"New" Phrases that make you crazy..

Posted By: MidwestCFE

"New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 02:51 PM

What are phrases that make you crazy..for no particularly good reason-but they DO....
I'll start....
Prolly - I seriously want to flick someone in the forehead when they say or type it especially in a work email

"No problem" when did this become used instead of "You're Welcome?" Do I respond "I'm glad I wasn't a problem" or does that now start a whole new conversation that I don't' really want to have either??
Posted By: Skittles

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 03:18 PM

That's one of my husband's biggest pet peeves - 'No Problem'.
Posted By: Bankwoman1

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 03:28 PM

Not long after I started at the bank, I was included in a leadership class along with about 10 other employees. One of the things I have always taken from that class was the instructor telling us that we should NEVER use "no problem" when talking/helping people. You're welcome should always be used. Every time I hear "no problem" these days I always think of her and that class.

While I probably do slip at times and do say "no problem", I always try to add you're welcome to it to correct myself. I have to say though, it's probably not something I really ever thought about until that class.

Something that drives me absolutely crazy is when someone refers to me as sweetheart or honey or hun....you get the idea....that doesn't know me. For instance, when I'm shopping and the person ringing me up refers to me as one of these. They are usually much younger than me and it just drives me crazy! Just say "Thank you" and leave it at that.....
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 03:51 PM

'No worries' is ubiquitous at my shop...
Posted By: Cowboys Fan

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 04:49 PM

Use of the word "adulting"
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 04:57 PM

I hate it when rational adults don't understand that "verse" is never a form of the word "versus".
Posted By: TMatt87

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 05:11 PM

For younger generations, "you're welcome" can sometimes be used passive aggressively or rudely. I think that's why "no problem" is used in its place in our vernacular. I use both, but generally I reserve a "you're welcome" for more meaningful things, that actually were a problem or inconvenience to me. Using "you're welcome" for every little thing dilutes it, in my view.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 05:12 PM

"No problem" doesn't bother me at all and i sometimes say it.
Posted By: burkemi

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 05:50 PM

Improper use of literally. Drives me crazy. It has been misused so much it's definition now includes figuratively. Just.....no.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 05:58 PM

"Work family"......i have great friends at work....but they aren't my "work family". And don't say "we're all in this together" when what you mean is "i screwed this up, so please fix it".
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 05:58 PM

Here's one that drives me crazy - It's a mute point. I think you mean it's a moot point.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 06:03 PM

Would a mute point be one that goes unsaid?

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 06:19 PM

Now - who's picturing a mime just about now?
Posted By: Boss Fan

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 06:28 PM

Okay that made me almost spit my coffee out all over my desk. Well stated.
Posted By: Bankwoman1

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by rlcarey
Would a mute point be one that goes unsaid?
laugh laugh LOL
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by TMatt87
For younger generations, "you're welcome" can sometimes be used passive aggressively or rudely. I think that's why "no problem" is used in its place in our vernacular. I use both, but generally I reserve a "you're welcome" for more meaningful things, that actually were a problem or inconvenience to me. Using "you're welcome" for every little thing dilutes it, in my view.

Not a phrase but an attitude that drives me crazy. Why am I supposed to adapt to someone else's generational idea that polite conversation is passive aggressive or rude? Latest one I saw was that putting a period in a text is passive aggressive to younger generations too. Seriously?!

(TMatt87, this is not aimed at you specifically. You just hit a nerve that elicited my response.)
Posted By: MidwestCFE

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 06:55 PM

someone at work said "this literally killed me", and I just couldn't stop laughing...literally...haha

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 07:06 PM

I get a chuckle listening to people pronounce the word "texts". It comes out sounding like anything from "Texas" to.....well...other stuff. People don't say "test us" for "tests" so it is really baffling to me why it's so hard for them to say "texts". I mean...if you can say "text"...just say "text" again when you mean "texts" and you'll be good.
Posted By: DoS

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 07:31 PM

when people say the ellipses.

"dot, dot, dot" drives me bonkers! It's punctuation! You don't say "question mark", why say "dot, dot, dot"?

Plus, it's only 3 periods, 4 if ending a sentence, anything else is wrong.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 07:33 PM

Do i need to go edit my ellipses above? smile I count 5 in one of them.......i just type periods until it feels good.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by raitchjay
Do i need to go edit my ellipses above? smile I count 5 in one of them.......i just type periods until it feels good.

No problem
Posted By: OldeTymeBanker

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 08:27 PM

Hearing "office" used as a verb.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldeTymeBanker
Hearing "office" used as a verb.

Thankfully, i haven't heard that one yet. I have heard "efforting" (not so much here in my bank, but on TV) starting to come into vogue.....such as, "I'm efforting to get you an answer on that question".

