Football is back - finally

Posted By: HappyGilmore

Football is back - finally - 08/10/21 04:55 PM

Yes, the long awaited return of football is here starting Friday with the Bundesliga, followed saturday by the EPL, La Liga starts the next week, and throw in (haha, get the pun) Serie A and Ligue 1, and it is football heaven. about time that real sports were back on TV.
Posted By: RockChucker, CAMS

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/10/21 06:54 PM

I feel like you are speaking a foreign language... wink
Posted By: InFairness, CRCM

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/10/21 07:51 PM

In my world, football begins on September 4 at 7:30 p.m.
Posted By: raitchjay

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/10/21 08:15 PM

My team doesn't play their first game until 11:00 a.m. on September 4th.....but i can at least watch some other teams on 8-28, which at this point, i'll take.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/10/21 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by raitchjay
My team doesn't play their first game until 11:00 a.m. on September 4th.....but i can at least watch some other teams on 8-28, which at this point, i'll take.

I hear ya! I always look forward to football season.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/10/21 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by InFairness, CRCM

I hear ya! I always look forward to football season.

College football season is probably my favorite time of the year. I no longer really care about pro football....(not for any politicized reason....it just seems to lack the passion of college football for me. Seems very corporate in comparison. Probably not a fair assessment by me......but i just have very little interest).

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/10/21 09:48 PM

College football season is probably my favorite time of the year. I no longer really care about pro football....(not for any politicized reason....it just seems to lack the passion of college football for me. Seems very corporate in comparison. Probably not a fair assessment by me......but i just have very little interest).

I agree. Or maybe it's just that my local pro team is the Atlanta Falcons, who are great at getting everyone excited, then crashing.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 04:53 PM

I no longer really care about pro football....(not for any politicized reason....it just seems to lack the passion of college football for me. Seems very corporate in comparison. Probably not a fair assessment by me......but i just have very little interest).
while i do enjoy my local Bayou Bengals college team, i agree that pro American football has really moved down a path that doesn't hold my interest. probably a combination of some of the stances the league has taken, inconsistency on fines/punishment for issues on field and off, too many inconsistent calls, the posturing by players after EVERY SINGLE PLAY. add in the commentators who go on and on about nothing and everything...yeah, better things to do. think i watched 2 games last season. haven't attended in person in 10-11 years.

but, how we migrated of real football to this version is concerning...stay on topic, people! grin

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 04:58 PM

Happy....i have a "football" question for you (well, 2 questions actually):

First, when's the next World Cup?

Second, which is a bigger deal to "football" loving countries...winning the World Cup (my assumption) or the Olympic gold medal?

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
add in the commentators who go on and on about nothing and everything...

I cannot even tell you how often I turn the sound off when watching sports on TV.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 06:02 PM

add in the commentators who go on and on about nothing and everything...

I cannot even tell you how often I turn the sound off when watching sports on TV.

I used to get up early to watch College GameDay....now, since it's just a propaganda-fest, i just wait for the games to start.
Posted By: burkemi

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 06:34 PM

I have mixed feelings about the upcoming season. I used to look forward to it eagerly, but the last few seasons I have watched fewer and fewer games. Last year I don't think I watched an entire pro game from start to finish, not even the Super Bowl. I watched a few college games, but even those don't hold my interest like they used to. Happy pretty much nailed it. I'll add in the whining about their millions not being enough of a payday...hard for me to even pretend to sympathize with that.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 06:42 PM

I guess on the money issue.....i'd understand IF we were talking about them trying to milk a few million more dollars out of an orphanage or something.......but since we're talking about trying to collect what the market will bear from a bunch of wealthy owners who are raking in a lot of revenue from the sport....it really doesn't bother me. Where something brings in billions of dollars, of course the people who are actually producing the product are going to ask for what they view as their fair share of it. Pretty sure the owners aren't going to bankrupt themselves paying for the players' salaries. I get it that it's hard for us to relate....but i feel pretty confident that if the compliance industry suddenly metamorphasized into something where it became obvious to us that we could demand and receive $5 million a year....i'm pretty sure most compliance professionals wouldn't say "no, $75,000 is enough for me". Honestly.....i don't hear them "whining" about their pay...i just hear news about them signing huge contracts.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 07:10 PM

Can't remember which TE, but it was all over ESPN for a few days. His ??? $7 million ??? wasn't enough. Big difference between saying $75k is enough compared to $5 million and saying I'm under paid at $7 million compared to 10. If he's only making 75k, then sure - I support all the way. When you tell me 7 million isn't enough, nah.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 07:14 PM

Greg Olson - had to look it up. lol
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 07:15 PM

like all businesses the owners have the burden of risk. Should they be on equal footings with some one who does not have the risk?

just an example

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-pandemic-billion-revenue-loss/

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by burkemi
Can't remember which TE, but it was all over ESPN for a few days. His ??? $7 million ??? wasn't enough. Big difference between saying $75k is enough compared to $5 million and saying I'm under paid at $7 million compared to 10. If he's only making 75k, then sure - I support all the way. When you tell me 7 million isn't enough, nah.

