Anyone canning this year

Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 03:46 PM

Canning Beets tomorrow and I wondering if anyone else is canning this year and what you might be canning. I will also do a Cranberry Jalapeno Jam with frozen cranberries, Sand Plum Jelly and Bread & Butter Pickles.
Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 03:53 PM

I would like to get tomatoes and do a bunch of cans of tomatoes. My husband and I were just talking about this yesterday and we're going to also do peaches, pears, and elderberry jam. He likes to do pickles, so we may do those as well.
Posted By: ComplianceMN

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 04:22 PM

We will can carrots, green beans, and tomatoes. We will freeze sweet corn, and if we have enough in the garden we will also freeze zucchini, squash, pumpkin, peppers, onions, brussel spouts, and cucumbers. Hoping we have some great weather the rest of summer for the garden.
Posted By: RebekahL CRCM

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 04:34 PM

I do lots of garden canning, but my favorite is homemade grape jelly. We grow our own grapes, juice them, and make the jelly. Best stuff on earth. This year hubby is giving wine making a shot. smile
Posted By: DD Regs

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 05:29 PM

We will b canning Green beans and pickled beats. Mom will can enough tomatoes (Juice, sauce, salsa, ketchup) for the county, so we don't bother with that laugh

We will Freeze corn and black berries (Not together) .

Never heard of freezing onions and cucumbers. confused How do you do that?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 05:31 PM

In best peepers voice: I will be going to the can smile
Posted By: basilring

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 05:47 PM

I always freeze blueberries and corn. But those are easy to do. I would love to can - but I believe I would not have the patience for it.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 05:47 PM

no plans on canning this year, but lots of bottling planned...well, if opening beer bottles can be considered bottling, anyway...

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 06:13 PM

We freeze the cucumbers for when we make creamy cucumber salad so it doesn't matter if they don't stay really crisp. Probably doesn't work as well if you wanted them for just eating plain. We just slice them and put them in a freezer bag. For the onions we just chop up and put in freeze bag and use them in stews or roast, where again they don't need to stay really crisp. We also will add onions and peppers when we can tomatoes.
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 06:18 PM

I think I can, I think I can... wink

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 06:27 PM

I just texted my daughter and asked if she wanted to learn how to can this year with her mama... and she is all for it! So, I guess I need to purchase supplies and perhaps some instructions! Any suggestions - or advice?

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 06:31 PM

Any suggestions - or advice?

Wait until she shows up smile
Posted By: Susielou

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 06:46 PM

Canning beans tonight! Did cherries earlier and will do salsa later when the tomatoes are ready.
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 06:49 PM

If I get a good tomato crop this year, I'll can some salsa. I usually pickle jalapenos, too. In fact I still have two jars from last summer.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 06:52 PM

Best advise - tell everyone you know and even those you don't know that you are interested in any canning jars they have and want to get rid off. You'd be surprised how many people have some in the garage or that they don't use anymore.

I am a fan of the Ball Blue Book for recipes and instructions. You can usually find it at Walmart or bookstores, along with the utensils. You can also do a search on Amazon for "canning kit" and there are some good deals there for the utensils.

My biggest boo boo when first learning was when I put the big boiling pot on the gas stove and the flames kind of went up the back of the post and singed the backsplash. Oops.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 07:12 PM

HRH is right, my mom who cans the basement full each year, asked some of the ladies at church if they had any jars they didn't use anymore. WOW, not only did mom get a bunch, but we now have two huge tubs of nice Ball and Mason jars. And my brother took twice as many as I did.

The ball book is great. Also, check you local county extension office. They will offer a lot of material and advice.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 07:14 PM

The extension office of one of our state colleges did a series of classes related to canning last year. They did one on canning tomatoes, jams & jellies, meats, and a couple other that I can't remember. My husband and I both went and they gave out some excellent materials that we've found super helpful. One thing we learned is that we can't use our stove top for pressure cooking because it's one of those invection type where the heat doesn't stay on consistently and goes off when it detects that the pan is hot. The presenter suggested purchasing an electric burner for pressure cooking and gave us the specs so we could get the right one that has enough wattage. It was definitely worth the $5.00 we spent to take the classes! smile

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 07:29 PM

My wife went to our extension office canning session last year. Got a lot of nice material and pointers. And she has been canning for 30+ years.

