to 3 weeks after the storm. It had to do with being just about the oldest house in a very small town. At one time she actually had the shut off for the gas supply for the town in her yard (she learned it was not just her shut off valve when she turned it off. smile!) When she called me post-Ivan for an update, she called on her cell phone that had been charged in her car, and said "Just call me "Ma Kettle". I am sitting on a lawn chair in my back yard, drinking a beer from a cooler, and eating an MRE that the National Guard dropped off." We still laugh about that.
Posted By: Dazed Auditor

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 01:45 PM

61 Hours by Lee Child.

I have "One Second After" on hold at the library.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 01:57 PM

Blood Trust - Eric Van Lustbader...just so-so
Posted By: DEL

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 02:45 PM

I started the Jack Reacher series this vacation, and am already hooked. I loved the first book and stayed up way too late last night on the second one! Far fetched stuff, but a great read!
Posted By: dreamz

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 03:07 PM

Heart-Shaped Box, Joe Hill. I am loving it so far! I can't wait to leave work today and pick it back up!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By DEL
I started the Jack Reacher series this vacation, and am already hooked. I loved the first book and stayed up way too late last night on the second one! Far fetched stuff, but a great read!

I've read each one, in order, as they've come out...they are starting to get repetitive...guess you can only single-handedly save the world in so many ways...

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 03:23 PM

I am reading the Jack Reacher books out of order (as they become available at my library) but it doesn't matter to me. The storylines are repetitive but not a problem for me yet.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 03:29 PM

I'm reading Inferno by Dan Brown. Another Robert Langdon adventure like the DaVinci Code, this time set in Florence. I keep googling the places he writes about to see what they look like. Like Brown's other books, it's a thriller that hooks you in right from the start, and you can learn a few things along the way.
Posted By: noelekal

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 04:18 PM

Always have several books going simultaneously. One finished yesterday was "Behind That Locked Door" by Graeme Thomson, a biography about the life of George Harrison.

I enjoyed it and appreciated the insights if offered into the Beatles, the music business, and Harrison's creative work both during and after the Beatles. Given the subject, it's probably too weighty an effort, dwelling on peripheral aspects of his life. Surprisingly scholarly, it's a long read that probably will bog down for most readers after about half-way through when one reaches about the mid-1970s and Harrison's relevance to pop music begins to fade though his personality is further developed for the reader in the second half of the book.
Posted By: DoS

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 04:22 PM

I just finished re-reading the Walking Dead compendium 2 and starting Odd Interlude by Koontz today at lunch. On a side note after reading so much Walking Dead and playing Fallout 4, I'm ready to not be involved in the end of the world for a while.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 04:37 PM

I just finished "The Guilty", the latest in Robert Baldacci's Will Robie series. It was a very good book with some twists and turns I didn't quite predict. I listened to the entire thing through the Audible app. It's my first time listening to an audio book and I really enjoyed it. When I put my headphones in, it was as if the world fell away and I felt really invested in the book and characters. I even laughed and gasped aloud more than a few times. I think I'm an audio book convert!!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 04:46 PM

CompliantOkie - I just finished that book over the weekend. It took me awhile to get into it, though. It wasn't my favorite Robie/Reel novel.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 04:49 PM

BOL threads smirk

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By Skittles
CompliantOkie - I just finished that book over the weekend. It took me awhile to get into it, though. It wasn't my favorite Robie/Reel novel.

It was a bit of a slow start. The plot seemed too similar to a Robert Downey Jr. movie I recently watched though the name escapes me. But listening to it on my phone kept me interested. I tend to read very quickly and skim over descriptive sections of novels. This didn't allow me to do that so maybe that's why I was immersed more quickly than I typically would be.
Posted By: yankee07

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 05:06 PM

I am half way through the Goldfinch by Donna Traptt, one of the best I have read recently. You never know where the story line will take you next. Highly recommend it.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 05:14 PM

Just finished Girl on the Train over vacation, now on to The Secret Life of Violet Grant.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 07:20 PM

I've really enjoyed all of the Jack Reacher books except the last one (the plot was so implausible I couldn't swallow it) and always pictured James Gandolfini as the lead. Casting Tom Cruise in the movie was like casting Cheetah to play King Kong.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 07:24 PM

Funny - and I get actors in my heads when reading certain books. I always picture Jim Caveziel (spelling?) as Will Robie in the Baldacci series.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 07:55 PM

the good thing about Reacher novels is they each stand alone, doesn't matter what order you read them. Ken, I agree that Cruise was implausible in this role, yet they are currently filming the 2nd one in Baton Rouge at this time (not sure which one it is based on).

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 08:11 PM

I've heard the second Reacher book is based on Never Go Back.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/04/16 09:58 PM

CompliantOkie, I adore Audible, it's definitely one of my favorite apps. Some of the narrators are so good.

Currently listening to the second book in the Zombie Fallout series (A Plague on Your Family) and reading... um.... I have forgotten. I read so many books over the holidays I have forgotten what I'm actually reading right now. I am pretty sure it's a time travel book; I just started it so I don't know if it's good yet.

Does anyone do Goodreads book challenge? I set my challenge at 125 for 2016. I finished 2015 at 168 books (goal of 115) so I'm pretty confident I should be able to do 125 by year-end.
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/05/16 08:39 PM

I'm working my way through the Leon Panetta Memoir "Worthy Fights" and have picked up what's left of Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor".

Worthy Fights is my home/hunting book.
Debt of Honor is my work book that has sat half-read for over a year.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/05/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
audio book convert!!

You mean story-time. You enjoy story-time. laugh

I kid, I kid.

I shouldn't joke here because I don't get to read as much as I used to, but I'm a strong opponent of the audio-book movement.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/05/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By Norman Paperman
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
audio book convert!!

You mean story-time. You enjoy story-time. laugh

I kid, I kid.

I shouldn't joke here because I don't get to read as much as I used to, but I'm a strong opponent of the audio-book movement.

mad smile
Posted By: Cornfed Turtle

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/05/16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By noelekal
Always have several books going simultaneously. One finished yesterday was "Behind That Locked Door" by Graeme Thomson, a biography about the life of George Harrison.

So wish I had read this post before Christmas. First holiday in a long time with no books to and from Mr Turtle. We both have quite the nightstand queue, but it still felt weird not being booked.

Will have to head to the bookstore later and order this one. Surprise him for valentines! Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: noelekal

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/05/16 10:38 PM

Yes, Mrs Turtle. Books are always appreciated. Mrs. noelekal and I nearly always give each other, the kids, and granddaughters books at Christmas.
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/06/16 06:51 PM

Say what you want about audio books but my commute is boring! Now I can listen to a book in the car and read a different one at home. smile Win for me.

It is also nice when my vision is messed up.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/06/16 08:52 PM

Should you be driving if your vision is messed up?
Posted By: Compl101TX

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/06/16 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By Soccer
Just finished Girl on the Train over vacation, now on to The Secret Life of Violet Grant.

