Runaway Bride

Posted By: deppfan

Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 04:05 PM

Sorry if this has been addressed and I missed it. (Examiners coming you know....) Does it get to anybody but me that people are mad about the runaway bride? I mean, did we want another Laci Peterson, or Lori Hacking? I had already decided that the fiancee did it. (how's that for a rush to judgement?) I'm just glad she is alive, and now can get some (apparently) much needed help. Okay, Rant over.
Posted By: Raiderette

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 04:09 PM

I saw this on the front of one of the big state newspapers, but I didn't read the article. What happened?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 04:46 PM

Sounds like she really does need the help. I mean, didn't she think her fiance and family would be worried? It is because of the Laci Peterson case and others recently that she should have stopped and told someone that she just needed to get away and think about things.

I think what bothers people more is that when she found out her disappearance was being covered nationwide, she calls 911 and says she was kidnapped when she wasn't. She should have just contacted her family or authorities to say, "I'm OK." Seems to me she has some real issues.
Posted By: Bones

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 04:48 PM

That was me. Forgot to log on.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 04:52 PM

I guess what bothers me about the whole thing, was the unneccesary waste of manpower and other resources, because this dip$hit had a brain freeze.

What about other people who may have legitimately needed those police and other resources while they were wasting their time on her? She should be stoned, if for nothing else, stupidity.
Posted By: deppfan

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 04:55 PM

I can't disagree with anything that has been posted. But the outcome is much better than it could have been. I would rather deal with wasted resources, than another person who killed somebody for whatever reason.
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 05:19 PM

I don't think people are mad because she ran, but because she falsely reported being abducted and wasted valuable investigation time.
Posted By: An0n

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 05:25 PM

I think the whole thing is damn funny! Everyone FREAKED out about the missing bride... didn't anyone say, "Hey, maybe she got cold feet?" I mean, come on!

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 05:28 PM

Not only that, but she's not a young 18-year-old kid. She's 32 and should know better. She bought the bus ticket before she had her final rehearsal dinner, she cut her hair real short, and she wasn't dressed in the jogging shorts, so she even hid clothes to change into. This guy should rid himself of her now because this will never become a balanced relationship. No balanced, stable 32-year-old woman reacts to wedding planning stress by planning a bustrip the day before the wedding. They lost money, deposits, not to mention the complete loss of her credibility.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 05:32 PM

We shouldn't jump to conclusions 'cause nobody knows the full story yet. Maybe the guy is abusive and she's abused. Maybe she realized the wedding was way over budget. Maybe she got on the wrong bus thinking it was local and didn't realize it was a long-distance bus going cross country. We just don't know.
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 05:36 PM

I think she should have to pay for the hours spent searching for her and all the costs involved. Make an example and perhaps the next person will think twice about doing something similar.
Posted By: La. Lady

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 05:42 PM

My opinion only.

I feel for everyone involved. Her family, her boyfriend, and the bride. But, if I were that husband to be, I think that I would be thinking thing over really hard. Cold feet???? Lets face it, she isn't a 17 year old kid. Apparently, she does need help....

I understand that there is talk of possible jail time. I don't think what she did merits jail time. I do, however, think that she should be required to pay back the money used in the search.....and the reward money ($100,000) should now be donated to the police, FBI or whatever....
Posted By: Jokerman

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:06 PM

Quote:

I think she should have to pay for the hours spent searching for her and all the costs involved. Make an example and perhaps the next person will think twice about doing something similar.

So if someone just decides to leave they are legally obligated to make sure no one looks for them? To my knowledge, she didn't do anything when she left to cause anyone to believe she had been abducted.

She did lie when she initially came forward, but no additional search time or resources were wasted as a result of that. If they want to charge her with filing a false report, charge her.
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:10 PM

The morning radio guys here had an interesting perspective. If she is indeed this nutty and the groom still marries her knowing this, then he isn’t allowed to complain about anything else she does from now on, he’s been warned.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:17 PM

The Today show showed clips of the fiance from another show he was on last night. He said he still wants to marry her. Love is blind, as they say. She did plan this whole getaway a week in advance. Everyone in her family and all her friends said she could not be a runaway bride because she was so happy and couldn't wait to be married. They said it would be totally out of character for her. Apparently she had everyone fooled.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:21 PM

Quote:

My opinion only.

I understand that there is talk of possible jail time. I don't think what she did merits jail time. I do, however, think that she should be required to pay back the money used in the search.....and the reward money ($100,000) should now be donated to the police, FBI or whatever....

What about the resources that were used to track her and the REAL victims who weren't helped because of this?

If you've got cold feet, it's MUCH easier to just say "Honey, I know it's only a week before the wedding, but I'm not sure I want to get married after all."
Posted By: pjs

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:22 PM

Quote:

We shouldn't jump to conclusions 'cause nobody knows the full story yet. Maybe the guy is abusive and she's abused. Maybe she realized the wedding was way over budget. Maybe she got on the wrong bus thinking it was local and didn't realize it was a long-distance bus going cross country. We just don't know.