My dad made a really nice gas burner for mom years ago that he can set up out side or in the basement. (Looks like a double turkey fryer). With a couple adjustments it can run on propane or natural gas. That way mom doesn't heat up the house.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 07:45 PM

My mom has always insisted that the flat top stoves do not work as well for canning. She has always had a stove that has the coils and when the got a new one it had to have the coil burns. I believe it has something to do with the flat tops not heating as evenly.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 07:50 PM

I have to say that my flat top stove does okay with what I have canned - jams, jellies and pickling. I don't like it near as much as using a gas stove but the flat does get the job done.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 08:14 PM

I should have added, the reason dad made the gas burner, is mom doesn't like the electric stove tops.
Posted By: danaken

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 08:41 PM

I have canned 25 quarts of green beans so far. I need to find a good pickle recipe. I have cucumbers coming out my ears! We will definitely can tomatoes once they are ready. When you tell someone you can vegetables they look at you like you're crazy. So many people don't even cook anymore.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 09:03 PM

You all have much earlier growing seasons than I do, my beans and corn are just breaking through the ground. And I haven't even staked my tomatoes yet. Now, grant it my garden was late this year (Normally by memorial day) due to the rain we had. But I am only a couple weeks behind.

All the road side stands are full of "Georgia" veggies.
Posted By: danaken

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/24/16 09:25 PM

We use a propane burner on the patio when we do tomatoes. My glass top stove doesn't get hot enough for water bath canning. My husband and I get 3 pots going at once! Sure makes it go a lot faster.
Posted By: Bacon Boy

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/16 01:23 AM

I picked up a jar of Cowboy Candy at one of the small (I mean TINY) farmer's markets in NWO and it was amazing. Never had it before. Once I get back to Phx, I'll try this recipe. Most likely, I'll double it and send some back to Ohio for family at Christmastime.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 03:14 PM

hhhmmm, I wonder if I could can cowboy caviar? Makes a great dinner to put it on big salads and add chopped chicken and cheese and serve with quesadillas or corn chips.
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 03:17 PM

I'm considering canning an external auditor. Does that count?
Posted By: Peach

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 08:10 PM

I am still afraid of the pressure cooker so no canning for me. Still can't part with mom's giant canning pot though. NO WAY, that was Mom's. Maybe someday. She used to can meatballs and beef roast and mail it to me cross country, I ate every bit.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 08:19 PM

Why do they call it canning when you put the stuff in jars?
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 08:29 PM

If I can't feeze it, it doesn't happen...so I freeze blueberries, tomatoes, sometimes freezer pickles, peppers, onions, herbs [ones that I don't dry, which is rare]

I converted my big standup freezer to a storage cabinet, so I don't even freeze much of the above...mostly the blueberries smile
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 08:31 PM

My mother used to freeze, but she never canned. I'm pretty sure she was afraid of the pressure cooker, too. She would freeze beans, corn, strawberries, etc.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 08:31 PM

you froze Herb?
Posted By: Iowa Compliance Gal

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 09:46 PM

We have a huge garden, I can beans, tomatoes, banana peppers, pickles, potatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and I make/can my own salsa which I might add is amazing! I don't can sweet corn only freeze it canning ruins the flavor makes it taste like canned corn you buy at the store not sweet corn anymore I know weird!!!

I have a herb garden I dehydrate and freeze my herbs depending on what they are. I love this time of year!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By edAudit
Why do they call it canning when you put the stuff in jars?

"Jarring" is reserved for pickup trucks that need new shocks. laugh

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/16 10:00 PM

We picked up a 20 lb box of apricots this weekend. I'm going to make some jam and I'm thinking some fruit leather.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/28/16 02:27 PM

you froze Herb?

Yeah...but just until I make another bon fire. smirk

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/28/16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By Busy Bee, CRCM
We picked up a 20 lb box of apricots this weekend. I'm going to make some jam and I'm thinking some fruit leather.

A friend gave me a box of apricots last year. I canned most in a light syrup and the rest I made into Apricot Jalapeno Jam and it turn out to be the hit of the year. I serve it over cream cheese with crackers. Made great gifts in a basket with a pretty towel and or with a pretty appetizer dish and one of those dip knife serving thingies. Oh, appetizer or cheese spreader maybe?
Posted By: Trees

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 04:42 PM

I will teach my neighbor about canning this year. Annually, my husband and I picked strawberries, blueberries, red and black raspberries and then froze them (we invested in a good upright freezer) and/or made preserves. We grew and froze yellow and green beans, Brussels sprouts, red and regular cabbage and kale. We ate fresh off the vine tomatoes all summer and froze some, too. We canned bread and butter pickles, baby carrots, pickled beets. I will miss doing this with my recently departed husband this year but I look forward to passing on the fun and satisfaction one gets canning all those wonderful goodies.