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/24/21 10:32 PM

I'm a millennial, but my pet peeve is the shortening of words like there's a Twitter character limitation when speaking i.e. "totes" for totally, or "probs" for probably.
Posted By: Purple Pride

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/25/21 12:50 PM

That is totes adorbs. smirk laugh

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/25/21 01:29 PM

My head literally just exploded with laughter.
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/25/21 03:22 PM

I better stop reading this thread. It is going to make me notice all sorts of things I wasn't aware of.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/25/21 04:22 PM

"I Feel like" starting every sentence. Well you wouldn't be saying it if you didn't feel /think it, now would you, no need to preface the fact that you "feel it". Happens soooooo many times during the workday and everyone does it!
Posted By: madukes

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/25/21 04:23 PM

The word "jawn" what does it even mean?
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 07:52 AM

The phrase "I can't even." You can't even, what (ellipses), finish a sentence? wink
Posted By: DoS

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by GuitarDude
The phrase "I can't even." You can't even, what (ellipses), finish a sentence? wink
you wouldn't put a comma after the ellipses ... for future reference wink
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Truffle Royale

Not a phrase but an attitude that drives me crazy. Why am I supposed to adapt to someone else's generational idea that polite conversation is passive aggressive or rude?
But, can a different generation not make the same complaint?

When someone says "no problem", "anytime!", "you bet!", "my pleasure" or so on, I am appreciative of an upbeat sincere response to my thank you.

Why ruin it for yourself by getting bent out of shape about a word or what you deem to be proper? Who has time to waste that kind of energy on something so trivial? If you cannot take the sincerity of the reply for what it is, that is in you, not on me.

That said, in keeping with the thread: 'brag on'. Wha? One brags about, not on.
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by #Just Jay
Originally Posted by Truffle Royale

Not a phrase but an attitude that drives me crazy. Why am I supposed to adapt to someone else's generational idea that polite conversation is passive aggressive or rude?
But, can a different generation not make the same complaint?

When someone says "no problem", "anytime!", "you bet!", "my pleasure" or so on, I am appreciative of an upbeat sincere response to my thank you.

Why ruin it for yourself by getting bent out of shape about a word or what you deem to be proper? Who has time to waste that kind of energy on something so trivial? If you cannot take the sincerity of the reply for what it is, that is in you, not on me.

Amen! Well said Just Jay
Posted By: SociallyInept

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 02:59 PM

^This. Language is fluid. The way things are said, and what they mean change over time. I would rather find the fun in it, then get upset about it.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 03:13 PM

My father used to admonish me for saying something was 'cool.' That was back in 1970. Language is definitely fluid.
Posted By: StormFront

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 03:47 PM

How about when someone asks "do you mind if I ....." If you don't mind, the proper answer is no (I don't mind.) Many people say "sure or yes" to "Do you mind"??? So you DO mind.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 03:48 PM

i find it is easier to just ignore people and not respond than deal with all these issues listed here...
Posted By: praBSA

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 04:29 PM

There is definitely a generational gap in speech and typing. I now get emails from recruiters and messages on linked in with smiley faces in sentences. I'm in my mid 30s so I don't mind it, its a clue into what type of person you will be dealing with.

What I do mind is a select few elder aged individuals I work with that finish emails with, "Thank you..."

Thank you what? The ellipses implies you have something else to say. Are you being passive aggressive?

On the opposite of the spectrum, it seems like 90% of the young people I deal with type "Your welcome" and not "You're welcome". I don't own a welcome, I am welcome. Thanks.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 04:45 PM

I don't follow how "thank you", especially when not actually spoken (sarcasm or hostility can make any spoken words have different meanings) is ever really passive aggressive. Just sayin.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/26/21 05:25 PM

There are several people within my bank that have the ending of 'Thank You' as part of their signature line. It actually drives me a little crazy. When I say 'thank you' - I want it to be there because I meant it and because I added it to the e-mail.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/29/21 12:17 PM

I find it sad when folks write "intensive purposes" instead of "Intents and Purposes". Bless your heart.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/29/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by praBSA
"Your welcome" and not "You're welcome". I don't own a welcome, I am welcome. Thanks.

you own when i've given it to you...

your welcome! now it is yours to give as well.

thank you...

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/29/21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
Originally Posted by praBSA
"Your welcome" and not "You're welcome". I don't own a welcome, I am welcome. Thanks.

you own when i've given it to you...

your welcome! now it is yours to give as well.

thank you...

No problem.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/30/21 05:02 PM

grin
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/30/21 08:31 PM

The generation vernacular works both ways. I cringe equally with the abbreviations and easily offended nature of the youth as I do with the condescending statements made by those older than me. For every abbreviation I deplore I also hate "I need you to step back and reassess" or "Perhaps you should consider revising your current trajectory to."

I don't know what leadership retreat some of our management went to that suggested this nonsense, but it motivates no one.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/30/21 09:36 PM

Yeah, i'm not a fan of any sentence that begins with "I need you to..."

Short of a parent talking to their kid, these 4 words together generally aren't super-appropriate.....

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/31/21 04:45 PM

let's not forget the new buzzword "pivot".

if you've never seen the movie Sergeant York with Gary Cooper, please go watch it. Then talk like he did for the next few days following your viewing. you all kin be a thankin me later...

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/31/21 04:48 PM

I reckon i can watch that. I've had a hankerin' to watch a good movie lately.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/31/21 04:50 PM

I said that in jest...but then i realized....i probably actually say "hankerin", not in jest, at least on a weekly basis. smile (And i say "reckon" on a daily basis.)
Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/31/21 05:52 PM

"We're calling about your car warranty."

