Happy Election Day 2020

Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 03:39 PM

As we all celebrate the end to the pointless political mailers and the annoying calls from pollsters and action groups, let us look forward to getting back together as a country regardless of who wins. Congratulations and thank you to all who used their privilege to vote. If you were legally able to vote and didn't, just remember you have no right to complain about your political leaders until the next time that you do your civic duty and vote.

My children taught me a powerful message the other day as we were discussing some political things over dinner when my middle child suggested we decide now to pray for whoever wins that they might be more honorable and good than they might be otherwise. God Bless America my friends.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 04:04 PM

I will be glad to replace the political calls with the extended car warrantee and Cardmember services calls. Also it is about time I took them up on the free vacation at Marriott and Hilton as promised.
Posted By: Bankwoman1

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 04:22 PM

Funny thing is, I haven't received one political call, however, Eve from Discovery Health, calls about my Apple Cloud (which I have no Apple products, and my car warrantee calls have never stopped and have actually increased.......sigh. However, I will be glad for this election to be over as it is wearing me out. While I hope the person I voted for wins, if not, I will still get up tomorrow and come to work and do what I always do......:)

Everyone have a great day!!!
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 05:24 PM

I will just be glad to watch TV without having to hear all the candidates tear each other apart!
Posted By: hmdagal

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 06:16 PM

I voted on Columbus Day and I'm still getting calls today frown
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 06:27 PM

Just glad the nonsense *should* stop...
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 07:44 PM

Yesterday, we saw a Septic Tank pumper truck that had a sense of humor.
Besides the company name, they had their slogan, “WE DELIVER POLITICAL PROMISES,”

Hope the TV, emails and flyers come to a quick halt.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by RockChucker, CAMS
let us look forward to getting back together as a country regardless of who wins.

I don't believe this will happen, the divide will continue to grow and grow as long as we keep electing the same clods over and over
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
let us look forward to getting back together as a country regardless of who wins.

I don't believe this will happen, the divide will continue to grow and grow as long as we keep electing the same clods over and over

I worry too that large chunks of the electorate, left and right, seem to have little interest in "getting back together as a country".

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by raitchjay
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore

I worry too that large chunks of the electorate, left and right, seem to have little interest in "getting back together as a country".

I worry about that too, but we can only choose how we will react and behave and do our best to be a positive influence on others.
Posted By: HMS Pippii

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/03/20 10:03 PM

Weird thing that I've noticed in my subdivision - only one neighbor that's put up an election signs, unlike my daughter's neighborhood (same suburb) where many houses have "sign gardens" Can't decide if that means anything or not, but it's really odd.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 02:01 PM

We have a mainstream media and big tech industry that are keenly interested in, invested in, and actively promoting divisiveness, not unity. As long as that continues, coming together will be extremely elusive.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by HMS Pippii
Weird thing that I've noticed in my subdivision - only one neighbor that's put up an election signs, unlike my daughter's neighborhood (same suburb) where many houses have "sign gardens" Can't decide if that means anything or not, but it's really odd.

in today's volatile world and everyone gets offended by everything, no way would I put up any type of political sign at home, place a sticker on my car, or wear an article of clothing supporting any candidate. too many people see those as targets and feel the need to do something destructive. sadly, even in the small town where I live...

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 03:47 PM

I see it as a double-edged sword....yes, people are too easily offended, but it has become a national pastime to see how many people one can offend and hate.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 03:50 PM

I had an "I Will Vote 11-3-2020" sign in my yard. I'm with Happy that showing support causes reactions that raise my anxiety to levels I don't want to deal with. And that, imho, is the saddest comment on the divisiveness that permeates the (not) United States of America.
Posted By: burkemi

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 04:57 PM

Yep. I placed my vote - but that's as far my outward political stance goes. I'm not even comfortable raising political discussions with members of my own family.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by burkemi
Yep. I placed my vote - but that's as far my outward political stance goes. I'm not even comfortable raising political discussions with members of my own family.

my BIL & SIL have hosted thanksgiving for 20+ years...this year, if "his" presidential candidate does not win, they will not host, as other family members have stated they will be voting the other candidate, and my BIL says he will no longer talk to anyone he knows voted for the other guy if the other guy wins, won't even go around them...so even if someone else hosts turkey day, he won't go...boy, family gatherings are going to be a blast...oh, did I mention that at definitely 1, and possibly 2, of his sons voted the other guy?

yeah, good times...I may start going out of town for every holiday
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 09:12 PM

I have said this more times than I can count in 2020...people have lost their d**n minds...
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 09:18 PM

I agree with you, Sarah!!

