did you want to be a banker?

Posted By: flaire

did you want to be a banker? - 10/22/05 03:28 AM

Did you want to become a banker, or did you just fall into it? Do you have a banking-related degree or something non-related?

What would you do if you could do it over again?
Posted By: pjs

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/22/05 12:34 PM

No never- just happened-
I'd be a physical therapist.
Posted By: slick

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/22/05 01:33 PM

Heck no. If I could do it all over again, I'd be a photographer or something in the forensics field.
This has to be about as boring as it could get.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/22/05 01:37 PM

No. I was looking for a job and filling out applications everywhere and the bank was the first one to call me back and hire me. I've been in banking 6 years now.

If I could do it all over again, I will be a screenwriter and movie director. Which, I have been doing in my spare time and plan to film in the spring.

Who wants to work a 9-5 job all their life?
Posted By: ~Special K~

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/22/05 02:07 PM

I was working at a Dairy Queen and a woman that came thru the drive thru all of the time approached me and told me about a teller position that had come open, she said I was the first one to come to her mind seeing how I was such an efficient and courteous person.
At the time I thought working in a bank was a very high position....boy was I wrong. Just kinda worked my way up thru loan dept, admin asst, to loan officer now compliance officer.
If I could go back yeah I would choose something different, but this is the path that life put me on...
Posted By: Mystified

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/22/05 06:21 PM

Are you kidding? Isn't banking the most exciting career of the century! (JK) I started working in banking to put myself through college. By the time I graduated I made to much money to start all over in my chosen field. So now thats my hobby. Its not all bad. Btw, I have a Phd in Cultural Anthropology. The fields are similar... LMAO!!!
Posted By: flaire

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/22/05 07:28 PM

I was doomed from the start. Both of my parents were bankers, so I guess it was genetic. When I was about seven I told my parents that the only kind of banker I would ever be was a sperm banker !

I won a scholarship at my mom's bank which included a teller position during the summer. I quit college for a while and that was the only experience I had, so I went with it. I've been at it for 20 years now. Moved from the teller line to accounting to deposit operations to loan operations to IT Security & Privacy to Compliance.

I got my degree in English working full time and doing part-time school. But if I had to do it all over again I would be an Interior Designer. Something I could be creative in - and make more money at!

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 12:30 PM

I never planned to be in banking - it just happened. My undergrad degrees are in Political Science and Russian Language. I thought I'd end up in the Foreign Service or at least a CIA covert operative conducting super secret missions!

Banking has been good to me, so I can't complain. I would have gotten my law degree even if I wasn't in banking, but it certainly helps.

For the future, who knows? I'd love to have my own travel show on PBS so I can travel the world, meet lots of people, take pictures, and have someone else pay for it.

I've also thought about teaching or politics someday.
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 12:43 PM

It is one of the better paying jobs for college students, better than working at Best Buy, or having to waitress, i will be going to school in Jan for fashion design!!!yea, but if i really want a "safe" job i would be a dental hygeniest.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 12:47 PM

No.
But, I do remember that I'm fortunate to be working.
It would be grand to have a job or career that one loves, but to have a job....I won't complain. Unless you really want me to.
Posted By: Flower Child

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 01:12 PM

I was interested in HR during college and I was working at a bank during the summers. The bank offered me an HR position and here I am...

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 01:22 PM

Like Flaire, banking is in my blood. I started in finance when I was 19 and have been in it ever since. I like my job and find it challenging at times, but I will be going back to school when my husband is done. I have a degree in business management, but will go back for psychology.
Posted By: MichelleDawn

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 01:33 PM

I finished my Masters degree in 1991 when we were in the midst of a recession. I wanted to get my PhD and teach at the college level, but I did my Masters in 11 months and was burnt out and wanted to work for a while. I fell into banking and have never left. I have a BA and an MA in speech communications and teach basic public speaking at the University of Akron in the evening, so I am still using my degree.
Posted By: Carly Girl

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 02:47 PM

Not really. It started out as just your ordinary I-need-the-money-job. 1 credit union and 2 banks later, I've been in banking for almost 10 years now. I started as a teller and worked all the way up to risk management. I would really like to open my own business. Less stress.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 03:06 PM

Quote:

I would really like to open my own business. Less stress.

You're kidding, right? BFS is terribly stressful, especially in the first couple years. What kind of business would you start?
Posted By: Piano Man

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 03:11 PM

I started to just get a business degree, but I ended up with a Church Music Degree. As one of my professors put it, "you need to change your major, you have to eat." Banking just kinda happened. Started out as a teller during summers, then landed in Bookkeeping. Compliance Officer came about 2 years later.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 03:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would really like to open my own business. Less stress.

You're kidding, right? BFS is terribly stressful, especially in the first couple years. What kind of business would you start?

