Valentine's day

Posted By: Clown Boy

Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:01 PM

This will be my first V-day with my wife (we've celebrated it together before but this will be the first since we got married) and I am looking for ideas on "the perfect gift". I am already sending her roses, but I want to give her something that she will remember forever. Any ideas??
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:02 PM

Send her nothing and I promise, you'll get a bonus: she will remember it forever and a day.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:10 PM

You forgot the best part of that -Z-, I'll also get to sleep on our nice couch in front of the T.V. for a few weeks. (that is if she lets me back into the house)
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:10 PM

Besides jewelry? All I ever need is jewelry and I'm a happy girl.
Posted By: Bones

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:14 PM

What does she like, Buddy?

Maybe a gift certificate from her favorite store or for a free massage. Something she'll enjoy.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:15 PM

Ah yes lady luck, besides jewelry, a gift certificate to a local spa for a day of pampering is a close second.
Posted By: beaten blind

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:17 PM

Give her what I am giving myself for Valentine's Day...a trip to the gynocologist! She'll love it!!! (NOT!)

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:18 PM

Well the last two years running, I got diamond necklaces for her. She never wears them though. I want to get her something or do something for her that will make her day.
Come on, there are so many women in the WC, What do you all want?
Posted By: beaten blind

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:21 PM

Honestly? Truely? You really want to know?

Gifts are great and candy tastes good too. But what we (or at least I) really want is for my husband to wrap his arms around me, look deeply into my eyes and tell me how much he truely loves me.

But then again, after 13 years, I have plenty of jewelry!
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:21 PM

A new colt is always nice
Posted By: Princess Leia

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:23 PM

Having the hubby make a romantic dinner for us (and ship the kids to Grandma's) would do the trick for me. I'm not big on jewelry or gifts, but I'd love a nice handmade card!
Posted By: Raiderette

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:29 PM

hey buddy, what do you think about this... Get her something from the "tupper-ware book". You will both benefit from it.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:29 PM

Saphire, Shhhhhhhhhh

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:30 PM

Awww, come on...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:39 PM

here is an idea I heard on Paul Harvey today.......I would enjoy this as long as the pj's were ones I would actually wear
http://www.pajamagram.com/whatis.html

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:40 PM

Anything that takes her (or preferably both of you) away from her/your routine responsibilities for awhile, at no cost to her. If she does most of the cleaning - a gift certificate from a cleaning service (or you just handle it for awhile); the cooking - romantic multi-course meal. Some BOLers love the gift certificates to area spas featuring massages. If there's something she's been pestering you to do, and you keep procrastinating - do it (with before and after photos in that handmade card!). Of course it's great to be swept away to a great hotel/location for a weekend -

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:42 PM

A nice set of Sears tools is a gret gift.
Posted By: deppfan

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:46 PM

If you cook, fix her a nice dinner, complete with candles and wine. I agree with the whole "Calgon, take me away" mentality. Unplug the phone (or turn off cell phones), watch a movie, dance with her, play cards, or dominoes, or whatever you both enjoy. Just spend time reminding each other why you fell in love.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 09:50 PM

Quote:

If you cook, fix her a nice dinner, complete with candles and wine. I agree with the whole "Calgon, take me away" mentality. Unplug the phone (or turn off cell phones), watch a movie, dance with her, play cards, or dominoes, or whatever you both enjoy. Just spend time reminding each other why you fell in love.

That is too sweet. I would totally fall in love with my man (if I really had one) all over again.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:03 PM

Quote:

Having the hubby make a romantic dinner for us (and ship the kids to Grandma's) would do the trick for me. I'm not big on jewelry or gifts, but I'd love a nice handmade card!

Hey, that's what I have planned if granny is willing. She'll love it so long as I don't EXPECT a big bonus at the end of the evening. A romantic dinner on our deck (or indoors if it is cold or rainy)...with a little Van Morrison playing softly in the background...a handmade card with lots of lovey dovey things said...followed by going out to see movie she's been wanting to see...then to bed with no hint of wanting anything more than sleep (our pre-schoolers are needy enough, it does not make her day for me to come home with emotional or physical needs)... then let her sleep in the next morning and into the afternoon if she wants to...then breakfast or lunch (whichever she wakes up in time for).
Posted By: Starter

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:15 PM

Find an old picture of the two of you before you were married - when you were dating - take it to the store and blow it up to an 8x10 - put it in a new a frame and give it to her with a card that says, "I'd do it all over again with you"....... Doesn't take long to do and lets her think that you are thinking about sentimental things!!