Wait a minute- she called and said she had been kidnapped- what she did was stupid- why she did it we'll probably not know everything. Yeah, she should be made to pay for the search etc that took place for her. And to the man she is engaged to- one word- RUN.
Posted By: P*Q

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:26 PM

A local radio station (mostly male station mind you) had a bunch of callers saying that if he still married her, he had a permanent get out of jail free card over her for the rest of their lives, kind of like, remember that time you ran out on our wedding? I thought it was funny.
Posted By: Truffle Royale

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:27 PM

Remember Audry Seiler?
Posted By: TB 12

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:33 PM

If the family has the resources to offer the $100,000 reward to find her, they should use that money to reimburse the authorities and merchants that used time, money and merchandise in the search.
Posted By: slick

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 06:53 PM

With all the craze over Laci Peterson and Lori Hacking, I think this woman ought to be ashamed of herself. Her family was scared to death, she had people out looking for her....... I think she should face some sort of punishment for this. If women do crap like this, maybe the next Laci or Lori won't be taken seriously.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 09:49 PM

Isn't it possible she just got on the wrong bus?
Posted By: bluebanker

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 09:54 PM

Quote:

To my knowledge, she didn't do anything when she left to cause anyone to believe she had been abducted.

I thought she had left her clothes laying in the woods or something to make it look like she was abducted...along with leaving behind some important things.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 10:04 PM

I don't know if that's true or not - but it could have just been where she changed out of her jogging clothes. Cite her for littering.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 10:25 PM

Well, wouldn't that be suspicious to you Jokerman? A woman says she is going jogging, her clothes are later found, but they still cannot find her. Her family says she wouldn't leave of her own free will. That wouldn't make you think abduction?
Posted By: doodle

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 10:28 PM

I saw the interview with the fiance this morning. When he was talking about how the first thing he did when he saw her was to replace her engagement ring, all I could think was how controlling a gesture that was. It was as though he was re-inforcing that she belonged to him. (Meaning ownership not love)

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/03/05 10:50 PM

Idiots are a dime a dozen...that she becomes newsworthy shows that level of decadence that has permeated this society.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 03:09 AM

Quote:

Well, wouldn't that be suspicious to you Jokerman? A woman says she is going jogging, her clothes are later found, but they still cannot find her. Her family says she wouldn't leave of her own free will. That wouldn't make you think abduction?

I'm not saying it's an unreasonable conclusion to draw. I'm saying we shouldn't find this woman guilty of a crime because we jumped to the wrong conclusion.

(Again, so far as she has committed a crime - filing a false report - feel free to prosecute. I think some sort of community service would be in order. I just don't agree that we are all accountable to the state for our whereabouts.)

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 01:07 PM

Quote:

I saw the interview with the fiance this morning. When he was talking about how the first thing he did when he saw her was to replace her engagement ring, all I could think was how controlling a gesture that was. It was as though he was re-inforcing that she belonged to him. (Meaning ownership not love)

Oh, come on! A manipulative woman who concocts such a scheme and feigns having been abducted by armed people and you're targeting the duped guy?! Get real. The guy is a complete wimp. She is not an abused baby; she's in her thirties! Please...
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 01:54 PM

CNN news story last night said this is the second time she got cold feet...the first time the guy did not end up marrying her. Also, what kind of idiot plans a wedding with 600 attendees and 14 people standing? Gee, maybe a bit of Mom & Dad pressure here? I guess it is a good thing that no one came out and accused the fiance, as he would be rolling in a lawsuit tight now.

If he still marries her he has as many issues as she does.

Skunkboy - here is a possibility for you...free, and loves to exercise (RUN)...lol

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 02:04 PM

I wonder how many bridesmaids she'll be able to have next time? If I were one of them, I wouldn't even talk to her!

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 03:43 PM

Quote:

Wow! Turning it around on him. Maybe he was wanting to replace it to remind her that he'll always be there for her (which is idiotic, if you ask me). Women get so defensive sometimes and want to assume the worst. When I read that, I thought that he wanted her to know he's still committed to the relationship, not that he owns her. Someone's been watching too much Dr. Phil...

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 04:34 PM

I heard a story on the local news this morning that hispanic groups in Albuquerque are demanding an apology from the runaway bride because she accused a hispanic man in the kidnapping report. They say that put all of the hispanic males at risk. I guess things are getting a little out of hand. I mean, she also accused a white woman, so that would also put all white women at risk too, right? Don't get me wrong, I am hispanic, but I think people are missing the point here. The fact that she made a false report should be the issue. That is what she should apologize for. I don't think it should be a race issue now.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 04:35 PM

But it's ALWAYS a race issue...

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 04:52 PM

Quote:

But it's ALWAYS a race issue...