I loathe - and don't participate - in political discussions.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 09:20 PM

If i had BIL & SIL like that i would tell them that i supported the side that they did not like just to get out of what should be a mess of a thanks(?)giving.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 09:58 PM

I loathe political arguments. Political discussions are fine. We can agree or disagree, but it should always be civil. I have very good friends that I'm able to have political discussions with that are at the complete opposite end of the political spectrum from me, and that's OK.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 10:06 PM

Happy....just curious....but if his guy wins, then he's fine with all members of the family, even though their opinion of his guy (and their guy) is obviously unchanged?

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 10:09 PM

I can just add....when neither guy is your guy, and you are as put off by one as you are the other...it can be a lonely place...at least in my part of the world.
Posted By: DoS

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/04/20 10:51 PM

I can just add....when neither guy is your guy, and you are as put off by one as you are the other...it can be a lonely place...at least in my part of the world.

I couldn't agree with this more.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DoS

I couldn't agree with this more.

I am with you both.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 01:13 PM

RJ - yes, he would be okay with his guy winning and knowing people voted for the other guy. he has drunk the ultra-conservative koolaid that "the other party" is going to tax him to the end of the earth to give nothing but free stuff to all the "lazy people who will now make living off the government their full time job."

and 100% agree about when neither candidate is your guy...I've stated for several years now that people no longer vote for a candidate, they vote against a candidate. other than my current city councilman, I can't think of any recent candidate that I thought represented my thoughts on most things (of course, I do have some weird thoughts...lol)

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 01:32 PM

I really can not remember a time when I voted for someone instead of voting against someone,

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 01:55 PM

My guy has not been my guy for the last few elections. It is actually rather tiring.

I have nieces and nephews with nearly the same views. If "their guy" loses they'll go out of their way to make sure everyone else knows how badly we screwed up. There is no political discussion with them. When they start, I just simply leave.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 03:26 PM

My sister and I have had a couple of rabble-rousing arguments.......she has her "guy" (the same guy as Happy's BIL) and of course, i have no guy.....but i almost lose my lunch when she starts telling me how her guy is saving the country. I'm really sad for this country. I knew this election would solve nothing, no matter who won.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 03:29 PM

My biggest pet peeve right now.....any criticism of one "guy" immediately draws a heated response of "well he's better than YOUR guy!" (again, i have no guy)........no one can objectively look at anything.......we've gone Machiavellian to the nth degree. Anything but your guy, therefore anything my guy does to beat your guy is justified (and anything my guy believes must be right...cuz he isn't your guy...and your guy is evil...therefore, my guy is good)...not just justified......but worthy of praise.
Posted By: rainman

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 05:57 PM

A politician who I will not name said something recently that I hope we can all take to heart (I'm paraphrasing): I don't need everyone in the country to agree with me on everything. I just need us all to agree that we all love this great country, and we'll work outward from there.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by burkemi
There is no political discussion with them.

Sadly this statement applies to so many people, up to and most notably including every single person holding a political office.
Knowing they'll only be POTUS by a hair's breath should tell whoever wins he needs to realize that half the country voted against their ideas.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 06:56 PM

I really believe that the candidates are more symptom than cause. The electorate (us) has to change....and i don't mean in a left or right direction. I mean in a civil, sober, unifying direction.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 06:58 PM

I think we should retitle the thread to 'Happy Election Week 2020'.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Skittles
I think we should retitle the thread to 'Happy Election Week 2020'.

So true!
Posted By: rainman

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/05/20 09:49 PM

I really believe that the candidates are more symptom than cause. The electorate (us) has to change....and i don't mean in a left or right direction. I mean in a civil, sober, unifying direction.

To quote Meg Ryan from When Harry Met Sally: yes, YES, YES!
Posted By: HMS Pippii

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/12/20 05:28 PM

Not to start an Electoral College argument, but it is hard to vote when your guy will (and did) carry your very large county by over 10% but your vote doesn't count because more of the state always goes the other way. For example, Republicans in Illinois which will always go blue. Democrats in Oklahoma which will always go red. When you focus on local politics, it gets much easier. My guy won, my guy lost, my other guy won, and we decisively kicked out the local bully. It was worth voting.

Also - need to rename this "Happy Election Month 2020" at this point?

Here's to uniting the currently Untied States into civility and rational discussion - I pray that it happens because it really can't get much worse than families refusing to get together for Thanksgiving based on who someone else in the family voted for.

Re: Happy Election Day 2020 - 11/12/20 05:54 PM

COVID is keeping our family apart this year. The local numbers are simply ridiculous right now. Just stupid high. Really hope to see some relief there, even if only small.