Firearm prohibition

Posted By: swiggles

Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 02:35 PM

Here in Texas, with a permit, it is legal for citizens to carry their handguns in plain sight. In a survey conducted by a Texas bankers' association, only 21% of the member banks surveyed intend to prohibit firearms inside the bank. And of that 21%, only 14% prohibit open carry....the other 7% allow concealed carry.

As it should be.
Posted By: noelekal

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 02:46 PM

No signs went up here. This west central Texas bank ended up giving a yawn to the whole open carry thing, the advent of which proved to be a bust of somewhat less than Y2K proportions, despite the big build-up by the media. Though the region is more pro-firearms than some areas, not one instance of open carry has been spotted in the bank lobby, or in town for that matter. No blood running in the streets. Well ... there was a squushed 'possum in the street out near the bypass.

Of course it's cool weather at present. Perhaps when the outer garments come off the pistolas will appear, but I doubt it.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 02:53 PM

OK enacted open carry a year or two ago. I've seen 1 person carrying and he was an off duty police officer judging by his appearance and general demeanor. No one has open carried in any of our branches.

We've chosen to not put up any signs in our TX branches. I just don't foresee it being an issue.
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 02:55 PM

Yikes, what is all that about? Common sense and letting people live their lives as they see fit? Surely that cannot be in today's ever-offended society.
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 03:40 PM

We have open carry laws, however, our bank will ask anyone with a firearm to leave the premises and return without the firearm. We have had a few instances where someone is carrying and we've asked them to leave their gun in their car while the come into the bank and they haven't had an issue with it. If someone were to refuse to leave, we would call the cops because they are trespassing, not because of the gun issue.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 03:53 PM

So what is the best open carry weapon of choice? I am sure there will be a difference between men and women, given hand strength and size.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 03:59 PM

I prefer a revolver. I just purchased a new 38.....not sure what it's made of.....not that savvy about guns....but it is real light weight and snub-nosed so not so big for my purse. Plus, now that we have open carry, I don't have to worry about opening my purse and someone spying it in there....though I really don't want ANYONE to see my firearm. That is an invitation to get knocked in the head for, not my purse, but my gun. My old 38..seems weighed 50 pounds.

Oh....and my new one is pink. wink
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By TMatt87
We have open carry laws, however, our bank will ask anyone with a firearm to leave the premises and return without the firearm. We have had a few instances where someone is carrying and we've asked them to leave their gun in their car while the come into the bank and they haven't had an issue with it. If someone were to refuse to leave, we would call the cops because they are trespassing, not because of the gun issue.

do you have signs up stating no weapons on premises or please leave your guns in your car when transacting business in the bank?
Posted By: Beagles22

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 04:18 PM

We used to post no weapons, but actually took the signs down due to insurance concerns....it was a huge issue when Wisconsin became a CC state.

Now personally, I have an awesome hot pink .380 that I do carry with the proper CC permit...
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 04:34 PM

I have a Ruger 9mm that I really like.
Posted By: ComplianceGuru89, CRCM

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 04:38 PM

Another good CC is the SCCY 9. Very small, light, and compact and won't break the bank either. I prefer my FNH9 but that's a little harder to conceal in the communist state of Illinois.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 04:40 PM

I'm still not comfortable with my semi (Bersa .380) because I've never shot it at the range....just prefer to carry my .38 revolver.....easy breezy.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 04:56 PM

I just put a Glock new gen model 19 9mm on layaway. I put it on layaway just to prove I can be disciplined...when I want to be. It will make a nice CC or OC gun.

If someone came in here and the gun was really cool...we'd probably all surround them and want to take a look! laugh!

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore

do you have signs up stating no weapons on premises or please leave your guns in your car when transacting business in the bank?

We don't have signs, we just train our personnel to be on the look out. If it's concealed, we are none the wiser, but we have some people who wear their six-shooters loud and proud. It's those people we ask to go put their guns in the car. The reason we do it is so customers and our front line staff don't feel threatened or frightened by seeing someone with a gun.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 05:13 PM

Smith and Wesson M&P Shield pistols are great carry guns. They also make a Bodyguard model in .380. I don't know why anyone would want to paint a target on themselves by open carrying. I am glad that concealed carry is an option where I live, I do have concerns about having people with no practical knowledge of defensive use of firearms carrying. Open carriers around here draw little attention from the general population - just saw someone in Wal-Mart this weekend open carrying.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By BeechFlyboy
I have a Ruger 9mm that I really like.

