SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW

Posted By: corkygirl

SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 11:46 AM

Up early this morning to make sure hubbie and I can get to work with all this "lovely, beautiful, sparkly, fun" snow the Chicago area got last night!!!!!!!!!! Glad I wasn't on that Southwest flight at Midway last night that went off the runway. We were going to fly to Pittsburgh for the Steeler/Bears game (and visit family of-course ) but decided to cancel with all the snow here and there. Nothing like driving in the Pittsburgh area in a snow storm! I know the storm "gifted" a lot of us yesterday and some will be hit today, so - how you all doing today?
Posted By: Hrothgar Geiger

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 12:53 PM

Took the train into Philadelphia this morning to avoid a very messy drive.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 01:19 PM

Working from home today...
Posted By: MichelleDawn

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 01:29 PM

I had a Christmas tree staked down in my front yard and when I woke up this morning the wind had blown it over. We didn't get a ton of snow, but the wind and temperatures are brutal today and the roads are icy.
Posted By: Rainbow Girl

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 01:32 PM

No snow here Temps are going to be in the 50's. We had rain yesterday. The weather is supposed to clear today and be beautiful this weekend. Tomorrow night is our Bank Christmas Party. I here it's a lot of fun.
Posted By: renniks

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 02:01 PM

DQ....Me too!!! Lucky us!
Posted By: JacF

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 02:05 PM

Quote:

Took the train into Philadelphia this morning to avoid a very messy drive.

Of course, that drive can be messy in any weather.

I walked to work today through our 6" and still falling. Hopefully my son will have my driveway cleaned out by lunchtime.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 02:07 PM

I dominate driving in the snow. Too bad other people act like they've never seen it before. Only 1/2 late here.

Ronzie the Snowman
Posted By: *nUnZeO*

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 02:13 PM

Quote:

I dominate driving in the snow. Too bad other people act like they've never seen it before. Only 1/2 late here.

Ronzie the Snowman

well down here in tx we don't know how to drive in the ice/snow its scary especially when the ice is like an inch or more and you know you are "ice skating" with your car
Posted By: Zamboni Driver

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 02:16 PM

Last night was far worse in Indy than this morning. Took me 2 hours to get home (normal 20 minute commute). One of the Pacers players didn't make it to the game until half time because traffic was so bad.

ZD
Posted By: slick

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 02:17 PM

I was ice skating with my car to work today. We were supposed to get a lot of snow, but we only got about an inch or so with a whole bunch of ice. It was not fun at all, especially at 6am.

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 02:22 PM

Quote:

Last night was far worse in Indy than this morning. Took me 2 hours to get home (normal 20 minute commute). One of the Pacers players didn't make it to the game until half time because traffic was so bad.

ZD

Croshere. Good game too. I played in high school against that lithuanian point gard. he came to the states in high school and ended up in this really rural town in lancaster county pa.

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 02:23 PM

Quote:

I was ice skating with my car to work today. We were supposed to get a lot of snow, but we only got about an inch or so with a whole bunch of ice. It was not fun at all, especially at 6am.

yea its only fun at about 11pm-3am me and the bf went out and had fun!! we did 360 his car is rear wheel drive and no one was out, and all of our friends had to go home b/c their moms told them they couldn't go out! it was fun we were slippin and slidin all over the place!! and going down hills was awesome!!! we had a good time we even ice skated with our shoes, at our apt complex it was like a really big skating rink b/c the sand trucks don't go in there everything was ice!!
Posted By: Nanwa

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 03:49 PM

Temps are moving up slowly from single digits this week to the 30s by next week. But this snow is bugging me. An inch every other day. I would rather we get 6 inches at once, (preferably on the weekend), then be clear the rest of the week. I miss the sun!
Posted By: Bengals Fan

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 03:50 PM

Cincinnati got about 4 inches at rush hour yesterday. Shockingly, the roads were clear this morning.

We do expect a bit more over the weekend, however.
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 04:17 PM

8 inches here.
Posted By: Hated By Some

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 04:29 PM

Quote:

8 inches here.

lol! but seriously...

