New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous?

Posted By: ZmbRzr

New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 01:19 PM

My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary on October 28, and we both want to go somewhere drivable with a good food scene that we've never been before. We thought New Orleans sounded really fun during the Halloween/fall season, so depending on if we can get a decent hotel at this late hour, that's where we're headed.

BUT...after researching tips for tourists in the area, I've read enough warnings and scary stories about muggings and assaults that it's making me hesitate. For those of you that have been or live there, is it truly a dangerous place for tourists, or are a lot of these people just getting in bad situations by going away from the main tourist areas? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Amandak

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 01:37 PM

Happy anniversary! My husband and I will also be 10 years on October 28th.

Wish I could answer your post based on personal experience but I have never been to New Orleans. I do know that the ICBA conference was there either last year or the year before and my bank president and his wife said they would go back.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 02:29 PM

Have been a number of times and never had problems, but never went at a holiday time. We did stay in the Quarter too. You need to be aware of your surroundings as much as you should be in any big city. Absolutely a fabulous place to visit and eat your way through. Happy Gilmore is the BOL expert on all things NOLA.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 02:31 PM

I've been several times and never had a problem. Ditto to what Truffle says - be aware of your surroundings as in any large city. I took my then 17 year old daughter and her friend with me the last time I went . I was in conference and they wandered around on foot during the day without me and had a blast. No problems.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 02:55 PM

hmmmm...the advice I'd give for NOLA to avoid a mugging is the same I'd give for any major city...don't go into the ghetto at night...

that being said, the city is actually a pretty safe place if you are a smart tourist. the tourist part of the French Quarter is safe, but if you venture into the outlying residential areas after dark, and you are not in a group, you put yourself at risk. Same with cemeteries, day is fine, night is not...Halloween weekend there is a huge 3-day music festival - VOODOO Music Fest - so finding a hotel room may be tough if you haven't already booked one...

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 03:12 PM

Thanks so much, everyone! And Happy Anniversary to you, too, Amandak!

My husband and I aren't party animals or anything, so I doubt we'll be out very late and know we won't be going anywhere without lots of people after dark. Food is our main focus. We're planning on going to the music fest on that Saturday if we can get a hotel room. Right now, I've found a few that are still available, so I plan on booking one tonight.

Thanks again!!!

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 03:26 PM

oh, there may be one or 2 places that have good food in NO that I can recommend...

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 03:41 PM

Well, if you've got recommendations, I would welcome them. smile
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 03:54 PM

Well, we went in 1975 and witnessed a robbery/shooting while riding in a carriage in the Quarter. We spent a lot of time with the police because we were the only witnesses who actually offered to talk to them. I've been back a dozen times since and have never seen anything beyond the incredibly weird.

My point is we live in a world where all things are possible; you could witness the unthinkable in suburban Des Moines. As others have said, be aware of your surroundings and be aware of the fact that anyone can look at you and tell you're a tourist.
Posted By: OldeTymeBanker

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 04:57 PM

My hubby and I went last year, and much of the time we were with some sort of guide, as we had never visited. NACHA had a conference in town, and I could spot the bankers everywhere we went, LOL. The only time we had a concern was an incident when two gentlemen, who both seemed to under the influence of something, had an altercation with each other in the French Quarter. Our guide was quick to mosey us along out of there. We did have a couple of times that some con man tried to get us to bet on something. We live in Nevada, so we definitely did not go to New Orleans to gamble our money away.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 05:21 PM

I'm pretty sure it's perfectly acceptable to pee on any street, sidewalk, etc. in New Orleans
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 05:23 PM

I didn't think you cared if it was acceptable or not.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 05:30 PM

Weather was great, seafood beyond great, culture amazing, but smell on Bourbon Street not so great!
Posted By: edAudit

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 05:33 PM

Weather was great,

so based upon Peepers comments it rained?

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By ZmbRzr
Well, if you've got recommendations, I would welcome them. smile

a few links to prior posts on this

https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2061286/1
https://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbt...ans#Post1975851

be more than delighted to provide answers to any questions you may have about the city, attractions, eateries, drinkeries, etc
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 06:24 PM

Quote:
We did have a couple of times that some con man tried to get us to bet on something.

I bet I know where you got your shoes?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 06:24 PM

more than delighted to provide answers to any questions you may have about the city, attractions, eateries, drinkeries, etc

How many oranges are placed in the beer in you fine city?

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 06:56 PM

Thank you all for your help! And thank you, Happy, for the links to other posts. I'll be sure to go over the food recommendations with my husband. smile
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 07:06 PM

Try to catch a dinner here if you like getting dressy: https://www.windsorcourthotel.com, it is stunningly elegant. smile

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 07:11 PM

Quote:
How many oranges are placed in the beer in you fine city?

zero
Posted By: Dazed Auditor

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 08:44 PM

My husband and I were in NO around last Halloween. It was fine. You should try to be there in time for Halloween parade. It was awesome.
Posted By: OldeTymeBanker

Re: New Orleans - Fun Destination or Too Dangerous? - 09/30/16 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By Ken_Pegasus
Quote:
We did have a couple of times that some con man tried to get us to bet on something.

I bet I know where you got your shoes?

Yep, that was one of them, lol.