Agreed. The little bugger has some kick to it.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By Pale Rider
So what is the best open carry weapon of choice? I am sure there will be a difference between men and women, given hand strength and size.

Neither Mrs. noelekal or I are interested in open carry, preferring concealing side arms. As far as size goes, I prefer larger handguns with good ergonomics and some weight over excessively stunted ones that are too light and more difficult to properly grasp. Mrs. noelekal totes a Smith & Wesson Model 642 in her purse. It features an aluminum-alloy frame and is a lightweight variant of the ubiquitous Smith & Wesson all-steel J-Frame revolver. I'm not keen on the notion of purse carry but if one insists in carrying that way then the light weight is beneficial. The problem with the light weight .38 Special revolver is that shooting it with heavy self-defense type loads is somewhat like holding one's hand out to be swatted with a baseball bat. She shoots it well though. She's a petite gal and it fits her small hands better than it does mine.

She used to regularly tote a full-sized Colt Government Model .45 Automatic which she can shoot even better but that one weighs three times more than the Model 642.
Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 05:37 PM

I personally carry a Smith & Wesson M & P Shield 9MM with Hornady critical defense rounds. I tried several smaller sized pistols and revolvers but none of them fit right in my hand. I'm pretty particular about making sure it feels secure in my hand.

I can't carry at work, but when I'm not working, I carry concealed. I never carry it in my purse because I feel that a purse is an easy object for a thief to grab. I use a bright pink Kydex holster that fits really comfortably along my back.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 05:55 PM

Quote:
If someone were to refuse to leave, we would call the cops because they are trespassing, not because of the gun issue.

I don't understand how they would be trespassing if they're there to do bank business. So this WOULD be a gun issue, wouldn't it?

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 05:57 PM

Bright Pink but you can't see it. Kind of a shame really! I traded my son a S&W 36 Lite, which is an excellent revolver for a Walther P22, just because it's fun to shoot. BUT, decided I needed something somewhere between the .22 and a 12 gauge for CC. laugh!
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:01 PM

Pfeifer Zeliska 28mm Revolver?

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By edAudit
Pfeifer Zeliska 28mm Revolver?

Great for golf caddy cart carry.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:17 PM

I CC my Walther PPKs .380. I call it my James Bond gun.
My hubby likes the M&P Shield for me and is trying to convince me to carry it instead.

He carries a Kimber 1911 .45 with custom rosewood grips that I'm pretty sure he loves more than he loves me.

Our executive board room is affectionately called the "gun room" because it houses the CEO's personal hunting rifle collection. So yeah we're okay with guns in the bank.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By thomasj
Smith and Wesson Bodyguard model in .380.

had one and sold it, they make 9's about the same size as this .380, switched to Kimber Solo Carry 9mm, fits in the front pocket

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
I CC my Walther PPKs .380. I call it my James Bond gun.
My hubby likes the M&P Shield for me and is trying to convince me to carry it instead.

He carries a Kimber 1911 .45 with custom rosewood grips that I'm pretty sure he loves more than he loves me.

Our executive board room is affectionately called the "gun room" because it houses the CEO's personal hunting rifle collection. So yeah we're okay with guns in the bank.

Wasn't the bond gun was a Walther PPK. 7.65 mm?

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:41 PM

You might be right ed. Honestly I've never looked it up before but it definitely looks like the gun Pierce Brosnan carried when he was playing James Bond.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:46 PM

that was a roll of quarters

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:50 PM

They look almost identical to me!

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
You might be right ed. Honestly I've never looked it up before but it definitely looks like the gun Pierce Brosnan carried when he was playing James Bond.

That one I believe is a PP7

I thought you were refereeing to DR No

Walther PPK. 7.65mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:55 PM

a minigun mounted on the roof with a hatch to access it would be nice
Posted By: YosemiteSamIAm

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By Peepers
that was a roll of quarters
As in, "Is that a roll of quarters in your pocket, or are you just planning to shoot me." (with apologies to Mae West)

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By Truffle Royale
Quote:
If someone were to refuse to leave, we would call the cops because they are trespassing, not because of the gun issue.

