Shrek 2

Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM

Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:14 PM

What a weekend for Shrek 2!! I just read that since it opened on Wednesday, it's brought in more than $125 million!

I helped to boost their ticket sales by taken my child to it yesterday. I thought it was pretty funny. Maybe not quite as good as the first one, but I still had a good laugh.

Did anyone else go and see it?
Posted By: JacF

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:20 PM

Yes, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Posted By: mrenderman

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:35 PM

We are taking our family this coming weekend to see it. I cannot wait. I have seen that trailers for it and it looks wonderful. I have heard though from many other people that it is not as good as the first. That's OK with me because I love donkey either way.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:36 PM

I saw it - been a while since I have been to a packed movie theater. I thought it was better than the first! (although I hear I missed some extra scenes after the credit - I hate it when they do that - what's the point!)
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:37 PM

I can't wait to see it, the first one was cute and funny!
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:44 PM

Is it the opinion of this board that I should run out and see it at the theatre rather than waiting to be subjected to it time after time week after week when it comes out on video by my 6 year old buddy?
Posted By: carrieb

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:47 PM

My two-year-old has just about worn out her DVD of the first one-and she just got it at Easter!! I wish she was big enough to go to the theatre, but it would make me nervous to take her. My hubby really wants to see the second. It was his idea. I don't think she's old enough is she?

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:49 PM

My son went to the theater for the first time when he was about 2 and a half. He did just fine. He was actually more interested in the projection room than actually watching the movie.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:53 PM

My daughter and I saw it this weekend. It was great! I thought it was better than the first one - I definitely laughed harder. Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots was too funny!
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:56 PM

Great movie. Puss'n Boots is a scene stealer! Lots of funny stuff laid between the lines, gigs of everything from Disney movies to Alien, poster of Sir Justin on the ceiling...both the adults and the children in attendance were laughing, although not usually at the same time.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 04:59 PM

I thought that Prince Charming's "Charlie's Angels" hair flip was hilarious and then when the "Nobel Steed" did it, I cracked up.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 05:14 PM

Quote:

gigs of everything from Disney movies to Alien,

My personal favorite was the OJ Simpson reference. I was still laughing about that one when I woke up the next morning.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 05:20 PM

My son was also about 2 1/2 when he went to the theatre for the first time. I remember him watching the move (Aladdin - I think) from my lap.

Looks like I'll need to go see Shrek. My son (now almost 17) saw it Friday night and liked it. Of course he went mostly because that's what 'everybody' from the party he went to was going to do.
Posted By: J2C

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 05:53 PM

I did not see it, but the line for the drive-in's this weekend was about two miles long! I don't know if they fit all those people in, but you wouldn't find me waiting for that!!!!
Posted By: MackenzieS

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 06:07 PM

My husband and I took our three year old to go see it over the weekend and LMAO at that Puss N Boots character! Its true that there is a lot of laughing from the adults and children...but at different things. My daughter would ask me why I was laughing at a certain scene and I just couldn't say!

I can't wait for it to come out on video because having a three year old in attendance does mean you miss a scene or two....overall it was great! The cat still cracks me up...

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 06:24 PM

Quote:

My two-year-old has just about worn out her DVD of the first one-and she just got it at Easter!! I wish she was big enough to go to the theatre, but it would make me nervous to take her. My hubby really wants to see the second. It was his idea. I don't think she's old enough is she?

Some theaters have what are called Mom's days to bring youg children. Here, we have Crown Theaters which during the day on Wednesdays has these things - the idea being you don;t need to worry about your child crying and disturbing others, etc.
Posted By: okstgrad

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 06:42 PM

Quote:

What a weekend for Shrek 2!! I just read that since it opened on Wednesday, it's brought in more than $125 million!

I helped to boost their ticket sales by taken my child to it yesterday. I thought it was pretty funny. Maybe not quite as good as the first one, but I still had a good laugh.

Did anyone else go and see it?

I thought it was much better than the first one. Actually I really didn't like the first one, but this one was very funny.
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 09:05 PM

I remember watching the first Shrek and enjoying it thoroughly. I also remember discussing Shrek with my wife and agreeing that we would not want our children watching it until they were much older. Just an opinion. It has been so long since we saw the first one that I can't remember which jokes we did not think were appropriate for little ones. The two of us will watch Shrek 2, but not our 2 or 4 year old.

The two kids started watching a DVD of Casper (the movie) this weekend, but the language was awful for children. We turned it off. There is even cursing in Stuart Little. Who do movie makers think the audience for these movies is? Or do they really think that parents want their children exposed to curse words at an early age? The other question I have is why do they have happy meal prizes and toys for movies small children can't even see (or shouldn't see)?
Posted By: Lissa P.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 09:40 PM

Quote:

:Who do movie makers think the audience for these movies is? Or do they really think that parents want their children exposed to curse words at an early age? The other question I have is why do they have happy meal prizes and toys for movies small children can't even see (or shouldn't see)?

Amen!!! Why are there no "G" rated movies for children any more?
Posted By: Jokerman

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/24/04 09:49 PM

Quote:

Who do movie makers think the audience for these movies is?

The issue is the same as for those self-identified "moderate" journalists from the other thread. In the little world of the movie-makers, there is nothing at all questionable about the language or double entendres in these movies. What's more, you are probably a knuckle-dragging fundamentalist for even questioning such content.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 02:36 AM

Quote:

double entendres

I think that is what got me. That and some of the sophomoric humor that I would not want my little ones repeating. Warner Brothers and others learned a long time ago how to make animated features that were funny for kids and adults alike. Just last year, Nemo got it right. The Toy Story movies got it right, but so many do not get it right.