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:18 PM

Quote:

Find an old picture of the two of you before you were married - when you were dating - take it to the store and blow it up to an 8x10 - put it in a new a frame and give it to her with a card that says, "I'd do it all over again with you"....... Doesn't take long to do and lets her think that you are thinking about sentimental things!!

geez... that's sweet too. There are a lot of heartfelt ideas in here.
I'm usually satisfied with the fact that he thinks of me (when I have a he).
My V-day usually involves making sure my munchkins have fun. We make cupcakes and paper hearts and snuggle.
Posted By: RUNSWITHSCISSORS

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:24 PM

Every year I make a Valentine's Day Card - color it with crayons or watercolors and everything. Last year I found this neat little Radio Flyer wheelbarrow and filled it with Godiva chocolates! MMMM...chocolates
Posted By: Queen Mum

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:25 PM

Little coupons for a back rub, a quiet soak in the tub(without kids banging on the door), a night out at the movies, breakfast in bed, etc. Then when she has a hard day, she can redeem them at will.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:25 PM

Have to be Anon for this:
I just have one thing to say - If you make a homemade card make it sweet. SWEET, okay. Say things like You're the most beautiful woman, etc. Something anyone could look at and think was sweet.

When I WAS married, my husband made a Valentine's day card for me. He drew a nice picture on the front. I was so impressed with his drawing. THEN When I read what he put inside, I was so embarrassed. (basically had a poem that said stuff like "the way you thrill and ...at my touch") Instead of being happy and proud, I didn't want anyone to see it. I didn't even want to look at it again! Nasty, not sweet!

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:29 PM

Two years ago, I bought a package of those tiny little valentine cards like the ones I used to give away when I was in elementary school. I wrote short, sweet sayings on each one; then, I hid them in places I knew she would look during the day and the following week. She found all but one and I could not remember where I'd hidden them all so we could not find it. A few weeks or months later she was surprised by the lost valentine. Bonus!
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:31 PM

Don't remember if it was for Valentine's Day, Christmas, or her birthday, but one year I gave the girl I was dating four coupons that she could redeem anytime within the next year: one for a meal cooked by me, one for me washing her car inside and out, one for washing her windows, and one for a night of fun at my expense.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/08/05 10:57 PM

Quote:

Two years ago, I bought a package of those tiny little valentine cards like the ones I used to give away when I was in elementary school. I wrote short, sweet sayings on each one; then, I hid them in places I knew she would look during the day and the following week. She found all but one and I could not remember where I'd hidden them all so we could not find it. A few weeks or months later she was surprised by the lost valentine. Bonus!

This idea is great!!
Posted By: Pup

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 04:17 AM

This is a good thread to incorporate into the singles bar.....how about some of these kinds of ideas over there?

I'm currently "without a she", to borrow a phrase from Saphire, but I haven't dated in 11+ years (marriage got in the way for awhile) and am WAY out of practice! I could use some tips on what single women are like these days.

I was definitely the more romantic of the two of us, but a failed marriage doesn't exactly tell me that I was romantic enough or maybe I was too romantic.....anyway, what do ADULT single women want these days?

Saphire, you said you have munchkins? Me, too. How has that affected dating, etc? I can't imagine introducing my "girlfriend" (if I had one) to my kids.
Posted By: 8675309

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 05:26 AM

Buddy - Congrats on even knowing that V Day is this month! You're way ahead of my guy. He will probably be calling the florist Monday morning when all the other women start getting flowers.

Gift ideas - Z's idea is the best! I have done it for my man, but if he did it for me I would be really touched (and shocked!) My other favorite gift is tasteful satin pjs. If you are somewhere warm, it would be neat if you picked a romantic spot and had a picnic.

Flowers - Personally I like to get flowers other than roses that maybe he remembered I like - like tulips, calla lillies, or orchids. Maybe an entire bouquet in her favorite color. Or what about getting the same flowers that were used at your wedding? It shows you put some thought into it.

