Best Rock Band of All Time?

Posted By: homestar

Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 02:54 AM

We haven't had one of these posts for a long time. I'm interested in hearing what some of the newer folks have to say.

I say the three greatest rock bands of all time are:

1. CCR
2. The Beatles
3. Led Zeppelin

What do you say?
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:39 AM

Good choices. Some others I'd nominate:

1. The Rolling Stones (obviously)
2. The Who
3. The Kinks (underrated)

CCR's music is great, but they were so short-lived.
Posted By: rainman

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:11 AM

I'm assuming that solo artists are not eligible.

1. Beatles. Probably not my personal favorite, but I'd have to put them at the top of the list. They had amazing range, creativity, they were tight, and their songs stand the test of time.

2. Stones have to be up there also, but I don't think they have what the Beatles had.

3. The Who is great, but I might also make a case for the Eagles - better staying power, more fun.
Posted By: HappyGilmore

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 12:30 PM

actually, Rainman, if you ever watch (or had been to) a live Beatles show, you would see that they were actaully not very good and that their range was poor. It was only in the studio, with take after take after take, that they were able to define their music to perfection. Live, they stunk.

I'd have to say The Who, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, and Nirvana (sure, slam me for this, but then go get a couple of their albums, the musical genius comes right out).
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 12:46 PM

My Top "Rock n Roll" 3:

1. AC/DC
2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. Van Halen- David Lee Roth era
Posted By: Hrothgar Geiger

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 01:11 PM

Limiting the list to 3:
* Cream
* the Doors
* David Bowie

One I'm tempted to include is Ringo Starr and His All-Star Band. The line-up changes all the time, but I've never been disappointed in the shows. Hard to beat a band that includes, say; Ian Hunter, Jack Bruce, Todd Rundgren, Greg Lake, Howard Jones and Ringo Starr.
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 01:39 PM

Zepplin, Tool, RATM, Pink Floyd
Posted By: Carly Girl

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 01:43 PM

Best Ever was Journey when Steve Perry was lead singer. Not the group they have now.

Second was the Eagles but on a current status, I would have to say Third Day. Although Casting Crowns is pretty cool.
Posted By: Jokerman

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 01:56 PM

Hello? Where is The Band? Also, I think U2 should get some consideration at this point.

I agree with the Beatles making the list, but not CCR, and not the Stones. One can make a pretty good case for Zeppelin. Cream is a little short-lived.

Others that bear mentioning (though I am not saying top three):

Dire Straits
Buffalo Springfield (short-lived, also)
The E-Street Band (if you consider it a band)
The Grateful Dead
The Eagles (not my favorites, but they are undeniably a great band)

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 02:08 PM

Quote:

Hello? Where is The Band?

See, that's my problem with making it a list of 3. The Band has to fit somewhere....
Posted By: Roger That

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 02:20 PM

1. Zep......no question in first
2. The Who

Third is up for grabs.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 02:20 PM

The only reason the Kinks are not on all these lists is that they were banned by our government from touring here for 4 or 5 years at the height of their popularity. They regained some of the popularity in the 80s, but they never recovered fully. They started getting their due in teh '90s as many young British acts gave them credit as an important influence. If you listen to their early albums like, Face to Face, Arthur, Lola, Preservation Green Society, you will what a great band they were. Go back and listen to their hits and you will enjoy them, dig in beyond their "hits" and I think you will agree they were an all-time great band.

And they were the source of the music for a great recent commercial. You know the one where the guy takes frames and places them in front of his face and different poses freeze. The song is "Picture Book" from their classic "The Kinks are the Preservation Green Society." (I think that's the name.)

I just started listening to their catalogue a couple of years ago and I am hooked.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 02:51 PM

So you are saying that because they are your favorite band and not everyone likes them, its because of the gov't. Look the Kinks are good, well they were ok. Not my type of music. I can find a ton of reasons that good bands are not on most of these peeps lists.
Posted By: MichelleDawn

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 02:56 PM

How about:

Genesis
Steely Dan
The Doobie Brothers

I'm not saying they are the absolute best, but I would put them near the top of the list.
Posted By: someone else

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:13 PM

Most of my favorites have already been listed but I am going to add some others. I am fairly sure I will be alone in some of these choices but who cares:

Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Scorpions
Bon Jovi
Metallica (although some may classify them as heavy metal)

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:34 PM

Quote:

So you are saying that because they are your favorite band and not everyone likes them, its because of the gov't. Look the Kinks are good, well they were ok. Not my type of music. I can find a ton of reasons that good bands are not on most of these peeps lists.