Was the Girl on the Train book good? I know its amazons' best seller...
Posted By: #ONENANA

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/06/16 10:09 PM

I always pictured Tom Berenger as Jack Reacher.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/06/16 10:23 PM

A book is merely the vehicle by which the story is delivered (via print).

An audio-book, in my humble opinion (not worth much) is an audio-story.

I don't doubt that they are enjoyable.

Rant, done. smile

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/06/16 10:53 PM

I'm with cheekEE. I used to have a long commute, and the audiobooks really pass the time. And more than once, I passed my exit too, because I was caught up in the story. That's not a good thing.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/06/16 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By #ONENANA
I always pictured Tom Berenger as Jack Reacher.
needs to be someone like Michael Clarke Duncan (if her were still alive) as he is 6'5" and 275 in the books...that is like 2 Tom Cruises combined

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/07/16 12:45 PM

Girl on the Train was a great book. I couldn't put it down.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/07/16 01:56 PM

Zom-B Angel by Darren Shan

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/07/16 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By Dazed Auditor
Should you be driving if your vision is messed up?

Oh yah, I am good. It just hurts to read for too long.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/23/16 11:28 AM

"One Child: The Story of China's Radical Experiment" My youngest daughter was adopted in China, so I am a motivated reader. I found it fascinating. The methods China used to enforce the policy at the local level were appallingly cruel, but its unintended effects; e.g. millions of Chinese men who have no hope for a bride and increasing pressure on the current "sandwich" generation to support their elders and their offspring were thought provoking as well.

"The Nightingale" is a great read about two sisters and their personal attempts to survive and resist in Nazi occupied France during WW II. I knew that Germany intended to allow several million people to simply starve both during and after the war, but this is the first depiction of the real hardships these people faced I have ever read.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/23/16 08:51 PM

"Natchez Burning" by Greg Iles. It's a 800+ page brick, but it's a really good read about KKK activities and their impact a generation later. Against that backdrop is an exploration of the relationships between fathers and sons. The downside: when you get to end, you're still in the middle of the story. It's book one of a trilogy. Part 2, the Bone Tree came out last year, and I need to see if it's at the library. Book 3 is scheduled for 2017.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/23/16 11:37 PM

Don't start trilogies until all the books are out.
Posted By: burkemi

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/24/16 05:50 PM

I'm working may way through "It." Big fan of Stephen King.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/24/16 06:25 PM

burkemi - I loved It. I just got (but haven't started) 11/22/63. My son thought it was a very good novel. My favorite, though, is still The Stand.
Posted By: 3-2-Go

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/24/16 06:54 PM

I loved "It" too! Let us know how you like 11/22/63, I might have to read that one next.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/24/16 07:04 PM

Aren't they making 11/22/63 into a Hulu show? I want to see that.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/24/16 07:34 PM

I've read 11/22/63 - thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing if the show is as good.
Posted By: NorthSouth

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/25/16 02:08 PM

While it gets a little slow about 2/3 of the way through, 11/22/63 is one of my favorites. It captures the era of much simpler times very well.

Watched the first Hulu show and thought it was very good. As always though I recommend reading the book first.
Posted By: 3-2-Go

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/25/16 03:43 PM

Great. I will read the book. Thanks!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/01/16 05:59 PM

burkemi - I loved It. I just got (but haven't started) 11/22/63. My son thought it was a very good novel. My favorite, though, is still The Stand.

Absolutely agree, Skittle. The Stand is easily my favorite single book. But, I don't know if I could pick between it and The Dark Tower series. I've barely started on It, only about 300 pages in. And haven't yet had the chance to read 11/22/63 --- but it's already on the list!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/02/16 04:39 PM

I just started "Psych's Guide to Crime Fighting for the Totally Unqualified"

It's fantastic, it's written by the character's of the show. the best part are the footnotes!
Posted By: CULady

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/02/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By DoS
I just started "Psych's Guide to Crime Fighting for the Totally Unqualified"

It's fantastic, it's written by the character's of the show. the best part are the footnotes!

That sounds AWESOME! I am looking it up on Amazon as we speak... I absolutely LOVED that show!
Posted By: Peach

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/02/16 04:48 PM

The Nightingale, very good book. Slow start but now I can't put it down. Such a sad story about humanity.
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/02/16 06:36 PM

There are some books that I would rather read and then there are some that I prefer the audio. I love listening to Maeve Binchy's books. There are some that I will first read and then listen to the audio. For the last 22 years my commute has been 50 minutes each way so I turned to audio books almost from day one. I really enjoy them and now have quite the library.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/02/16 10:00 PM

HRH, my commute is 40 minutes each way. I've tried audio books a few times before. Unfortunately, I can't seem to enjoy them quite as much. But I do a lot -- A LOT -- of backward reading...if I read something that references an earlier part of the book, I often go back and reread that section, maybe that's why I can't do the audio book thing?

More likely, it has to do with the fact that I can't even listen to the radio on the way to/from work or in the car in general. It drives my wife crazy!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/03/16 03:34 AM

Nothing to Lose by Lee Child
Posted By: swiggles

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/04/16 03:14 PM

If you're looking for a good enlightening Christian book that you will want to read more than once, read "If" by Mark Batterson. I have to read a chapter and let it soak in my brain before moving on to the next chapter. I think it will be possible to pick up something new with every read.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 01:36 PM

11/22/63 - I started reading it only to remember that I had made the attempt when it was first published. At that time, I found it tedious. That impression was refined a little bit this time; it would have been a better read if about a third of it was edited out. It's a door stopper of a book and reading it qualifies as an investment.

The Short Drop - Very good beach read, but there will be no Pulitzer

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 02:34 PM

Almost exactly what my daughter said! She wanted to enjoy it, but just didn't. And so, I haven't picked it up either.

Very excited about your recommendation of "One child......"

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 03:20 PM

Lucifer Gospel - Paul Christopher...entertaining so far

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By burkemi
HRH, my commute is 40 minutes each way. I've tried audio books a few times before. Unfortunately, I can't seem to enjoy them quite as much. But I do a lot -- A LOT -- of backward reading...if I read something that references an earlier part of the book, I often go back and reread that section, maybe that's why I can't do the audio book thing?

More likely, it has to do with the fact that I can't even listen to the radio on the way to/from work or in the car in general. It drives my wife crazy!

I've found some that I just can't do. Others I will listen to more than once. I'm always on the lookout to pick them up at Sam's or Tuesday Mornings or Amazon or book stores that sell them used...

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 06:05 PM

The narrator makes a huge difference. I've quit listening to at least one because the narrator's voice set my teeth on edge.

I subscribe to Audible, rather than actually buying CDs, etc.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 06:09 PM

Trust No One - Jayne Ann Krentz
Posted By: Y'all Comply

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 07:06 PM

Hidden Bodies - Caroline Kepnes
Posted By: Cape Codder

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By HRH Okie Banker
Good one!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/14/16 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By Cape Codder
Good one!

