Calling all Southern Californians!!

Posted By: someone else

Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 04:17 PM

Hey everyone out there in SoCal...everyone all right? Now that the rain is gone I wanted to check in with all of you to make sure no one lost their homes or cars.
Posted By: Don_Narup

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 04:40 PM

Well its still raining but is expected to end today. The Landslide in La Conchita ( Ventura County north of Los Angeles) was probably the most damageing event.

Millions and millions and millions of people in San Diego went about their usual daily routine with only having to contend with increase traffic problems and a few flooded intersections.
Posted By: someone else

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 04:44 PM

It wasn't too bad here either (just south of LA). Lots of traffic accidents though! I am mostly concerned about those north of LA and in the high deserts. Don, you and I were the lucky ones!
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 05:17 PM

It was amazing to see all of the mud slides in Chavez Ravine. So far, things look okay. We are supposed to have one more intense storm, but right now all I can see are blue skies.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 05:23 PM

The low desert area has also been hit pretty hard. With no where for the water to go, the roads are all flooded and accidents everywhere. As if all of the flooded/closed intersections aren't bad enough, the Palm Springs International Film Festival is going on, with an added 100,000 people in town for that event. Just chaos!
Posted By: califgirl

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 05:24 PM

blub blub

Reporting in from Orange County - no damage, just lots of water! On Sunday afternoon, I was just about to look up ark-building plans!
Posted By: MISS VIDA BOEM

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 05:30 PM

We had a small tornado touch down here in Ventura, and fortunately, caused very little damage but was very loud. I can't imagine living in an area where tornados are frequent.
Ventura is the city just below La Conchita and they closed the freeway in mid-Ventura. It is all so sad.

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 06:28 PM

It was just on the local news that a large tree has fallen on a car that was traveling on the 163 freeway near Balboa Park, and has killed 4 people.
Posted By: Viking Princess

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 06:31 PM

Anyone have any news on Chatsworth/Northridge? I have a few friends located there and haven't been able to get hold of them. Just wondering what that area is like right now??
Posted By: KK

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 08:35 PM

Our neighborhood got hit by the mini tornedo last week. On Sunday the water completely covered the street. We were almost ready to get out the kayaks. It's nice to start drying out.
Posted By: HRH Dawnie

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/11/05 09:41 PM

My sweeties office in Ventura had 2 out of 12 employees show up. The rest are trapped by mudslides, downed trees, etc., in their homes or with friends. His manager there aparently lives up on a bluff that lost 5 feet of land the other day. He can't leave his home because the road is washed out.

I hope ya'll dry out soon!!!
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/12/05 05:54 AM

Does anyone know where MT is out in Cal.? Hope she isn't in the middle of all this.
Posted By: Citrus

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/12/05 07:58 AM

Hi - just checkin' in - in the middle of all this RAIN! I have been recovering from the cold and flu - so I haven't been online as much. I am staying inland - about 30 miles from Palm Springs and about 40 from Los Angeles - the pouring rain has made it terribly soggy, but thank goodness we have not suffered any damage. My flu has gotten better but I now suffer from cabin fever...
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/12/05 08:02 AM

Glad to hear you are ok. Stay dry and get well.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/12/05 09:27 AM

Quote:

Anyone have any news on Chatsworth/Northridge? I have a few friends located there and haven't been able to get hold of them. Just wondering what that area is like right now??

I live nearby and both of those areas are okay. There may be some small-scale flooding or slides for those parts of Northridge and Chatsworth that are in the hills, but nothing drastic enough to be on the local news.

I have a small scale swamp in the landscaping just off to the side of my front door, but it will eventually dry out. I've seen some muddy roads in our neighborhoods but nothing life threatening.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/12/05 02:28 PM

Wow, it is awful out there! I hope everyone stays safe.
Posted By: Viking Princess

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/12/05 04:57 PM

Thanks BonnieM...appreciate the feedback.
Posted By: Citrus

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/13/05 07:46 AM

There was sun today! There was sun today! No rain - and the forecast is sunny skies - at least for the next 3-4 days!
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/13/05 04:13 PM

Yes, the sun is back! I may even wash my car this weekend. OOPS! That will bring the rain back for sure.

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/13/05 05:15 PM

Hey GuitarDude

You ever heard of Slack Key Guitar?
Posted By: GuitarDude

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/13/05 05:30 PM

I've heard of it but I don't know what it is.

Re: Calling all Southern Californians!! - 01/13/05 11:08 PM

Sent you a PM about it