2002 Top movies by Domestic gross: (Do you notice something missing?)

1 Spider-Man PG-13
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers PG-13
3 Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones PG
4 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets PG
5 My Big Fat Greek Wedding PG
6. Signs PG-13
7 Austin Powers in Goldmember PG-13
8 Men in Black II PG-13
9 Ice Age PG
10. Chicago PG-13

That's right, not a single solitary R rated movie! (Though I am not sure Austin Powers should not have been rated R--I did not see it.) I am not sure if this is true in 2003, but I'd bet most of the top ten were not R rated.
Posted By: carrieb

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 02:48 PM

I'm on the fence here. I do agree that inappropriate words should be left out of children's movies. However, I don't think it is harmful to a child when there is content with hidden meanings (phrases without the offensive words that kids might pick out), which, let's admit it, makes it more appealing to adults. Kids generally aren't going to remember and repeat a remark if they have no reason to believe it is funny or it means anything.

When I was little, I remember learning that anyother way to say happy is gay. My dad and I were watching TV and I called a man "gay." My dad was appalled (we know what meaning he was thinking). He scolded me to never say that about someone and I couldn't figue out what I did wrong. I really don't have much of a point here but it does show that these issues are not new.
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 03:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

double entendres

I think that is what got me. That and some of the sophomoric humor that I would not want my little ones repeating. Warner Brothers and others learned a long time ago how to make animated features that were funny for kids and adults alike. Just last year, Nemo got it right. The Toy Story movies got it right, but so many do not get it right.

1 Spider-Man PG-13
6. Signs PG-13
8 Men in Black II PG-13
9 Ice Age PG
10. Chicago PG-13

That's right, not a single solitary R rated movie! (Though I am not sure Austin Powers should not have been rated R--I did not see it.) I am not sure if this is true in 2003, but I'd bet most of the top ten were not R rated.

The reason you don't see number one rated "R" movies is there isn't enough people who can go to those movies to make it number one. These days teenagers are going to the movies more than ever. They are making their own money and spending it at the movies. It is almost a death sentence for a movie these days if it is rated "R". I don't remember the statistics but the amount of money spent on movies from kids ages 13 to 17 is huge. If the movie is rated "R" they lose all that revenue.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 04:19 PM

If we can go back to talking about Shrek 2, I thought the last 10 minutes were the funniest I have ever seen in a movie. The scene where Puss N Boots gets caught holding a dime bag of catnip and instantly says, "That's not mine" is hysterical.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 04:28 PM

My two cents-I watched Popeye cartoons as a kid but as an adult, I realize how much of that humor went over my head.
I'll wait til Shrek 2 is out on video, then I'll buy it. Gotta love the donkey!

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 04:34 PM

Quote:

If we can go back to talking about Shrek 2, I thought the last 10 minutes were the funniest I have ever seen in a movie. The scene where Puss N Boots gets caught holding a dime bag of catnip and instantly says, "That's not mine" is hysterical.

Quote:

My two cents-I watched Popeye cartoons as a kid but as an adult, I realize how much of that humor went over my head.

I guess I didn't realize that spinach wasn't spinach. Color me naive.

But thanks for making our point about inappropriate jokes (i.e., drug use) for a movie targeting children.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 05:54 PM

Quote:

But thanks for making our point about inappropriate jokes (i.e., drug use) for a movie targeting children.

Jokerman,
Actually, I just wanted to see who would be naive enough to take the bait. You win!

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 06:28 PM

Quote:

Jokerman,
Actually, I just wanted to see who would be naive enough to take the bait. You win!

Well, boy-howdy, am I embarrassed! Kudos to you, anon, for pointing out my naïveté - how simplistic of me to be concerned about what indoctrination is being presented to America's youth!

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

double entendres

1 Spider-Man PG-13
6. Signs PG-13
8 Men in Black II PG-13
9 Ice Age PG
10. Chicago PG-13

The reason you don't see number one rated "R" movies is there isn't enough people who can go to those movies to make it number one. These days teenagers are going to the movies more than ever. They are making their own money and spending it at the movies. It is almost a death sentence for a movie these days if it is rated "R". I don't remember the statistics but the amount of money spent on movies from kids ages 13 to 17 is huge. If the movie is rated "R" they lose all that revenue.

But where are the G rated movies?
Posted By: RachelD

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/25/04 06:51 PM

If she can sit through a movie at home than she can sit in a theatre.... Just bring something to prop her up because she won't be able to see over anyone.
Posted By: inaneusername

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/26/04 08:28 PM

I took my daughter to "monsters Inc." at 2 1/2. we went to a discount theater and it was the best $10 i ever spent. Since then, we have sat thru some great movies, we've also had to leave. As long as you aren't mad about "losing"the money i say go for it.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/27/04 01:11 PM

CubDave,
There was a blurb in USA Today this morning about the trailer that came on after the credits. Approximately 70% of the auidence missed them. Teaser: They answer the "Where's Dragon" question. I would describe it here, but would not want to spoil it for anyone nor would I want to be the catalyst for a diatribe on the dangers of interspecies relationships.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/27/04 01:45 PM

Thanks Ken - I just figure I'll see it when it comes to DVD - along with the 18 1/2 extra hours of bonus footage they are sure to have!
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/27/04 02:06 PM

What did you think of the scene where Pinocchio is lowered into the dungeon ala Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, complete with the MI theme music playing in the background. Pinocchio is then encouraged to lie about wearing women's underwear because they need his nose to grow, only to discover that he actually is wearing a thong. You think they were making a subtle jab at the oft repeated unanswered questions about Tom's "masculinity"?
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/27/04 06:09 PM

Man of My Life hates cartoons, but even he liked the first Shrek! Maybe I can get him to go to Shrek 2 if I tell him there's a cat in it as one of the main characters.