Good. Thanks. Just downloaded it last night.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/15/16 12:46 PM

11/22/63 - I started reading it only to remember that I had made the attempt when it was first published. At that time, I found it tedious. That impression was refined a little bit this time; it would have been a better read if about a third of it was edited out. It's a door stopper of a book and reading it qualifies as an investment.

The Short Drop - Very good beach read, but there will be no Pulitzer

I'm listening to 11/22/63 during my commute and I really like the book. I tend to find Stephen King long winded when I am reading his books but on a long drive, I don't mind as much.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/17/16 02:43 PM

One Second After by William R. Forstchen.
Posted By: OldeTymeBanker

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/23/16 03:52 PM

Thanks for the recommendation on One Second After. Just started reading it and quickly discovered that bedtime was not the best time to start, as it is difficult to put down and go to sleep.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/23/16 04:13 PM

I'm trying really hard not to stock pile canned goods.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/23/16 04:38 PM

Still struggling through John Grisham's Sycamore Row . . .
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/23/16 04:55 PM

One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

This looks very interesting. Sounds similar to 77 Days in September by Ray Gorham.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/24/16 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By cheekEE
I'm listening to 11/22/63 during my commute and I really like the book. I tend to find Stephen King long winded when I am reading his books but on a long drive, I don't mind as much.

King does get long winded and pretty often. But that's part of what I like about his books. That, and his writing is generally pretty straight forward, maybe weird, but straight forward.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 03/24/16 05:37 PM

Listening to "Redshirts" by John Scalzi. Made immeasurably funnier by the fact that it's narrated by Wil Wheaton.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/04/16 07:20 PM

I've almost made it through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not the easiest read (a lot characters) but I like the story very much. You can't go wrong with a mystery. smile

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/04/16 07:22 PM

I've almost made it through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not the easiest read (a lot characters) but I like the story very much. You can't go wrong with a mystery. smile
Posted By: Cheli

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/04/16 08:26 PM

I finished O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln last fall, and just finished Killing Jesus...the research is amazing...will definitely have to read Killing Kennedy, Reagan, and Patton.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/04/16 09:19 PM

Trust No One - Jayne Ann Krentz This was a good one and so was 11/22/63.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 12:32 PM

FINALLY finished Sycamore Row. While it came around at the end, I don't think I'll read another John Grisham novel. He writes well, but it just seems to take too long to get to the plot.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By Cheli
I finished O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln last fall, and just finished Killing Jesus...the research is amazing...will definitely have to read Killing Kennedy, Reagan, and Patton.
After hearing from the grandson of George S. Patton (a flying buddy of mine) about how much of the Killing Patton book was bunk and that he didn't contact anyone in the family in researching, it called into question for me some of the research integrity of the others.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 01:42 PM

I am sure that getting facts straight and accuracy of reporting them would just mess with the flow of the book. smile

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 02:03 PM

Zombie Fallout #6.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 03:06 PM

I would really like to read The Walking Dead graphic novels but probably will not. frown

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 03:17 PM

not reading a dang thing at the moment...last 3 books I've started I have not finished...just not in a reading mood.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 03:19 PM

SpongeBob and the Princess

David Lewman
Posted By: Cheli

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 08:20 PM

Really? Oh, that is so disappointing to hear!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 08:31 PM

I read a page my daughter reads a page and she picked it out. From what I hear most parents do not read with their children. I do not think that the killing ______ would be appropriate for a 7 year old. especially since it is not historically accurate.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/05/16 11:17 PM

Just finished Come Rain or Come Shine by Jan Karon. I so love her Mitford books and I finished this one in two days.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/06/16 12:04 AM

The Walking Dead Compendium 3.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/06/16 02:35 PM

The Walking Dead Compendium 3.

Nice, I will be starting that once I finish the last Odd Thomas book (haven't started that yet either, reading Deeply Odd right now)

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/06/16 02:49 PM

Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag

Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
Posted By: Hoosierland

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/06/16 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By OldTymeBanker
Just finished Come Rain or Come Shine by Jan Karon. I so love her Mitford books and I finished this one in two days.

I just read this one and the preceding book in the last month. Loved them both. I would really like to re-read this series from the beginning, but I don't have time to read all the new stuff I'd like to read, let alone to revisit old favorites!
Posted By: SoftballMom33

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/06/16 04:40 PM

I am currently reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.. lengthy but great read so far!
Posted By: SoftballMom33

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/06/16 04:40 PM

Where are the 'like' buttons on here? smile
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/06/16 04:59 PM

"Like" button is disguised as a red X in the upper right corner of your screen wink

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/06/16 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By SoftballMom33
I am currently reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.. lengthy but great read so far!

I enjoyed this book, too.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/07/16 12:05 PM

I've heard several good recommendations from friends, so next on my reading list is "Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus" by Nabeel Qureshi.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/11/16 05:14 PM

Just finished Go Set A Watchman. That was not an easy read. Maybe I should have re-read To Kill A Mockingbird first.

My daughter has been after me for years to read the Outlander series, so I started last night. Definitely a changeup from the last book.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/11/16 05:35 PM

OldTyme - I did re-read To Kill A Mockingbird first and it was still a difficult - and not so fun - read.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 04/11/16 05:44 PM

I did re-read To Kill A Mockingbird first and it was still a difficult

almost as if two different people wrote them?

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/02/16 04:50 PM

Started reading the Kate Reid series by Robin Mahle on Kindle Unlimited. I don't know how realistic some of the law enforcement work is, but it is quick entertainment for when I don't want to think too deeply. Like during an election year.
Posted By: Naise

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/02/16 06:21 PM

I read Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff recently. I panicked at first because I had been doing really easy reads (e.g. Girl on the ((a? the? with?? tattooed?? gone?)) Train, Lust and Wonder ((Augsteen Burroughs)) ), and the language was way more complex than what I was used to... I honestly thought I had read myself stupid. Anyway, it was a really, really great book. Fates and Furies
Posted By: Naise

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/02/16 06:23 PM

*more complex than to what I was used. smile Slowly coming out of it. Also just finished a Camus book so the brain is making wrinkles again.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/02/16 06:56 PM

I know those Outlander novels are extremely popular, but a friend lent my wife the first one, and I thought I'd try it. I got about 60 pages in and quit. I thought it was garbage. There was nothing appealing about the simplistic writing and the plot was no more than a trashy romance. I'm surprised it didn't have Fabio on the cover.
Posted By: basilring

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/02/16 07:18 PM

I'm not normally a self-help book kind of person, but a friend recommended You are a Bada** by Jen Sincero. Just barely into it, but so far, gotta say it's hitting some good points.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/02/16 08:25 PM

1929 by M.L. Gardner.. was so good on to the next one. Until I read the reviews and it said to read book 3 called 1930 before book 2. why would an author write a series and put a completely different story in between? I am reading book 3 now and it starts off right where book 1 left off. Weird. good books though.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/02/16 11:17 PM

Peach, I am going to check those books out. I see that the author did not recommend reading them out of order, so I don't think I will either. I follow this thread just for recommendations like this.
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/04/16 01:08 PM

Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/04/16 08:08 PM

I started reading 1930 and it does take up right where the 1929 left off. We will see if a later plot twist gets me. lol
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/04/16 10:53 PM

Yeah, one year does tend to take up right where the previous year left off. whistle

(sorry; couldn't resist)

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 01:31 AM

Hammered by Kevin Hearne.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 12:27 PM

Personal by Lee Child.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 12:40 PM

The Patriot Threat - Steve Berry

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 01:42 PM

Gods of Guilt - Michael Connelly
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 04:12 PM

Actually I have 2 books I'm reading right now:

Upstairs
"Dead Wave: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania" by Erik Larson

Downstairs
"The Complete Father Brown Stories" by G.K. Chesterton
Posted By: Mr. E.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 04:43 PM

The 14th Colony - Steve Berry

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 05:21 PM

"Theft of Swords", Michael Sullivan
"Lies, Damned Lies, and History", Jodi Taylor

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 05:55 PM

I just started "Saint Odd" (the last Odd Thomas book) today at lunch. I might have to pick up the comics, I'm not sure I want this series to end ...
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By Mr. E.
The 14th Colony - Steve Berry

Will probably finish this one tonight.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 08:00 PM

Would love to hear what you think about "The 14th Colony". Have been thinking about getting it.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/11/16 08:07 PM

OTB or faster if you are older. lol

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/12/16 11:44 AM

If you are a fan of the series, it's a good one. Steve Berry is very clever about mixing historical facts with fiction. I've got about 100 pages left. The pace is picking up good now. Hoping for a strong finish!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/13/16 01:38 PM

"All the Light We Cannot See", Anthony Doerr

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/31/16 03:48 PM

Started reading David Baldacci's new 'The Last Mile' and was hooked instantly. The main character is a man named Amos Decker and this is the second book with Amos - 'Memory Man' being the first. I'm almost half way in and have a difficult time putting it down.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/31/16 03:51 PM

Finishing up Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods.' It's pretty good. Very, very weird....but good.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/31/16 05:31 PM

Our bank started a Women's Book Club this year. First we read Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg, then Leading Women with various contributors. Next up we have Road to Power by Laura Colby, which I have yet to start. It has been very interesting to attend the discussion meetings and hear not only everyone's reactions to the reading assignment, but also their personal stories.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/31/16 06:34 PM

Would you recommend these books for others? I could use a dose of woman power about now!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 05/31/16 07:28 PM

Finished Last week:
"Dead Wave: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania" by Erik Larson - excellent book. We hear so much of Titanic, but not much about the Lusitania.

Re-Read "Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Always refreshing and thought provoking.

Read " A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy" by Sue Klebold - still thinking about this book. It's both her apology and warning to the world that you can never know what is on someone's mind no matter how much you love them and think you know them.

Getting ready to start "Monsters" by Frank Peretti.

Trying to do more reading and less TV....

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 03:35 PM

I do recommend Lean In. I understand it is not for everyone, but much of what she says rings true. The other book was a little less meaningful to me, but the women who don't have children or partners said it spoke more to them. I just started Road to Power, so no opinion on that. I love the fact that our bank has implemented this for our female executives, and it is completely optional. I am hoping that next year we take it down a level so that it is targeted to those earlier in their careers.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 03:37 PM

Lean In was just recommended to me and I will be reading it next.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 03:39 PM

waldensouth... each of your books sound intriguing. I must check those out!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 05:30 PM

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown.
Posted By: ATLbanker

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 05:54 PM

I like reading Frank Peretti. He can scare you.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 06:13 PM

just finished "The English Spy" by Daniel Silva and looking for my next read...
Posted By: John Burnett

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 06:51 PM

Silva has a number of books in the Gabriel Allon series; he has another coming out in July (one a year).

I just finished reading The Bloody Ground, the fourth in the Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles series by Bernard Cornwell. The four books are historical novels of the Civil War. Cornwell is a British author who's lived in the U.S. for years, currently just down the road 25 miles or so here on Cape Cod. His ability to depict the anxiety, horror and visceral "high" of battle scenes is amazing, whether he's writing about the War Between the States or the Anglo-Saxon conflicts of medieval England.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 07:38 PM

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown.

Still on my "TO READ" list.

I will be spending my summer getting my children through their summer reading lists. The only way the 10yo (boy) will make it through "Heidi" is if we do it together.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 09:27 PM

I feel for you on that.....one year I suffered through Great Expectations just to make sure my son read it. I know, I know, a great classic, blah, blah, blah. I hated it as much as he did, even though I couldn't say so to him.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/01/16 10:05 PM

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to Heidi. However, another one on his list is The Hobbit - I AM looking forward to sharing that with him!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/02/16 04:48 PM

I only wish The Hobbit had been on my son's reading list!
Posted By: Banker Drysdale

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/02/16 08:24 PM

About to finish Memory Man, the first Amos Decker book from David Baldacci

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/02/16 08:36 PM

Just downloaded Memory Man on my audiobook app. I'll start it on the way home. Can't wait.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/02/16 08:53 PM

Rereading Pride and Prejudice.
Posted By: Shellfish

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/02/16 09:01 PM

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books. I just finished Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld which is a modern spin on Pride and Prejudice. I loved it- a fun read.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/02/16 09:07 PM

FYI - Memory Man is good; however the second one I'm reading 'Last Man Standing' is better (IMHO). Can't wait to read before going to bed every night and it's been quite awhile since I felt that way about a book.
Posted By: WIBanker91

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/06/16 07:53 PM

Listening to Beneath the night tree, need to pick something new up tonight. Reading, Touched by angels.
Posted By: swiggles

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/07/16 07:41 PM

The Grave Robber, by Mark Batterson.....

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/08/16 07:41 PM

Just finished Crucial Conversations for a training class. It is good training if your company is looking for something along these lines.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/08/16 07:53 PM

My book group just finished reading Bees. Everyone loved the book!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/08/16 08:21 PM

Just finished Last Man Standing and LOVED it.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/08/16 09:51 PM

The Anatomy of a Bathroom Mat - Peepers

It's not really that good, but I'm already two pages into it.
Posted By: BBoyd

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/09/16 05:44 PM

Following Atticus - about a man and his friend, who happens to be a dog.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/09/16 05:53 PM

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/09/16 06:16 PM

Hard Magic by Larry Correia.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/09/16 06:29 PM

The Escape - Baldacci

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/09/16 06:35 PM

I'm re-reading 'Dead Zone' by Stephen King. 11/22/63 is next on the agenda.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/21/16 06:12 PM

For a lighthearted read and a few chuckles I recommend 'Flannel Gowns and Granny Panties."

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/21/16 06:20 PM

"The Nightengale" by Kristin Hannah. It's about the French living under German occupation in WW2, but also about the evolving relationship between two sisters who cope with the war in very different ways.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/21/16 06:27 PM

Piranha (A Novel of the Oregon Files) by Clive Cussler.

