Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think?

Posted By: Need Coffee

Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 02:39 PM

Did someone rob the swimmers at gunpoint?

IMO, it is looking more and more likely they are hiding something. I wouldn't think they would make it up for no reason, if it turns out to be a lie.
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 02:44 PM

Illuminati conspiracy.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 02:47 PM

just keep lying, just keep lying
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 02:49 PM

some in the 50m

http://deadspin.com/did-a-current-in-the-rio-swimming-pool-give-some-swimme-1785432774
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 02:52 PM

I'm wondering if Lochte just didn't lose his wallet while drunk and didn't want to tell his mom, so he made up a story. It was his mom who first reported it. Lochte didn't call the cops until the story was already out. And wouldn't the cabbie have filed a police report if his passengers were robbed? Something's fishy.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 02:56 PM

I know nothing of the character of these young men - but could hookers have robbed them and they made up this cover story?

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 03:11 PM

Hahahaha, yes. That has actually been my running theory until now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-ryan...-140805637.html

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 03:31 PM

losers
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 03:42 PM

well, he has been claiming for years he was robbed of a medal, so this seems to be par for the course...
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
well, he has been claiming for years he was robbed of a medal, so this seems to be par for the course...

So he's the Kanye West of swimming... laugh

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By GuitarDude

So he's the Kanye West of swimming... laugh

Lochte at least has some talent for his chosen profession
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:07 PM

Lochte isn't the only one making robbery claims

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:10 PM

Lochte - Gold medal dirt bag

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By Truffle Royale
Lochte isn't the only one making robbery claims

Are you sure that they were not trying to use the bathroom and had a language issue?

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:23 PM

Seriously, it should not be hard to believe that tourists would get robbed in a county with high poverty areas right on the outskirts of the Olympic Village. quick research got this and there's plenty more.
Why is everyone so quick to believe Lochte's lying?

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:27 PM

Why is everyone so quick to believe Lochte's lying?

There is a video.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:33 PM

and because he's a dirt bag

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:35 PM

http://www.nola.com/olympics/index.ssf/2016/08/2_us_olympic_swimmers_pulled_o.html#incart_m-rpt-2
Posted By: OldeTymeBanker

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:39 PM

My theory is that Ryan had to leave his money behind, even it was not entirely voluntary, and he tells his Mom she needs to move more money into his account because he got robbed. She starts telling everyone about this horrid thing that has happened to her son, and this sets in motion a wheel Lochte cannot stop. Moral of the story---don't lie to your mother, especially when you are a 32 year old man.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:40 PM

I haven't seen the gas station video. But how many times in this forum has someone talked about altering videos?

It just really blows my mind that we believe media here but scream about spin when it comes to political reporting, etc.
Do you really think Matt Lauer and his ilk change their style of reporting based on the story and participants?
If this wasn't getting the huge media coverage, it would have died a natural death by Tuesday.
Personally I think you need to take anything 'reported' with a ton of salt.
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:41 PM

Anyone with young adult children will understand what happened here. There is some truth to their statements, but the details are just a little fuzzy. Yes there was a gun pointed at them (by a security guard who was trying to make them pay for a restroom that they vandalized) and yes they lost some money (paying for the destroyed bathroom). Of course, being held up at gunpoint is a much better story than getting blind drunk, stumbling into a gas station restroom, committing vandalism, fighting with the owner, and having a security guard detain you until you make restitution.

If they had kept their mouths shut, none of this would be happening. They spouted off about the robbery story to the media and the local authorities opened an investigation.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:44 PM

Toilet make Snow Miser angry!

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:45 PM

getting blind drunk, stumbling into a gas station restroom, committing vandalism, fighting with the owner, and having a security guard detain you until you make restitution

so why is that not an average Wednesday for him?
Posted By: #ONENANA

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 04:55 PM

What about two of the other three being detained in Rio? Where is that fourth one?

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 05:36 PM

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=loch...amp;FORM=VRDGAR

It is clear from this video that they are not truthful wink
Posted By: MyBrainHurts

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 05:37 PM

"Why is everyone so quick to believe Lochte's lying?"

Because he didn't report the crime until after it became public, he keeps changing his story, his story doesn't match the story of the other swimmers, there is video showing them laughing when they got back to where they were staying, etc.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/18/16 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By #ONENANA
What about two of the other three being detained in Rio? Where is that fourth one?

hopefully we will not have to pay $400,000,000 to find out.
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/19/16 11:55 AM

ESPN article posted at 7:31 AM this morning.

The most charitable reading sounds like some frat boys went out and got drunked up and then decided that "the truth and nothing but the truth" wasn't going to play well...

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/19/16 01:32 PM

Lochte is 32, he should know better, but he doesn't

El Dirteo Bageo

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/19/16 02:03 PM

Have you seen his reality show? He doesn't come across as a candidate for MENSA.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/19/16 02:54 PM

I haven't

but if it's anything more than him interviewing a panel of guest rocks then he's in way over his head

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/19/16 05:50 PM

Lochte "apologizes."

