New Year's Day Dinner

Posted By: kfh

New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 03:30 PM

We were discussing what is served for dinner on New Year's Day this morning. As a girl who's never lived anywhere but Georgia, I can't imagine having anything other than greens (turnip or collard) with cornbread, black eyed peas and chicken and dumplins. And, since it's my Daddy's birthday, we always have chocolate cake.

Since we are located close to Atlanta, we have lots of transplants - some who don't even know what collards are. So that got me thinking, what are y'all having for New Years Day Dinner?
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 03:34 PM

Homemade tortellini in broth (my Nonna made them), Roasted duck (I am not sure yet how I will cook it), wild rice, spinach and bacon salad.
Posted By: obx nut

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 03:34 PM

Pork & sauerkraut is a traditional New Year's Day dinner. It's supposed to bring good luck. Not sure if I will make it or not though. I LOVE sauerkraut, unfortunately it doesn't love me......
Posted By: kfh

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 03:37 PM

Are you from Ohio? That's what my next-cube-neighboor says her family always has.
Posted By: JacF

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 03:45 PM

Pork & sauerkraut is a popular New Year's dinner in PA as well, especially with the PA Dutch folks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 03:48 PM

We have always had steak and shrimp. A lot of people here do that on New Year's Eve but we always save it for New Year's Day.
Posted By: Beagles22

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 03:48 PM

Quote:

We have always had steak and shrimp. A lot of people here do that on New Year's Eve but we always save it for New Year's Day.

Sorry! That was me!
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 03:49 PM

Quote:

Pork & sauerkraut is a traditional New Year's Day dinner. It's supposed to bring good luck. Not sure if I will make it or not though. I LOVE sauerkraut, unfortunately it doesn't love me......

That's what I'm having! And dumb me spent way too much at the market yesterday and forgot to buy the stupid pork chops:P

Pork Chops slow cooked with kapusta (sauerkraut) and served over smashed potatos with scallions.
Posted By: obx nut

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 04:20 PM

KFH...yep I am from Ohio, of German heritage as well. Sauerkraut is a delicacy to me.......
Posted By: deppfan

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 04:22 PM

Quote:

I can't imagine having anything other than greens (turnip or collard) with cornbread, black eyed peas and chicken and dumplins.

Ditto, except we fry the bird.
Posted By: E.E.G.B

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 04:28 PM

We're having ham & black eyed peas & cornbread. Not sure what for dessert - maybe a brownie pie or something like that.
Posted By: Tyke

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 04:29 PM

Originally from Bama, we always have black-eyed peas(represents the silver for the year, collard greens for the green backs with hog jowl and pork chops for good luck, and of course cornbread. I just love southern food!
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 04:40 PM

Posole (hominy stew with green or red chiles and pork) is a traditional good luck New Years dish in New Mexico, so we'll be having that, along with black eyed peas!

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 04:48 PM

Quote:

Posole (hominy stew with green or red chiles and pork) is a traditional good luck New Years dish in New Mexico, so we'll be having that, along with black eyed peas!

Any idea where to get some Hatch Green Chiles that will ship them to Michigan

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Probably not in time for New Years, but Try Here!
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 05:00 PM

The family tradition has been that we have oyster stew and ham sandwiches on New Year's eve. I'll drive 3 1/2 hours to my brother's house tomorrow night solely for that purpose. When I was a boy, we had corned beef and cabbage on new year's day on the theory that eating something green would assure you had money all year. It never worked.
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 05:13 PM

We usually have "Good Luck Soup" on New Year's. I can put the pot on and watch parades, games and not worry about cooking. It's similar to the packages of 15 bean soup that you can buy in the store except it just uses certain beans with ham, onions, tomatoes, peppers and seasonings. Is really good! Have cornbread to go with it.

This year we will be celebrating Christmas with my husband's family so will have ham, turkey, brisket and all the fixin's.
Posted By: califgirl

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 05:18 PM

What is a collard?
Posted By: Bankster

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 05:33 PM

It's always pork, mashed potatoes, keilbasa, and sauer-kraut here in PA.
Posted By: deppfan

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 05:39 PM

Quote:

What is a collard?

My husband makes awesome collard greens, and just pulled the last from the garden before it iced here last week.

Collard Greens
Posted By: La. Lady

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 05:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry! That was me!

Wow! Can I come to your house.......I'll bring the wine....

In my neck of the woods, we have whatever meat you like....but a MUST is black-eyed peas and cabbage. Good luck and good health....(Not sure which is which).

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 05:46 PM

Pickeled pigs feet is great for New Years...you can also use their nails instead of toothpicks.

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 05:48 PM

we are going to have corned beef & cabbage with all the extras--including IRISH COFFEE!! yummmmmmy!

it has been a new years tradition in my family as far back as i can remember.
Posted By: Cowboys Fan

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 06:04 PM

Quote:

That's what we always have too. My mom said that the sauerkraut was to help rid your body of the previous night's poisons.
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 06:26 PM

Ham always Ham!!! Something about good luck for the new year when you serve Ham on New Years Day, or so my husband's family says!!!

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 06:34 PM

My girlfriend and I are going to Fuddruckers new years eve.

We'll make a pizza new years day.

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what we always have too. My mom said that the sauerkraut was to help rid your body of the previous night's poisons.

Well, it would certainly work!
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 07:30 PM

Maybe I should have sauerkraut with my duck, then, eh Michael?

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 07:37 PM

Quote:

Maybe I should have sauerkraut with my duck, then, eh Michael?

Just make a pot of chili and drink beer on New Years Eve!
Posted By: Lestie G

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 10:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Michael's link is a good one. Here's another one.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/30/04 11:11 PM

Surf and turf(lobster and t-bone)+twice baked potatoes, salad, veggies + bread. My husband and I had it last night because we were home alone. I can't afford to feed that to the whole family!

Michael, I made pseudo-bigos out of the left-over kapusta, kielbasa and potatoes for lunch today so the poisons from the wine with the surf and turf are gone!
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/31/04 05:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, it would certainly work!

I am glad you cleared this up. My mom wants all of us over for dinner, Pork roast & sauerkraut. My daughter wanted to know why that menu. I didn't know. My mom is form Ohio, so I guess it makes sense now.

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/31/04 09:07 PM

Black Eyed Peas, Cabbage, Cornbread, Smothered Steak
Posted By: juliad

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/31/04 09:10 PM

Shrimp cocktail, crackers and cheese, veggies and dip etc... We just snack all day while watching the Bowls. New Year's tradition.

Re: New Year's Day Dinner - 12/31/04 10:17 PM

Aspirin, water and ginger ale.