FP - I think that women are looking for a mental connection. I tend to fall for guys who challenge my intellect, make me think, and show interest in who I am. It is amazing how many people you can have a conversation with and they never ask you anything about yourself. I think it's important to show true interest in getting to know someone and it can be fun too. Ask about the craziest thing she did in college or her most embarrassing moment. If you are the romantic type, you probably already know all this. I can't imagine that a guy could ever be too romantic.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 01:24 PM

Although I am a firm believer in that diamonds are a girl's best friend, you can only wear so much without looking ridiculous.

Buddy, I would want the dinner thing, and if you go out a lot, stay at home and make a wonderful dinner; if you stay home a lot, make reservations a real cozy place (with nice food).

Give her that romantic homemade card while you are having cocktails.

Oh, and the flowers, bring them home, surprise her (leave a little early) and ring the doorbell. I get embarassed when I get flowers at the office.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 01:30 PM

Yahoo poll found that most women want active gifts, like spa or weekend getaways (check to see if she wants it with or without you), and men want gadgets.
Posted By: RR Jen

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 03:06 PM

I'm with Joker on this one, I'd love a new horse! But since there's no boyfriend in sight I guess I'm out of luck.

I guess if there was a boyfriend that was willing and because my taste in horses is more expensive than my taste in jewelry ...I'd settle for diamonds. I'm also a busy single mom, so ANY pampering (spa, massage, dinner out) is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 04:01 PM

Love the Avatar, JLJ! How's the house coming?

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 04:11 PM

Quote:

Saphire, you said you have munchkins? Me, too. How has that affected dating, etc? I can't imagine introducing my "girlfriend" (if I had one) to my kids.

Well, I let people know right away I have kids. They are my life and if the other person doesn't like that, I know they aren't the one for me. I live in a small town, so anyone that is worth dating is already taken.. Not to mention, I don't have time to date. My kids are 4 1/2, 2 1/2, and 7 months today. If I did go on a date, it would be hard not to talk about them. If the dating got serious, and intro would be necessary. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I don't have enough experience to really tell you.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 04:40 PM

Quote:

Love the Avatar, JLJ! How's the house coming?

Thanks! The house is coming along I should get to move in next month. What was I thinking when I decided to build in the winter?

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 04:54 PM

"Yahoo poll found that most women want active gifts, like spa or weekend getaways (check to see if she wants it with or without you), and men want gadgets."

I thought she was the gadget.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 05:12 PM

Are you the same Anon who just posted that you wanted a ticket to the Black Dahlia movie that portrays a 13 year old having sex? I am usually an advocate for posters to register, but in your case, I'll make an exception--you should stay Anonymous.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 05:12 PM

My husband tells me every day that he loves me, and hasn't missed one yet, in 14 yrs.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 05:15 PM

Quote:

My husband tells me every day that he loves me, and hasn't missed one yet, in 14 yrs.

That's a man that loves his wife. Why can't all men be so thoughtful and remember his vows?

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 05:44 PM

One year,(I can't rememeber the occassion) I walked in from work and found the house in darkness with only one candle lit beside the front door. Beside the candle, there was a note saying to follow the roses. There was a trail of roses to the bathroom where my husband was with a bath drawn and candles everywhere. In the bathtub, there were rose petals. He gave me a luxurious bath and then afterward gave me a very nice massage. This didn't cost much, but I will never forget it. He put a lot of time and thought into this gift, which meant to me that I was truly his valentine.
Posted By: MelissaAnn

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 06:38 PM

Quote:

Or what about getting the same flowers that were used at your wedding? It shows you put some thought into it.

This is my favorite idea that I have seen on here. I just got married in June so this is my first "married" V-day with my hubby also. I also would love to just go for a nice walk, just the 2 of us.
Posted By: someone else

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 08:30 PM

Now let's turn the tables...

What can I get (or do) for the man in my life? There is, of course, the obvious. But what else? What kind of cool place could I take him to? I want something different, fun, exciting...you know...
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 08:38 PM

It has been my experience that what men want for Valentine's Day is the "obvious"!

But on a serious note...I sent flowers to a boyfriend on V-Day...once...not the effect I was hoping for.