"During a covert operation, Cabrillo and the crew meticulously fake the sinking of the Oregon—but when an unknown adversary tracks them down despite their planning and attempts to assassinate them, Cabrillo and his team struggle to fight back against an enemy who seems to be able to anticipate their every move. They discover that a traitorous American weapons designer has completed the German scientist’s work, and now wields extraordinary power, sending the Oregon on a race against time to stop an attack that could lead to one man ruling over the largest empire the world has ever known."

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/22/16 05:44 PM

I read The Nightingale also. If you enjoy that one you might also read The Winter Garden, by same author. Same sort of historical subject matter.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/22/16 07:45 PM

11/23/63- good book but soooo long.
Posted By: trout22

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/22/16 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
The Escape - Baldacci

Just picked this one up yesterday!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/22/16 07:56 PM

FFIEC

IT exam handbook sleep sleep sleep

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/22/16 07:59 PM

The Escape was a good book. Love Baldacci.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/22/16 08:00 PM

Love Baldacci

can he freshen up the IT handbook

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/22/16 08:46 PM

Ditto on the Baldacci

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/22/16 09:05 PM

just finished "The Stranger" by Harlan Coben, and it sure threw me for a loop with the ending...I like his stuff, but sure wish he would put out another Myron Bolitar book
Posted By: Just Jean

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/23/16 09:31 PM

I watch Fr. Brown on PBS. Never thought to look for books at the library.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/23/16 09:33 PM

Maise Dobbs mysteries. Serious reading regarding The Great War. Maise's character is a nurse survivor.
Posted By: DeeQ

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/24/16 11:46 AM

Killing the Boss - Brian Pinkerton

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/27/16 05:06 PM

Started 'The Girl In The Spider's Web.' I was a bit hesitant to come back to this series with a new author in place, but it feels exactly the same. Such interesting characters.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 06/30/16 08:28 PM

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters In The End Anyone who's ever dealt with or anticipates dealing with the end of life should read it.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/05/16 05:28 PM

League of Dragons by Naomi Novik.
Posted By: justsayjulie

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/14/16 04:39 PM

Currently reading "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption" by Laura Hillenbrand.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/14/16 05:18 PM

Unbroken is a fabulous book!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/14/16 05:31 PM

Loved Unbroken. I'm currently reading Dead Wake by Erik Larson.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/14/16 05:34 PM

FFIEC IT handbook. Pondering If Steven King can do something to put some life into the document.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/14/16 08:41 PM

Loved "Unbroken" and "Dead Wake".

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/14/16 08:50 PM

The Enemy Inside - Steve Martini

not sure if I will finish, getting close to page 100 and my interest is not piqued...my rule is if I get to page 100 and not into it, then off it goes...

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/15/16 03:40 PM

I just started the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/15/16 05:27 PM

"City of Bones" (#8 of 18 'Harry Bosch' novels). On occasion I'll binge read a series that focuses on an individual; e.g. Jack Reacher, Mitch Rapp (original author only), Jack Ryan, etc. At some point I tire of the invincible hero. (In the case of Reacher, the plots got ridiculous.) However, in this series I would have to say Connelly's writing and story telling have improved over the first 10 years of writing.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/15/16 05:34 PM

I've just decided to take on the Bosch series. I love Michael Connelly.

Right now I'm listening to (Norm) "People Who Eat Darkness." It's a true crime book about a young British woman who disappeared in the Hong Kong underworld in 2000. Interesting so far.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/15/16 06:14 PM

Ken - have to say that I was impressed with the author who continued the Mitch Rapp character, read just like Vince Flynn. You should give it a shot.

as much as I enjoy reading the Reacher novels, yeah, it is a bit much to swallow these days...

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/15/16 06:57 PM

I did try the new author... I kept thinking "I've read this paragraph before." He knows the formula, I just don't think he knows how to vary it.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/20/16 01:09 PM

A Conflict of Interest by Adam Mintz, very good read.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/20/16 01:53 PM

Enjoyed 11/22/63 very much and potentially answered some "what if?" questions if certain events had not occurred.

Currently listening to Fanny Flagg read her book "Standing in the Rainbow." All of her books (she wrote "Fried Green Tomatoes") are a hoot and a half.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/20/16 02:57 PM

Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream (Doris Kearns Goodwin). Really interesting so far.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/20/16 03:20 PM

I love Fannie Flagg and I have read everything she has written. If you like Standing in the Rainbow you will also like The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/20/16 03:48 PM

Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz Koontz's usual creepy can't figure it out til the end.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/20/16 03:57 PM

That one was great, too! I've read them all now, I think.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/21/16 12:20 PM

Just started 11/22/63.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/21/16 12:24 PM

11/2//63

That was the day that J. D. Tippit was murdered.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 07/21/16 12:29 PM

Aldous Huxley also died on that date

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/03/16 11:45 PM

Just finished Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen. Her characters ring so true. Her subjects are seldom light and breezy, but she can weave a tale.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/04/16 03:43 PM

Just started The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/04/16 03:52 PM

Ooh, that sounds like a good one.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/04/16 03:56 PM

The Killing Floor by Lee Child

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/04/16 04:12 PM

Finished Riyira Chronicles by Michael Sullivan - LOVED. The ending was especially satisfying.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/04/16 04:28 PM

Finally finished 11/22/63, interesting end.
Posted By: Complycated

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/05/16 01:30 PM

I loved these!!!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/05/16 04:48 PM

There are 2 Authors that I will drop everything to read. Michael Connelly and Daniel Silva. Finished Daniel Silva's latest Gabriel Allon. Excellent read. I gave up on Jack Reacher about 3 books ago.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/10/16 05:47 PM

Just started The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

This was so good that I inhaled the entire trilogy. Historical romance set in the early 1900's about three sisters and glassblowing in Germany. I would recommend. The writing style really appealed to me.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/11/16 01:13 PM

I'm on Book 3 of the "trilogy in 5 parts" that is "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/11/16 02:32 PM

Anyone read Lilac Girls: A Novel?

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/11/16 04:09 PM

The List- Steve Martini
Posted By: Tabbetha, CRCM

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/11/16 05:25 PM

I'm listening to an audio book series, Alaskan Courage, by Dani Pettrey. I love mysteries. You have to when you work in compliance, right?

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/11/16 06:15 PM

Rule of Nine - Steve Martini

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/12/16 05:31 PM

The Wiregrass by Pam Webber

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/12/16 06:05 PM

Just finished The Last Mile by David Baldacci

Just started Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/12/16 06:42 PM

LOVED The Last Mile, TMatt.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/23/16 04:38 PM

'After You' by Jojo Moyes. If 'Me Before You' grabbed you then this one is a must read.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/23/16 04:55 PM

Just started the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connolly. The first book "The Black Echo" was written in 1992, so it's definitely dated, but is good so far.
Posted By: Iowa Compliance Gal

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/23/16 05:04 PM

Just finished See Me by Nicholas Sparks, good book with suspense I could not put it down.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/23/16 05:25 PM

I've just started Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. It's testing the limits of my understanding of math (which is slim) and my vocabulary. There are two plots, one about codebreakers in WW2, and another which appears to be centered on the development of internet based communication in the Philippines in the 1990s. It's a monster of a book, but really well written.