No, that is not what I am saying. Did I say they were my favorite band? No. I do think they would have scored more hits if they'd not been banned from touring in the US for 4 or 5 years. Anyone who doesn't think that matters to a British band's success, doesn't know much about the music industry and how much touring in America means to their popularity.

The ban also affected their music. Ray Davies became much more introspective in his writing for a time.

Not your type of music? What type of music? Their English folk style music? Their harder electric music? Their dance hall style music? What Kinks songs or albums that you have heard are you saying are just OK?

Musical tastes are so subjective, but I am right.
Posted By: Vee

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:42 PM

Beatles (Legendary)

Today it would be:
Casting Crowns

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:43 PM

Hey, we're forgetting about America's two most popular (by sales) rock bands of all-time. They've actually toured together, but they are both a mere shadow of their former glory.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:44 PM

happygilmore wrote:

Quote:

actually, Rainman, if you ever watch (or had been to) a live Beatles show, you would see that they were actaully not very good and that their range was poor. It was only in the studio, with take after take after take, that they were able to define their music to perfection. Live, they stunk.

Okay, I'll agree that they weren't at their best performing live. But for most of these groups, their "legacy" is not their live performances, but their "body of work". Maybe that includes a couple of good live cuts (i.e., Cream - "Crossroads"), but it's mostly studio albums. The Beatles' range in studio albums is just about unmatched - songs like "Yesterday" and "Norweigan Wood" to "Daytripper" and "Drive My Car" to "Sgt. Pepper" and "Yellow Submarine" to "Revolution."

If you're focusing on live performances, maybe the Stones would get the nod over the Beatles?

I agree, CSNY is/was a great band and their live performances are superb; I'd rank them high in the top 10.

AML, I hear you on Ringo Starr's ASB (great lineup although I don't particularly like Ian Hunter), but I do have a hard time calling it a "band." I'd put Steely Dan up as well - they've had many different players, but at least the main two remained the same.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:50 PM

Quote:

Hey, we're forgetting about America's two most popular (by sales) rock bands of all-time. They've actually toured together, but they are both a mere shadow of their former glory.

I would think the Eagles would be up there (but they've been mentioned) - one of their Greatest Hits albums is one of the top-selling of all time. I'd have to just guess the other - maybe Aerosmith?

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:55 PM

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:56 PM

No, what anon said (I was not referring to you) was that the reason that the Kinks are not on "all of these lists" is because they were banned from touring.

1) I was not referring to your posts, unless you were the anon. In which case read 2.

2) They are not on my list because I do not think they are that good. That is like saying the only reason Tool is not on every list is because they purposely stay out of the popularist eye. OK, well we are comparing them to all music. So, for those who don't like them, good. That is your opinion.

You referrenced that this had an impact on their success because they were a British band. The title of this thread is "Greatest Rock Band of All Time" not most successful. Look, I think that the Kinks are good. But really good. Nah. Its not an argument. The only argument I had was to the quote "the only reason the Kinks is not on all of these lists is".

The reason the Kinks are not on my list, is because I don't think they are one of the greatest rock bands. Not because they were banned from touring here. That is it. I was not saying you were wrong. I was saying that they are not in my list, not because they were banned, because I don't think they were good.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:56 PM

Quote:

AML, I hear you on Ringo Starr's ASB (great lineup although I don't particularly like Ian Hunter), but I do have a hard time calling it a "band." I'd put Steely Dan up as well - they've had many different players, but at least the main two remained the same.