I would also like to see Van Helsing and Troy, but I won't be able to get MOML to agree to go. He is big time into WWII movies. We are watching a taping of Band of Brothers; on episode 8 tonight. (No CSI tonight!)
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/27/04 06:39 PM

Nanwa - my son saw Van Helsing and loved it. He said it probably had some of the best special effects he'd ever seen.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/27/04 07:11 PM

I loved Van Helsing.. but then again, I'm a Dracula/Wolfman/Dr. Frankenstein's Monster fan.
Posted By: homestar

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/27/04 11:57 PM

Quote:

Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots was too funny!

Puss in Boots was funny, but I liked Pinocchio the best. "I'm not wearing women's underwear." and "I'm a real boy." are two of the funniest lines in the movie.

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/28/04 04:58 AM

Nanwa,
Glad to take you to see Troy if the opportunity arises (will even spring for the popcorn), but I just can't mesh psyches with the Van person.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Shrek 2 - 05/28/04 12:48 PM

Pegasus, I love any movie about ancient Roman times. I watched Julius Caesar, with Marlon Brando just a couple of weeks ago. And I love the classic monster flicks, Dracula, Creature of the Black Lagoon etc. And then of course, there's Brad Pitt and Hugh Jackman, but I won't go there in this forum!

PS. Watched two episodes of Band of Brothers last night. I never, ever liked war movies (modern history) but that has to be one of the best series made on the subject. The men of Easy company are acted with depth, and, while they keep the gore factor to a minimum, they still get accross the intensity of the battles. It harkens back to the good old days of movie making, where special effects, gore and sex were not the main things to sell a movie. The story is.
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/01/04 09:30 PM

Haven't seen Shrek yet, but Troy was excellent. The 'gore factor' wasn't too bad - although it is extremely violent (isn't all war?). I really enjoyed it.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/02/04 01:53 AM

I took my son to see Shrek 2, not much of a story, but cute nonetheless. Of course, I just love Eddie Murphy, he is just too funny...

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/10/04 07:21 PM

When the donkey becomes a stallion is the best part. Only Eddie Murphy could pull that off. GREAT.....2 thumbs up!!
Posted By: Pup

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/10/04 08:52 PM

I took my (almost) 3 year old son to see Shrek 2. He sat through it except for one potty break. I asked if he liked it, he said, "No, it was loud."

I loved the movie.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/14/04 03:08 PM

I'm waiting to see the after affects of taking my 6 and 9 year old kids.

After the first Shrek the youngest picked up the "I have to save my @$$" phrase (It took 3 mouthfulls of Dawn to get him to quit saying it). There were a lot more for him to pick up and repeat in the second movie.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/14/04 05:38 PM

Quote:

After the first Shrek the youngest picked up the "I have to save my @$$" phrase (It took 3 mouthfulls of Dawn to get him to quit saying it).

Oh my goodness, poor Dawnie!
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/14/04 06:25 PM

Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/14/04 10:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After the first Shrek the youngest picked up the "I have to save my @$$" phrase (It took 3 mouthfulls of Dawn to get him to quit saying it).

Oh my goodness, poor Dawnie!

My niece uses vinegar on her son when he says bad things (her husband too). Just a drop on the finger placed on his tongue and he thinks twice about saying it again (her son not her husband - he is the one teaching the poor kid bad things.)

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/14/04 11:19 PM

Who gets the vinegar when we parents teach our kids the bad words by allowing them to see movies with inappropriate language?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/14/04 11:54 PM

I guess it would be the parents. Or you could try to pretend like you are giving the donkey a drop of vinegar for saying nasty things.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 12:38 PM

Well, I tried the soap thing once, when my little guy was about 4 years old. He threw up all over my brand-new sofa!
Nonetheless, it worked (at least until he started 2nd grade, he actually told me that he learned some of those choice words at recess!).

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 01:31 PM

You guys have convinced me of two things:

1) Shrek 2 is a very funny movie, but not as good as Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., Toy Story I and II, or Shrek.

2) My little guys will not see this movie for some time to come.

My wife recently pulled a movie (Casper, I think) right out of the player about 5 minutes into it. You should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth. You'd have thought we told them they can never have sweets again. They got over it.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 04:14 PM

Here is what may be considered a minority opinion but is one that I have given some consideration and have come, to a point, to embrace:

Sheltering a child (depending on age, of course) completely from hearing bad words, seeing bad images, etc. can cause these things to become such a novelty that when the child is inevitably exposed to them (by a friend, peer, etc.), they become "cool". I can say with great confidence that when my 10 yr. old daughter hears a word in a song that she knows she shouldn't say, she is embarassed and skips that line so she doesn't have to say the word. She doesn't swear, she doesn't treat people with disdain and she doesn't make lewd jokes, even though she has seen and heard these things done in movies over the years. Don't get me wrong, she's not watching pornography or anything like that, but even the shows on Disney have a little off-color humor, etc.

One way to relate this take on child-rearing is the PK syndrome (Preacher's Kid). Rebellion is often the response when a parent/parents expect a white-washed, secluded lifestyle from their children who live in a society where this is next to impossible to achieve.

Expose (carefully, of course) your children to some of the things that are not quite acceptable and use that to explain to them why it is not quite acceptable.

You can't teach your kids about saying no to drugs without telling them about drugs first.
Posted By: NotALawyer

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 04:44 PM

I respectfully disagree, and will use the last sentence to demonstrate.

Quote:

You can't teach your kids about saying no to drugs without telling them about drugs first.

You don’t teach your children about drugs by exposing them to drugs, you tell them about the consequences of abusing drugs. You don’t teach your children about pornography by exposing them to pornography, you tell them about the consequences. You don’t teach your children about lewd jokes and swearing by exposing them to lewd jokes and swearing, your tell them about the consequences (washing their mouths out with soap is just one of the consequences in some households.)