You would have to understand the type of management people that I work with. They are not your average Joe and this particular FI is not your average FI. Its a very looong story that I would waste too much time typing b/c it would be so long you wouldnt want to read it.

I would like to open either a small antique shop or a gift shop. Small and simple. Nothing too big.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:02 PM

I may open a law firm or consulting agency in a few years...I've been thinking about it a while now!

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:09 PM

Quote:

I may open a law firm or consulting agency in a few years...I've been thinking about it a while now!

i would open a tanning place, something like Seventeen spa and salon...do any of you have these in your cities

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:12 PM

never heard of it...what's it like?
Posted By: file queen

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:13 PM

I always wanted to be a superhero or a fairy princess...
Banking is the next best thing, right?
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:13 PM

Do you remember the McDonalds "When I grow Up" ads that aired during Saturday morning cartoons. I always thought it would be funny if the song played "When I grow Up" then some kid would sing, "I want to be a hit man".

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:18 PM

My true dream was/is to be in the music biz, not singing and performing because I can not carry a tune in a bucket but more along the lines of management or promotional. LOL I think I may have been a groupie in my former life...

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:22 PM

I like the Toys R Us song: I dont wanna grow up, I'm a toys r us kid, theres a lot of things that I can play with.....

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:30 PM

Quote:

never heard of it...what's it like?

well the mag Seventeen opened a "salon" i went here for prom, the do your hair(so they have makeup artists) they have a mani/pedi room, and you can get your hair done bu hair products,makeup, and all kinds of stuff and while your waiting they bring you drinks for free non-alcholic though you should check the website, they have these "party" packages that you can get i think its Seventeen.com not sure try googleing it
Posted By: Clown Boy

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 04:34 PM

I never actually had the goal of being a banker. It was something I just fell into... If I could do it all over again, I'd have been the heavy weight champion of the world (probably not due to the fact that I can't fight worth beans, but a man can dream)....

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 05:32 PM

Quote:

If I could do it all over again, I will be a screenwriter and movie director. Which, I have been doing in my spare time and plan to film in the spring.

Anon because I don't want anyone associating my silly dreams with the day-to-day reality I work in.

I too, wish to be a screenwriter and have been working very hard on script for the last few months. I've found that the book "Story" by Robert McKee has helped me out a lot in terms of organizing and focusing my thoughts.
Posted By: someone else

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 05:33 PM

*sigh*

Never wanted to be in Banking (although my degree is in Finance). I worked in the clothing industry doing product development and merchandising for surf, skate and snowboarding clothes and accessories. I loved it and that's what I wanted to do with my life. But, somewhere out there, some idiots decided it would be a good idea to fly jetliners into buildings, thus sending the retail market into a downward spiral. Long story short: I got laid off. A friend of mine was a loan processor and the real estate boom was just beginning, the bank she worked for needed help, I needed a job...and I have been with it ever since. This is definitely not what I had planned for my life. But it has brought about some good things and I can see paths within banking that I would be interested in taking. Let's see how it turns out!

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 05:36 PM

Quote:

*sigh*

Never wanted to be in Banking (although my degree is in Finance). I worked in the clothing industry doing product development and merchandising for surf, skate and snowboarding clothes and accessories. I loved it and that's what I wanted to do with my life. But, somewhere out there, some idiots decided it would be a good idea to fly jetliners into buildings, thus sending the retail market into a downward spiral. Long story short: I got laid off. A friend of mine was a loan processor and the real estate boom was just beginning, the bank she worked for needed help, I needed a job...and I have been with it ever since. This is definitely not what I had planned for my life. But it has brought about some good things and I can see paths within banking that I would be interested in taking. Let's see how it turns out!

wow... i want to make clothes and purses and shoes, and have a fragrance i love fashion, and the industry!!!sounds kinda like we have something in common wanna go into busines together LOL
Posted By: cheekEE

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 05:36 PM

Hmmmmm Gatto your avatar and my boss should have a "meeting" if you know what I mean.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 05:45 PM

Nunzeo - I have considered it several times over the years. I would like to open a shop. I am also a seamstress, a pattern-maker, a jewelry designer and have a few other talents that would lend themselves well to going into that type of business for myself. The major stumbling block for me is my irritating sense of responsibility. I am a single mother of a small child so I cannot go traipsing off and putting myself and my finances at risk. *sigh again*

Builder Chick - let me know the time and place and I'll make sure my avatar is there. Maybe I will go into the hit-(wom)man profession!
Posted By: huntik

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 06:57 PM

I just took a teller job for the bankers hours while putting my husband through grad school. I have three years left and then I'm free!!!

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 07:01 PM

Kick butt avatar, chica!

Pixie

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 07:05 PM

Yes, I believe I have always wanted to be a banker. I used to balance my mothers checkbook as a toddler, and oh, the times she would take me through the drive through, I'd swoon. I did my 4th grade book report on an article about finance trends in Kiplinger's. Hmmm, those were the days.