We made tomato sauce a few years in a row. All those hours! All that mess! Tasted great but a lot of work for 12 quarts of sauce. Not sure I will do that again but I do make great green tomato ketchup.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 06:28 PM

a black raspberry? I had no idea! shocked!!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 06:37 PM

My sister will can home made spaghetti sauce sometimes - and puts pureed carrots into it without telling my niece. It's a way to get a vegetable into her.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 06:44 PM

We cut up all the apricots last night and have two large Ziploc bags of them in the freezer. I don't have time to make jam this week, so I'll do it next week. I did get some apricots in the dehydrator last night and made some fruit leather. I'm going to try it tonight to see if it worked! smile
Posted By: Trees

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 07:00 PM

RR Joker: Yup, there are black raspberries. They are often confused with blackberries but, in fact, are smaller (like their red cousins) and the seeds are not as large as blackberry seeds. They taste a bit sweeter, as well.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 07:09 PM

I've got a peach bread recipe that you make a puree and then can freeze it to use in winter. I bet that would work with apricots too.
Note on freezing: we went to zip lock bags a few years back. Cheaper than containers and take up less space. I may get some ice cube trays to make GFCF pesto cubes then freeze them in bags. Got a bumper crop of basil right now and more in the CSA box each week.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 07:18 PM

I'd love the peach bread recipe!! smile

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 08:01 PM

Yes Peach bread recipe ASAP please.
Posted By: DEL

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 08:10 PM

Print the peach bread recipe so we all can see - it sounds yummy!
Posted By: TXBSA

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/29/16 09:24 PM

Would love to have the peach bread recipe! I plan on canning some more this year as well. So far this year I have done a few jars of pickled jalapenos and zesty zucchini relish and have shredded and frozen tons of zucchini for future zucchini bread as well. Looking forward to when the tomatoes come in so I can do some diced tomatoes and salsa.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/30/16 03:51 AM

You can freeze cherry tomatoes to use either in stews, etc or for shish kabobs. The frozen tomatoes thaw as the meat and potatoes cook. No more mushy tomatoes falling off the skewers.

Now for the Peach Bread Recipe.

In a blender puree the following:
1 lb peaches (I leave the skin on)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ascorbic acid (Fruit Fresh)
pinch of salt

This will yield approx. 2 cups of puree. At this point you can put it in a zip lock bag and freeze.

To make two loaves of bread combine:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 shortening
2 eggs
1 batch puree (about 2 cups)
2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
(optional 1 cup nuts)

Bake at 325 for 1 hour

It's not overly sweet but just right with a cup of tea, especially in the dead of winter.
Enjoy!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/30/16 03:53 AM

Made the GFCF pesto tonight. Just pureed a lot of basil, some olive oil and nutritional yeast. The yeast adds a cheesy nutty flavor. I can't wait to give it to my daughter and have her try it!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/30/16 12:42 PM

Truffle... that is a fantastic recipe. I wonder if I could try the puree with a different fruit? My husband despises peaches... and tomatoes. Guess I can't complain, since it's only those 2 things. (although I love both of those!)

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/30/16 02:31 PM

basilring, I thought of the recipe when Busy Bee said she got apricots. I'm sure the recipe would work with other fruit, altho you might have to adjust the sugar. I'm thinking primarily stone fruits. Might have to try some with pluots...hhhmmm, now you've got me wondering... smile

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/30/16 03:03 PM

I had never heard of a pluot, so I had to google it. Now I may need to try one of these, they sound awesome.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/30/16 03:07 PM

OK - did the same thing myself. Sort of like a labradoodle - a hybrid.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/30/16 06:11 PM

The peach bread sounds delicious and I have everything I need if I use apricots! I think I'll be making some to serve at the 4th of July BBQ we're having on Monday!! smile

Re: Anyone canning this year - 07/01/16 02:12 AM

Pluots ARE amazing. My grankids are all hooked on them. Sams usually has them this time of year. I think they'd make a great jam too.
Bee, let us know how the apricot bread works out, please? If anyone else tries a different variation I'd love to hear about it too.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 07/01/16 07:21 PM

Thanks for the Peach bread recipe!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/22/17 08:56 PM

Canning anything this year? I've done Sand Plum Jelly (from plums that grow around here), Raspberry Jam, Rasbperry-Jalapeno Jam, Cran-Strawberry Jam so far.
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/22/17 09:01 PM

Yes, we canned an employee just last week. smirk

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/22/17 09:05 PM

Wow! Canning already! I'm impressed. My raspberries are just starting to flower. Good for you!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/22/17 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By Sinatra Fan
Yes, we canned an employee just last week. smirk

Ha! Hot water bath or pressure cooker? laugh laugh laugh

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/22/17 09:08 PM

Most employers prefer the pressure cooker I am sure.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/22/17 09:58 PM

Trying to decide what to do with the jalapenos this year. This is the first year we've grown them and that little plant is prolific. We've already gotten a dozen off, with about the same number still growing.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/22/17 11:27 PM

I know several people who could use a good caning. Oops, missed an "n" there... whistle
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 11:13 AM

EEGB, you can freeze the jalapenos. I wash, seed then chop them and freeze them. Works with all peppers.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 12:48 PM

Yeah, I'll probably freeze some and dry some. And the Junebug got an ice cream maker for her birthday - I am seriously considering a jalapeno ice cream. (I found a recipe for a lemon ice cream with candied jalapeno that sounds fabulous.)

