Smarty Jones

Posted By: Anonymous

Smarty Jones - 06/03/04 03:40 PM

Anybody else excited about the Belmont Saturday.

This is the first time I can remember ever being excited over one horse. In the past, I might watch if I happen to catch any of the races while at home. But this time I will be disappointed if Smarty doesn/t win.

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/03/04 03:45 PM

Smarty will have his work cut out for him since the horse drew the 9th position. He will not be able to horse around in this race.
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/03/04 05:03 PM

Quote:

He will not be able to horse around in this race.

GROAN! This wasn't even punny! Actually the way he ran last time the longer length of this race is in his favor. I think he'll actually pull off the triple crown.
Posted By: Jay Bruce

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/03/04 05:31 PM

Quote:

He will not be able to horse around in this race.

Right. It's time for him to "pony up"!
Posted By: DeeQ

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/03/04 05:54 PM

I am excited too, we haven't had a triple crwon winner in a while. A group of us from the bank are going to the local racetrack that day, for a day of fun. It was coincidental it was the same day as the Belmont.
I can't wait, I hope the weather's nice!

Go Smarty GO!

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/03/04 05:56 PM

With all these really bad puns going around, maybe we should be referring to him as Smarty Pants!
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 03:57 PM

I've been watching horse racing since the mid 60's. I've watched some very nice and some great horses go through the Triple Crown series - Majestic Prince, Cannonero II, Riva Ridge, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Alydar Spectacular Bid, Ferdinand , Alysheba, Risen Star, Genuine Risk, AP Indy, Unbridled, Sunday Silence, Easy Goer, Swale, Silver Charm, Real Quiet, Charismatic, Point Given, War Emblem, Funny Cide.

Serious fans of racing know this horse is very, very special. While anything can happen in a horse race (Spectacular Bid should have smashed 'em in the Belmont....), if Smarty Jones runs the races he's been running since day 1, then the others are all racing for second.

If you get a chance to catch the A&E Biography on Smarty, you will learn what an incredible story goes along with this horse.

BTW - Post Position 9 was exactly the post position that John Servis could have hoped for. As long as the jockey keeps his wits about him, it means that Smarty can control the race.

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 04:49 PM

Hey Bonnie, we are going to the track tomorrow and plan to see the simulcast. How should I bet on the Belmont?
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 06:02 PM

Not meaning to be ignorant, but if I'm not at work, I'm out riding/working horses or showing..so I'm clueless as to what is race time and what network is carrying the race...any info would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 06:56 PM

The race will be Saturday, probably between 4 and 5 PM central time. Not sure of the network.

I remember as a teenager working at a delicatessen, Saturday afternoons were slow, so we would listen to the radio. For the triple crown races, the boss would write the names of the horses on strips of paper, put them in a hat and let us draw, so we each had a horse to root for! At sixteen, we hadn't a clue who was running or how to pick a winner, so this way, it made the race fun!

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 07:52 PM

Post Time: 6:38 p.m. ET
TV: NBC (5:30-7 p.m.)
Posted By: GreatBlue

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 07:55 PM

Quote:

I am excited too, we haven't had a triple crwon winner in a while.

How long has it been? Does anyone know? I'm sure Bonnie does, but she might not make it back to this thread until 3:00 tomorrow morning.
Posted By: AnnL

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 08:02 PM

Last triple Crown winner was in 1978--Affirmed

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 08:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks! 25 years...that's a long time!!!! Prior to that it was more regular it seems.
Posted By: cbu3

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 08:24 PM

I'm rooting for Smarty! I heard that chances of rain for the Belmost track are pretty high for tomorrow. Somewhere I heard that Smarty enjoys an off track, and his Kentucky Derby win would bear that out.

Like Bonnie, I remember growing up watching those great horses . . . and crying my heart out when Ruffian broke down in the match race with Foolish Pleasure and had to be put down. You never know what can happen in a horse race!

Wishing a safe race to all!
Posted By: BettyBoop

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 10:27 PM

I really hope he wins, He's a great horse and it would be very exciting to see him cross that finish line first.
He deserves the triple crown.
Posted By: BettyBoop

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 10:31 PM

It's supposed to rain but I don't think that will dampen his chances, he's proven himself on a muddy track before.
I think you're right if the jockey can keep his cool and get a good pace and keep it til the end he can win. It's a mile & 1/2 track.

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/04/04 10:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks! 25 years...that's a long time!!!! Prior to that it was more regular it seems.

Actually it's been 26 years and is the longest period of time between Triple Crown winners.

The prior "dry spell" was after Citation won the Triple Crown in 1948. It would take 25 years before another horse, Secretariat, could claim the Crown.