Nuff said

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/31/21 08:48 PM

Hi, this is Eric from energy solutions.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 03/31/21 11:46 PM

"Your Social Security number has been suspended."

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 12:51 AM

Hi. We've been trying reach you about your car's extended warranty.
Posted By: TB 12

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 02:16 PM

I appreciate you.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 03:51 PM

My manager told me in my annual performance review that he appreciates me, and that didn't bother me at all. Frankly, it's been a tough year for all of us, and I was happy to hear it.
Posted By: rainman

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by edAudit

I've been getting more of these lately, and it's inevitably followed by "How are you doing today?" I've just run out of patience, so my standard response is: "Busy." <<click>>

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by rainman

I've been getting more of these lately, and it's inevitably followed by "How are you doing today?" I've just run out of patience, so my standard response is: "Busy." <<click>>

Wow - you're nice. My standard response is usually: "Hi, this Eri....<<CLICK>>

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by burkemi

Why are you answering the phone if you don't know the number? If it's important, they'll leave a voicemail.
Posted By: Reg Booster

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 08:07 PM

I get a chuckle listening to people pronounce the word "texts". It comes out sounding like anything from "Texas" to.....well...other stuff. People don't say "test us" for "tests" so it is really baffling to me why it's so hard for them to say "texts". I mean...if you can say "text"...just say "text" again when you mean "texts" and you'll be good.

Is the proper phrase "I just text you" or "I just texted you"? This drives me insane.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Reg Booster

Is the proper phrase "I just text you" or "I just texted you"? This drives me insane.

It's "I text-ED you". Drives me insane when people say "i just text you".
Posted By: Reg Booster

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/01/21 08:41 PM

I just like to simplify it and say "I just sent you a text"
Posted By: Melissa S

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/02/21 04:29 PM

METRICS

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/02/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by burkemi

Why are you answering the phone if you don't know the number? If it's important, they'll leave a voicemail.

I'm even less likely to check a voicemail!

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/02/21 07:27 PM

bathed (short a) instead of bathed (long a)
Posted By: RebekahL CRCM

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/06/21 02:35 PM

Like, baaathed? That's just weird!
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/06/21 02:48 PM

That how the sheep say it....
Posted By: one deer

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/06/21 03:57 PM

Your harder to reach than those cookies on the top shelf. Click

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/06/21 05:43 PM

"We've detected some unusual activity on your Amazon Account. Please press 1 (and give us a bunch of juicy personal information) to speak to a representative."

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 04/06/21 08:12 PM

I know!

My neighbor said it all the time - drove me crazy! it's baaaathed not BATHed!
Posted By: Portermi, CRCM

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 07/29/21 07:41 PM

I typically include punctuation in texts but was informed by a colleague once that I "was being too proper" in doing so.
Posted By: Portermi, CRCM

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/04/21 06:58 PM

We had a guy who would use three commas instead of periods. I called him Comma Chameleon, in honor of Culture Club.

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/04/21 08:36 PM

Perhaps that is the "New Normal"

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/04/21 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Portermi, CRCM
We had a guy who would use three commas instead of periods. I called him Comma Chameleon, in honor of Culture Club.

I'm hoping he has access to color printing, and that those 3 commas are "red, gold, and green".
Posted By: PATSGirl74

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/22/21 02:12 PM

I hate the saying I love you to the moon and back.
Posted By: Rocky P

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/22/21 03:04 PM

Instead of asking to repeat something, “say what?” Or the more common “yep”

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/22/21 03:20 PM

Yes, i'm not a fan of the "yep" that follows "thank you".
Posted By: RebekahL CRCM

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/22/21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by PatsGIRL74
I hate the saying I love you to the moon and back.

Really? I associate it with this very sweet tender kid's book: Guess How Much I Love You, to ultimately describe to a child how much a parent loves him. My kids liked the story a lot, but I thought that description still conveyed a limit, so I started telling them "I love you to the end of a circle". smile

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/22/21 08:21 PM

the new business saying of "pivot."

in haughty voice - "yes, Bill, we will pivot from scenario A to scenario B for all future pork belly sales..."
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/25/21 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rocky P
Instead of asking to repeat something, “say what?” Or the more common “yep”

For me, instead of asking to repeat something, saying "what happened?" My gut reaction is to respond "What happened is I said something to you but you were staring at your phone. As usual." wink
Posted By: PATSGirl74

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 10/29/21 03:12 PM

I find it astonishing that people are OBSESSED with everything now. Cracks me up and annoys me at the same time
Posted By: MyKidsMom

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 12/10/21 08:40 PM

me too!
Posted By: SteveDave

Re: "New" Phrases that make you crazy.. - 12/13/21 01:12 PM

There are a lot of words I will never (or likely never) use from new generations as well as the ones before me. I try to stay fresh but really my world exists around what I learned when it was the present some years ago. I love watching and listening to all the new lingo but I stay out of it. Sounds odd coming out of my mouth so I stick to what I know. I love the way language changes and it is interesting to see people deal with it.

I just watch and smile. It makes for a sweet thread to read though. This has been fun!