Mom's 60th birthday

Posted By: ahkcompliance

Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 01:07 PM

Ok so I am a bad son and have totally dropped the ball of getting my mom's 60th birthday gift! Her birthday is in 2 days. She is so hard to buy for as she is not a jewelry person or many things type of person. Usually the simpler the better. Too late to order anything off internet unless I can get next day shipping.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: doodles

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 01:17 PM

What about a gift certificate to a night out - someplace that she wouldn't spend the money for typically - overnight at a bed and breakfast? day spa for massage and/or mani/pedi? special restaurant?
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 01:18 PM

How about a gift certificate to where she has her hair done, a pedicure, or a massage. I'm not 60 but I love receiving them.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 01:34 PM

a donation in her name to the human fund
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 01:36 PM

I think doodles is onto something.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 01:45 PM

Your Mom is pretty young for some of the things I would suggest... grin

A best seller? Flowers? Something related to a hobby? An old family photograph enlarged and newly framed?

Those who are hard to buy for cannot be "wowed" by how much something costs, only by the insight that the purchase reflects. (One of my best gifts ever was a gasoline powered model helicopter. I was 34.)
Posted By: DEL

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 01:57 PM

If she likes receiving flowers, arrange with a florist to deliver a bouquet a month.
Posted By: #ONENANA

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 06:13 PM

If she is close by how about a day with her son. You can do whatever she wants. She will cherish it especially if she hasn't spent much time with you lately.
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 06:19 PM

:Think Big Bang Theory:

Give a book of "ahkcompliance coupons"

1. Good for one Lawn Mowing
2. Good for one Car Wash
3. Good for a night out
4. (Make up your own stuff)
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By #ONENANA
If she is close by how about a day with her son. You can do whatever she wants. She will cherish it especially if she hasn't spent much time with you lately.

He is trying to be nice why punish him?

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 06:37 PM

smile
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 06:44 PM

The Squirrels are back...Your father says that it is personal this time.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 06:45 PM

Oh DD - we LOVE this commercial.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 06:49 PM

we donate to Heifer International for my parents on Christmas, birthdays, etc...they already buy whatever they need, so buying some chickens or a tree or a goat for a 3rd world family makes them very happy...they have requested the other siblings now do the same...proving, once again, why i'm the favorite...

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 06:49 PM

Are you taking a zumba class?
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 07:09 PM

I saw the preview for this thread and cracked up.

"Mom's 60th Birthday"...."Are you taking a Zumba class?" Quintessential 60th birthday vow. laugh

Nothing solid here, but Amazon has some ideas:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=moms+60th+birthday&sprefix=moms+60th+birthday%2Caps%2C179
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 07:12 PM

Kenny Powers would get her a PS3
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/15/16 10:23 PM

Amazon gift card - they deliver electronically within 15 minutes. smile Can be spent on pretty much anything she can think of.
Posted By: NotDoneYet

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/16/16 06:58 PM

As a mom who will turn 60 this year, all I want is time with both of my adult kids, at the same time. It hasn't happened since May 2012. And it likely won't happen this year either, but a mom can dream can't she?
Posted By: YosemiteSamIAm

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/16/16 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By NotDoneYet
As a mom who will turn 60 this year, all I want is time with both of my adult kids, at the same time. It hasn't happened since May 2012. And it likely won't happen this year either, but a mom can dream can't she?
This brought a tear to my eye...really.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/16/16 08:47 PM

I understand, NotDoneYet. We get both kids at the same time once or twice a year, but when one is missing at Christmas it's hard, especially for my wife. Four years would be an awfully long time. Although, when they are both home, they usually end up fighting like they're still in Junior High.

As a dad of two grown kids who is turning 60 this year, I'm just hoping for a phone call. I doubt either will be able to come home. It falls on a Tuesday, so I don't envision much of a celebration.

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/17/16 01:19 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions! Luckily, for my parents all of us kids live around the same area and we see each other often. I think I have decided on a gift card to a favorite restaurant of theirs. We are all meeting tonight for cake and ice cream.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/17/16 02:35 PM

This year is my Mom's 80th, my aunt's 70th, and my sister's 60th. We're having one big party Memorial Day weekend for them all. going out to dinner at Mother's favorite seafood restaurant, cake, just being together - that's all she wants.
Posted By: Summer Nights

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/18/16 03:32 PM

Our 4 boys & 2 wives wrote my mom (grandma) a letter of memories. SHE LOVED IT!! We bought her a nice photo album to put them in along with pictures from little to adulthood of them and her.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/18/16 03:42 PM

Outstanding; it really is the thought that counts. I wrote my Dad a detailed "Thank You" note when I was in college. I found it in his safe deposit box after he died 30 years later...
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/18/16 03:50 PM

while the thought to have a sibling write the poem is great, i'm concerned if one of mine wrote about me it would be along the lines of

Happy is the 5th of 7
that is why he is like he is
it's not his fault
love him anyway
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/18/16 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
while the thought to have a sibling write the poem is great, i'm concerned if one of mine wrote about me it would be along the lines of

Happy is the 5th of 7
that is why he is like he is
it's not his fault
love him anyway

I tell my2 younger brothers all the time:

Okie is the 2nd of 4
Should have stopped then.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/19/16 08:17 PM

Not now, but possibly when she is turning 65.

Mom loved people, and we were at a loss what to get her. The cost - minimal. The value - immense!!!

We sent the following letter out (got the names from their Christmas card list) to 100 people. Got 101 replies back! On her birthday, we gave mom the scrapbook. 3 hours and 2 boxes of kleenex later we had her birthday cake. The album was her most prised possession, and she took it everywhere. It was in her casket when she was buried.

Letter sent out

"December , 20xx

Dear Friend of C_____ P_______ (our mom)

In a few short weeks, mom will be celebrating a milestone, her 65th birthday. It is certainly a blessing for all of us. Mom’s greatest joy is life is being around people, and she constantly reminds us about you and others, her true friends over the years.

We would like to do something special for mom as she celebrates this occasion and need your help. We would like to give her a scrapbook with kind thoughts and remembrances from the people who mean the most to her. Could you please write mom a short note, remembering some incident that you shared or just wishing her health and happiness? If you have a picture that you wouldn’t mind sharing, please enclose it too. We request that you write only on one side so your notes can be mounted.

The return envelope is addressed to Barbara. She will be putting your thoughts in an album and since mom likes flowers so much, will be adding some dried flowers to make it more special. We want to give this to mom on her birthday.

Some of you may see or talk to mom between now and February 28th, her birthday. Please do not mention this to her or dad (he can’t keep a secret!) If you have any questions or suggestions, please call Rocky at xxx-xxxx- or Charley xxx-xxxx Thank you and God Bless.

Love,
R, B and C
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/21/16 04:03 PM

How Wonderful!

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/21/16 04:10 PM

Well we ended up scraping the gift certificate and gave her 3 of her favorite plants that she can plant and watch grow. The 3 plants signifies us 3 boys.

Celebrating had to get delayed as my 2 1/2 year old decided she needed to get sick with the stomach bug frown
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Mom's 60th birthday - 03/21/16 04:53 PM

Late to the party but I wanted to share my mom's favorite gift. She loves it when my sister and I get her tickets for the theater. No spouses or grankids allowed. Just the three of us enjoying dinner followed by something she'll like. She basks in the undivided attention. And as those of you who know me on FB have seen, she's uncannily lucky on getting chosen whenever the actors interact with the audience too.