Quote:

One way to relate this take on child-rearing is the PK syndrome (Preacher's Kid). Rebellion is often the response when a parent/parents expect a white-washed, secluded lifestyle from their children who live in a society where this is next to impossible to achieve.

Rebellion is also often the response when anyone is authority expects anything from children who live in a society where accountability is next to impossible to expect. Sometimes PK syndrome results not from the parents rules, but from society’s expectations from the “preacher’s kid.”

I believe it is important to teach your children accountability and consequences and follow through – even if this means turning off a movie, throwing away a magazine, forbidding children from playing with certain “friends.” Their learning will come from many sources – family, friends, movies, TV, neighbors. I will voice and act on my opinion before I will sit back and let something as insignificant as a movie, or something as overpowering as society, dictate the morals of my household.

(ok…I’ll get down off my soapbox now…)

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 05:01 PM

I'm not telling anyone how to raise their child but I do strongly feel washing a kids mouth out with soap or giving them a swat on the butt is cruel and unnecessary. Sure you get the results but at what cost. We as parents are here to PROTECT our children. We are not to be hitting them or forcing objects into their mouths.

I had my mouth washed out with soap once when I was a kid. I never said the word again, but I also never found out why I should not have said that word. I didn't see anything wrong with it until much later in life. I still resent my mother for washing my mouth our with soap.

Just my views.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 05:05 PM

I respect your opinions and values, but have a bit of a problem with using consequences as a learning tool rather than simply telling them why it's wrong.

Exampe: My daughter told me that she shouldn't hit another girl because she'll get in trouble.

WRONG!!!!!!

She shouldn't hit another girl because it will hurt the other girl. The punishment is just something to remind her of that fact. I asked her why she shouldn't kill someone and she told me because then you'd go to prison.....I had to explain to her that you don't want to kill someone because you don't want that person to die. Again, the consequences to the offender are never as important as the consequences to the offendee.

To clarify, I was not saying that I intentionally subject my kids to these things. I was saying (trying to say) that I take an accidental exposure to some of these things as an opportunity to educate her about why things are not quite acceptable, etc. And yes, I believe strongly that a parent needs to educate a child about drugs, etc. and THEN explain the problems caused by drugs to individuals, society, etc. This doesn't mean that we're gonna light up first.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 05:22 PM

Quote:

Here is what may be considered a minority opinion but is one that I have given some consideration and have come, to a point, to embrace:

Sheltering a child (depending on age, of course) completely from hearing bad words, seeing bad images, etc. can cause these things to become such a novelty that when the child is inevitably exposed to them (by a friend, peer, etc.), they become "cool". I can say with great confidence that when my 10 yr. old daughter hears a word in a song that she knows she shouldn't say, she is embarassed and skips that line so she doesn't have to say the word. She doesn't swear, she doesn't treat people with disdain and she doesn't make lewd jokes, even though she has seen and heard these things done in movies over the years. Don't get me wrong, she's not watching pornography or anything like that, but even the shows on Disney have a little off-color humor, etc.

Expose (carefully, of course) your children to some of the things that are not quite acceptable and use that to explain to them why it is not quite acceptable.

Fraud Dog, I wish there were a way that I could more than completely disagree with you, but since there is not word that fully describes my disagreement, completely will have to do. The PK syndrome effects very few preacher's kids. Even those who rebel, tend to return to the values they were taught. That cannot be said for those who are exposed to disrepect, vulgarity, etc... at an early age. They tend to show disrespect and vulgarity. We can agree to disagree. I am sure you are a fine father.

Do you really think that I am secluding my kids? Trust me they are not secluded, but they are protected from TV, movies, other kids, etc, who teach values different from the ones I hold. I realize I cannot insulate them from this, but we will deal with that when it comes up through a lifetime of open communication without fear.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 05:30 PM

Quote:

I still resent my mother for washing my mouth our with soap.

I do not seek to make my kids resent me for disciplinary measures, but I will not alter my discipline merely because they resent it or me. Maybe those who resent the punishment or punisher are focusing too much on the punishment and not enough on the offense. However, if I punish my children without setting out the rules first, I should be resented. Unless I tell my child that a certain word is bad, I have no business punishing them for saying it--particularly if I exposed them to the word in the first place.

I'm betting your resentment is because your mom did not lay down the rules and the consequences first on this word. I may be wrong.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 05:49 PM

well, when I gave my son the ol' dose of soap, he had been warned repeatedly that it could happen. My guess is:
a. He didn't think I'd do it, and
b. He had no idea how awful it would taste

And he's not resentful to this day, when I bring it up jokingly (He doesn't say those things anymore, I wonder why...).

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 05:52 PM

Quote:

well, when I gave my son the ol' dose of soap, he had beened warned repeatedly that it could happen. My guess is:
a. He didn't think I'd do it, and
b. He had no idea how awful it would taste

And he's not resentful to this day, when I bring it up jokingly (He doesn't say those things anymore, I wonder why...).

That's the way to do it...clearly state the rules and the punishment and then follow through. If there is resentment for that it will be because the child is focusing on the punishment and not on the offense.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 06:19 PM

Not a Lawyer and Zaibatsu (interestingly enough, a lawyer):

My qualifier that the opinion was likely a minority opinion seems to be holding water.