It would be interesting to hear from the other side.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 08:48 PM

Quote:

What can I get (or do) for the man in my life? There is, of course, the obvious. But what else? What kind of cool place could I take him to? I want something different, fun, exciting...you know...

Last year when I did have a man in my life I went all out. I kidnapped him on Friday after work and we drove 2 1/2 hours to a very cozy romantic hotel. We spent the evening in the hot tub and heated pool. The next day we slept in, ran around the town a little during the day and then had a very romantic dinner that evening. On Sunday we slept in again and then I took him to a college basketball game.

It was a great weekend, I really think there should have been a girlfriend of the year award for that one...

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone, I think that this will be a V-day that she will never forget.

Someone else, I think that "the obvious" is always a great gift no matter the occation.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 09:01 PM

you better believe it! And that goes for both parties!

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 10:35 PM

Come on, all you GUYS out there!! Here is your opportunity to tell US what YOU want for Valentine's Day!! Anything???
Posted By: Starter

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 10:42 PM

Been with my man for 5 years - our first date was going out to dinner for Valentines Day as friends because neither of us had a significant other - so I made a reservation at the restaurant that we went to 5 years ago as a surprise for him this year - gonna also bring a bottle of the same wine that we had that night.....or maybe it was two bottles........
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 10:52 PM

I hate valentine's day.

Better believe I will be throwing a "bitterness bash" at the singles bar on Monday.
Posted By: MountainMan

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 10:54 PM

My wife and I have been married nearly 38 years. On Friday evening our church is going to have a dinner and after dinner all of the married couples there are going to repeat their vows. A neat way to say you would marry her or him again.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/09/05 11:52 PM

OK - so here's what I decided to do...I bought him a 3-month subscription to NetFlix and rink-side tickets to a local hockey game. They are right behind the glass, just to the right of the goal.

Guys...how does that sound?
Posted By: Pup

Re: Valentine's day - 02/10/05 01:52 AM

SE,
I may a little different than some of the others, but that's not what I would want on V-Day. Honestly, I have always thought of V-Day as a day for us men to do something for our women. I never really even enjoyed getting anything for V-Day.

Okay, there was one. I had written a poem for my ex when we were dating, based on a picture I had drawn. No, I'm not an artist, it was simply a heart, tipped a bit to one side with a cross standing up inside it. Anyway, I had given this to her when we first started dating. On V-Day, I forget when exactly, she re-drew that picture, in color, with the poem written in caligraphy around it and had it framed. That is really the best gift I can remember receiving. She was NOT good at giving massages, so I never wanted her to give me one.

Of course, I wouldn't turn down tickets to see the Broncos on MNF.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/10/05 04:33 AM

Last year when I did have a man in my life I went all out. I kidnapped him on Friday after work and we drove 2 1/2 hours to a very cozy romantic hotel. We spent the evening in the hot tub and heated pool. The next day we slept in, ran around the town a little during the day and then had a very romantic dinner that evening. On Sunday we slept in again and then I took him to a college basketball game.

It was a great weekend, I really think there should have been a girlfriend of the year award for that one...

This is my kind of woman; a basketball game. WOW that would get you about anything you wanted.
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Valentine's day - 02/10/05 05:05 AM

Valentine's day - a commercial plot by Hallmark to make all of us without others feel neglected.

Ok, I'm not that cold, I did get cards for my daughter, granddaughter and nephew.
Posted By: Princess Romeo

Re: Valentine's day - 02/10/05 05:55 AM

Quote:

I'm with Joker on this one, I'd love a new horse! But since there's no boyfriend in sight I guess I'm out of luck.

I guess if there was a boyfriend that was willing and because my taste in horses is more expensive than my taste in jewelry ...I'd settle for diamonds. I'm also a busy single mom, so ANY pampering (spa, massage, dinner out) is greatly appreciated.

What kind of horse are you looking for? I know any number of rescue organizations that have wonderful horses - all breeds, ages, abilities, etc. You can PM me if you would like more info.

And for good measure, I can make you a special deal on a Pasture Pal companion Thoroughbred that is an absolute sweetheart. Arthritis due to a racing injury prevents him from being ridable, so he just one big ol' gray puppydog.

http://www.excellerfund.org/images/sierracity2.jpg

He was also one of the featured horses on The Exceller Fund's Valentine Horses fundraising cards last year.
Posted By: Sinatra Fan

Re: Valentine's day - 02/10/05 01:33 PM

Quote:

Come on, all you GUYS out there!! Here is your opportunity to tell US what YOU want for Valentine's Day!! Anything???