And now here I am, my life so fufilled. I thank God every day for the blessings he has bestowed upon me in granting my longest held desire of being.....a compliance officer.

*sigh*

Pixiesprite

(that was for entertainment purposes only)
Posted By: Paul Franklin

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 07:13 PM

Well, I am not actually a banker anymore, I am on the software side now, but all I did to become one was to walk into a branch and apply for a job. I was quite literally hired on the spot (wasn't quite done the application) and 10 months later was the assistant manager of the branch.

I guess 7 years as a gas station attendant wasn't completely wasted.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 07:40 PM

Quote:

Kick butt avatar, chica!

Pixie

Thanks lady! I got it from a friend on another board.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 07:42 PM

No. I started part-time to help me through college, then made a big mistake and went full-time, quitting college. That was 26 years ago and I do regret it.
Posted By: ZGuy20

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 07:44 PM

I work 37 hours a week and do night school, This upcoming semester though I'm scaling back to 26 hours and going to do regular school. I'll only have 1.5 years left, then I get to find a real job in the forensic science field! I rule
Posted By: Zamboni Driver

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 07:52 PM

I guess my story is too common. I took a job as a teller while I figured out what to do with my life, plus pay some bills and school loans off. 13 years later, I'm still trying to figure it out.

If I could do it over again, I would probably move to New York and try my hand in acting or writing, or try and break into the advertising business. But I won't complain, banking has been very good to me.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 07:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kick butt avatar, chica!

Pixie

Thanks lady! I got it from a friend on another board.

Alot of cats hanging around here lately- someone must love those beastly things.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 08:01 PM

ZGuy20, What are you going to do in the forensics field? My husband is a forensic entomologist.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 08:06 PM

Either the chemical side (i.e.) Toxicology reports. Or determining actual cause of death. I'm gonna Minor with a CJ degree (hopefully) so I want to do something with law enforcement
Posted By: Viking Princess

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 08:07 PM

Never even thought about banking, when asked in grade school all the way through high school what I wanted to be I said an OB Dr. I will be that one day or at the very least an OB Nurse- so watch out world. I am working two jobs, supporting myself and taking online classes until I am enrolled in the Nursing Program. I plan on specializing in OB as a nurse and than taking courses in the "off-time" to further my education. So like Zguy, I rule too!

Banking just kind of happened, I was in customer service, real estate, and than moved 3000 miles and applied at a bank. Hired at entry level and worked my way to the top...oh the top meaning a higher floor. ha! just kidding.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 08:14 PM

Very cool, NGuy20! I'm very fascinated buy the entire field. You'll defiantly have some good stories to tell when you get into it.

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 08:19 PM

Yeah hopefully So!
Posted By: Skunk Boy

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 08:32 PM

I started out wanting to be in engineering (my first major was in physics) - when that didn't pan out, I switched my major to Business (Econ). My dad told me to apply for a summer job at the local community bank - they moved me around when I came back for breaks (summer, winter, spring, etc) and then hired me after graduation.

The rest as they say, is history.

I'm still trying to break into the film business - I'm hoping to be an extra on Prison Break!!!
Posted By: RandomName

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 09:02 PM

I wanted to be a cosmonaut, but I wasn't Russian enough.

I stumbled into the banking profession by sheer happenstance (almost literally starting in the mailroom) and then never left due to sheer laziness. My degree is in history, so I would like to take bits of history, clean and refurbish them, and offer them for sale for a modest markup.

My real dream is to become a history professor automatically without the bothersome details of getting a doctorate or sweating tenure or working at Podunk U. Either that, or own a comic book store. WHICH WOULD BE AWESOME.
Posted By: corkygirl

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 10:04 PM

When I graduated from college - eons ago - I thought I would work in a YMCA but ended up as a teacher's assistant until the boys came along. I fell into banking when we were having difficulty putting food on the table and bills paid. A good friend and neighbor worked at a bank nearby and I was hired as a New Accounts Representative and secretary to the president. Now the question would be, did I have any experience as either???? No but I needed the job and 23 years later I'm still in banking - go figure
Posted By: slick

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 10:42 PM

Quote:

I work 37 hours a week and do night school, This upcoming semester though I'm scaling back to 26 hours and going to do regular school. I'll only have 1.5 years left, then I get to find a real job in the forensic science field! I rule

Forensics, that is so awesome. That is what I want to do so bad. Good luck to you. Maybe me too one day. *sigh*

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/24/05 10:50 PM

Thanks! I have a feeling that I'm going to need it!
Posted By: Skyline

Re: did you want to be a banker? - 10/25/05 01:56 PM

Second generation banker and my brother is also in banking. Finance major in college and worked part-time in retail during that time. Got into banking after I was passed over for a promotion.