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 04:30 PM

Ron get your mind outa the gutter!
Posted By: The Incredible ComplyGuy

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 04:31 PM

Oh, were we talking about snow?
Posted By: slick

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 04:32 PM

Oh good lord.
Posted By: tahdah

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 06:27 PM

Back to the snow. We had 6 inches on the ground when we awoke. Plows came thru around 11AM, now the driveway is blocked. All the schools are closed. Ok, enough for the season, now lets get some sun and see the ground.
Posted By: Tesla

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 08:06 PM

Are you crazy? This is beautiful and 6 inches of snow closed the schools? Was there a lot of wind? Where do you live - somewhere where you do not normally get snow?

I love the stuff and can't wait to escape this place and go snowmobiling!

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 10:18 PM

You guys think you have it bad. Here is the 5-day Milwaukee forecast.

http://www.tmj4.com/_content/weather/

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 10:43 PM

SkiDoo I live in SE Michigan. I hate snow. There's something about getting older and living in this climate that happens to most of us. I don't know anyone around here that revels in the thought of snow. No one says "Oh goody it's going to snow", except for kids and teachers. The schools never closed when I was a kid, we always went, but now they are afraid of lawsuits if the bus has an accident or a kid or teacher slips on the snow and ice. Every single school in SE MI was closed today. Working parents are stuck, banks don't cut any slack for parents and people are idiots. It took my husband and kid about an hour to shovel (no we don't have a snow blower because someone in the family thinks shoveling is good exercise). I could live with snow on Christmas morning and I would have my fill. I used to snowmobile, cross country and down hill ski, tobaggin, skate, etc. but none of that excites me anymore. Give me sun, summer, and 70 degrees. I won't even venture into our hot tub in the winter anymore. If I never see snow in my life again, I will be happy. At least I now have a garage for my car, first time in my life. Can't wait to move someplace warm, not hot, just warm and sunny.

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 11:01 PM

Maybe we should switch jobs? I'm in IL though so you won't get much more sun here! My husband and I would move up north in a heartbeat if we thought we could find jobs.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't enjoy the snow anymore. I don't like to drive in it (mostly because of others), but otherwise - I love how it slows everyone down and looks so beautiful. I have to admit, I didn't think about it from the lawsuit perspective (and I'm a paralegal!), but generally, if it is a natural occurrence (act of God) you can't be responsible, but you still have the hassle of proving that fact.

BTW, it took me 45 minutes to shovel a path down my 80' long driveway this morning. Thankfully - this was a light, fluffy snow or I would probably be dead! My hubbie thinks it's great exercise too -but he's in Colorado snowmobiling right now - so guess who gets the exercise! Although, I am sure he will be digging his sled out a few times and that will be pretty good exercise too!

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/09/05 11:10 PM

SD, just a note, I was with old friends in the spring that were moving back to MI from Fla. They went on and on how much that hated Florida, the heat and the crowds. They moved up to Traverse City (which I thought was totally crazy because of the snow, my family has a cabin in Northern MI where I spent alot of winters and they always came with us). They couldn't wait to ski, snowmobile, hunt, hike, etc as we did as teenagers. Well now they are saying, too much snow, too cold and too many tourists. Now they are looking to move out of Traverse. I think once you hit around 50 you just need warmth (at least my husband and I do). I'll agree it can be very beautiful out of the city in the winter, but one does get cabin fever after a while.

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/12/05 04:14 PM

My husband and I visited Traverse City this past summer! The view of the big bay is incredible!
I hear all the time when we get older we will not want to live up there, but I really think we will. We met the sweetest older couple in Presque Isle, WI. They were riding a two-up and said they just "ride around" and enjoy the scenery. I can see me and my husband being like that.

I can believe if you don't ski, snowmobile, snow shoe, etc, you would get sick of the snow and I imagine the spring is just awful (with all the melting), but I can't imagine how great it would be to walk out my door, hop on my sled and hit the trails instead of driving 6 hours or more to get to snow!

Everybody likes something different and I hope you get to your place in the sun sometime. In the meantime, I will keep praying for snow!:)
Posted By: Vee

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/13/05 02:36 PM

I want some too!!! No snow here.....

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/13/05 05:51 PM

Well head on up to SE MI. Light dusting so far today with 4 - 6 inches expected by tomorrow morning. That will be added to the 6 inches already on the ground. In some of the shopping centers the snow has been plowed to around 7 feet high. It's going to take a long, long time for those piles to melt if this cold weather keeps up. January thaw, please come early!