When my daughter was very young (my first child), I was very strict in pretty EVERY aspect of the word. She obeyed me to a fault once she figured things out, but not for the right reasons. She wasn't learning "right" from "wrong", she was simply afraid of punishment. It was after she pretty much took to her mother for ALL of the care and fun, etc. that I realized that I was OVERparenting, which my mother did warn me about. I relaxed a bit and began to let my little girl live a little and make the mistakes I "sheltered" her from initially and the results have been phenomenal. There is an "earned" respect coming from her towards me now. There is a relationship between us that I fear would not have grown under the previous circumstances. Mostly, she has blossomed since then and her fears, anxieties and overreactions to things have calmed and she has become a very intelligent, rounded and level-headed young lady (as much as you want a 10 year old girl to be anyway). She's still a kid but has a wonderful ability to make the right decisions regarding right and wrong....without being told what is right and what is wrong. This is a skill that many lack and I connect that lacking to the OVERparenting that I was guilty of before.

Agreeing to disagree is a good idea when it comes to parenting for many reasons:
1)Z and I are very different people, I'm sure.
2)Z's kids and mine are very different people also, I'm sure.
3)Z's location and mine are very different and have different situations, social conditions, etc., I'm sure.

We all love our kids and will do what is necessary at our own expense to ensure that they grow up right and learn how to live in a world full of challenges. It seems, by the tone of this thread, that we are all individually doing what is right for our own children to blossom.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 06:33 PM

Quote:

I'm not telling anyone how to raise their child but I do strongly feel washing a kids mouth out with soap or giving them a swat on the butt is cruel and unnecessary.

Thanks for not telling me how to raise my child. I feel strongly that not disciplining your kid is cruel and irresponsible. Sure you get the results (a feeling of moral superiority, the chance to be "buddies" with your kid), but at what cost?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 06:57 PM

Quote:

She's still a kid but has a wonderful ability to make the right decisions regarding right and wrong....without being told what is right and what is wrong. This is a skill that many lack and I connect that lacking to the OVERparenting that I was guilty of before.

If she is making right decisions regarding right and wrong without being told what is right and what is wrong, maybe she's just been lucky so far. How do you know? Are you willing to take that chance? A parent's number one mandate is to teach their children right from wrong. You don't do that by just letting them guess at it. You also don't do it by just letting them make decisions and learn from their mistakes. Sometimes letting them make mistakes is the best course, but the parent sometimes has to step in. Some mistakes are too big to recover from. There has to be some guidance. Yes, you can go too far the other way (sounds like you've been there) and try to regulate their every action. This too is wrong, especially when not accompanied by any teaching of the moral reason why for the instruction.

Just out of curiousity - you mention that your daughter is doing pretty good with making choices about right and wrong without being told what is right and what is wrong. What standard defines "right" and "wrong" in your household?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not telling anyone how to raise their child but I do strongly feel washing a kids mouth out with soap or giving them a swat on the butt is cruel and unnecessary.

Thanks for not telling me how to raise my child. I feel strongly that not disciplining your kid is cruel and irresponsible. Sure you get the results (a feeling of moral superiority, the chance to be "buddies" with your kid), but at what cost?

Jokerman,

Don't make assumptions. I never said I don't discipline my children. I just don't us physical abuse (which I believe any form of hitting is) to do it. I also think the soap trick is cruel. But that is my opinion. When my child does something she is not supposed to do she is warned and told why she is not to do it. If she ignores the warning and continues she does get disciplined. The punishment depends on the crime. She may lose TV or goes to bed early. These work for me. I like to handle things different than some parents.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:02 PM

Reminds me of someting a parent once told me. They had the most wonderful first child and they thought they were doing everything right and that was why the child was so great. Then the second child came along and they did the same things. The second child was a terror! It was then that they realized that what they were doing had little to do with how wonderful their first child was. In fact, they learned that their first child was wonderful despite their efforts. With a new approach, they turned the second child around.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:04 PM

I have not read through this entire thread as there are too many posts to read so perhaps I'm commenting where I shouldn't be but regarding the last few, I think my Mom owned stock in Dove soap I had in stuffed in my mouth so often as a child. I am no worse off for such "punishment" but obviously didn't learn my lesson after the first incident as she had to use that tactic numerous times after that. So, I don't really know what I'm trying to say other than discipline and what you do or do not shelter your kids from is each parent's own decision and no one should tell them what their doing is wrong or right (barring a few extreme exceptions of course).

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:07 PM

Quote:

Jokerman,

Don't make assumptions. I never said I don't discipline my children. I just don't us physical abuse (which I believe any form of hitting is) to do it.

When did I say you didn't discipline your child? I was just expressing my opinion, not telling anyone how to raise their child.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:11 PM

Just out of curiousity - you mention that your daughter is doing pretty good with making choices about right and wrong without being told what is right and what is wrong. What standard defines "right" and "wrong" in your household?

A fair question and a difficult one to answer, to be sure. She is a caring child, first. She doesn't like to see people get hurt and is concerned when they do. She enjoys church and got upset when school was out for the Summer because she loves school. She is intelligent and has learned to not get sooooo stressed out over a math problem that it ruins her evening....and she has learned to ask for help when she needs it (she's a bit on the independent side!). She doesn't use profanity and points out when a song has a bad word in it saying that the song was really good except for that one line.

Jim, the question is more difficult to answer than I thought. Sorry. I'd say that she plays like a child and makes decisions like a young adult. She enjoys a happy medium that many kids her age don't, partly because she's got a good head on her shoulders, partly because we've done something right in "guiding" her rather than "ordering" her, and partly, no doubt, because she's been lucky. When I say that we allow her to make mistakes, please don't think that we just let her run amok and observe from a distance. That would be irresponsible!

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:18 PM

Quote:

I have not read through this entire thread as there are too many posts to read so perhaps I'm commenting where I shouldn't be but regarding the last few, I think my Mom owned stock in Dove soap I had in stuffed in my mouth so often as a child. I am no worse off for such "punishment" but obviously didn't learn my lesson after the first incident as she had to use that tactic numerous times after that. So, I don't really know what I'm trying to say other than discipline and what you do or do not shelter your kids from is each parent's own decision and no one should tell them what their doing is wrong or right (barring a few extreme exceptions of course).

