what the heck is wrong with people?

Posted By: Retired DQ

what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 02:06 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...zer-cdc-warns/ar-BB17DWn9?ocid=Peregrine
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 03:43 PM

I saw this. They (USA Today) are trying to pin it on Trump, but honestly, I've heard of severe alcoholics drinking things like hand sanitizer and cough syrup well before COVID was even a thing. It's becoming an issue now because of the widespread availability of hand sanitizer, and specifically those with methanol which are coming from Mexico and are on the FDA banned list. I'd bet you the majority, if not all, of those impacted by this are alcoholics. But that's just my opinion.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 04:34 PM

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 04:37 PM

I dunno. If it is not Tanqueray, it is not happening. laugh
Posted By: Skittles

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 05:17 PM

laugh
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeeQ
I dunno. If it is not Tanqueray, it is not happening. laugh

Yeah, a Purell and tonic just doesn't have the same ring to it. wink

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 06:18 PM

LOL
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 08:00 PM

I recently purchased some hand sanitizer that smells suspiciously like tequila. Don't think I'm interested in mixing it up in a margarita though.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 08:12 PM

I know someone that drinks Dr. Tichenor mouthwash as a beer chaser, one shot after every beer. It is hardcore liquor at its base, and they are a hardcore alcoholic. likely the above is the same.
Posted By: CompliantOkie

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 08:41 PM

Where are these people finding hand sanitizer to drink? I can't even find it to clean my hands!
Wonder if these are the parents of the kids eating Tide Pods a couple years ago?
Posted By: Valley girl

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/06/20 08:52 PM

In March one of our data forms companies was able to get us hand sanitizer that was made by the Full Throttle distillery. I have had no interest in drinking it at all. It smells like floor wax stripper (for anybody old enough to remember floors that needed to be waxed).

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/07/20 01:37 PM

I told my wife about this. She said Dr. Phil had an episode a few years ago where a female alcoholic was on and her ONLY alcohol she was drinking was hand sanitizer. She was drinking a bunch of it.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/07/20 02:56 PM

I'm betting this issue is aggravated by all the distilleries that are now producing hand sanitizer and marketing it in bottles that look very much like liquor bottles. My daughter got one and the sanitizer is very watery, not thick like you're used to it being. The label reads 'Fool's Gin' and it's scented like gin too. Stupidly dangerous marketing, imho.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/07/20 03:04 PM

A local distillery also made hand sanitizer - and it ended up on the 'bad' list due to methanol.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/07/20 03:40 PM

Wow - that is scary - methanol is usually synthesized and not made through distillation. I doubt that I would be buying any of their normal products either.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/10/20 02:54 PM

We were issued hand sanitizer in spray bottles when you couldn't find any anywhere and it can from a brewery here. It smells like straight up rubbing alcohol to me though.
Posted By: HMS Pippii

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/10/20 06:33 PM

Agreeing with Jim Bedsole that this isn't Trump's fault (someone pick him up and check for head injuries). I remember years ago when they said not to use hand sanitizer on little kids who frequently put their hands in their mouth. They were popping up in the ER, effectively having tied one on because mommy wanted those little hands germ-free.

That said, some people are stupid and some alcoholics are beyond desperate.

Re: what the heck is wrong with people? - 08/11/20 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by HMS Pippii
Agreeing with Jim Bedsole that this isn't Trump's fault (someone pick him up and check for head injuries).

Another sign of the Apocalypse.