A side note of trivia: My son spent two years in Korea, 2009 and 2010, teaching English. He brought this book home from there. He left dozens of books behind, but brought this one back. I forgot about it until I found it the back of a bottom dresser drawer last week. A stamp in the front shows that it was once sold by a bookstore in Viet Nam. A well traveled book.

My bookmarks are an expired Korean debit card, a grocery store rewards card, a prepaid internet card, and a stamp card from a sandwich shop (buy 10 get one free.) My son was only two stamps away from a sandwich when he left.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/23/16 06:25 PM

Just started listening to the newest Jeffrey Archer "Clifton Chronicles". Love Jeffrey Archer.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/23/16 07:30 PM

"The Long Journey to Jake Palmers" by James L. Rubart

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 08/23/16 07:47 PM

~A side note of trivia: My son spent two years in Korea, 2009 and 2010, teaching English. ~

I teach English here with an In Home ESL program. The most rewarding volunteering I have ever done. You start to see immediate results. And I sometimes use our old Dr. Seuss reading books for training materials.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/21/16 02:07 PM

Speaking in Bones by Kathy Reichs

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/21/16 02:19 PM

That sounds interesting, Dazed. Now that I'm almost through the 'Bones' series on Netflix I might like to read one of hers.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/21/16 04:38 PM

Chi Running

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/21/16 05:22 PM

Nathan's Run by John Gilstrap - just finished. Reading No Mercy, same author

One of his books, Six Minutes to Freedom, is being made into a movie and is based on a true story. He writes well - along the genre of Grisham - with excellent intrigue. Recommend!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/21/16 07:54 PM

David Baldacci is coming out with his next John Puller book in November. I'll definitely be getting that when it's released.
Posted By: dottiec

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/21/16 08:35 PM

Daniel Silva's The Fallen Angel
Posted By: PATSGirl74

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/22/16 06:00 PM

my BF just finished Ready Player One and has been raving about it. Futuristic sci-fi, video game setting with mega 1980's references. Already being filmed with Speilberg directing and John Williams doing the score

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/30/16 03:11 PM

I *loved* Ready Player One. If you listen to the audiobook, Wil Wheaton is the narrator. grin About the only person I think might have been better would be Matthew Broderick.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/30/16 04:12 PM

Just finished Clive Cussler's "Pirate" - thinking about reading "Ben Hur" - have seen the move many times over the years but never read the book.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/30/16 05:03 PM

Just started "Presumed Innocent" by Scott Turow on audiobook. Can't decide if I don't care for the story or the reader. That's the only downside to audio books. Think I'll give it another chapter and then move on to something else. I've got a long list!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/30/16 05:23 PM

I'm reading Girl on a Train again.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/30/16 05:35 PM

Hopefully it washes off.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/30/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By cheekEE
I'm reading Girl on a Train again.

I may re-read this before seeing the movie.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 09/30/16 09:18 PM

I very much enjoyed Girl on a Train and am looking forward to seeing the movie.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/01/16 03:03 PM

"Black Flags - The Rise of Isis" My pre-reading assessment was "Geeze, it's going to be a painful read with lots of names of people and places I can't pronounce." The Pulitzer Prize tipped the scale in favor of making an attempt. It's very well written and, while having Google Maps a click away is helpful, it is possible to follow along and, perhaps, gain some insight into the backstory beyond tomorrow's front page.
Posted By: MScarn6942

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/01/16 04:48 PM

I'm reading "Quiet Strength" by Tony Dungy and starting "Counting the Days While My Mind Slips Away" by Ben Utecht (can you tell I'm a Colts fan?)

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/11/16 03:56 PM

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/11/16 04:23 PM

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

I liked that one!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/11/16 10:45 PM

My son got my hubby to read American Gods. He wanted to read it before the series starts. They both enjoyed it.

I am reading Dune Road by Jane Green. Always enjoy her books.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/12/16 09:45 PM

Dick Francis (Felix) - "Front Runner"

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/13/16 06:08 PM

Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/14/16 03:11 PM

The Martian - Andy Weir

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/14/16 03:31 PM

Interference, by Amelie Antoine. So far, I'm enjoying the story.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/15/16 12:38 PM

"Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance The story of man born in eastern Kentucky who, like many others, emigrated to southern Ohio with his family as a child, but remained bound by the culture, good and bad, of his ancestors. He walked the razor's edge, but eventually went to college and graduated from Yale Law School. What you clearly come to understand is that his success was not inevitable and the alternate endings endured by his contemporaries were seriously depressing. It's a good, thought provoking read, more than just a personal anecdote.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/15/16 03:00 PM

You are becoming one of my go-to's for a next book, Ken. Thanks for putting this one on my radar.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/18/16 07:06 PM

The Gunslinger by Stephen King.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/18/16 07:13 PM

good series, I need to re-read it

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/18/16 07:17 PM

I just started the first book in the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne. Pretty good so far!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/18/16 07:54 PM

I am reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini for about the 100th time!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/18/16 07:55 PM

We're about halfway through Eldest as bedtime reading for my kiddo. smile
Posted By: NotDoneYet

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/18/16 07:56 PM

Grit to Great. A short read but a motivator.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/18/16 10:15 PM

Our women's book club at work is reading Women Who Don't Wait in Line by Reshma Saujani. I enjoyed her as a speaker, but the book is a little slow going for me.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/19/16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By RR Becca

We're about halfway through Eldest as bedtime reading for my kiddo. smile

This is one of my favorite series. How is the kiddo liking the books?

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/19/16 01:55 PM

He's two, so I really don't know. grin Our routine is to read one or two silly books (Llama Llama, Dr. Suess, Thomas the Train, etc.) in the rocking chair before bed, then I read him to sleep from some thing a little more advanced. We've done The Hobbit, Wind in the Willows, Treasure Island, a couple of Harry Potters, all of the Narnia books, Eragon, and now we're working on Eldest.

Honestly, it's really more because there's only so many times in a row I can read Fox in Sox without going screaming insane.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/19/16 02:56 PM

laugh!

::making a note about Paolini...I need some new reading material for when the grand is at my house! smile

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/19/16 03:07 PM

there's only so many times in a row I can read Fox in Sox without going screaming insane.

I understand completely! I have a 2 year old daughter and she wears me out on Dr. Suess' Foot Book and another book called "We're the Small Potatoes." We read, reread, then reread again - over and over......ohhhh how I now loathe those books! But I'll keep on reading as long as she'll sit in my lap and let me.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/19/16 03:39 PM

I don't use the Seuss type books that have nonsensical language in them for my ESL students, but we have used some similar books, which have been great. Are You My Mother?, Go,Dog,Go, and A Fly Went By. They are pretty much exactly the right reading level for my students, and will still pop in a word or two that I need to explain, which is beneficial. But reading books with words like Lorax, etc. is not really helpful for learning English at this point. I think for children they are fun, but I really need the actual language my students will hear.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/19/16 04:19 PM

Are You My Mother? was one of my favorite books for my Grammy to read to me as a child. smile My daughter and I were cleaning out her closet and found a book that her dad read to her when she was small. Memories.
Posted By: Buddy the Elf

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/19/16 06:47 PM

Oh, you are not my Mother. You are a Snort!