You're right. It's up to the parent. I'm just stating my opinion. I have a right to my opinion and beliefs. I'm just stating that under no circumstances do I believe an adult should ever hit a child unless it is to protect them such as hit their hand away from a stove top burner.

Z...if your post is true for my children then the second will be a defiant child. Because I will not use physical violence or soap in the mouth to discipline her.
Posted By: Lissa P.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:27 PM

My husband and I had an interesting conversation last night about the way we were raised by our own parents. I was taught a healthy, respectful fear of my parents. It was a great motivation for avoiding trouble. My husband told me that he never was taught that "fear" and he WISHES HE HAD BEEN!

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:31 PM

Nikko--do you believe that spanking should be outlawed or found unconstitutional (cruel and unusual punishment)?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:50 PM

FD/Jeremy: I appreciate your candor. Let me share with you that in my household the standard for "right" and "wrong" is very clear and easy to define. It is the Bible. Does that mean that everyone in my household adheres to every mandate of the Bible? No, not for one second. But it is still the standard that we all strive for in my family. It is what we use to teach our children what is "right" and what is "wrong." It also does not mean individual snippets of the Bible especially where taken out of context. We are not sacrificing lambs on our altar, because in the context of the entire Bible the requirement to do that was replaced when Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us all.

Disciplining our children is a key role as parents. Discipline is an often misused word. Some look at discipline as only punishment. In fact, much discipline can take place in a positive vein. Discipline can include positive verbal coaching before a behavior takes place and verbal reward and recognition after right behavior takes place. Even negative discipline doesn't only include spanking. Often it can be things like taking away priviledges or things of importance to the child for a time. The discipline should always match the offense. And discipline, in my opinion, should not leave out spanking or chastisement. But any form of discipline has to be consistent with your standard for right and wrong and consistently applied or else it is doomed to failure. And that means that you first must HAVE a defined standard of "right" and "wrong".

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 07:57 PM

Well said Magic!

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:18 PM

Quote:

Nikko--do you believe that spanking should be outlawed or found unconstitutional (cruel and unusual punishment)?

In my OPINION I don't see why that question even needs to be asked. I don't see why a parent would physically hurt their child. I also don't see why they would want their child to be in fear of receiving physical pain if they do something "wrong". I never want my child to be afraid of me. But if you want a yes or no answer then I would have to side with 'yes' it should be outlawed.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:29 PM

Nikko

I find your answer frightening! I suppose we should outlaw innoculations also, they really hurt. You should have seen how my poor daughter cried when the doctor poked her with those two needles today. It would have broken your heart. Sometimes what is good for us hurts a little.

MagicBanker is correct--discipline is not always physical and is not always negative.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:34 PM

Quote:

I would have to side with 'yes' it should be outlawed.

Nikko, how dare you - I can't believe you would try to impose your beliefs on me! You can't legislate morality, you know! What's right for you isn't necessarily right for me!

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:35 PM

Quote:

In my OPINION I don't see why that question even needs to be asked. I don't see why a parent would physically hurt their child. I also don't see why they would want their child to be in fear of receiving physical pain if they do something "wrong". I never want my child to be afraid of me. But if you want a yes or no answer then I would have to side with 'yes' it should be outlawed.

As humans, we learn from pain. That pain may be physical, emotional, or psychological. Better that I as a parent use an infliction of controlled pain to teach my child so they won't have to suffer a worse uncontrolled pain later on. If a lesson can be taught without pain, so much the better. But not all lessons can be taught that way. And any punishment you mete out will lead to some level of pain. What makes inflicting emotional pain on your child by isolating them from their friends any less traumatic than the physical pain of a spanking? Are you advocating no punishment at all?

No, I don't want my child to fear me. And believe me, I know what I'm talking about here. I grew up in a physically abusive home where I was very, very afraid of my father. Chastisement, done in a correct manner at appropriate times, does not lead to a fear emotion. And again, chastisement is only one of many tools in the arsenal of an informed parent to discipline their children.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:39 PM

Quote:

The discipline should always match the offense.

Just because I like to pick nits I read an article that addressed this, albeit from a very specific and narrow perspective. (background) A parent was concerned with how to change a specific behavior in one of her children. When entering the house from coming home from school, the child would drop his backpack, coat and shoes in the middle of the floor and proceed to live the life of a 10-year old (“Can I have a snack”, video games, homework, whatever comes to mind). The parent had tried numerous times to convince the child to pick up his things including different types of punishment (threats of grounding, etc). In the end, the parent was given advice to ground the child to his bed for the remainder of the afternoon when it happened again.

Now for the article.

The article began with the parent writing back in to argue about the advice saying it was “unfair” and did not “match the offense.” The author responded back without any sympathy and said that the end goal in this case was not to punish the child, but to correct the behavior.

Mind, this should not be applied to all situations, just those that make sense. Too bad common sense is so difficult to pin down and describe…

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:42 PM

I forgot to add...

I haven't seen the movie yet. But I'm looking forward to it, and I'll be taking my 4-almost-5-year old.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:47 PM

Quote:

Nikko

I find your answer frightening! I suppose we should outlaw innoculations also, they really hurt. You should have seen how my poor daughter cried when the doctor poked her with those two needles today. It would have broken your heart. Sometimes what is good for us hurts a little.

MagicBanker is correct--discipline is not always physical and is not always negative.

If you noted before I mentioned if you hit a kids hand way from a hot stove you are doing this to protect them. If you give them a vaccination shot this is to protect them. If you spank them for spilling milk or any other thing they do "wrong" (exept something that may harm them or others) you are not protecting them. Therefore, I find it wrong.

