Disable posting for unregistereds

Posted By: Anonymous

Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 03:11 PM

Is it just me, or are there a lot of knuckleheads posting anonymously lately? BOL should require folks to register a name before allowing them to post. It'll cut down on the assinine posts, and allow the moderators to identify people that post ignorant degrading crap.

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 03:14 PM

That would help, but not all knuckleheads are anonymous. Some have registered.

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 03:16 PM

I have, haven't I?
Posted By: Chi

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 03:20 PM

Most anonymous posts that are inflammatory in nature are located within the watercooler, which, while a fun distraction from work, is not the purpose of bankers online.

My main haunt is the Ebanking / Technology forum and I've always found everyone to be extremely helpful and civil.

Maybe I should start a Mac vs. Windows vs. Linux thread in there to shake things up
Posted By: Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 03:22 PM

Quote:

That would help, but not all knuckleheads are anonymous. Some have registered.

I predict that unlike Jane Fonda, abortion and the war in Iraq, there will not be any meaningless debate on that point. The difference is, registered users can put other registered users on "ignore," keeping the moderators out of their sand box management role.

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 03:25 PM

Don't get me wrong, debating politics and everything is fine by me, but some of these threads this morning are just plain worthless and hurtful. Just an observation.

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 03:42 PM

B-Dubya-

I think there are unregisturds and unregistereds. The *turds will get bored of posting their drivel and leave. The *tereds (like me) are usually lurkers who enjoy the community here, post occasional threads but for the most part just enjoy the people and the repartee.

The best thing to do with the *turds is to ignore their posts, moderate them by letting them drop off the page.

Just my .03 (inflation)
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 04:16 PM

Why not force everyone to register, but allow them to post anonymously once they are registered? That way you get rid of the idiots posting about [censored] peas without taking away the ability to post anonymously on sensitive questions.
Posted By: Fork Ate Spoon

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 05:08 PM

Quote:

Why not force everyone to register, but allow them to post anonymously once they are registered? That way you get rid of the idiots posting about [censored] peas without taking away the ability to post anonymously on sensitive questions.

How would that get rid of anything? They are still going to be able to post anonymously...
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How would that get rid of anything? They are still going to be able to post anonymously...

Because at least then the admins can easily ban them because they are a registered user, with a registered email address and ip address. Their posts would simply show up as anon.
Posted By: Clown Boy

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 06:11 PM

How about if they make it so we can ignore Anons...
Posted By: WildTurkey

Re: Disable posting for unregistereds - 07/28/05 06:47 PM

I can see good reasons for people to want to post anonymously on the "technical" boards, but I see no good reason for being able to post anonymously on the Water Cooler board so why not prohibit anonymous posts here? - After all, we're all just friends here, aren't we?