Totally agree. I didn't think they really qualified as a band in the sense that people are discussing. In coming up with my own list, though, they came up because I thought, you know, I always see the ASB when it tours, it's always been a good show, and the people are always having a great time playing together. (I remember in one show Todd Rundgren introducing a song by saying "You know, I never thought in my life I'd say something like this, but, I'm about to play a Cream song with Jack Bruce!!!!"
Posted By: Hated By Some

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:58 PM

CCR? I think we can create a "Nic Cage" thread for them.
Posted By: ZGuy20

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 03:59 PM

I know its 5, but this is them IN ORDER
1. The Rolling Stones
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Red Hot Chilli Peppers
4. Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. Aerosmith

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:00 PM

KISS is the greatest selling rock band every, more gold and platinum records than anyone else. I certainly wouldn't put them in the top 25, much less top 3...(as Love Gun now is stuck in my head...)

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:06 PM

Oh for goodness sakes, happy, I wish you hadn't even typed their name to remind me of them.

I think of them more as performance artists than a band.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:07 PM

shout it, shout it, shout it out loud...
I want to hear you...
shout it shout it shout it out loud

(I think my brother was the worlds biggest KISS fan, he was actually a board member of their KISS Army fan club at one time...)

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:08 PM

Quote:

[the rest of the group stares, stunned by the reckless display of tattered credibility...]

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[the rest of the group stares, stunned by the reckless display of tattered credibility...]

They are, HANDS DOWN, the best live band I've ever seen. They bring an incredible presence and energy to the stage. Plus John Frischonte (sp?) is one of the most deliberate guitarists around.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:12 PM

Quote:

The only argument I had was to the quote "the only reason the Kinks is not on all of these lists is".

Yes, I was the anon and I did overstate my case. I should have said, "The reason they are not on more of these lists is because of the ban at the peak of their popularity."

After listening deep into their catalog over the past two or three years (something I'd never done before), I think more people in the U.S. would think they were one of the top 3 rock bands if this hiatus had not happened as they were peaking in the US. Have you listened deep into their catalog or just what the radio plays? I truly think the 5 year ban damaged what would have been a status as one of the the top rock bands of all time.

You say that you don't think they are that good, but I bet you've never heard one of the albums I named. I don't know if it would change your mind, but its hard to judge a band whose albums you've never heard.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:14 PM

Quote:

shout it, shout it, shout it out loud...
I want to hear you...
shout it shout it shout it out loud

Make it stop, make it stop, please make it stop!!!!

Love your tag line

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:20 PM

Quote:

one of the most deliberate guitarists around.

Deliberate...that's an interesting way to describe a guitarist. Kudos.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As in every note he plays has a purpose and a specific job in the music. I can't tell if you're trying to be a smara$$ or if you're serious, but I'm sensing a lot of sarcasm. I never said you had to like my bands, I was just expressing my humble opinion, and nothing you say or don't say will change my views. Sorry bucko

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:24 PM

I just don't get the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
I think they were way over rated.

I also think Nirvana was over rated. The best band to come out of the Seattle scene was Alice In Chains. They were a killer band!

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:24 PM

I also think Nirvana was over rated. The best band to come out of the Seattle scene was Alice In Chains. They were a killer band!
Posted By: Chiquita Banana

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:29 PM

The Doors (considered as a rock band?)

and

Metallica hands down. (Yeah, yeah, they could be heavy metal but they still rock.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:30 PM

z,

I do not know the names of any of their albums. So it would be easy to say that I have not heard of them. Which I probably have not. But, usually when people are very pleased with a band, they are right. Especially since you listed some of the same bands that I love. So, tonight I will legally download some of their stuff.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:33 PM

And just because they happened to rotate onto my iPod, what about Queen?

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As in every note he plays has a purpose and a specific job in the music. I can't tell if you're trying to be a smara$$ or if you're serious, but I'm sensing a lot of sarcasm. I never said you had to like my bands, I was just expressing my humble opinion, and nothing you say or don't say will change my views. Sorry bucko

I was being a smarta$$ about your listing of the band. I was being complimentary of your description. Learn to accept a compliment, bucko.

Quote:

Metallica hands down. (Yeah, yeah, they could be heavy metal but they still rock.

Metallica USED to be a heavy metal band. They lost all of their swagger and attitude. They don't rock anymore, that last album was complete trash.