Magic is right there are other ways to discipline than physical and that is the path I choose for my kids. Other than what I mentioned above I don't see how anyone can justify physically harming a child in the name of discipline. I will never change my view on this, as you may never change yours. That is our own choice to make.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:49 PM

Quote:

That is our own choice to make.

How can you say this and at the same time say it should be outlawed?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nikko, how dare you - I can't believe you would try to impose your beliefs on me! You can't legislate morality, you know! What's right for you isn't necessarily right for me!

I didn't impose my beliefs on you. I answered the question as asked. I would have to have power over you to implement my belief to impose them on you. Just because I state my belief does not mean I am imposing those beliefs on you. I don't have the power to change the law.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 08:53 PM

Quote:

If you spank them for spilling milk or any other thing they do "wrong" (exept something that may harm them or others) you are not protecting them. Therefore, I find it wrong.

Spilling milk is in itself neither "right" nor "wrong". It is morally neutral. However, if you had instructed your child to stop throwing a ball across the table, and the child continued and as a result spilled the milk, this is "wrong" and should be punished. Is chastisement the appropriate punishment? Maybe and maybe not. It depends on a lot of variables. But Nikko, you didn't answer the question as to why parental infliction of controlled emotional pain is preferable to parental infliction of controlled physical pain.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:05 PM

Quote:

My husband and I had an interesting conversation last night about the way we were raised by our own parents. I was taught a healthy, respectful fear of my parents. It was a great motivation for avoiding trouble. My husband told me that he never was taught that "fear" and he WISHES HE HAD BEEN!

One of the main reasons that kids are bringing guns to school, shoplifting, shooting their friends, etc. etc. is the proliferation of two ideas. First, the idea that disciplining your child with a spanking is abusive. It worked for CENTURIES, and frankly, I hold to the biblical proverb "He that spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him promptly" (Proverbs 13:24).

What is abusive is raising children who do not have a healthy respect for their parents, and who, NO ignore them. How well do "time outs" really work? That depends on whether you think being sent to your room actually is effective punishment. The only effect it has is that the parent avoids disciplining their child.

The second problem plaguing the nation is the fact that people no longer hold fast to a concept of objective moral theory. Too many people seem to think that there is no right or wrong, only situational ethics. Guess what, murder is always wrong, taking a gun to school is always wrong, but because we lack strong ethics in this country now it happens far too frequently.

I was raised in a household where when I screwed up as a young child, I was given a light spanking. When I was old enough to really understand the concepts of right/wrong and crime/punishment, the severity of the spanking increased. In fact, I was allowed to go out back and pick the switch that would be used to discipline me. I remember quite well that if my Father and Mother said not to do something, I would face serious consequences if I ignored their wishes or did the wrong thing. I recently had a discussion with my father about this, and and he laughed at me, telling me that although I remember him telling me to pick the switch often, he rarely USED it. The walk out back to decide what kind of spanking I wanted gave me time to consider what I had done. I would then take the switch to my room and await my punishment. Both my father and mother told me that the knowledge and threat of being whipped were more than enough to keep me doing the right thing. It worked as a deterrant to doing bad things when I knew if I did them I would get a whipping.

What's funny about this is that according to my father, my mother, AND my grandmother, I was never spanked with any "weapon", and I was never spanked hard. But knowing it could happen worked.

I pity children who aren't brought up with at least some fear and respect for their parents. Parents who are their children's friends are good parents. Parents who are their children's BUDDIES are horrible parents.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, what's right is right. We DO legislate morality (no murder, no theft, etc. etc.) Sorry to burst your bubble.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:08 PM

In our house spankings are only for direct defiance/direct disobedience/smart mouth responses. No other offenses in the house is a spanking offense. Mistakes are not punishable. Failure to perform chores etc... are not spanking offenses--those are rather opportunities for teaching responsibility.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:11 PM

Jumping right into the thick of things.....When my son was about 10, I learned that he and a few friends went out a window on our third floor flat roof, which is only about 4'X6'. I sat him down to explain what could have happened. If he fell off and died, that wouldn't necessarily be the worst that could happen. He might strike his back across the stair rail below and become paralyzed or crack his head open and become a vegetable. He would spend the rest of his life in a wheel chair and his friends would stop coming to see him. I'd have to put a hospital bed in the dining room and make his food in a blender and feed it to him thru a tube. By the time I finished painting this gruesome picture, his lip was quivering and the tears were falling. He offered to accept whatever punishment I dished out. After a big hug, I told him sitting and listening to me was his punisment and he never went on the roof again. The moral of the story? I really wanted to slap him and say "What? Are you crazy!" But I think this method worked much better in the long run.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:12 PM

I just don't believe in physical violence for disciplining a child. Because they can't defend themselves. A 6 year old is no match for an adult physically. They also may not be a match emotionally but at least they can fight back. They may lose and be upset but there won't be any bruise the next day.
I believe spanking leaves physical pain as well as emotional pain. To me it seems the child is being punished twice.

I know some of you disagree with me. That is your right. I'm not trying to impose my belief system on you. I am just stating my beliefs.

Are you questioning me to learn why I believe these things or to try and prove my beliefs are invalid?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:12 PM

Spanking is also age-oriented. Spanking an 11- or 12-year old is rarely the correct discipline for a child that old. But for a 3- or 4-year old it is more suitable as a punishment because they often cannot correctly identify with and learn from emotional pain.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, what's right is right. We DO legislate morality (no murder, no theft, etc. etc.) Sorry to burst your bubble.

It's not the morality of murder that is legislated, but the fact that murder impedes on the rights of those being murdered. Just as someone said in a thread not too long ago, "You have the right to swing your arms in a 360 degree circle, until you hit someone."