Then, in 1977 Seattle Slew won, and in 1978 Affirmed won (with Alydar a VERY close second in all 3 races!). In 1979 it seemed a foregone conclusion that Spectacular Bid would win based on his dominance as a 2 year old and 3 year old. But supposedly the Bid stepped on a safety pin in his stall the morning of the race and that, combined with a TERRIBLE ride by his jockey, cost him the Crown.

Funny thing, up until Secretariat, many race fans and experts decided that the Triple Crown was too difficult and no horse would ever win again. Then we had just about 3 in a row. By the time the Bid came up, people were thinking that the Triple Crown was too easy.

The racing godz can be cruel and they punished the fans for their scorn. After The Bid lost, no other horse has been able to win, although we've come close - the closest being Real Quiet losing the TC by a nostril to Victory Gallop in the Belmont.

Also, since The Bid, most people have thought the Triple Crown contenders were not "worthy", and the racing godz have been more than happy to oblige.

Smarty looks like the real deal, and his trainer seems like a true horseman, and his jockey seems like he knows how to keep his cool.

Go Smarty!

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/07/04 12:13 PM

on my part. Poor Smarty.

But, my guy won on Birdstone...
Posted By: Pup

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/07/04 04:54 PM

Most upsetting....but as his jockey said afterward, that's horseracing. Bonnie, any commentary on why he lost? It seemed to me from watching the race that he just wasn't paced very well. They all looked very labored in the homestretch with Birdstone having saved up a little more.

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/07/04 05:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually it's been 26 years and is the longest period of time between Triple Crown winners.

Well, I was trying to have a good omen...now it is 26 years..Poor Smarty..they said he never settled for this race. He was worthy, for sure...and will still be one of those "history-making" horses, I believe. I felt for his owners...the old man looked so lost...The jockey has class and so does the trainer...kudo's to them.

One interesting thing...our FL state barrel racing finals where this past week/weekend...they stopped the show long enuf for the race to run..I thought that was really neat.

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/07/04 05:15 PM

Can you believe the money that horse is making for acting as a stud now though? Offers of over $50 MILLION! Man, talk about a lucky guy!

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/07/04 05:21 PM

Quote:

Can you believe the money that horse is making for acting as a stud now though? Offers of over $50 MILLION! Man, talk about a lucky guy!

The horse or the owner?

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/07/04 05:21 PM

Quote:

Most upsetting....but as his jockey said afterward, that's horseracing. Bonnie, any commentary on why he lost? It seemed to me from watching the race that he just wasn't paced very well. They all looked very labored in the homestretch with Birdstone having saved up a little more.

I think it was a combination of things: This horse has had a very demanding schedule so far, and both the Derby and Preakness tracks were very tiring.

Servis felt he hadn't been able to get the horse to relax enough, and it did seem he was too close too early in the race.

I also think everyone was concentrating on the wrong horses, Rock Hard Ten, Purge and Eddington - each of whom tried to make a run at Smarty. He put those challengers away easily enough, but didn't have enough gas left over to hold off Birdstone in the final 16th of a mile.

Well - if he goes on to have a career similar to Spectacular Bid, he will still be a history making horse. I look forward to seeing a rested and refreshed Smarty Jones compete later this year.

As far as the stud deals, how would you like to be one of the stallions that didn't do so well, and now you're role is relegated to that of the "Teaser!"

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/07/04 06:56 PM

Quote:

As far as the stud deals, how would you like to be one of the stallions that didn't do so well, and now you're role is relegated to that of the "Teaser!"

LOL oh tooo funny Bonnie!
Posted By: J2C

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/07/04 08:53 PM

Birdstone- Well, I have to say that I am quite happy that Birdstone won. Being from Saratoga and all, Ms. Whitney lives about 5 miles away from me! She is quite stuck up, but we here, are somewhat happy- as we were with Funny Cide last year.
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/09/04 08:22 PM

I felt bad for the owner of the winning horse. She was apologizing for beating the favorite! She should have been on clound nine, but instead felt like the bad guy for being an upset.
Posted By: J2C

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/09/04 09:22 PM

Oh, I am sure she IS on cloud 9, but she was on the local news saying that she would have really liked to see Smarty win. I believe she is probably speaking the truth, but I am sure she is enjoying that cha-ching noise in her pocket!

Re: Smarty Jones - 06/10/04 01:53 AM

Birdstone is, like Smarty, a home-bred meaning the owner also owned the mare and selected the stallion.

Mary Lou Whitney went through quite a bit of trouble to get the mare back after her husband's will ordered all of the horses to be sold after his death. (There is quite a story behind that too!)

Birdstone was such a runty colt that not many people believed in him except Ms. Whitney, the trainer Nick Zito, and the assistant trainer.

Mary Lou Whitney does not need any more money, but I think she felt her little colt was vindicated in the race. I think she felt bad that the vindication had to come at the expense of Smarty's crown.