Back to School?

Posted By: TrueBlueBanker

Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:27 AM

My wife is a school teacher and she has to report back to work tomorrow August,4th. Students report back Monday August,9th. It's seems to get earlier every year. I remember in my school years we did not take back in from summer break until the day after Labor Day holiday. My wife and I are curious. When does your local school start their school year? Please tell us when and the city and state. We are trying to get a feel nationally about start times. Thanks!
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 11:20 AM

New Albany, IN - August 12
Posted By: Princess Leia

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 11:43 AM

I believe there is a state law in MN that public schools can not start until after Labor Day. My son starts 9/7, but most private schools are starting the week before.
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 11:47 AM

In my part of Texas (Central) they start Aug. 16.

I too remember Labor Day and being the school year trigger.

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 11:52 AM

Since Summer didn't really start here until July this year - I can't imagine starting any earlier !

TrueBlue - when did they get out of school? We got out the 2nd week of June.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:15 PM

South Louisiana, August 13. When I was a young tot growing up in Ft Worth, we did not start until after labor day. But we only had 3 days off at Thanksging, just from Dec 24, -Jan 1, 2 days at Easter, no spring break, and we finfished at the end of may. Number of school days has not changed, but now they get teacher in service days (4 per year), 1 week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week at Easter, 2-3 days for Spring break, MLK day, 3 day for Mardi Gras, and most national holidays (didn't egt these when I was a kid). I think we are seeing more days off during the year, which shortens the summer break.
Posted By: Okie Dokie

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:18 PM

My kids start back Aug. 11 (they got out May 19th). The school in the town about 15 miles from here starts tomorrow.
Posted By: Bartman

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:20 PM

SW Michigan, Monday August 30. They get Friday of that week off for a 4-day Labor Day weekend.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:32 PM

That MN law must have been overturned because school starts here August 30 and the school 12 miles down the road starts September 1. I live in a Northern Minnesota tourist town.
Posted By: kw@fnb

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:34 PM

Beatrice, NE - August 19th
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:35 PM

Cincinnati Catholic School.... August 20somethingth... I better find out for sure I guess!

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:38 PM

Wasn't sure about the law - I heard rumblings about it being overturned this year especially since Labor Day is so late. I'm in the Metro area.

I grew up in a Northern MN tourist town and we were day after Labor Day - before Memorial Day. Like the poster in Louisiana, we had shorter vacations throughout the year. I liked it that way and wish it were still that way - its difficult to balance work/daycare with an 8 year old who isn't old enough to stay home alone and doesn't want "day care" on all those days off throughout the year. I'm sure most parents are in the same boat.
Posted By: Tricia

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 01:54 PM

Central Illinois...August 25th. It was about the same time last year...about 1 1/2 weeks before Labor Day.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 02:21 PM

WI passed a law a year ago making it after Labor Day to keep the working teens at places like Wisconsin Dells through the holiday. The tourism industry has a great lobby.

Funny thing is, this year because Labor Day is "late" the kids in Madison are starting back the 1st. They must not have taken years like this one into consideration when they drafted the law. I smell an amendment coming.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 02:29 PM

Businesses in my town that rely on tourist activity are pretty up in arms about the early start of the school year. When I was in school it was the same as you...start after Labor Day, done by Memorial Day. Not even close to as many days off as they have now. I enjoyed the full three months of summer! I have a certain amount of empathy for the businesses as much of their work force is teenagers and when school starts early they are struggling to cover the hours.
Posted By: HMS Pippii

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 02:37 PM

Lawrence, KS - not sure when they start (mine are out!!!) but when I came in this morning, the high school across the street has obviously started band camp (sounds great!) so it must not be too much longer.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 03:04 PM

Metuchen, NJ - Sept 8th
Posted By: redsfan

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 03:05 PM

Carmel, In - August 17.
Posted By: Nick

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 03:34 PM

My son started school on Monday Aug. 2. Where I work school Started today Aug. 4.
Central Kentucky
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 04:22 PM

SW Mississippi, the catholic school that my kids DID attend starts Aug. 10. Up until a couple of years ago it was app. 1 week later.

The baby leaves for college Sunday!!!!! Classes start the 23rd. He has to be there early for soccer.

Let's see-----
got plenty of wine,
several new recipes,
lots of mixers,
new books,
remote,
Yea, I'm ready for the empty nest!!!!!
Posted By: carrieb

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 09:02 PM

Kingsford, MI
We always started the day after Labor Day and the last week was the week of Memorial Day. I think some relatives had told me that they start on Aug. 30th this year. They do seem to be going later though. My birthday is June 8th and I only remember having to go to school on my birthday one time because we had to make up many snow days. Nowadays, it seems like every year they go at least that long.

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 09:32 PM

In Oklahoma it is around the 12th - 19th, BUT some school systmes aren't until after Labor Day. The reason for starting earlier is to have Mid-Term testing over BEFORE the holiday break in December.
Posted By: Jay Bruce

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 09:39 PM

Ugh! The school-year for my daughter begins in 15 days, and that can mean only one thing....the first dreaded school fund-raiser can only be 16 days away.

Anybody want to buy some wrapping paper or flower seeds?
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 09:47 PM

Quote:

Ugh! The school-year for my daughter begins in 15 days, and that can mean only one thing....the first dreaded school fund-raiser can only be 16 days away.

Anybody want to buy some wrapping paper or flower seeds?

No, but I am anxiously awaiting my first "Marketday" order... the apple pies are fantastic!
Posted By: Compliance Mom

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 09:56 PM

August 4, Henderson County, TN

Re: Back to School? - 08/04/04 10:05 PM

west Tennessee: August 4th Registration. First full day August 6th.

Re: Back to School? - 08/05/04 12:09 AM

Washington State - August 31, but we normally get out in early June.
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: Back to School? - 08/05/04 12:50 AM

September 1 in Anchorage for the teachers and the 7th for students.