Screen Name Change

Posted By: RVFlyboy

Screen Name Change - 12/29/18 04:13 AM

I just changed my screen name from BeechFlyboy to RVFlyboy. Why? Because I just bought my first airplane! It’s a Vans RV-6A. I’m currently flying it home to Georgia from its prior home in Livermore, CA. Wish the SE rain would stop so we can get her home. It’s been a great first trip in the plane so far, though. Livermore to El Paso, TX yesterday and El Paso to Monroe, LA today.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Screen Name Change - 12/29/18 08:06 PM

Congratulations Jim. You're getting your money's worth out of the test drive. Is it as easy to fly as the Beech?
Posted By: thomasj

Re: Screen Name Change - 12/30/18 02:16 AM

Congratulations Jim on getting back in the air! I hope you have safe travels home!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Screen Name Change - 12/31/18 01:03 PM

Congratulations Jim! Sounds very exciting.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Screen Name Change - 12/31/18 01:22 PM

Good for you, Jim!
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Screen Name Change - 12/31/18 01:55 PM

Good luck and fill us in on the trip. I was worried for a moment that you decided to buy a motorhome. smile They need a log runway to get airborne.
Posted By: David Dickinson

Re: Screen Name Change - 12/31/18 06:26 PM

An RV (recreational vehicle): That was my first thought too. I started to think of you like Cousin Eddy for just a second. smile
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Screen Name Change - 12/31/18 08:41 PM

A quick Google search shows me that that thing is awesome. Looks zippy. Good for you!
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/02/19 03:24 PM

I also thought you'd made a change from air to airstream! laugh! It's cool looking...but all I can do is wave...flying is not my friend!!!
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/02/19 05:27 PM

congrats!
Posted By: MB Guy

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/02/19 08:12 PM

Congrats! Great looking plane.
Posted By: Soccer

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/02/19 08:49 PM

Congratulations! Safe travels
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/02/19 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By RVFlyboy
I just changed my screen name from BeechFlyboy to RVFlyboy. Why? Because I just bought my first airplane! It’s a Vans RV-6A. I’m currently flying it home to Georgia from its prior home in Livermore, CA. Wish the SE rain would stop so we can get her home. It’s been a great first trip in the plane so far, though. Livermore to El Paso, TX yesterday and El Paso to Monroe, LA today.

well, if texting and driving is something that shouldn't be done, i think flying and posting on BOL should be considered worse...you're probably the cause of all these flight delays i've been hearing about!

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/03/19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By HappyGilmore

well, if texting and driving is something that shouldn't be done, i think flying and posting on BOL should be considered worse...you're probably the cause of all these flight delays i've been hearing about!

I agree - I don't text and fly. I posted that from the ground in Monroe, LA during our layover to wait for the clouds to break. We got out the next morning and made it the rest of the way home. But the weather has been so crappy since, I haven't even had a chance to take Mrs RVFlyboy up on her first flight in the new plane.

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/03/19 03:07 PM

I used to fly in our company's plane on occasion and the one time we had a full plane so I sat in the co-pilot seat (that was the old plane that was replaced shortly after and we added a co-pilot then) for the ride from Naples to Orlando, which was pretty interesting. About a half an hour into the flight, I looked over and our pilot was sleeping peacefully at the controls as the auto-pilot flew us to our destination. Freaked me out, lol.

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/03/19 06:29 PM

I can honestly say I've NEVER slept while sitting in the cockpit.

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/03/19 07:41 PM

I couldn't believe our pilot was, seriously.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/03/19 08:37 PM

I used to fly on the bank owned plane all over the Northwest - sometimes every day for months at a time. It got so that when the co-pilot need to attend to something they would always ask me to come up and sit in the co-pilot seat. They taught me how to at least fly level for several minutes in case the pilot had an issue. I have some real stories on some interesting flights traversing the Idaho backcountry. We flew a 690B Twin Commander.
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/03/19 08:50 PM

Here in the sticks we have a company that flies customers from place to place, usually within a 6 hour driving radius, really cheap. If the 8 seater plane is full they will have a passenger sit in the co-pilot seat. I got my turn and it was really cool. Had to exert some serious discipline to not just grab the yoke and fly..... or crash as I don't have any formal training.

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/03/19 09:43 PM

Randy, that sounds pretty awesome.

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/04/19 01:01 PM

It's pretty easy to learn to fly. Learning to land safely is the tricky part.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/04/19 01:45 PM

It's pretty easy to learn to fly. Learning to land safely is the tricky part.

A friend was told in flight school that a good landing is when you walked away from the plane. A great landing was when the plane could be reused.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Screen Name Change - 01/04/19 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By RVFlyboy

I agree - I don't text and fly. I posted that from the ground in Monroe, LA during our layover t

well, it appears that the sarcasm "flew" right by you... smile