"tick tock, tick tock, frantic.... "

Go listen to "Master of Puppets" and try to tell me that "St. Anger" compares to it. Not happenin'

Quote:

You think Alice In Chains were "a killer band"?!??! Holy hell! Somebody get this anon some real taste in music!
For the record, Nirvana WAS overrated, Alice in Chains, was DECENT AT BEST. You don't get the Peppers cause you've probably never been to a concert or owned an album
Posted By: Blind Guardian

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:42 PM

[quoteYou think Alice In Chains were "a killer band"?!??! Holy hell! Somebody get this anon some real taste in music!
For the record, Nirvana WAS overrated, Alice in Chains, was DECENT AT BEST. You don't get the Peppers cause you've probably never been to a concert or owned an album

OK, i had to sign in..... I have been to hundreds of concerts my friend and I do know my metal and hard rock music. Alice in Chains was a killer band, listen to their music and you'll understand. don't listen to what they play on the radio. Listen to songs like nutshell, got me wrong, rain when i die; they are a killer hard rock/metal band and were the best band to come out of the grunge scene.

Of the hundreds of concerts; let's check the list;

black sabbath, ac/dc, aerosmith, pantera, slayer, alice in chains, jerry cantrell, motorhead, clutch, corrosion of conformity, megadeth, metallica, lynyrd skynyrd, john mellencamp, ozzy osboure, pink floyd, roger waters, tom petty, john fogerty, reverend horton heat, zz top, white zombie, kiss, black label society, primus... you want me to keep going?

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:48 PM

Do I see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers on your list? Nope. While you have been to more concerts than myself and have seen some flat out amazing bands, I disagree with Alice in Chains. I fell that any grunge band is overrated, much like Nirvana, especially the ones out of Seattle, due the fact that Nirvana came forth from the same city. Also they lack the longevitiy of RCHP, when was the last time Alice in Chains came out with an album, when were they last on tour, when was the last time they were in the news? A band can be great for an album, but it takes true greatness to continue to evolve and make great music.
Posted By: Hated By Some

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:53 PM

Does longevity necessarily make for a great rock band? Do record sales define greatness? Or can it be subjective?

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 04:53 PM

Quote:

Metallica They don't rock anymore, that last album was complete trash.

Easy to lose your swagger and attitude when you reach middle age (probably raising families) and you are accustomed to riding around in limos and living in mansions.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 05:20 PM

But that's what makes music great, everyone likes something different and it means something different to each person.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 05:24 PM

I agree, it adds to the diversity of the music that is created.
I didn't mean to get all defensive, but music is one of the few passions in my life, and something I take pride in my taste in.
I didn't mean to stomp all over your choices, I get overly defensive, and apologize.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 05:30 PM

Quote:

Does longevity necessarily make for a great rock band? Do record sales define greatness? Or can it be subjective?

On a personal level, I don't think sales or longevity matter. But if you are trying to name the greatest rock bands ever, I think you have to give the nod to bands that touched some universal chord with the masses. A band with poor sales, may be at the top of your list, but it will never be at the top of a list made by a diverse group of rock fans.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 05:36 PM

For what it's worth ... I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 05:38 PM

Quote:

I didn't mean to get all defensive, but music is one of the few passions in my life, and something I take pride in my taste in.
I didn't mean to stomp all over your choices, I get overly defensive, and apologize.

I am the EXACT same die-hard way with music.

Are you my long lost twin?

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 05:39 PM

Quote:

MD has spoken. I guess that settles it; we can lock this thread the RHCP are our winner.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am the EXACT same die-hard way with music.

Are you my long lost twin?

Possibly.... Are you as devilishly handsome as myself

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 05:52 PM

Aerosmith
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
Boston
--------
rock & roll --

Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels
the Rascals
Tommy James & the Shondels

(performance wise)

----------------
pale writer
Posted By: ~Special K~

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:06 PM

My pick:
1. Led Zepplin
2. Motley Crue
3. Van Halen

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:07 PM

Zguy - RHCP are very overrated. All of their music sounds the same. They do put on a killer live concert, but Alice Cooper trumps them for live shows, hands down. And the Sex Pistols were 10 times more frenetic (you were probably not born in time to see the Sex Pistols, sorry about that). If you think RHCP are better than Nirvana and Alice in Chains, you obviously have been in Flea's heroin.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:10 PM

Quote:

Zguy - RHCP are very overrated. All of their music sounds the same. They do put on a killer live concert, but Alice Cooper trumps them for live shows, hands down. And the Sex Pistols were 10 times more frenetic (you were probably not born in time to see the Sex Pistols, sorry about that). If you think RHCP are better than Nirvana and Alice in Chains, you obviously have been in Flea's heroin.