Everything's relative. If you knew a dumb*** compliance professional who was making $150k for your bank, and you were making half that.......the $75,000 you were happy with yesterday, you suddenly aren't....at least, most people wouldn't be. I mean again.....the numbers make it harder because EVERY last professional athlete, bench-warmer on up, is making exponentially more money than us.....so yeah, i get it that it's a little hard to hear that $7 million isn't enough.....just know that for someone flipping burgers, they think the same thing if we say that $50,000, $60,000, $70,000, $80,000, $120,000, whatever the number is...."isn't enough".

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by edAudit
like all businesses the owners have the burden of risk. Should they be on equal footings with some one who does not have the risk?

just an example

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-pandemic-billion-revenue-loss/

I never said they need to be on equal footing......basically what i said is....this is capitalism at work. If you consider yourself a capitalist, there's really nothing to see here.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 07:25 PM

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 07:31 PM

Burkemi.....that's cool. We can both agree that Kentucky needs to beat Florida this year. smile

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/11/21 07:38 PM

lol. They've met their quota for the next 25 years. Gonna be a while!!!!

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/12/21 04:52 PM

they think the same thing if we say that $50,000, $60,000, $70,000, $80,000, $120,000, whatever the number is...."isn't enough".

no matter what i am making, it will never be enough. the only difference is that ESPN won't interview me, the rotten bas*****.

i make a nice salary, but will never turn down more...lol

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/12/21 04:55 PM

Happy....i have a "football" question for you (well, 2 questions actually):

First, when's the next World Cup?

Second, which is a bigger deal to "football" loving countries...winning the World Cup (my assumption) or the Olympic gold medal?
world cup qualify is well underway, the "finals" - the actual month long tournament that most people think is the WC - takes place in 2022 in Qatar.

Winning the WC is far superior than winning the olympics. for the men's olympics game, the olympics has an age rule that all but 3 players must be under the age of 23. there are no age limits for the women.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/12/21 04:58 PM

I figured as much (World Cup vs. Olympics)......that under 23 rule sounds really goofy....can't imagine the rationale behind it.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/12/21 05:47 PM

I would guess it's an old holdover rule when professional athletes weren't permitted to compete in the Olympics.100% guesswork on my part though.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/12/21 06:00 PM

I thought about that, but since we're full-blown professional in other events, that doesn't make much sense to me. But hey, lots of things don't make sense....that might be it.
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/12/21 10:01 PM

With the NCAA rules changing, there will be many players who want to get paid in one way or another. I hope this new rule doesn't lead college ball down the path of pro ball. Anytime someone else is making more than you, you aren't paid enough in pro sports.

All that said, walking into a college stadium on a crisp fall day can be magical.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/13/21 02:40 PM

I figured as much (World Cup vs. Olympics)......that under 23 rule sounds really goofy....can't imagine the rationale behind it.
it is a requirement in place since 1992. there was concern that by allowing the entire national team to play with no age restriction, it would either compete with or lessen the impact of World Cup, so this was the compromise for the men's game.

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/13/21 02:43 PM

it is a requirement in place since 1992. there was concern that by allowing the entire national team to play with no age restriction, it would either compete with or lessen the impact of World Cup, so this was the compromise for the men's game.

Ahhh...that makes sense.
Posted By: edAudit

Re: Football is back - finally - 08/13/21 03:46 PM

https://www.eeoc.gov/filing-charge-discrimination

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 02:20 PM

Burkemi.....that's cool. We can both agree that Kentucky needs to beat Florida this year. smile

Meant to bring this up yesterday..... Did you see the game!?!?! Or at least the final score? Never would have thought it. lol

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 03:43 PM

I did see it .....and loved it. I'm actually a Kentucky (football) fan because of Mark Stoops.....and i enjoy seeing any SEC blueblood getting beat.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 03:44 PM

Of course, 3-2 Florida dropped what.....5 spots? Only 2 loss team in the top 25? Kinda ridiculous.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 07:03 PM

Jay - you know in the world of college football that SEC is the upper crust, and all other conferences can only dream of the stature that the SEC possesses. just be happy they even allow non-SEC teams to even be in the top 10. grin

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 07:20 PM

Haha....yes, i realize all of that (that's ESPN's story anyway, and they're sticking to it). Of course, since OU (and Texas) will soon be joining the SEC, i'm having split personality moments now about the SEC.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 07:51 PM

Of course, 3-2 Florida dropped what.....5 spots? Only 2 loss team in the top 25? Kinda ridiculous.