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/19/16 06:00 PM

Based upon his apology; from what I go,t he was so drunk (or other substances) that he could not tell if he was being held up or just paid for damages.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/19/16 06:06 PM

Quote:
he was sorry for not being "more careful and candid" in how he described events Sunday

He was actually quite candid in telling his fabricated story.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/21/16 10:00 AM

Lauer interview.

Lochte needs to get someone else to speak in front of the camera and write his tweets; he's channeling a dull witted Eddie Haskell. I would vote him off the island...

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 01:00 PM

I see he went with over exaggerated.

Mis remembered must have been taken

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 01:41 PM

At the conclusion of an article about the Olympics:

"And in the end, after countless stories about Zika, water quality and security concerns, the ugliest thing to come out of Rio was Ryan Lochte."
Posted By: TINKerBell

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 03:10 PM

And that is the truth. Shame on him!

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 03:55 PM

Speedo dumped him. That leaves Polo Ralph Lauren and Airweave.

Just a reminder, Phelps lost sponsors over the bong photo and the DUI. He ultimately replaced them.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 04:01 PM

Lochte is no Phelps
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 04:08 PM

I think Lochte could easily replace the lost sponsors with deals from bail bond companies, liquor companies, and possibly some criminal defense attorneys. Perhaps he could just pose for Playgirl or release an "Unauthorized" sex tape now and get it over with.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 04:22 PM

a bathroom renovation spokesperson

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 05:18 PM

You know all he has to do is host Saturday Night Live and make fun of himself and all will be forgiven. Sad.
Posted By: Peach

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 05:24 PM

True!

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 06:35 PM

Previously linked story, now updated, says Ralph Lauren has kicked him to the curb too.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 06:38 PM

since he already said he was done with the Olympics, all these sponsors would have dropped him at the end of his current contract - this just let them do it sooner without any final payout.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 06:44 PM

Any endorsement or spokesperson contract has a morals clause where the sponsor can terminate it at any time due to bad behavior.

The only reason I know that is Paul Newman had agreed to be the spokesperson for Kodak several years ago. When he got to that paragraph in his proposed contract, he demanded that there be an identical paragraph saying he could unilaterally terminate the contract if Kodak misbehaved; e.g. stock market manipulations, environmental pollution, etc. Kodak refused and Newman walked away. (Case study in graduate school.)

Airweave has a relatively complex endorsement that runs through the Tokyo Olympics. It may be more difficult for them to extract themselves
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 06:44 PM

While I agree that Lochte has made some pretty poor decisions I don't feel it is our job to decide when he should be forgiven.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 07:07 PM

never, so long as he remains a danger to soap dishes
Posted By: RR Becca

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/22/16 08:44 PM

Maybe HGTV will pick him up to host Bath Crashers.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 09:15 AM

The Post has updated the "Speedo Dumped Him" article linked above to indicate that the last of his major sponsors jumped ship.

This is a fascinating story of hubris at what is very nearly a Presidential level. Regardless, #onenana has brilliantly pointed out a major step on the path to redemption. He could reinstate or even improve his public image if he:

* Hired a PR firm and a lawyer (in Rio, not New York)
* Called the police in Rio and made an appointment for an interview at their convenience. (He would bring his Rio peeps, his checkbook, and an overnight bag.)
* Issued a prepared statement (written by someone else) after the interview that included the words: drunk, stupid, and I apologize to the people of Brazil and to all of the participants in the Olympic games for my behavior. I will make it up to you.
* Called SNL and asked, "When do you want me?"
* Never died his hair again.

Nothing will mollify the "haters;" there is no point in catering to them. However, I promise it would work with the vast majority of people. Besides, there is about $5 million on the line and I don't think he's a candidate for a "real" job.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 10:27 AM

Nothing will mollify the "haters;" there is no point in catering to them. However, I promise it would work with the vast majority of people. Besides, there is about $5 million on the line and I don't think he's a candidate for a "real" job.

That is not fair. He is just as qualified to be a POTUS as either of the two running. He can also be a senator or congressman since he has the ability to lie poorly.
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 01:02 PM

Can we take the term "haters" out of circulation? Please? I am so tired of hearing people labeled with that epithet simply because they disagree with a person, or disagree with one of that person's beliefs, or disagree with the way that a person expresses that belief, or disagree with the extent to which that person thinks one should express that belief, or disagree with the primacy of that belief over everything else, or simply doesn't think that person's belief is that important.

I may disagree with you, or maybe not even like you so much, or not care about you, but that does not mean I hate you. There are people whom I like very much, and with whom I have very fundamental disagreements. Calling people "haters" (which at times is so casually done, I wonder if people even realize they're using the term) simply coarsens the level of discourse, assuming there is actually any desire for, or possibility of, reasonable discourse.

It's bad enough our political campaigns have turned into pitched battles of derogatory comments about the opposition; it's even worse when everyday discourse is cheapened by such tawdriness. Consider this to be a plea for less in-your-face verbiage and more thoughtful and nuanced conversation.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 01:04 PM

^^^^

Hater of the word hater laugh

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 01:07 PM

Maybe we just read different things. On the Internet, I find the term to be accurate and think I effectively distinguished this group from those who simply disagree, even vehemently.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 01:17 PM

I look at it as a dismissive term without any facts. So and So is just a hater because they disagree with one of the party candidates, when in fact there are valid reasons why a person does not like a candidate or both.
Posted By: MScarn6942

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 01:25 PM

"Never died his hair again."