See already related conversation above with blinded... I will not go into it again

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:14 PM

It's so hard to pin point 1 'best rock band of all time' when everyone has different music choices. Look at Rolling Stone magazines list of greatest guitarist...that was a complete embarrassemnt to some of the greatest guitarists ever to grace this earth! But then again, there goes MY opinion.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:17 PM

BTW, if we're talking live concerts as a measure, I'll rank George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers up there. Monodimensional music, but he's good at it and he sure knows how to put on a show!

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:19 PM

I know VH1 recently did a 100 greatest banks countdown, but I don't recall who they had as the top 3. I can't get to their website, blocked by firewall. If someone can to their website and post them, that would be great.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:23 PM

100 greatest banks?

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:28 PM

LMAO!!!

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:29 PM

Quote:

I know VH1 recently did a 100 greatest banks countdown, but I don't recall who they had as the top 3. I can't get to their website, blocked by firewall. If someone can to their website and post them, that would be great.

I bet your bank was #1
Posted By: I_luv_chocolate

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:54 PM

Def Leppard
Scorpions
Bon Jovi

I ditto Gatto's three choices!!!!

B*tchin' choices dude/dudette (to echo a phrase from the hair-band 80's)
Posted By: Peepers

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 07:54 PM

Tool
Rush
Genesis

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/26/05 08:00 PM

I should PM Fightin Blue Hen to check in on this thread. A radio station he and I listen to (WXPN) recently did a listener survey of the 885 best albums, and then played them. Listening to the playlist was a lot like reading this thread; you may have a firm idea of your favorites, but when you see (or hear) someone else's choices, you sometimes think "How did I forget that band or that album?"
Posted By: Spivol

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 12:10 AM

Greatest Bands in no particular order:
Led Zep
Tool
Rush
Pink Floyd
The Who
Aerosmith
Nirvana
Smashing Pumkins
Pearl Jam

Of the above mentioned I like
Tool
Floyd
Pupkins
but I do have to give credit where credit is due.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:14 AM

You guys are all wet. The best band of all time is:

S P I N A L T A P
Posted By: flaire

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:16 AM

#1. Zeppelin
#2. Zeppelin
#3. Zeppelin

Creatively, there are many, many more that pushed musical boundaries. Queen, Iggy Pop, Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Moody Blues and the Yardbirds are some that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Nine Inch Nails too. But overall it has to be Zeppelin for creativity, longevity, show quality and recording quality.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 03:05 AM

SPIVOL

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:19 PM

I would have to throw in Guns n Roses in the mix.
Just on Appetite for Destruction alone. That was a great album.

It's a shame Axl is such a _______ and had to throw it all away.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:28 PM

Quote:

I would have to throw in Guns n Roses in the mix.
Just on Appetite for Destruction alone. That was a great album.

It's a shame Axl is such a _______ and had to throw it all away.

Ohhhhhhhhh how could I have forgotten GNR?? Appetite was by far a great one too!!!
Axl will realize one day what he could've been and it will be too late!

great....now Mr. Brownstone is in my head!!

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MD has spoken. I guess that settles it; we can lock this thread the RHCP are our winner.

It's about time someone realized my power.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:36 PM

Quote:

You guys are all wet. The best band of all time is:

S P I N A L T A P

It goes to 11 see.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:41 PM

Quote:

#1. Zeppelin
#2. Zeppelin
#3. Zeppelin

Creatively, there are many, many more that pushed musical boundaries. Queen, Iggy Pop, Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Moody Blues and the Yardbirds are some that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Nine Inch Nails too. But overall it has to be Zeppelin for creativity, longevity, show quality and recording quality.

I guess you did not hear the recent interview with Robert Plant who said he had not been offered a lot of money to get the band back together, but he wouldn't do it anyway because Zep was a "boy band" and he is beyond that.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:41 PM

BAY CITY ROLLERS!!!!

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 01:45 PM

Zeppelin has also been blamed for stealing music from American blues players.

The Simpsons just had a dig on Jimmy Page for doing it last nite.