Loved that book!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/20/16 05:14 PM

Just finished Me before You. It is a good read.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/21/16 03:36 PM

My book club just read The Forgetting Time - very interesting fictional book with real world research worked in on the topic of reincarnation and children. Cool thought provoking book for sure.

Not as excited about the next book for Club ... Girls and Sex - Navigating the Complicated New Landscape. About raising teen / tween girls today I think .... Ummmm not so sure & we are raising an 8 and 11 yr old boy so I think our own set of issues shall be arising in its own time. Dunno will let ya know

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/21/16 05:12 PM

I heard Terri Gross interview the author of Girls and Sex and it made me really want to read the book - I don't have kids but it certainly got me thinking about my own life experience and what has and hasn't changed.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/22/16 01:57 PM

I just started the first book in the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne. Pretty good so far!

I like this series, esp Oberon. I am not as fond of the love interest (whom I call Frog Girl b/c her name reminds me of the word for frog in French.)

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 10/22/16 01:59 PM

I thought these were pretty derivative. You could tell he was young when he wrote them and pretty much what he'd been reading / watching as he worked through the series.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/01/16 06:53 PM

I finished reading Girl on the Train. (Second attempt.) I liked it about as much as I liked "Gone Girl," which is to say I hated it. (Weak and whiny characters are annoying.) Resolution: Never read another book with the word "girl" in the title. wink

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/01/16 07:03 PM

Just finished the North and South Trilogy by John Jakes. Great book.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/04/16 07:44 PM

I finished reading Girl on the Train. (Second attempt.) I liked it about as much as I liked "Gone Girl," which is to say I hated it. (Weak and whiny characters are annoying.) Resolution: Never read another book with the word "girl" in the title. wink

Not even Girl with the Dragon Tattoo??

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/07/16 10:23 AM

Exception noted! Lisbeth was kinda kinky, but anything other than weak or whiny. Good book. Read the trilogy. Good movie too.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/07/16 03:20 PM

Blood Lines by Angela Marsons. She is my new favorite author, and I love D.I. Kim Stone!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/07/16 03:25 PM

We have a management book club and we are currently reading Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. The book has been ok - part of this may be that we covering each section (the book had 3 'parts') about a month apart. That's too slow for me :-)

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/08/16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By E.E.G.B

Not even Girl with the Dragon Tattoo??

Agreed. And I thought I was the only one that read and disliked Girl on the Train.

I am in need of my next read and need to spend some time in this thread figuring out what it will be. I have come to the realization that I will forever rely on book recommendations! I have never been able to just pick a book.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/08/16 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By E.E.G.B

I thought these were pretty derivative. You could tell he was young when he wrote them and pretty much what he'd been reading / watching as he worked through the series.

That he was so young when Eragon was written makes it all the more impressive, IMO. I've heard the arguments that his works are nothing more than borrowed elements from other works, etc; but then, aren't all works of fiction? Once, untold years ago, someone scripted the very first love epic, the first thriller, the first sci-fi, the first suspense, etc., etc., etc. All other books written within those genres are, to a more or less degree, derivative of that specific genre.

In either case - I greatly enjoy the series. Much, much better than the ghastly movie 'they' wrongly titled Eragon!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/08/16 04:09 PM

The Gunslinger by Stephen King.

Excellent series. I read it for the first time late last year/early this year.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/08/16 10:23 PM

Started reading "Citizen Soldiers" by Stephen Ambrose last night, and had trouble putting it down. It follows the American GIs from June 7, 1944 to the war's end. I really enjoyed his book, Band of Brothers, and this one is just as interesting. When I told my wife what I was reading she laughed and rolled her eyes, so I guess historical, military non-fiction isn't for everyone.
Posted By: luvs2trvl

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/08/16 10:44 PM

thanks MyBrainHurts. I love WWII novels and have been looking for a new one.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 02:07 PM

Treasure Island. grin I enjoyed reading it for a second time, a half century (actually, a bit more than that) after the first. (There's lots of great stuff that is "free" on the Kindle.)
Posted By: Portermi, CRCM

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 04:20 PM

The Shining. Amazing how he portrays these people lose their grip on reality. Not a fan of the huge number of internal monologues but I understand the necessity.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 04:24 PM

That is a very good book. I have read it many times in my life. The first time I read that (and also It by Stephen King) one summer - I believe around 13 or 14 - and my room was in the basement of a split level home with a patio door out to the back yard, in a neighborhood out in the country - so it was pitch black out there. That summer began my love of Stephen King books....

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 04:26 PM

Now that I think about it, that is when my insomnia issues started too. Still have it bad 30+ years later. Hmmm.....

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 04:30 PM

I have read the Gunslinger series, Green Mile, The Stand and a couple others. I have IT but haven't read it yet but will probably be my next read. I can imagine your reading place could have led to your sleep issues, I would have been terrified at that age in complete darkness. All the while reading these books. Lol

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 05:27 PM

The Tommyknockers, From a Buick 8, Lisey's Story, The Stand, Under the Dome, Deloris Claiborne......many more. It is very difficult to beat a Stephen King book. I've read many of his books and have enjoyed them all; except Carrie, never did care for it.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 06:06 PM

Pet Semetary, Misery, etc. The Stand is my all-time favorite book and I've read it several times. Loved The Mist, but didn't like the ending of the movie.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 06:16 PM

I *still* check my back seat before getting into the car thanks to Gerald's Game.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/09/16 06:19 PM

Pet Semetary, Misery, etc. The Stand is my all-time favorite book and I've read it several times. Loved The Mist, but didn't like the ending of the movie.

I don't know if I can say The Stand is my all-time favorite, but it definitely ranks high on my list; and is certainly on the top of my list of favorite Stephen King books.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/14/16 03:44 PM

Needful Things, Stephen King.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/14/16 04:12 PM

I really enjoyed Needful Things - King shows some real insight into human nature!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/14/16 05:43 PM

The Story Teller - Jodi Picault

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/16/16 09:07 PM

‘Being Mortal,’ by Atul Gawande

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/16/16 09:20 PM

Prince of Risk by Christopher Reich. It's a financial thriller/mystery. I'm about 1/3 through it and it's really starting to pick up a faster pace.
Posted By: Trees

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/16/16 09:27 PM

Our book club recently finished The Man called Ove. A real treat. There were passages that made me laugh out loud. I haven't enjoyed such a good book in a long time.