Yeah, she was RACING to get away from her fiance.....

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 04:54 PM

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow! Turning it around on him. Maybe he was wanting to replace it to remind her that he'll always be there for her (which is idiotic, if you ask me). Women get so defensive sometimes and want to assume the worst. When I read that, I thought that he wanted her to know he's still committed to the relationship, not that he owns her. Someone's been watching too much Dr. Phil...

I agree with Blue. I don't think he meant it in a controlling way, just that he still loves her. Having said that, it was probably not the right thing for him to do. She obviously ran because she has issues with being or getting married, so that probably wasn't the wisest thing for this guy to do. It probably added to her pressures.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 05:50 PM

I'm so sorry that I posted one small observation about the fiance. I really wasn't trying to place blame or "turn it around on him." This whole story is weird and that is just one part of it. (and blue, I've never watched Dr. Phil)

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:01 PM

I was just waiting for someone to start this thread. Since I live approximately 200 - 300 miles away from where she lives, I am assuming we are getting additional coverage of the "Runaway Bride". Sounds as if the priviledged Runaway Bride needs to grow up a bit.
I recall a similar scenario during the late 80's in suburban Chicago. Two college students who were dating went missing from the private college in which they attended. For numerous days, law enforcement, family, and friends were searching for them. Finally, the missing students contacted authorities - I believe the story was that they were carjacked. When the facts came out they were not carjacked but had spent a couple of days away from school, together and spent alot of money on Rush Street.

These kids were in their late teens (should have known better) and I think they were prosecuted. Runaway Bride is in her 30's and should face the music. Prosecute.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:05 PM

Well I guess with all the anti-men sentiment in the threads these days I assumed this was going to be turned into another male-bashing segment. I just read that comment as a typical women's lib comment...releasing the bride from all responsibility because men are evil...

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:13 PM

Quote:

Well I guess with all the anti-men sentiment in the threads these days I assumed this was going to be turned into another male-bashing segment. I just read that comment as a typical women's lib comment...releasing the bride from all responsibility because men are evil...

Baby, baby, stick your head in gravy...

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:38 PM

Of course men are evil. Women are just stupid enough to try and change us.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:42 PM

Quote:

Sure. And she probably discovered it while she was gambling in Las Vegas.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:52 PM

Quote:

If I have participated in any man bashing and caused offence, I apologize . I don't believe that men are evil- quite the contrary. Perhaps I did not communicate what I was trying to say very well. The point of my post was that she's not the only one with issues. I was not trying to say that it was any one person's fault. (Ok, it's mostly her fault.)

It might give you a little insight to know that non-women's libbers vent about men too. You should always take man-bashing with a grain of salt and a lot of humor. This is mostly girl talk. We just don't usually let you listen.

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:54 PM

Quote:

If I have participated in any man bashing and caused offence, I apologize...

But, I don't... Oops, the Devil made me say it...

Quote:

This is mostly girl talk. We just don't usually let you listen.

That was very cute!
Posted By: pjs

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:55 PM

Quote:

sure right after she called and said she was kidnapped.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 07:58 PM

"women's lib"...Haven't heard that since, what, the early 80s?

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 08:10 PM

yeah we heard it in the 80's, but we've been feeling it ever since.
Posted By: RR Sarah

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 08:12 PM

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 08:15 PM

Quote:

Of course men are evil. Women are just stupid enough to try and change us.

Not true. Women are evil, and there is logical proof....

Premise: Any guy knows that a woman requires time and money.

Premise: Time = Money

It follows that a woman is Money squared.

And we ALL know that money is the root of all evil....

Thus women are evil, or at least require evil...
Posted By: Blade Scrapper

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 08:22 PM

Quote:

And we ALL know that money is the root of all evil....

Actually, it is the love of money that is the root of all evil.
Posted By: RR Joker

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 08:31 PM

someone I work with knows the guy...says he's really nice, but very strange...so who knows. I think she needs her butt whipped.
Posted By: D2Xs

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/04/05 08:37 PM

Ann was about to get married and she talked to her mother because Jim was not a very religious person. Ann told her mother that Jim didn't even believe in Hell. To which Ann's mother replied,"marry him anyway, between the two of us we will make a believer out of him."

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/11/05 10:03 PM

For you geeks (like me) out there
GET EM' WHILE YOU CAN!!
http://www.vicalecorporation.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=19
*This site's safe for everyone*

Re: Runaway Bride - 05/13/05 03:15 PM

I loved what Bill Maher said about her on his show. He said something to the effect of....

Who can blame her from running when she faced a lifetime of servicing this goober (and he showed a picture of her fiance that was terrible).

Then he said she was facing the prospect of 600 guests and a man in a blue suit sactifying her marriage with scripture and readings from The Purpose Driven Life. Suddenly a bus to Vegas looked like the better choice.

I love it! How hilarious.