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:25 PM

This has really gotten off what the first posting was about. I have seen the first Shrek and plan to see Shrek 2 tonight.
Okay on the other discussion which has taken over. I believe there has to be a degree of fear in our children. I believe that that is what is wrong with a lot of children these days, they fear nothing. When I was coming up if you got in trouble at school you were in trouble when you got home. Now children know that the teachers nor the parents are going to do anything for them to fear. I was raised with spankings and so was my son. Neither were abused. I am a responsible adult and so is my son.
I do believe that each parent has to raise their child in the way that they feel is best for their child. I would never tell another parent what they should or shouln't do with their child and in turn they should let me raise mine my way. I do not believe that the government should tell any parent how to raise their child. As long as they are not physically or mentally abusing the child the government should stay out of it. Just my feeling, not trying to impose on anyone else.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 09:36 PM

I respect anyone's opinion to spank or not spank their child. I do not respect anyone who physically harms their child while doing it. I do not respect anyone who wants to pass a law to outlaw reasonable corporal punishment in my house.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 10:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't impose my beliefs on you.

I didn't say you did. I pointed out that you wanted to.

Quote:

I would have to have power over you to implement my belief to impose them on you. Just because I state my belief does not mean I am imposing those beliefs on you. I don't have the power to change the law.

We live in a democratic republic. The will of the people is the supreme law, and all that. So you do, in fact, have power over me.

Some apparently didn't pick up on the fact that I was lampooning moral relativism by my questioning of you, Nikko, so here's one from your archives to help drive home the point:

Quote:

Even if I am not very comfortable seeing gays marry, do I have the right to tell them that they can't?

Let me ask you, even if you are not very comfortable seeing me spank my child, do you have thr right to tell me that I can't?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/15/04 11:16 PM

Quote:

I just don't believe in physical violence for disciplining a child. Because they can't defend themselves. A 6 year old is no match for an adult physically. They also may not be a match emotionally but at least they can fight back. They may lose and be upset but there won't be any bruise the next day.
I believe spanking leaves physical pain as well as emotional pain. To me it seems the child is being punished twice.

I know some of you disagree with me. That is your right. I'm not trying to impose my belief system on you. I am just stating my beliefs.

Are you questioning me to learn why I believe these things or to try and prove my beliefs are invalid?

Nikko, I have to say I agree with you to a point (I don't think making spanking a crime is the answer)

I think it is so hypocriticle when a parent slaps a child for hitting. They are saying "it is not ok for you to hurt the person you hit but it is ok for me to hit you because I am bigger and want to teach you a lesson" How stupid.

My daughter is now 28 and was raised without spanking. She was disiplined and punished when necessary. It is amazing what a firm voice can do. She used to say that her dad had a certain look that made her feel worse than any spanking ever could.

I also believe that parents are too soft on kids today. When trying to make a child behave you shouldn't be saying "Now hunny, you know mommy doesn't like it when you do that" in that sweet sing-songy voice. ARGGGGGH. Stating in a firm deep voice that what they are doing is not acceptable and they better stop it now or they will be punished for the behavior is what is needed. I think too often parents let a childs behavior irritate them until they are at the breaking point and then they strike out. That is when the disipline becomes abusive. I am speaking from 18 years of an abusive relationship with my parents.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 06:50 AM

So - would y'all recommend SHREK this weekend or not?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 12:10 PM

LOL Bonnie, good question.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 12:55 PM

I really enjoyed Shrek 2. Thought it was better than the first one.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 01:25 PM

Bonnie and Waldensouth,
What are you trying to do, hijack this thread? Now, let's get back to the original topic: NPR should not be funded with tax dollars, primarily because I don't agree with what they say...

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 01:44 PM

Quote:

...Now, let's get back to the original topic: NPR...

baiting...baiting...

nah.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 02:47 PM

Quote:

So - would y'all recommend SHREK this weekend or not?

Yes.....I also thought it was better than the first one. I saw it with my 3 yr. old and I plan on seeing it in theatres again!

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 02:59 PM

Want to watch the first 5 minutes of Shrek 2? First Five

I have not seen it, but I understand that no one gets spanked or soap in their mouths--at least in the first 5 minutes. And the film is made from 100% recycled materials. So, no trees gave their lives in the making of the movie; however, a few small shrubberies were severely pummeled.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 03:00 PM

bring us...a shrubbery!

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 03:36 PM

Quote:

I have not seen it, but I understand that no one gets spanked or soap in their mouths--at least in the first 5 minutes. And the film is made from 100% recycled materials. So, no trees gave their lives in the making of the movie; however, a few small shrubberies were severely pummeled.

I also understand that the producers, seeking to avoid debate among the banking community, deleted a scene in which Shrek is seen putting cash in a safe deposit box.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I also understand that the producers, seeking to avoid debate among the banking community, deleted a scene in which Shrek is seen putting cash in a safe deposit box.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 03:53 PM

Did somebody say something about putting an ass in a safe deposit box?

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 04:33 PM

Quote:

bring us...a shrubbery!

then....cut down the tallest tree in the forest....with......a herring!!
Posted By: Tisa

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 09:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL.

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/16/04 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL.

Man I hate when they start that plummeling. Such a mess it creates.

Shrek may not be putting money in a safe deposit box but he is laughing all the way to the bank.
Posted By: deppfan

Re: Shrek 2 - 06/17/04 04:05 AM

LMAO The picture of Gilda gave me the best chuckle I've had all day. She was a true queen of comedy, and that particular character was hysterical. Anybody else LOVE that era of Saturday Night Live? If so, we should start a thread. Okay, hijack over, please return to Shrek.