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 01:05 PM

Rasbperry-Jalapeno Jam

this sounds interesting...bet it's really good on grilled smoked sausage!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 01:07 PM

Singapore is still caning...

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 01:37 PM

some of the word association threads should be canned
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 01:49 PM

word

letter

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 02:08 PM

head

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 02:08 PM

cheese

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 02:09 PM

fondue

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 02:37 PM

jalapeno

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 02:44 PM

popper

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 03:25 PM

STOP!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 03:26 PM

yield

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 03:40 PM

Income

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 04:44 PM

My poor thread! Look what y'all did to my nice and normal thre........never mind. Forgot who I was talking to.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 05:40 PM

it was ed's fault

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 05:40 PM

line

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By RR Joker
Rasbperry-Jalapeno Jam

this sounds interesting...bet it's really good on grilled smoked sausage!

I still think this would be awesome on the sausage smirk

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 06:30 PM

Here come the children! laugh

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 06:56 PM

go!

forward

move

ahead

its

not

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 06:57 PM

to

late

to

whip

it

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 07:24 PM

good

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 07:35 PM

golly

miss

molly

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/23/17 07:37 PM

pitcher
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 02:18 PM

catcher

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 05:15 PM

rye

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 07:20 PM

Already I've canned pickled green beans, sweet red peppers and a small batch of cowboy candy. Then this morning, a coworker called to place an order for more cowboy candy, so I guess that's what I'm doing this weekend.

Not canning related, but I cultivated a scobi so I'll be able to brew my own kombucha soon.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 07:29 PM

Acetobacter

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 07:46 PM

Quote:
cowboy candy

Seeds in or seeds out?

Kombucho - Tea Mushroom...Happy Kombucho. Hummm...I see a trend here laugh!
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 07:56 PM

What is cowboy candy?

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 08:00 PM

jalapeños

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 08:13 PM

^^^

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/26/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By RR Joker
Quote:
cowboy candy

Seeds in or seeds out?

Kombucho - Tea Mushroom...Happy Kombucho. Hummm...I see a trend here laugh!

Seeds in.

This is the recipe I've been using

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/17 02:31 PM

oh! That one is totally different from what I've seen! I'm surprised at adding even more heat to it. Interesting! And...a way to use turmeric. smile

Re: Anyone canning this year - 06/27/17 02:35 PM

Might have to try canning some of the Cowboy Candy!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 08/07/17 03:23 PM

This weekend I made apple butter and red hot apples.

Does anyone have a trusted recipe for cactus jelly? I think my folks would get a kick out of that for Christmas.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 08/07/17 05:02 PM

Oh, Thanks. Red Hot Apples reminds me that I was going to make some Candy Apple Jelly. Better dig that recipe out.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 08/07/17 05:17 PM

Candy Apple Jelly? I'm intrigued. My Blue Bell canning cookbook was my mom's mom's, so it doesn't have any of the fun recipes from the '70s.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 08/07/17 06:33 PM

I thought it sounded good:

Candy Apple Jelly

Ingredients
• 1 Powdered Fruit Pectin
• ½ cup Red Hot Candies or Cinnamon Jolly Ranchers
• 4-½ cups Apple Juice (no Sugar Added)
• 4-½ cups Sugar
• 8 half-pint canning jars w lids/rings

Preparation

In large saucepan or pot stir in pectin and candy with apple juice and bring to a boil stirring constantly until candy is dissolved. When liquid comes to a rolling boil that can’t be stirred down, boil for one minute.

Stir in sugar and keep stirring until mixture comes to a rapid boil. When liquid comes to a rapid boil that can’t be stirred down, boil another full minute.

Remove from heat and skim off any foam.

Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4″ headspace. Hand tighten lids and process in a water bath for 5 minutes. This recipe will make about 8 half pint jars of beautiful red jelly.

*Note: You can chop up the red hot candies prior to stirring in the liquid in a food processor to assist with them dissolving.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 08/07/17 07:18 PM

Thx!

Re: Anyone canning this year - 08/07/17 07:58 PM

Okie, what would you serve that jelly with? Cheese? Fruit?

Re: Anyone canning this year - 08/07/17 08:01 PM

I'm thinking just as regular jelly on toast, but I bet if the cinnamon "bite" is enough it would be good with cheese.

Re: Anyone canning this year - 08/07/17 08:04 PM

Now I'm already tasting it on a think slab of homemade bread with butter!