We're reading Orphan Train. I thought it would be a real downer but there is enough of a sub story to enjoy it. Plus, it provides a glimpse of a period of our history that isn't addressed very much.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/16/16 09:29 PM

FYI, There's an Orphan Train Museum in Concordia, Kansas. I haven't been there but I've heard it's really good if you're ever in that quarter of the prairie.
Posted By: BookWormGirl

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 02:10 PM

Re-reading Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea and Capote's In Cold Blood. My background in English Lit means I'm always a sucker for the classics. With our weather cooling off (finally), it's become perfect "tea and a book" time!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 02:39 PM

The anniversary of the Clutter family murders was this past week.
Posted By: BookWormGirl

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 02:50 PM

I saw an article about that online somewhere; it's what prompted me to pull the book off the shelf actually. smile

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 07:06 PM

Last Man Standing - David Baldacci's new book in the John Puller series. Just started last night.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 07:13 PM

The Pact - another Picoult

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 07:20 PM

Last Man Standing - David Baldacci's new book in the John Puller series. Just started last night.

Let me know what you think. I've been trying to decide whether to buy it now or wait 6 months to a year until the price drops a bit. Hardcover books are so expensive these days.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 07:28 PM

I've read In Cold Blood amd found it interesting.

I am currently reading Hag Seed bt Margaret Atwood.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 07:36 PM

TMatt - I buy them on my Kindle so it's a little cheaper; but I'll let you know when I'm done and what I think. I really like Baldacci's characters - John Puller, Will Robie, Amos Decker.
Posted By: peony

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/17/16 09:29 PM

Freddie Mercury's biography comes out next Tuesday - Not sure if it will be worth the read.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/22/16 09:32 PM

Loved Needful Things until the end. Hated the ending.

A good read for you music fans is Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana. Very good look at the band from off stage.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/28/16 03:00 PM

All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/29/16 04:58 PM

I recently finished A Man Called Ove. It was one of the best I have read in awhile.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/29/16 05:25 PM

Steel Kiss by Jeffery Deaver - the latest Lincoln Rhyme novel.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/29/16 05:32 PM

The Key to Rebecca-Ken Follett

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/29/16 07:19 PM

The Devil's Work, by Mark Edward. I'm 65% through and it's pretty good.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/30/16 12:53 AM

I have switched to fluffy little Christmas books for a bit. I will confess that a couple have been too silly to even continue reading, but once in a while I come across a little gem. I have several on my Kindle that I previously downloaded for free, or a bundle for 0.99.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 11/30/16 03:36 PM

Finished a Clive Cussler book.

Piranha - A novel of the Oregon Files - great series!

Still working on Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor - been reading this one on and off for at least three years.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/08/16 04:50 PM

Agreed, Cruise is a poor choice.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/08/16 04:54 PM

Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut. It was recommended to me while I was in Mexico, and I'm enjoying it!
Posted By: Banker Drysdale

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/08/16 08:24 PM

I just finished a trio from some of my favorite authors - -

Night School - Lee Child
The Wrong Side of Goodbye - Michael Connelly
The Whistler - John Grisham

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/09/16 04:04 PM

The Civil War, Shelby Foote, Volume I. I've read it before and know how it turns out, but Foote's writing makes it real, makes it personal.

Best civil war book ever: Killer Angels.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/09/16 04:11 PM

Ken, you are so right! Shelby Foote's books on the Civil War are the best!
Posted By: #12

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/12/16 02:15 PM

For a pretty good Civil War book, try Imperfect Union by Chuck Raasch.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/12/16 04:22 PM

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/13/16 05:54 PM

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer.

Just got that one for my birthday - hilarious. She is a hoot

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/21/16 06:49 PM

Half Way Home by Hugh Howey

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/21/16 09:19 PM

Currently reading three(one for work):

Love Does by Bob Goff
The Three-Box Solution by Vijay Govindarajan
The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy (for the 6th time) - if you ever wondered what it's like going to a military college, this book is a must read.

Up next, another for work:
Engage with Honor by Lee Ellis

And another for personal:
Jonah: A Tale of Mercy by Jimmy Long (pastor of our church)

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/21/16 09:56 PM

I hope the new Fannie Flagg book, The Whole Town's Talking, is under my tree. My daughter is pretty good about remembering such things.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 12/21/16 10:00 PM

So well written. I am going to recommend this for 2017 book-group list. Husband did not like some of the reviews of the end so he is not going to read it yet. I will wait and see. The writing is so good, enjoying it.

Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 01/07/17 11:15 AM

Narconomics is $2.99 on Kindle this morning - I've heard good things about it and have had it on my wish list for a while.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/01/17 09:47 PM

The Sword of Shannara trilogy by Terry Brooks.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/01/17 10:52 PM

Burkemi, I really enjoyed that series. I just found out that they also have a tv show on the series that you can watch on Netflix.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/02/17 01:15 PM

I just bought Kathy Reichs first 'Temperence Brennan' book, 'Drop Dead Diva' . Not sure how this is going to go - it's written a little oddly. Short, choppy sentences, but since I've only read the first chapter hopefully it will improve.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/02/17 04:33 PM

The Bone Tree by Greg Iles. I have read all of his Penn Cage novels, but this one is slow going for me.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/02/17 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By RockChucker
Burkemi, I really enjoyed that series. I just found out that they also have a tv show on the series that you can watch on Netflix.

The TV show is actually how I found the books! So far I've enjoyed the first book, about halfway through. If you haven't watched the show, I recommend it. I can't say how well it follows the books' storyline, but still a good show!

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/02/17 05:10 PM

Just started listening to "Please Don't Tell" by Elizabeth Adler. So far, so good. I'm only a few chapters in.

I finished "Girl on the Train" this week as well. I had high hopes and thought it was a bit of a letdown. I wasn't shocked by what happened at the end. I will say it was a very well done audiobook. There were 3 separate women reading Rachel, Megan and Anna's parts. They were all very good and had distinctive voices without sounding fake. I enjoyed listening to them even though the story fell a bit short for me.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/07/17 08:16 PM

I just finished "The Martian" - what an amazing book! Andy Weir made all the technical aspects very accessible.

... and of course it was better than the movie ....
Posted By: MScarn6942

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/07/17 09:18 PM

I started "Too Politically Sensitive" which is pretty interesting. It's about two murders in Paris, IL, that were improperly investigated for political reasons.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/08/17 02:37 PM

Mark Tufo and Ben Aaronovitch have new books out in the Zombie Fallout and Peter Grant series, respectively. Both favorites of mine. Finished ZF10 yesterday and started Hanging Tree this morning.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/08/17 02:44 PM

I picked up a couple of reasonably priced fiction books from Amazon: "The Agincourt Bride" and "The Tudor Bride" that I am really enjoying about the Henry V era. I would buy from this author again, Joanna Hickson.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/08/17 02:49 PM

Just finished the first 4 Gray Man books by Mark Greaney...awaiting delivery of the next 2. wow, just wow...

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/08/17 04:50 PM

Happy, I just keep re-reading your post in the Private Cooler.

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/09/17 02:02 PM

First Strike - Ben Coes

Re: What are you reading? (2016) - 02/09/17 02:21 PM

I am reading a thread that asks what people are reading in 2016 and are answering what they are currently reading in 2017.