I don't understand how they would be trespassing if they're there to do bank business. So this WOULD be a gun issue, wouldn't it?

We are allowed to refuse service to anyone, so on those grounds, once we ask them to leave and they don't, then they are trespassing.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore

When Ohio first passed it CC law, our CEO immediately put up a "No Fire Arms are permitted on premises" sign. We had about a 1/2 dozen close their accounts.

We also had the Not Hat, No Hoody, No Sunglasses Policy too.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:16 PM

Browning water-cooled .50 cal?
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:19 PM

South Carolina regulations have the customary: federal buildings, bars, paying events, stadiums, and adds any establishment that has the "official" posted sign (wording and dimensions spelled out in statute).

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:21 PM

Rocky, that is what Ohio is too. Banks, Hospitals, Federal and State buildings.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:22 PM

it's not breaking the law if you're not caught
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By DD Regs

Around these parts, we don't consider a Bank to fall under the Federal Building exemption, and 2nd Amendment supporters will let you know it in a hurry. One teller quoting the Federal Building exemption will land you on a 2A message board in a hurry.

We, of course can refuse business for any reason, but it certainly isn't because we fall under the Federal Building exemption.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By E.G.B.

Browning water-cooled .50 cal?

I'll take one of those too

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By Norman Paperman

Around these parts, we don't consider a Bank to fall under the Federal Building exemption, and 2nd Amendment supporters will let you know it in a hurry. One teller quoting the Federal Building exemption will land you on a 2A message board in a hurry.

We, of course can refuse business for any reason, but it certainly isn't because we fall under the Federal Building exemption.

Didn't say it was a federal building exemption. I believe Banks and other Financial Institutions were listed in Ohio. Either in code or Opinion, can't remember for sure, been a few years ago.

And Peeps, didn't say I frisked people coming in the door either. I had no problem with people CC, but the big man did. He had visions of a "Western style shoot out" or something similarly happening and the FI being sued for encouraging it by not prohibiting it.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:45 PM

it's all good, it's just a motto I utilize a lot in life
Posted By: Need Coffee

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:53 PM

ed,

Brosnan's was the P99.

As for the 7.65mm (.32ACP) I never understood why such a weak round was described this way. It is terribly underpowered, although it is definitely more powerful than the .25ACP Beretta he gave up. There were many other common and more powerful options.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:54 PM

The reason I asked if there is a sign posted because if there is it then is an easy conversation, if there is no sign posted and you are asking someone to leave because of an unwritten rule, you open yourself to criticism, or much worse. Then you'll have the slick attorney who sends in one guy concealed and another open carry, and now we have a basis for discriminatory service lawsuit when you ask the one guy to leave...

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By Norman Paperman

Didn't say it was a federal building exemption. I believe Banks and other Financial Institutions were listed in Ohio. Either in code or Opinion, can't remember for sure, been a few years ago.

And Peeps, didn't say I frisked people coming in the door either with the exception of supermodels. I had no problem with people CC, but the big man did. He had visions of a "Western style shoot out" or something similarly happening and the FI being sued for encouraging it by not prohibiting it.

Fixed

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By Need Coffee
ed,

Brosnan's was the P99.

As for the 7.65mm (.32ACP) I never understood why such a weak round was described this way. It is terribly underpowered, although it is definitely more powerful than the .25ACP Beretta he gave up. There were many other common and more powerful options.

It may have had something to do with the size and concealability of the weapon and to exclude some foreign manufactures due to the WWII era mentally and to be politically correct for England. Dr. No was written in the mid 50's

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 09:04 PM

That cant be it as at the time it was a German manufactured gun.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 09:04 PM

I'm not certain that Ian Fleming was much of a "gun guy" to start with.

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 09:08 PM

Fleming was British naval intelligence so he should have had some knowledge

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 09:09 PM

the quote was

"Walther PPK. 7.65mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window."

It could have simplified as; Walther PPK. 7.65mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window when thrown by the user.
Posted By: ComplianceGuru89, CRCM

Re: Firearm prohibition - 01/12/16 09:22 PM

hunting collection within the bank??? Sounds like my kind of bank!