Colorado Vacation

Posted By: Susielou

Colorado Vacation - 06/10/19 04:11 PM

We are flying in to Denver the last week of August. We are trying to decide whether to head to SW Colorado where we have never been and may be somewhat rushed or stay around Rock Mountain and try to find a cabin for a few days. We've been to Rock Mountain Nat'l Park a couple of times and would like to see experience something new. Any hidden gems near Denver that we might be missing? We want to enjoy the scenery, hike a little, and not be around a ton of people.
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Colorado Vacation - 06/10/19 08:08 PM

Dinosaur National Monument is interesting. It's about 5 hours from Denver.
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Colorado Vacation - 06/10/19 08:33 PM

Doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would be on your agenda (and i have no insights on any hiking things), but Red Rocks Ampitheatre in Morrison is an amazing venue....
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Colorado Vacation - 06/10/19 08:37 PM

We went to this animal sanctuary when we were in Colorado in 2017. I think it was about 45 min or so from Denver.

https://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/visit-us
Posted By: Carolina Blue

Re: Colorado Vacation - 06/11/19 06:32 PM

Coors Brewing? or Boulder and the Flat Irons are cool places to visit.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Colorado Vacation - 06/11/19 07:03 PM

haven't been to colorado since i was 15, so definitely need to plan a trip there in the near future...
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Colorado Vacation - 06/11/19 07:04 PM

I'm envious - I've never been and really want to go to Colorado at some point.

Have a wonderful time Susielou!
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/01/19 04:49 PM

We will be seeing Joe Bonamassa at Red Rocks later in August. Looking forward to it!
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/02/19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By HRH Okie Banker
We will be seeing Joe Bonamassa at Red Rocks later in August. Looking forward to it!

<--- jealous

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/03/19 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By GuitarDude
Originally Posted By HRH Okie Banker

<--- jealous

Our third time at this venue. It's spectacular. Put it on your bucket list. This time we are close at Row 10.

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/03/19 05:41 PM

Agree...it is spectacular (i've only been there once).
Posted By: Norman Paperman

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/29/19 07:46 PM

I'll have about three weeks off between semesters soon. Thinking about packing up the dog and heading to national park to recharge and do some day-hikes (he's probably not ready for backcountry).

Ideas, let them fly.
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/29/19 08:49 PM

Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Glacier and my three favorite but I am planning a trip to do Zions, Bryce Canyon and Moab in next year or so.
Posted By: Bville

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/29/19 11:00 PM

Be sure to check out the rules for dogs in the National Parks. There are restrictions in the back country. If you want to hike with a dog, aim for the National Forests instead.

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/30/19 02:19 PM

Any suggestions for the Mesa Verde area?
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/30/19 06:42 PM

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/lack-side-table-green__0314676_PE513926_S4.JPG

Re: Colorado Vacation - 07/30/19 06:42 PM

Thanks BVille. I think I misspoke. A lot of the national parks have such restrictions. National Forests, however, are pretty much open to K9 on a leash.

Re: Colorado Vacation - 08/08/19 07:12 PM

Heading to Colorado and Estes Park Saturday with an overnight stop in Denver/Morrison for a concert at the Red Rocks Amphitheater. So ready to get out of 105+ heat indexes. Rained today so hoomidity will be atrocious this afternoon!

Re: Colorado Vacation - 08/08/19 07:13 PM

Have fun! Love that place (Red Rocks i mean....the rest of Colorado i can kinda take or leave).
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Colorado Vacation - 08/08/19 07:48 PM

Please post about your trip. Colorado and Estes Park are on our bucket list.

Re: Colorado Vacation - 08/08/19 07:49 PM

Taking the pooch to San Juan National Forest (Silverton, CO) on Sunday. It'll be his first trip so we will probably do some car-camping and day hikes. Will be nice to get away for a bit.

Re: Colorado Vacation - 08/10/19 02:21 PM

We leave for Colorado Aug 26th. I can hardly wait. Have BSA audit this coming week so it will be nice to have that out of the way before we go.