Depends on the poll, I guess - but the AP Poll place KY at 16, FL at 20. (Florida the only 2 loss team).
Coach's poll - KY 14, Florida 18, Clemson 21 (Clemson is also 3-2).

But is Florida's ranking as a 2-loss team really so outlandish? They lost a close game to the Tide and another close game to KY. Assuming KY isn't simply over-rated, that's 2 losses to top 25 schools, and both losses were close. But, the real question is will they still be ranked after they get demolished by Georgia? At least for the time being, Georgia might be ranked #2, but they're the real kings of college football right now.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 08:00 PM

It's just one of those things....Kentucky really hadn't looked that good prior (you'd know better than me, but it seems like they struggled with a couple of pretty weak teams).....but suddenly when Florida loses to them (unranked as they were) it becomes a "quality loss" and Kentucky goes from nowhere to #16. Those kinda moves just aren't possible for other conferences when it comes to the AP poll. Personally, i don't understand why Florida is ranked and Baylor is not. But, i'm used to this sort of thing.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 08:00 PM

And i do agree that Georgia (at this point) looks like the best team in college football right now.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 08:17 PM

The only game I would call an unnecessary struggle was against Chattanooga. Close game that probably shouldn't have been (28-23). Won pretty easily in the opener, close games against Mizzou and SC. Florida did surprise me, but the D really came to play. I'm very curious to see what they can do against LSU. The people who know things currently give KY the edge 28-24. I sure hope so!

I can agree with the jump in ranking being more than I expected - I was looking for a 21 - 25 spot. But, nine schools in the top 25 lost, so I'm sure that had an impact. And the coach's poll was more generous to both KY and FL than the AP.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 08:39 PM

I could have lived with Florida at 25.....18 seems outlandish to me. Mizzou and SC don't look very good this year do they? I know Mizzou got drove by Tennesee and i don't know who SC has beaten.

But i'm not trying to downplay Kentucky...like i said, i'm a bit of a fan...and i'm hoping they can give Georgia a game.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 08:41 PM

Iowa State has a similar resume as Florida (close loss to a team in the top 5, another loss to a team that was once ranked...and should still be ranked..Baylor). Where's Iowa State ranked? Nowhere.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/05/21 10:00 PM

Haha....yes, i realize all of that (that's ESPN's story anyway, and they're sticking to it). Of course, since OU (and Texas) will soon be joining the SEC, i'm having split personality moments now about the SEC.

I hear Texas is reconsidering after their beat down by Arkansas.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/06/21 01:21 PM

Oh...KY will give the Dawgs a game, alright. But I'm pretty certain the game they give will be ugly.

An I really don't understand how or why Oklahoma and Texas are moving the SEC. Maybe part of the reason the SEC has as many top 25s as they do, is because half the country is in the SEC?

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/06/21 01:24 PM

Oh...KY will give the Dawgs a game, alright. But I'm pretty certain the game they give will be ugly.

An I really don't understand how or why Oklahoma and Texas are moving the SEC. Maybe part of the reason the SEC has as many top 25s as they do, is because half the country is in the SEC?

I'm looking forward to this one. Huge Dawg fan, but it's nice to see Kentucky competitive in something other than basketball.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/06/21 01:53 PM

I hear Texas is reconsidering after their beat down by Arkansas.

I have zero idea why Texas began the season with Card as their starting QB......saw Kasey Thompson in the bowl game last year and was immediately scared of him. I'm an OU guy, so if Texas wants to do stupid stuff, awesome....but that was really stupid.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/06/21 02:33 PM

I'm looking forward to this one. Huge Dawg fan, but it's nice to see Kentucky competitive in something other than basketball.

Kentucky has been doing pretty well under Stoops, but Georgia is a class above. I'm certainly hoping to see KY present a challenge, but my hopes aren't real high. But I definitely agree - nice to see them competing in something besides basketball.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/06/21 02:58 PM

I'd like Kentucky's chances to be competitive a lot better if Georgia was coming to Lexington. Tough row to hoe i'm afraid going to Athens.

Re: Football is back - finally - 10/06/21 03:10 PM

The environment in Athens is definitely a competitive advantage for Georgia.