Heather Locklear

Re: Valentine's day - 02/10/05 01:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Heather Locklear

Re: Valentine's day - 02/10/05 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Heather Locklear

I'm sorry I cannot help you there...

Re: Valentine's day - 02/10/05 09:31 PM

A couple years ago I got to his house early and posted a note on the inside garage door, "I tried the garage but it was too cold, signed Goldilocks. Try the kitchen". In the kitchen I posted a note over the crockpot "I tried the pot roast but it was too hot, signed Goldi. Try the sofa". In the living room I had a huge oil painting for his mantle with a note "I tried the sofa but it was too soft, signed G. Try the dining room". And on the dining room table I perched in a Valentine red teddy. Unfortunately, he was two hours late from work, I was two pitchers of margaritas ahead of him and sound asleep. We still laugh about that one!

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 12:43 PM

Quote:

And on the dining room table I perched in a Valentine red teddy. Unfortunately, he was two hours late from work, I was two pitchers of margaritas ahead of him and sound asleep. We still laugh about that one!

OMG! That is funny...
Posted By: Erl of Baltimore

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 01:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Instead federal kidnapping charges were filed.....but I guess she beat the wrap.
Posted By: RVFlyboy

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 01:48 PM

Well for us Valentines Day takes on extra meaning because it's also our wedding anniversary (24 years on Monday). A couple of years ago, I did it up pretty good. I hired a barbershop quartet dressed in tuxedos who came to the house at 8:30am and gave her a rose and sang love songs to her in barbershop harmony. When they finished, we got in the car (I had taken the day off from work), drove an hour up the road to Asheville, NC and spent the day at Biltmore going through the house, the gardens, the grounds and the winery. After that, on to a romantic dinner then home to bed. It was a pretty good day and one I know she remembers.

Jim
Posted By: sarah s

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 03:42 PM

Depends where you live, but in my neck of the Rocky Mountain woods, some places have horse-drawn sleigh rides or sleigh rides with dinners (very romantic and memorable!). One Christmas I surprised my significant other with a limo ride to look at Christmas lights--and that was pretty special. Not the right time of the year for that, but keep it in mind for December!
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 07:25 PM

I will be happy with anything my hubbie does, as long as it's not a button with the number 10 on it!!! That was my only "gift" one year when my boys were small and a long standing joke still in our house

I have bought him - what else - something with the Pittsburgh Steelers symbol on it!!!( A huge fan )

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 07:31 PM

I got her a ring... Yep, THAT ring! I'm soooo nervous too. Wish me luck!

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 07:33 PM

good luck anon!!
-Buddy Magee

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 07:34 PM

Good luck Anon! Tell us how it went!

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 09:48 PM

Good luck, and most likely congrats.

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 10:30 PM

This year I'm suprising my wife with two tickets to the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. She's a middle school band director and has been involved in music all her life, but has never been to the symphony, so I thought I would take her. We live in Southeastern KY, so there's not a symphony orchestra very close to go see. I've reserved a suite for the weekend of the 18-20th at a nice hotel. I think I've done well for this year's Valentine's Day gift. The only problem is it may make future Valentine's Day gifts see not so great by comparison.
Posted By: CRAatBOK

Re: Valentine's day - 02/11/05 11:08 PM

Quote:

Well for us Valentines Day takes on extra meaning because it's also our wedding anniversary (24 years on Monday). A couple of years ago, I did it up pretty good. I hired a barbershop quartet dressed in tuxedos who came to the house at 8:30am and gave her a rose and sang love songs to her in barbershop harmony. When they finished, we got in the car (I had taken the day off from work), drove an hour up the road to Asheville, NC and spent the day at Biltmore going through the house, the gardens, the grounds and the winery. After that, on to a romantic dinner then home to bed. It was a pretty good day and one I know she remembers.

Jim

This years anniversary / V-day won't be quite that romantic but I am sure she will remember it always for all the love and support you have given her through these rough times. You are a wonderful and caring husband.