I love Zeppelin, if you're going to steal, at least do it good and they certainly did.

"Many times I've loved, many times been bitten....."
Posted By: buggs

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 11:54 PM

Quote:

Hello? Where is The Band?

"He just grinned and shook my hand, and "No!", was all he said."

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 11:56 PM

Quote:

Zeppelin has also been blamed for stealing music from American blues players.

"I ain't foolin'," just ask Willie Dixon.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/27/05 11:58 PM

Quote:

CCR? I think we can create a "Nic Cage" thread for them.

There are no songs better than Have You Ever Seen the Rain?. There may be some just as good, but none better.
Posted By: Anonymoose

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/28/05 12:06 AM

You're darn tootin' Wally!

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/28/05 12:40 AM

What are you doin' out so late, Beav? You better get home right now. Dad's gonna clobber you if he finds out.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/28/05 01:41 AM

Maybe Plant said that because his voice is now no where near where it used to be when he was a "boy"? Zep broke up over 20 years ago, after all...

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/28/05 03:18 AM

Quote:

Maybe Plant said that because his voice is now no where near where it used to be when he was a "boy"? Zep broke up over 20 years ago, after all...

No, this is what he said:

"We were a boy band and I'm not a boy any more. I prefer my career to have a bit of dignity now."
He said: "My show is sometimes a bit of a hard ticket to sell because it's not about nostalgia. I don't want to do a greatest hits style tour"I want to be thought of alongside people like Tom Waits, Willie Nelson or Alex Chilton - guys who turn their music around on themselves."
How does he rate the new breed of Zeppelin-influenced acts - led by The Darkness?

"What can I say?" said Robert, laughing. "There's a style of rock pantomime which moved through Meatloaf and Queen and I think The Darkness have nailed that.

"I don't think they ever pretended there was anything hugely serious about what they were doing."

But Robert has harsh words for another modern band.

He said: "Imagine when Coldplay go solo - it'll save getting out the Valium

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/28/05 03:19 AM

Quote:

What are you doin' out so late, Beav? You better get home right now. Dad's gonna clobber you if he finds out.

Gee whiz Wally, I am home.
Posted By: Spivol

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/29/05 01:20 PM

You guys forgot about Milli Vanilli.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/29/05 01:50 PM

New York Dolls
Posted By: homestar

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/29/05 10:11 PM

Quote:

You guys forgot about Milli Vanilli.

Dang it, you're right! How could I forget? I'm gonna replace Led Zeppelin with Milli Vanilli on my list!

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/30/05 09:15 AM

The Ramones

Eddie and the Cruisers?

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/30/05 05:46 PM

Quote:

"We were a boy band and I'm not a boy any more. I prefer my career to have a bit of dignity now."

I actually admire what he has done since going solo. Some of it I don't like, but I do admire it. Just like I admire Page and Jones for their behind-the-scenes work in production.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/31/05 01:43 PM

Anyone remember a band called Black Sabbath?

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/31/05 02:13 PM

I thought I mentioned Black Sabbath but you are definitely right!

I saw them for probably the last time, well the ozzy version, this past summer and they couldn't have gone out on a better note in my eyes. They were awesome and even broke out "Dirty Women" (my favorite Sabbath tune).
Posted By: Miss Chee

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/31/05 04:06 PM

SuperSuckers

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/31/05 04:13 PM

Quote:

SuperSuckers

I saw these guys open for the Reverend Horton Heat. They were pretty good.

The Reverend Horton Heat is one of my favorite rock n roll bands. He just put out a X-Mas Cd that I want to pick up.

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/31/05 04:38 PM

Best Bands of all time:

Hansen
Millie Vanillie
NKOTB
98 Degrees
Yani
Don Johnson or Bruce Willis

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/31/05 04:54 PM

Quote:

Best Bands of all time:

Hansen
Millie Vanillie
NKOTB
98 Degrees
Yani

If you're gonna knock "Hanson" at least spell it correctly... its with an "O" believe me I know... its my last name... and yes... I was called MMMBop in Jr. High...

Re: Best Rock Band of All Time? - 10/31/05 04:59 PM

Quote:

Best Bands of all time:

Hansen
Millie Vanillie
NKOTB
98 Degrees
Yani

You forgot Menudo.