What amazes me about this part is how quickly it went back to normal!

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 01:26 PM

"Hater" is probably an excellent topic for another thread. Why doesn't someone start one!
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 02:08 PM

Stories coming out of Brazil today make the point that perhaps the police may have embellished its side of the story too.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 03:49 PM

I think it's entirely possible that both the police and Lochte have 'over-exaggerated' the events. It's nearly impossible to know what actually happened unless someone comes forward and tells the truth which is highly unlikely.
Posted By: Cornfed Turtle

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 04:02 PM

Bentz and Conger gave some statements that sounded rather un-exaggerated. They seem to have gotten the shorter end of this whole fiasco, but have been used as examples in training exercises with my teenagers.
Posted By: Wolfy

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/23/16 04:25 PM

Well I was thinking, with Lochte's IQ being so low, it might be hard to prove he intended to be that stupid. wink

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 01:05 PM

any chance that mere mortals have to slam a celebrity anonymously on the web is a chance that many will take...seeing a person who makes millions in endorsements reduced to nothing warms the cockles of many a mans heart...pretty sad statement on society

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 01:44 PM

blah blah blah

he did it to himself, just like Armstrong

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 04:16 PM

I think it would be different but he was there representing this country. If it was Joe nobody nobody would be talking about it. Fair or not when you put your celebrity status out there, especially when representing The United States, acting appropriately isn't too much to ask.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 04:21 PM

they are there as athletes to compete in a sport - to say they are representing the country is a bit of a stretch. They are there to compete, not act on matters of national importance. this isn't politics, or diplomacy, or any type of negotiations. Let's not make it any ore than it is - a sporting competition. and some of the competitors acted stupidly.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By Pale Rider
Stories coming out of Brazil today make the point that perhaps the police may have embellished its side of the story too.

I read a story today that brought up several good points about things that went wrong on both sides and had photos of the bathroom that was "destroyed". There was no damage in the photos included. I think there is more to this story than we will ever find out.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 04:25 PM

Quote:
I think there is more to this story than we will ever find out
if only Paul Harvey were still alive, we'd know the rest of the story...

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 04:37 PM

they are there as athletes to compete in a sport - to say they are representing the country is a bit of a stretch. They are there to compete, not act on matters of national importance. this isn't politics, or diplomacy, or any type of negotiations. Let's not make it any ore than it is - a sporting competition. and some of the competitors acted stupidly.

Well, I think it is a bit more than just athletes competing in a sport because they are representing their countries. If not, then there would be no flags, team suits, tracking of medals by country, identification of each competitor by country and playing of the gold medal winner's national anthem.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 05:52 PM

^^^^^ that

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/24/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By GuitarDude

Well, I think it is a bit more than just athletes competing in a sport because they are representing their countries. If not, then there would be no flags, team suits, tracking of medals by country, identification of each competitor by country and playing of the gold medal winner's national anthem.

if it is truly a "sport" why do they include soccer?
Posted By: Carolina Blue

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/26/16 05:41 PM

Rio's not backing down. They're pressing charges against the Blue Haired Bandit.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/26/16 05:50 PM

waste of money and time all around...I certainly would not return for a trial there, after this publicity you know they will throw the book at him...and 18-months is prison is what he can get...and while the US has an extradition treaty with them, they won't pursue for this minor issue.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/26/16 06:02 PM

http://www.economist.com/news/americas/2...ome-middle-ages
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/26/16 06:53 PM

Yeah, I would fight for extradition out of Brazil.
Posted By: BotV#6

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/26/16 08:04 PM

USA Today Robbery Investigation

I read USA Today's story. I agree with Pale. Get out of Rio ASAP...

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 05:08 PM

all is well, he will be on DWTS

I bet they hope he doesn't have to use the bathroom

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 05:15 PM

Just wondering if he usually finished second to Phelps how is he a star?

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 05:18 PM

DWTPS

pseudo stars

like my use of fancy words?
Posted By: peony

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 05:57 PM

Just wondering if he usually finished second to Phelps how is he a star?

I have a feeling that he wasn't the first choice... I think Phelps may have been offered to a tv show but turned down so they went to the second best.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 06:19 PM

and first best bathroom destroyer

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 06:22 PM

name the last A-list celebrity that has been on that show. At best, they are getting C- and D-list people, which is where Lochte easily falls in...

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 06:26 PM

Doug Flutie?

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 06:28 PM

I think Hope Solo inventor of the Solo cup was in it one year.
Posted By: BotV#6

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 06:32 PM

Erin Andrews
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 06:38 PM

Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith are both legends. I don't watch DWTS but it seems they've had to dig pretty deep to find anyone remotely qualified as a celebrity.

Re: Rio: Robbed or Not? What do you think? - 08/29/16 09:06 PM

they may be legends, but I don't see them as A-list celebrities now...maybe 20 years ago when they were playing at the top of their game...