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/13/05 08:08 PM

Same snow expected in the Chicago area starting tonight!!! Had snow again on Saturday, the "dusting" they said we were going to have turned into more than an inch. Did you see the snow in Pittsburgh for the Steeler/Bears games????? Glad we decided to stay home

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/14/05 03:09 PM

yep in Dallas we are expected to have some a couple days in a row but it was just like 55 degrees yesterday!! wacky texas whether!!

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/14/05 03:10 PM

sorry guys i'm a little sleepy *weather*
Posted By: Snowqueen

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/14/05 03:44 PM

We received about 3-4 inches overnight. The roads were nasty this morning. It is still snowing lightly. I am hoping the snowmobile trails open soon....vrrrooooooommm!!!

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/14/05 03:48 PM

i have never been my parents have they said its deangerous, well can be at times anyway snowq i would love to go, i just hope it snows and not ices

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/15/05 05:52 PM

We are getting dumped on. I just came in (noon) and shoveled about 4 inches since about 7:00 this morning. Really coming down hard. Heavy and wet, I couldn't even finish shoveling. Just made a path for the poor mailperson and cleared the steps. They say 9 inches before it's done. The kids are in school since it wasn't bad in the morning. I'm going to have to venture out again to pick kids up and it will be really bad, the plows are no where to be seen. I went out at about 11:00 and by the time I finished shopping 11:45 the roadss were horrible. I could cross country around my neighborhood and I'm not in the country or far out burbs!

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/15/05 05:54 PM

Sounds like you are getting what we had yesterday, so you must be east of Wisconsin. We got 7-8 inches over 8 hours. It took me twice as long to get home. When I pulled in the driveway, MOML was just coming out to look for me. He was sure I was in a ditch!
Posted By: Raiderette

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/15/05 05:55 PM

Would you like to send some of that my way? We got like a mm of snow, and that's it. There seems to be no snow in the forecast anytime soon.

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/15/05 06:02 PM

Yes Nanwa, east of Wisc and beginning to feel somewhere near the North Pole!
Posted By: 02bonne

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/15/05 06:06 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you are getting what we had yesterday, so you must be east of Wisconsin. We got 7-8 inches over 8 hours. It took me twice as long to get home. When I pulled in the driveway, MOML was just coming out to look for me. He was sure I was in a ditch!

In Milwaukee, it was supposed to snow 4-6 inches yesterday, but it ended up snowing about 2 and raining the rest of the time. I ended up shoveling slush and ensuring a bad back when I get old.
Posted By: pjs

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/15/05 06:23 PM

Ohio is getting hit by some - we have freezing rain, sleet and snow mixing - now the drive in to work this morning was not bad at all- the roads were snowy but I didn't have any problems- but my daughers' school closed along with a couple other ones- I think they were anticipating more freezing rain and the back roads of course- at least its not SO COLD out right now. I was going to take mom shopping after work today but they have the advisory out for later so we are going to go tomorrow afternoon instead.
I can't wait to leave work and get the heck home! Hey, what's a little winter wonderland I guess.

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/16/05 04:11 PM

We got two more inches of wet, snowman making snow. So, I went out to make a snowman to cheer me up. Then went in the house to get him a hat and some veggies for his face. I had a carrot for the nose, but...nothing for the eyes and/or mouth. So, I took the only other vegetable we had in the fridge - beets. Never use beets on a snowman! He's pink all over! Looks like he's bleeding or something! I tried to cover up the pink with fresh snow, but I know, whenever the day gets warm enough to melt him some, he's gonna be pink!
Posted By: someone else

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/16/05 04:21 PM

Hee hee! Nanwa - one day you will look back at this very sad and tragic day and a smile will be brought to your face by the memory of your pink snowman!

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/16/05 05:17 PM

Nanwa your snow is again heading here. Just looked out and it is snowing again. They say at least another inch on top of yesterdays 6 inches which is ontop of the 6 inches last week. And you are right it is a wet snow, really hard to shovel.

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/16/05 06:04 PM

And guess what you'll get tommorrow? More snow! I wish it would stop already!

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/16/05 06:20 PM

Woke up to "light" snow again today, enough to make my little yellow VW bug slip and slide on the way to work. Now getting cold again. Oh well, at least it will be at "White Christmas" this year!!!
Posted By: Edr55

Re: SNOW-SNOW-SNOW-SNOW - 12/16/05 06:27 PM

Everyone needs to read the Montana/Dakota Blizzard thread when they get a second. Pretty entertaining!!!